RX1 or x100s

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,690Gear list
Like?
It's really simple.
In reply to Don Mario, 7 months ago

The Sony has a higher resolution and should take better images.

The Fuji is the better looking one.

So taking pictures of the Fuji with the Sony makes perfect sense.

Another reason to take pictures with the Sony is when the Fuji is in low light, the Fuji will look awesome in low light.

Yet another advantage is when you want to have fun, take the Fuji.

Enough dough to blow so what's the problem?

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?
Re: It's really simple.
In reply to Limburger, 7 months ago

Limburger wrote:

The Sony has a higher resolution and should take better images.

The Fuji is the better looking one.

So taking pictures of the Fuji with the Sony makes perfect sense.

Another reason to take pictures with the Sony is when the Fuji is in low light, the Fuji will look awesome in low light.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

LOL

+1

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +1 more
Don Mario
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to Limburger, 7 months ago

good one!

not really sure if fuji looks better - definitely looks more hipster. sony seems to be more discrete here - just a piece of electronics.

flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,863Gear list
Like?
What have you decided?

So what are you going to buy?

Of course the ultimate is the L brand and lenses for the really well heeled.

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,690Gear list
Like?

Hi Don,

Of course my post was joking with your question.

But I think the question really is FF vs crop.

Do you want/need a FF sensor?

Both camera's take good pictures but with the Sony you can go till 11, though for the money I'd look at the A7 in this price bracket.

In case you tend to use onboard flash you may be interested in this thread.

Note the Fuji syncs up to 1/2000 with on board flash! (and does it quite well).

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
nick101
Contributing MemberPosts: 618Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1 or x100s

Don Mario wrote:

Dears

I did use the search option and I went though similar threads. However, I'm still not clear about all the pros/ cons and still can't make up my mind!

The question is: if the $$$ was not a problem, 35mm was the perfect one and you were able to sacrifice the viewfinder - which one would you pick - rx1 or x100s? And why?

Thank you for your help!

Don Mario

I'm not being snarky (well, not intending to but that sounds a bit like "If you remove all the advantages of the X100s, which one would you buy.

If money was no object AND I didn't want a viewfinder, then the RX1 would be my choice; but it is AND I do, so it hasn't been.

nick101's gear list:nick101's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
boinkphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 922Gear list
Like?
In reply to PenPix, 7 months ago

PenPix wrote:

RX1: Amazing quality.

X100s: Cool look

Substance over style. Your choice.

Based on owning two X-Trans sensor cameras and looking at a lot of X100s photos here and elsewhere, it is more than "style vs. substance". Both cameras take exceptional photos.

It's not the size of the sensor, it's what you do with it.

-- hide signature --
Don Mario
Like?
Re: What have you decided?
In reply to flbrit, 7 months ago

I've got x100s and I'm playing around with this. so far looks good! but I'll be checking rx1 over the weekend.

the lens (the lens engine?) makes lots of noise while AF. if you do video with continuous AF the AF sound is getting recorded. is it normal?

Don Mario
Like?
In reply to nick101, 7 months ago

thanks nick! yes, you're right - actually in a way this was my question.

in other words - are price and viewfinder the only advantages of x100s over rx1?

boinkphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 922Gear list
Like?

Assuming you really want to limit it to these two cameras, here's what I'd do:

Go to "flickr" and other similar sites where you can separate images by camera make (I usually look at the various "flickr" camera groups). Look through the pictures for the cameras in question. If you see ones you like, zoom in as much as you can to see if whatever quality about the image you liked holds at higher magnification. Spend quite a bit of time doing this until you are confident that one or the other cameras appeals to your image preference.

I use this technique because to me the build and specs of a camera only matters so much. What really matters is I like the output, and not all output is created equal. That doesn't mean the output is worse, but we all have a preference for an image "look" and it doesn't pay to buy a camera that can't consistently output your "style" of image.

As an example, I looked at the A7 and A7r images and no question it can take technically great photos, but for me the particular color emphasis doesn't do it for me. I'm sure it does for others. Similarly, my best friend in the film days used to shoot Kodak slides, which had great yellows and reds. I preferred Velvia with it's great greens and blues (and reds if you ask me). Just a preference - doesn't make one "better", but it does matter to the photographer and the ultimate aims of your images.

Yes, in PP you can do a lot to "normalize" these differences. However, first of all you don't want to have to "normalize" all of your images. Second, much as people claim otherwise, it really isn't that easy to match looks between cameras. Sometimes the data just doesn't seem to be there.

In the end I don't really get that people say that camera X is the obvious choice simply because it has better specs. I also don't agree that the IQ is automatically better because it has better specs. There is a lot more to it than that - the sort of special sauce in the curves, the sensor, and the processing that each camera has. To me that special sauce and the resulting image trumps all other concerns - if the end image doesn't do it for me, the best specs in the world can't make up for it.

Good luck on your decision!

-- hide signature --
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 946Gear list
Like?
Which one will you actually use?

I was about to buy the RX1, but it was when I was selling my Nex equipment and I realized that I didn't like the RX1 for the same reason I didn't like the Nex. It didn't feel like a camera. This may be a strange statement, but to me, Sonys feel like some picture-taking appliance that can make great images, but I don't enjoy using them.

I decided on the X100S because I like it and it makes me want to use it. I decided that both cameras will produce quality images, so it came down to my enjoyment with the tool more than pixel peeping and looking at other people's shots. The best camera is the one that you will carry and use.

Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Fazal Majid
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?

I have both. The one I carry with me every day is the X100S:

• much better AF
  • nowhere near as much distortion
  • the viewfinder means you can stabilize the camera against your face
-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Leica M Typ 240 +20 more
friderici
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?

Dears

I did use the search option and I went though similar threads. However, I'm still not clear about all the pros/ cons and still can't make up my mind!

The question is: if the $$$ was not a problem, 35mm was the perfect one and you were able to sacrifice the viewfinder - which one would you pick - rx1 or x100s? And why?

Thank you for your help!

Don Mario

x100s:
optical & electronic viewfinder
relatively small (I. e. jacket-pocketable)
cheaper
very nice image quality

rx-1:
excellent iq
full frame sensor
not pocketable
no viewfinder
more expensive

personally I prefer the 100s. and based on the current prices I'd rather buy an a7 than an rx-1 if I had to have a full frame camera.

djanrd
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?

I have both.  I use the RX1 when IQ is critical at F 2.0 and the X100s when I want to take general snapshots.

djanrd's gear list:djanrd's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S +6 more
Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 685Gear list
Like?

Don Mario wrote:

Dears

Thank you for your help!

Don Mario

Both are very good cameras. Each one of them has its own strength. IMHO they are both a little slow focusing and not really usable for action shots (for most users), but I know there are some users who can do wonders with any of these 2 cameras.

In your case I would prefer RX1, because as I understand if money is no issue, and viewfinder is not a must have - then RX1 would give you better IQ, wider DR, more control of DOF, and that Zeiss 35mm f2 lens is a top notch lens matched to that specific FF sensor by nanometers. It's amazing, but ISO8000 are so clean and usable that its just jaw dropping. Slooooow AF - that kills that camera and don't expect Sony to release any FW updates like Fuji does. So depending on your needs and what you shoot - RX1 may be a good option or a sloooow disappointment.

Donny out of Element here
Contributing MemberPosts: 685Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fazal Majid, 7 months ago

Fazal Majid wrote:

I have both. The one I carry with me every day is the X100S:

• much better AF
  • nowhere near as much distortion
  • the viewfinder means you can stabilize the camera against your face
-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal can you please comment on distortion? A lens distortion? RX1 lens is one of the highest rated lenses in DXOMark top list. It is better than some famous L Canon lenses. I haven't checked the list recently, but I wouldn't be far off to say that it's probably the best 35mm f2 lens so far. Of course it's a fixed lens, but still.

Don Mario
Like?
In reply to Donny out of Element here, 7 months ago

Thanks. Is the RX1 AF much slower comparing to x100s?

nick101
Contributing MemberPosts: 618Gear list
Like?

Don Mario wrote:

thanks nick! yes, you're right - actually in a way this was my question.

in other words - are price and viewfinder the only advantages of x100s over rx1?

In my opinion, yes. There's no doubt of the quality of the RX1

nick101's gear list:nick101's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
Zaax
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?
The X100S has a wide angle option - WCL-X100

One of the cool things about the X100 and the S version too is that you can get a well corrected wide angle adaptor from Fuji that makes it a 27mm F/2.0 lens for just over $300.
So for around $1600 you can have real nice 2 focal length system for less than the cost of an RX1 used. The adapter is all metal and very well made. Actually I like what it does to the balance of the X100.

I have an X100 and the adapter and love both.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/lens/conversionlens/x100wideconversionlens/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/fujifilm/Ntt/WCL-X100/N/0

Comparison shots with and without that adapter; http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/07/04/the-fuji-x100-and-the-fuji-wcl-x100-wide-angle-converter-lens-the-x100-can-now-sport-a-28mm-f2/

Zack S
Shoshin ni modoru - go back and remember the feeling of being a beginner
Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/10025089@N05

Zaax's gear list:Zaax's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +13 more
1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?
Re: The X100S has a wide angle option - WCL-X100
In reply to Zaax, 7 months ago

Zaax wrote:

One of the cool things about the X100 and the S version too is that you can get a well corrected wide angle adaptor from Fuji that makes it a 27mm F/2.0 lens for just over $300.
So for around $1600 you can have real nice 2 focal length system for less than the cost of an RX1 used. The adapter is all metal and very well made. Actually I like what it does to the balance of the X100.

I have an X100 and the adapter and love both.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/lens/conversionlens/x100wideconversionlens/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/fujifilm/Ntt/WCL-X100/N/0

Comparison shots with and without that adapter; http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/07/04/the-fuji-x100-and-the-fuji-wcl-x100-wide-angle-converter-lens-the-x100-can-now-sport-a-28mm-f2/

Zack S
Shoshin ni modoru - go back and remember the feeling of being a beginner
Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/10025089@N05

Bought recently used  (X100s + converter) for $1100 - exactly the same reasoning

Seems that this combo at 28mm and f2 is noticeably less sharp, but it is not a deal breaker for me.

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads