President Barack Obama shakes Raul Castro's hand at Mandela memorial service...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
rb59020
Contributing MemberPosts: 668Gear list
Like?
President Barack Obama shakes Raul Castro's hand at Mandela memorial service...
8 months ago

The Telegraph

"The handshake between the two historic enemies came as they attended a ceremony in Johannesburg to celebrate the late South African leader's ability to foster reconciliation."

"The gesture - which comes despite half a century of hostilities - came as Mr Obama made his way to a podium to deliver a speech. It is only the second time ever that a US president has shaken the hands of a Cuban Communist leader. President Bill Clinton was the first to do so in 2000 after a lunch during a United Nations summit in New York, when he shook hands with Mr Castro's brother, Fidel."

Ain't that sweet? Two commies shaking hands at the funeral of another commie.

rb59020's gear list:rb59020's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Pentax K-30 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
Mentor_1
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,773Gear list
Like?
Re: President Barack Obama shakes Raul Castro's hand at Mandela memorial service...
In reply to rb59020, 8 months ago

Perhaps he will soon apologize for what the US and their puppet Batista did to the Cuban people and then drop the embargoes and begin to make reparations for all the harm done to the Cuban people over the last 50 years.

-- hide signature --

May the light be with you
Stupid should hurt
Stop global whining
Keep your business in town to keep your town in business

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Don_D
Forum ProPosts: 12,216Gear list
Like?
Re: President Barack Obama shakes Raul Castro's hand at Mandela memorial service...

rb59020 wrote:

The Telegraph

"The handshake between the two historic enemies came as they attended a ceremony in Johannesburg to celebrate the late South African leader's ability to foster reconciliation."

"The gesture - which comes despite half a century of hostilities - came as Mr Obama made his way to a podium to deliver a speech. It is only the second time ever that a US president has shaken the hands of a Cuban Communist leader. President Bill Clinton was the first to do so in 2000 after a lunch during a United Nations summit in New York, when he shook hands with Mr Castro's brother, Fidel."

I like the fact that despite their differences, the two can be polite and civil to one another.

I can recall Tip O'Neil and Ronald Reagan doing the same thing.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/dond
Don

Don_D's gear list:Don_D's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +3 more
Marcamera
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,591
Like?

rb59020 wrote:

You're really lucky that stupid does not hurt, regardless of its advanced stage.

Rgds

lol101
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,061Gear list
Like?

rb59020 wrote:

Maybe you and a few others here could start a private club called: "Help me I'm stuck in the 50's!!"... ?

lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 1000D Samsung NX1000 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +10 more
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,743
Like?

Well done Obama. once again he proves he is a good president. The RWers on this thread will of course bleat about it and find excuses why it isn't time to patch up relations with Cuba. But they'd bleat if the taxman sent them $1M

rb59020 wrote:

The Telegraph

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,743
Like?
In reply to lol101, 8 months ago

lol101 wrote:

rb59020 wrote:

Maybe you and a few others here could start a private club called: "Help me I'm stuck in the 50's!!"... ?

Or perhaps they could call it My Heads Stuck up My ,,,,,,

They are so pathetic it's sad. I have been to Cuba, great people, great place. They need tourism and we are still, as you say, stuck in the fifties. If America  the RWs could just be friends with a  few more countries the world would be a safer place.

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,662
Like?

Like Obama had any idea who that was. He probably thought he was at a campaign rally and that guy was in his Hispanic voting block.

Shaun_Nyc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,264Gear list
Like?

awwww

Shaun_Nyc's gear list:Shaun_Nyc's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +10 more
RobertSigmund
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,920Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mentor_1, 8 months ago

Mentor_1 wrote:

Perhaps he will soon apologize for what the US and their puppet Batista did to the Cuban people and then drop the embargoes and begin to make reparations for all the harm done to the Cuban people over the last 50 years.

-- hide signature --

May the light be with you
Stupid should hurt
Stop global whining
Keep your business in town to keep your town in business

My heart is with the Cuban people which has been suffering under the cruel embargo for more than five decades now and nevertheless managed to have better health care than the USA!

RobertSigmund's gear list:RobertSigmund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37
Brian D. Schneider
Forum ProPosts: 15,790
Like?
Isn't that sweet..

rb59020 wrote:

The Telegraph

One idiot commenting on things he knows nothing about.

mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 31,271Gear list
Like?
America needs to wake up from the Cold War

The policies of JFK are no longer needed. The "Bay of Pigs" was a long time ago. Time to forgive.

snow4ever
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,790
Like?

I lean slightly conservative, But I really think we need to get over this. The Cuban Embargo ranks as one of the most failed policies of all time. Without it, Cuba would have thrown out the Castro bros. long ago.

And its no myth, Cuban cigars are awesome. Why must we be deprived?

Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,846Gear list
Like?
Re: America needs to wake up from the Cold War
In reply to mamallama, 8 months ago

mamallama wrote:

The policies of JFK are no longer needed. The "Bay of Pigs" was a long time ago. Time to forgive.

I agree that the embargo has to end, but I don't understand what the Cubans did that needs to be forgiven.

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Look it up. It's science." Skinny Pete

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
wouldnt it be nice?

wouldn't it be nice if we could all shake hands with and be nice with those we disagree with?

none of us here actually even know each other, yet we have become so divided that even here hate seems to be the common denominator.

I commend Mr. Obama for being civil and polite - - I think it is something we all should strive to emulate

love is always the better choice

JMO

as a side note I think it is about time we dump this silly embargo and try to be friends. I see nothing productive in it for either side

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,086Gear list
Like?
Re: wouldnt it be nice?
In reply to edwardaneal, 8 months ago

edwardaneal wrote:

wouldn't it be nice if we could all shake hands with and be nice with those we disagree with?

none of us here actually even know each other, yet we have become so divided that even here hate seems to be the common denominator.

I commend Mr. Obama for being civil and polite - - I think it is something we all should strive to emulate

love is always the better choice

JMO

as a side note I think it is about time we dump this silly embargo and try to be friends. I see nothing productive in it for either side

AMEN!!!

It's like those complaining about the U.S. trying to patch things up with Iran or Syria.  The easiest way to eliminate an enemy is to make him your friend.   But it seems like some would rather continue fighting indefinitely.

mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 31,271Gear list
Like?
Re: America needs to wake up from the Cold War
In reply to Jeff Charles, 8 months ago

Jeff Charles wrote:

mamallama wrote:

I agree that the embargo has to end, but I don't understand what the Cubans did that needs to be forgiven.

OK. Change that. Time to forget.

edwardaneal
Like?
an "LW" thing that needs to end
In reply to mamallama, 8 months ago

mamallama wrote:

its not just JFK - the embargo was actually codified into law under Clinton in 1993 and then extended even further by the helms-burton act in 1996 and then Clinton expanded it even further in 1999 by also disallowing foreign subsidiaries of U.S. companies to trade with Cuba.

Jules seems to think this is some strange "RW" thing, but the fact is it has been democrat presidents who started it and who have increased it

It is a "LW" thing from beginning to end

I would bet most republicans would love being allowed to actually do business and have trade with Cuba - it goes against their nature to lock down an entire country so that they can not do business and make money

edwardaneal
Like?
this Jeff
In reply to Jeff Charles, 8 months ago

Jeff Charles wrote:

mamallama wrote:

many people are still very upset that after the revolution the Cuban government took away most of the privately held land and assets of both the Cuban citizens and non citizens and nationalized them. I am sure if it had been your family who had their land seized you might want an apology as well

just a thought

-- hide signature --

Jeff
"Look it up. It's science." Skinny Pete

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,662
Like?
Re: an "LW" thing that needs to end
In reply to edwardaneal, 8 months ago

edwardaneal wrote:

mamallama wrote:

its not just JFK - the embargo was actually codified into law under Clinton in 1993 and then extended even further by the helms-burton act in 1996 and then Clinton expanded it even further in 1999 by also disallowing foreign subsidiaries of U.S. companies to trade with Cuba.

Jules seems to think this is some strange "RW" thing, but the fact is it has been democrat presidents who started it and who have increased it

It is a "LW" thing from beginning to end

I would bet most republicans would love being allowed to actually do business and have trade with Cuba - it goes against their nature to lock down an entire country so that they can not do business and make money

Jules is too stupid to know any better. He just assumes everything is the Republicans fault.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads