RX1 or x100s

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Don Mario
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
RX1 or x100s
11 months ago

Dears

I did use the search option and I went though similar threads. However, I'm still not clear about all the pros/ cons and still can't make up my mind!

The question is: if the $$$ was not a problem, 35mm was the perfect one and you were able to sacrifice the viewfinder - which one would you pick - rx1 or x100s? And why?

Thank you for your help!

Don Mario

Fujifilm X100S Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PenPix
Senior MemberPosts: 1,059
Like?
Re: RX1 or x100s
In reply to Don Mario, 11 months ago

RX1: Amazing quality.

X100s: Cool look

Substance over style.  Your choice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skrause
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
In reply to PenPix, 11 months ago

Yes, but RX1 is also more than twice as expensive. Something to keep in mind unless you have some leftover money.

skrause's gear list:skrause's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +27 more
hexxthalion
Contributing MemberPosts: 536Gear list
Like?
In reply to PenPix, 11 months ago

PenPix wrote:

RX1: Amazing quality.

X100s: Cool look

Substance over style. Your choice.

oh yeah, that substance... oh, where's that viewfinder?

hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +11 more
pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 719
Like?

You can't pick the best camera for yourself by reading things on the internet. You need to try both to see which best fits your needs, and which works better in your hands. And without telling us your needs, subject matter, etc, it's hard for us to make any recommendations. Which is best depends on what you shoot and how you want to use the camera.

That said, if $$ and EVF don't matter, Sony wins IQ, including lowlight/high-ISO IQ.

I haven't played much with the RX1, but IIRC the focusing was noticeably slower than my X100S.

Basic control layout is similar, but X100S has more dedicated/labeled buttons, so likely less menu-diving in the long run.

Other than that, "it depends."

Don Mario wrote:

I did use the search option and I went though similar threads. However, I'm still not clear about all the pros/ cons and still can't make up my mind!

The question is: if the $$$ was not a problem, 35mm was the perfect one and you were able to sacrifice the viewfinder - which one would you pick - rx1 or x100s? And why?

D Mac
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?

Don Mario wrote:

Dears

Thank you for your help!

Don Mario

If money isn't a problem then I would suggest the A7R, full frame and has a viewfinder. But again, you could get 2 x100s for that.

D Mac's gear list:D Mac's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nik Silver Efex Pro Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,930Gear list
Like?

RX1 is exception. Have had it for a year now, and have enjoyed it as a family and travel camera.

I did try the X100, but returned it twice before that.

miro3's gear list:miro3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,335Gear list
Like?

Don Mario wrote:

Dears

Thank you for your help!

Don Mario

Can't believe people are seriously comparing these two cameras.

If it is about image quality, the answer is a no brainer. The X100s is so much better than its competition its just not funny ....

Only the X-100s has the X-Trans sensor. But you don't need to know the specs, the quality difference is immediately evident in the images.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7000 Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Don Mario
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?

Thanks all for the replies so far!

Answering one of the questions "what's your subject matter etc." - I do a little bit of everything really - street, portrait (35mm version), travel, occasional printing. And I want 1 camera with 1 lens.

Video is nice to have although I don't need a super fast AF here or/ and tons of controls (I believe fuji is treating video in a slightly nonchalant manner).

So back to my question to you: which one would you pick assuming the price does not matter?

abracadabenhotmailfr
Contributing MemberPosts: 637
Like?

Honestly, Id consider X100s or Sony A7. I don't think RX1 would be in the picture due to its high cost.

Id rather go X100s+A7 for just a little more or A7+lenses

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

I love the user experience of the X100S more than that of any other camera, and I have more than a few

It's a very pure and zen-like experience - just me and my eye, the light, the viewfinder, and some simple physical and tactile controls.

Free as a bird

Take the viewfinder away, and you lose that intimacy with the subject, IMO.

flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,089Gear list
Like?
X-E2 with 23mm f1.4....
In reply to Cailean Gallimore, 11 months ago

And you will have a great body to bolt other primes onto.

IMHO, the game has changed with the great primes released by Fujifilm.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D5200 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 3,5/18 +21 more
MrGubrz
Contributing MemberPosts: 760Gear list
Like?

well ive got an x100(no S) and an rx1(with vf)

hmm...

i love the x100 body so much more. it feels better in the hand, and i can carry it in a cargo pocket easier since its lens is so much flatter

it focusses faster

has a built in nd filter

has a smart built in flash for fill flash

the rx1 has +/-3 exp comp dial

a crispy/cream lens attached to it... super crisp on the in focus area, and super creamy in the out of focus....

has a better rear screen and evf

ok this is how i answer...

do you travel specific to do photography? or do you travel and want to do photography while there as well as really experiencing the trip? if its all about the photography, id go rx1, just because the files are so rich... if you want a great camera to take along with you wherever you go and be a bit less "hold on, im doing photography!" then id go x100(s)

when im just out n about and enjoying life, i always have my x100 with me, since the flatness suits carrying it around in pockets easier. the rx1 i generally take when "hmm.. i think ill go on a photo walk somewhere!"

so yeah

x100 - enjoying yer life and adding photography to it

rx1 - photography is yer life

thats my feelings!

oh, i dont know if ive ever done video on my x100... i think i did a quickie clip on my rx1 being silly with my nieces.. so i cant personally comment there

tho i always read the fujis are just not very competive with video, and the sony cams generally are pretty decent, minus the nex7 over heating, and the lack of fancy video stuff found on gh3, etc

if video was a biggish deal, another vote for the rx1 id think

MrGubrz's gear list:MrGubrz's gear list
Sony RX1 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +9 more
Group4
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?
In reply to Cailean Gallimore, 11 months ago

Cailean Gallimore wrote:

I love the user experience of the X100S more than that of any other camera, and I have more than a few

It's a very pure and zen-like experience - just me and my eye, the light, the viewfinder, and some simple physical and tactile controls.

Free as a bird

Take the viewfinder away, and you lose that intimacy with the subject, IMO.

I agree with Callean here. For me (and I know many others) an optical viewfinder is a must having used M cameras (and other rangefinders like the Konica S3 or the Hexar) for many decades. The Sony is in my opnion lacking in a couple of key attributes. One is the finder or lack of OVF and the other is balance between lens and body.

I have seen and appreciate several images people have made with that superb glass/sensor combo but I would not compare the two because the experience I have with an X100 or X100S is considerably more immediate. Immediate to the subject in that it is not converted to an electronic image and in terms of capture. For my money, the camera focuses plenty fast if I am on my game and looking ahead at the field in front of me. The optical finder allows me to see outside the frame which makes the experience an animate one. It isn't an M2 but it will certainly do.

We all have different strengths and weaknesses in terms of our shooting and processing technique. For me, the experience and immediacy of seeing with a camera and making pictures is almost more important than the end product. That is also why I like a fixed lens camera with the 35mm field of view. And there are better photographers than I who sing the praises of the Fuji's image quality.

When you pay dearly for a camera, whether a Leica or he RX1, maybe it becomes important to rationalize that by inflating the importance of say micro contrast! For sure there are some who read this post who do not need to find rationale for their purchase because their images speak for themselves, or they simply can afford the camera and appreciate what it does.

Fuji designed a camera that balances lens and body, and have at the very least made great use of the APS Sensor in delivering excellent low light capability.

David

JYPfoto
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?

Depends if you're buying new or used.  For new, the price difference is very substantial.  $1,300 vs $2,800.  You could literally buy a x100s and a XE-2 kit and have $100 left over.  But used, the x100s is going for around $1,000-1,100 whereas you're finding RX1's now for around $1,800.  Still a difference, but not night and day.

JYPfoto's gear list:JYPfoto's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,740
Like?

Don Mario wrote:

Dears

Thank you for your help!

Don Mario

If the money is not an issue. Why not buy both? LOL

I do not think the RX1 images are twice as good, or far better than the X100s. All I can say is the RX1 got exceptional build quality and the lens is very attractive. If you think the Leica X2 or X vario are "reasonably priced", then the Rx1 should not be hard to swallow for you.

Is size and weight a big factor? If yes, the answer is already here for you.

I personally picked neither. I bought the Xe-1, use leica lenses on it. And then I bought the A7R, and use the same lenses on it. No being able to use the lens for more than a decade doesn't sit well with me. The technology makes the body replaceable in a few years. I used to shoot with the S5pro, and the X trans bodies now are just so much better. But lens quality progress at a slower pace. Buying fixed lens cameras means I have to replace the whole thing. The cost would add up if I do that every 2-3 yrs.

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195
Like?

Dears

Thank you for your help!

Don Mario

Since money, EVF, interchangeable lens are not a problem, the obvious choice is RX1.

Jan Safranek
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?

Don Mario wrote:

Dears

Thank you for your help!

Don Mario

If money are not a problem, I would recommend the X-E2 + 23mm f/1.4 + 35mm f/1.4 + 14mm f/2.8. You can even add the 18-55mm zoom for these lazy days when you don't want to shoot the primes.

I owned RX1 for about two months. I sold it because despite all my hopes, I was badly missing all the other focal lengths.

Jan Safranek's gear list:Jan Safranek's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,273Gear list
Like?

Don Mario wrote:

Dears

Thank you for your help!

Don Mario

$$$ and viewfinder doesn't matter for you, fine. But what are your priorities? What do you expect from the camera? Until you provide some positive limitations it will be impossible get into your boots and advice something sensible.

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +2 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, 11 months ago

BillyInya wrote:

Don Mario wrote:

Dears

Thank you for your help!

Don Mario

Can't believe people are seriously comparing these two cameras.

If it is about image quality, the answer is a no brainer. The X100s is so much better than its competition its just not funny ....

Only the X-100s has the X-Trans sensor. But you don't need to know the specs, the quality difference is immediately evident in the images.

Will people ever learn there is more to image quality than a highly compressed JPEG screenshot of a photo of a photo...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6pid35QyH1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads