Camera Bag or Belt solution? EPL5

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,217Gear list
Like?
Camera Bag or Belt solution? EPL5
10 months ago

So I have the EPL5 with 12mm and 45mm (doubt I'll ever use the kit lens) and I need a solution for carrying these around.

I will have the 12mm on my Camera 80% of the time, and the other 20% will be the 45mm, however I want to smallest set up possible to carry these around in.

So what bag would you recommend that looks trendy, and is functional (not worried about weather, will probably weather proof it with water repellent spray).

Had also thought about a belt case to hold the camera with 12mm on it, and belt lens holder for the 45mm.  Any suggestions there?

The only other thing I would carry is the OEM flash, but don't need extra space for that.

Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rare wolf
Contributing MemberPosts: 885
Like?
Re: Camera Bag or Belt solution? EPL5
In reply to superstar905, 10 months ago

Rather than a typical shoulder bag, I purchased a LowePro sling-style bag.  As a sling, it is very easy to bring the bag from back around to front, and when it's in front the main opening is on top, and at the perfect height, which makes it very easy to access.

-- hide signature --

cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Cogito ergo zZOooOMm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
superstar905
Like?
In reply to rare wolf, 10 months ago

I really like this idea....the bag however is almost too big for me, almost like a purse, but maybe I can get some use from the extra space...Thanks for sharing:

http://www.lowepro.com/passport-sling-ii-feature#prettyPhoto

Glad I asked.  Any more idea's?

rare wolf wrote:

Rather than a typical shoulder bag, I purchased a LowePro sling-style bag.  As a sling, it is very easy to bring the bag from back around to front, and when it's in front the main opening is on top, and at the perfect height, which makes it very easy to access.

-- hide signature --

cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Cogito ergo zZOooOMm

smithling
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?

superstar905 wrote:

So I have the EPL5 with 12mm and 45mm (doubt I'll ever use the kit lens) and I need a solution for carrying these around.

I will have the 12mm on my Camera 80% of the time, and the other 20% will be the 45mm, however I want to smallest set up possible to carry these around in.

So what bag would you recommend that looks trendy, and is functional (not worried about weather, will probably weather proof it with water repellent spray).

Had also thought about a belt case to hold the camera with 12mm on it, and belt lens holder for the 45mm. Any suggestions there?

The only other thing I would carry is the OEM flash, but don't need extra space for that.

1. I am really impressed with the build quality of my Kata bag which I've had for years and still looks brand new. I think it will last longer than I will.  You can choose a bag based on what kit you carry and your style here: http://www.kata-bags.us/
  2. Slow Tools makes a very fine bag as well. http://shop.slow-web.com/?pid=64360187
JBurnett
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
Here's "trendy" for you...

Lots of choices from Domke 5xb to Think-tank's mirrorless series. One of the "trendiest" options is the ONA Bowery, which can be used with a strap, or used as an insert in a larger bag.

http://vimeo.com/51532574

http://vimeo.com/53515330

Ona Bowery (B&H)

-- hide signature --
 JBurnett's gear list:JBurnett's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +6 more
superstar905
Like?
In reply to smithling, 10 months ago

smithling wrote:

superstar905 wrote:

Had also thought about a belt case to hold the camera with 12mm on it, and belt lens holder for the 45mm. Any suggestions there?

1. I am really impressed with the build quality of my Kata bag which I've had for years and still looks brand new. I think it will last longer than I will.  You can choose a bag based on what kit you carry and your style here: http://www.kata-bags.us/
  2. Slow Tools makes a very fine bag as well. http://shop.slow-web.com/?pid=64360187

The kata bags are also really cool.  i think I'm liking the sling solution actually.  Not digging the Slow Tools bags, but thank you.

These have opened up a whole new world for me.

superstar905
Like?

I think I am sold on this:

http://www.kata-bags.us/lightri-312-dl-for-small-dslr-w-kit-lens-2-lenses

or this:

http://www.kata-bags.us/nimble-3-dl-for-dslr-with-2-lens-kit-flash-ktdl-n-3

This next one is smaller and like the versatility of choosing between a shoulder strap or belt, just not sold on the design:

http://www.kata-bags.us/marvelx-40-dl-4-3-camera-pouch

honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 952Gear list
Like?

Most camera bags are dreadfully thick. Pictures do not usually convey that point but you have to remember that the smallest DSLRs, despite the fact that they're smaller than the largest M43 cameras, are still MUCH thicker than any M43 camera due to the 45 degree angle mirror, which means they have to be thicker than the sensor size, at the very least. Try to get a picture or video of a person actually wearing the bag. For instance, here's a picture of someone wearing a Think Tank Retrospective 5:

You can see that this is going to be a pretty thick bag on your side and still look pretty camera baggy. So I would avoid getting any bag that says they can fit an SLR, because such bags will be thick.

Only bags specifically made for rangefinders and mirrorless cameras avoid the thickness issue. My favorite of these bags is the Domke F-803. It's very stylish and comes in several different colors, and most importantly, is not thick. It's big enough for any of the Olympus cameras (though a bit small for the E-M5, but I make it work) and you should easily be able to insert the E-PL5 with any of the smaller primes attached. I kept an E-PL5 w/ the 25mm attached in it most of the time, and it fit just fine.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
smithling
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?

superstar905 wrote:

I think I am sold on this:

http://www.kata-bags.us/lightri-312-dl-for-small-dslr-w-kit-lens-2-lenses

or this:

http://www.kata-bags.us/nimble-3-dl-for-dslr-with-2-lens-kit-flash-ktdl-n-3

This next one is smaller and like the versatility of choosing between a shoulder strap or belt, just not sold on the design:

http://www.kata-bags.us/marvelx-40-dl-4-3-camera-pouch

I was looking at the Nimble 3 Dl for myself for a small walk-about bag. My current Kata bag is a laptop/camera field bag -- which, to reiterate, is built really really well.

superstar905
Like?
In reply to honeyiscool, 10 months ago

Thank you!  I'll look at teh Domke's...pricy though..

honeyiscool wrote:

Most camera bags are dreadfully thick. Pictures do not usually convey that point but you have to remember that the smallest DSLRs, despite the fact that they're smaller than the largest M43 cameras, are still MUCH thicker than any M43 camera due to the 45 degree angle mirror, which means they have to be thicker than the sensor size, at the very least. Try to get a picture or video of a person actually wearing the bag. For instance, here's a picture of someone wearing a Think Tank Retrospective 5:

You can see that this is going to be a pretty thick bag on your side and still look pretty camera baggy. So I would avoid getting any bag that says they can fit an SLR, because such bags will be thick.

Only bags specifically made for rangefinders and mirrorless cameras avoid the thickness issue. My favorite of these bags is the Domke F-803. It's very stylish and comes in several different colors, and most importantly, is not thick. It's big enough for any of the Olympus cameras (though a bit small for the E-M5, but I make it work) and you should easily be able to insert the E-PL5 with any of the smaller primes attached. I kept an E-PL5 w/ the 25mm attached in it most of the time, and it fit just fine.

superstar905
Like?

even the Domke f803 seems big....

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/04/09/review-domke-f-803-camera-satchel-ruggedwear/

That is certainly a look I like.

superstar905
Like?

Ok, this is the "size" I am looking for I think.  If you watch the video, you can see room for a spare lens and camera with lens attached.  With an EPL5, 12mm, and 45mm (both tiny lenses), this bag may still have lots of room (just not as stylish unfortunately, but not bad):

3 million Dollar Home:

http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-Million-Dollar-Camera-Gunmetal/dp/B009V6CWX2

superstar905
Like?

I like the Crumpler, but has anyone tried the National Geographic photo bags? Look at this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/731800-REG/National_Geographic_NG_A2210_NG_A2210_Africa_Series.html

Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 855Gear list
Like?

Maybe I'm too much of a novice and I'm just blissfully unaware of the convenience or requirements for space with a small ILC, I really haven't had mine very long, or maybe I'm just very cheap... But the vast majority of suggestions in the thread look like total overkill for an E-PL5 and two tiny primes. I bought into M43 for the size, never owned a DSLR because I knew I'd never take it anywhere, so any bag that can actually fit any kind of DSLR (specially with a lens attached) is already grossly oversized if you ask me, specially if you're just toting some small primes and a rangefinder body. If we were talking about a G6 with a 45-200 and a bunch of other lenses it'd be different...
When I got my GF6 I tried to find something *made* for a camera but truly small, I found a couple waist packs or slings that were close to what I wanted but most were pretty overpriced. Eventually I went to two local surf shops and found two fanny packs I liked... Is there a more manly standard name for these things btw? You don't even wanna know what the slang term for them is in Spanish! In any case, I never wear either around my waist, just use them over my shoulder... One's an O'Neill and the other's Quicksilver, popular surfwear brands.

I think my GF6's about the size of an E-PL5, I can easily fit it into the larger of the two packs I got with the kit lens attached (main pocket: lens down, screen up) while having room besides it for the 45mm, one other similarly sized lens, and one pancake prime in some other pocket; and I still have a couple of extra pockets for a battery, Purell, a small multitool, cables (data/USB OTG for tablet/phone access), SD card, etc. I can even fit my sunglasses in there depending on how I arrange stuff (and whether it's a pair of flatter Ray Bans or my larger Oakleys).

The smaller pack I got has less extra pockets for knick knacks but I can easily still fit the camera plus kit lens, 45mm, and 20mm with room leftover for sunglasses or something... It's also a bit more pliable and conscious against my back, the other one's a bit thicker and more protective... I could just add some padding to either anyway (probably will to the smaller one). They were like $15-25, like I said, maybe I'm just ridiculously cheap. I can post pictures tomorrow if anyone's curious. I just don't see the sense in larger bags unless you're carrying some long tele lenses or at least something larger than the average M4/3 prime (a 12-35mm maybe, probably wouldn't fit super well in my packs).

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
Sunny Caribe
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
In reply to Impulses, 10 months ago

Impulses wrote:

...But the vast majority of suggestions in the thread look like total overkill for an E-PL5 and two tiny primes. I bought into M43 for the size, never owned a DSLR because I knew I'd never take it anywhere, so any bag that can actually fit any kind of DSLR (specially with a lens attached) is already grossly oversized if you ask me, specially if you're just toting some small primes and a rangefinder body.

I completely agree with this.  I have the smallest Lowepro waist pack for my G6 kit, and I could easily fit THREE G6s in it, and EACH with an extra lens.  Manufacturers' reticence to design and market a dedicated compact camera waist pack just baffles me.

...I can post pictures tomorrow if anyone's curious. I just don't see the sense in larger bags unless you're carrying some long tele lenses or at least something larger than the average M4/3 prime (a 12-35mm maybe, probably wouldn't fit super well in my packs).

I would love to see what you've found if you have a moment to share a pic or two.

-- hide signature --

Rick

rgbdave
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?

I've two Domke f-803 bags, one for an e-pl3 + lumix 14-45mm, 25mm and a few accessories plus general day-to-day or travel stuff [phone, sketch book etc], the other an e-pl5 and the rest of my m4/3 stuff. I carry the e-pl3 everywhere, the e-pl5 is for days when out expecting to take photos/travel. I originally bought the first f-803 to carry a Nikon dslr plus lenses, then bought the 2nd as a backup as I was so happy with the first I wanted another ready for when the first wore out. As it happens the first is still going strong, several years and much travel later [as well as being carried everyday as my general work bag]. Both are just the standard canvas finish. They're really great bags, and being the messenger style are pretty thin and light, so not as large as the width and height dimensions might suggest.

If you like the Domke style but want smaller, they also have F-5, F-8 and F-10 types which are way smaller [I also use an F-5 for when I really want to travel light]

-- hide signature --
 rgbdave's gear list:rgbdave's gear list
DxO Optics Pro Standard
superstar905
Like?
In reply to rgbdave, 10 months ago

I've two Domke f-803 bags, one for an e-pl3 + lumix 14-45mm, 25mm and a few accessories plus general day-to-day or travel stuff [phone, sketch book etc], the other an e-pl5 and the rest of my m4/3 stuff. I carry the e-pl3 everywhere, the e-pl5 is for days when out expecting to take photos/travel. I originally bought the first f-803 to carry a Nikon dslr plus lenses, then bought the 2nd as a backup as I was so happy with the first I wanted another ready for when the first wore out. As it happens the first is still going strong, several years and much travel later [as well as being carried everyday as my general work bag]. Both are just the standard canvas finish. They're really great bags, and being the messenger style are pretty thin and light, so not as large as the width and height dimensions might suggest.

If you like the Domke style but want smaller, they also have F-5, F-8 and F-10 types which are way smaller [I also use an F-5 for when I really want to travel light]

-- hide signature --

that f5 looks like a good option. ya, I want a small solution. enough for a 12mm attached to the epl5, and the 45mm. nothing else.

I didnt realize the size of some of these bags until I looked them up on youtube

guido1953
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?

Go to the Lowepro  web site and use their "bag finder" utility

Regards,

John

honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 952Gear list
Like?

superstar905 wrote:

that f5 looks like a good option. ya, I want a small solution. enough for a 12mm attached to the epl5, and the 45mm. nothing else.

I didnt realize the size of some of these bags until I looked them up on youtube

http://genefamaphotography.com/post/2614330683/leica-m-kit-bags-for-glamour-and-stealth

This shows the size of the Domke bags very nicely:

I think the F803 is a perfect size, honestly. It's really small, smaller than many women's purses, and given how ginormous an Olympus charger is, it can be a very awkward fit on some small camera bags. If it looks a bit big to you in pictures, it's because it has the look of a much larger bag while still being small, thereby it looks less like a man purse and more like a messenger bag. Most messenger bags are a lot bigger than the F803. Most importantly, it's not thick. It's very slim. If anything, that F-5 looks a little too purse-y, and while it's the same thickness as the F-803, the smaller overall dimensions actually make it look more boxlike, which to me is very uncomfortable.

At more of a budget, Think Tank Mirrorless Mover series is another winner.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-camera-bags/mirrorless-mover.aspx

I honestly think if you're absolutely sure that you're only carrying exactly what you described, the Mirrorless Mover 10 should be more than enough.

If you are truly cheap, here's another solution:

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-CA48B-Deluxe-Medium-Camera/dp/B001T9N120

It's $8 and holds any M43 camera just fine.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
andrewcooper
Regular MemberPosts: 230
Like?

i have the 4 million dollar for my OMD and it is fantastic for body and a couple of lenses

-- hide signature --

www.andrewcooperphotography.co.uk

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads