Billingham Hadley small or Pro for m43 system

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,531Gear list
Like?
Billingham Hadley small or Pro for m43 system
Dec 10, 2013

I have 2 smallish  Domke bags, and an Acam 7100 that I use now that will hold my GX7 with 20 mm my sigma 60&30mm and my Ricoh GR.  I am going to buy some older MIJ oly glass from my cousin who is working mostly with Fuji's right one.  if I bought a Billingham it would be for when I am in the car or for travel when I want more than 2 or 3 lenses with me.  The GR will remain as my 38mm that I would be carry as well.  I can see packing the Domke, or Acam to use when going out for a day.  I am curios if those of you with experience with Billingham could help with your thoughts.

thanks

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,637Gear list
Like?
Re: Billingham Hadley small or Pro for m43 system
In reply to Joel Stern, Dec 10, 2013

Joel Stern wrote:

I have 2 smallish Domke bags, and an Acam 7100 that I use now that will hold my GX7 with 20 mm my sigma 60&30mm and my Ricoh GR. I am going to buy some older MIJ oly glass from my cousin who is working mostly with Fuji's right one. if I bought a Billingham it would be for when I am in the car or for travel when I want more than 2 or 3 lenses with me. The GR will remain as my 38mm that I would be carry as well. I can see packing the Domke, or Acam to use when going out for a day. I am curios if those of you with experience with Billingham could help with your thoughts.

thanks

-- hide signature --

I haven't had experience wih both bags but just as an indication this is roughly what I can carry in my pro: GH3 with 12-35mm attached, 35-100mm laying under that, fisheye and 25mm stacked next to them (could fit a third small lens in here), 2 largish flashguns at the end, gorillapod in a front pocket, filters, triggers and such like in the other pocket and my 13" laptop slid down the back. Basically this bag can swallow a lot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,565Gear list
Like?

Joel Stern wrote:

I have 2 smallish Domke bags, and an Acam 7100 that I use now that will hold my GX7 with 20 mm my sigma 60&30mm and my Ricoh GR. I am going to buy some older MIJ oly glass from my cousin who is working mostly with Fuji's right one. if I bought a Billingham it would be for when I am in the car or for travel when I want more than 2 or 3 lenses with me. The GR will remain as my 38mm that I would be carry as well. I can see packing the Domke, or Acam to use when going out for a day. I am curios if those of you with experience with Billingham could help with your thoughts.

thanks

From my perspective, the Hadley pro is perfect for a minimal OR loaded single body venture.  Not too big to take a body w/lens mounted and 1-3 additional lenses, but has the potential to let me pack 6 additional lenses.   Or with less lenses pack a mini tripod, pano accessories, a 2nd body w/o lens mounted, and/or snacks.   But I was used to carrying a larger Billingham with 2 cameras and extra lenses at the ready, so the Hadley Pro would naturally appear to be a small bag to me.  Size can be relative in that regard.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
VinceC
Contributing MemberPosts: 890Gear list
Like?
Not too sure............

I have an OM-D E-M1, 12-40 and Pana 45-150 in a Hadley Digital bag.  I can also squeeze the Oly FL300 flash in the front pocket.  It is a very small and neat bag and the camera kit is not squashed.

I also have an E-M5 and several lenses which live in a Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney bag - again very neat (cheaper than Billingham and very light).

I have a Hadley Pro left over from a DSLR outfit, but haven't considered using it for my combined M4/3 kit as I consider it too narrow and deep.

A further possibility is the Billingham L2 - which I used to squeeze a lot of DSLR kit in - my son has it now and I know I will NEVER get it back!

I am an expert at buying bags and then finding my kit doesn't fit, the bag is too uncomfortable etc, etc.  Given my expertise at getting it wrong you can either:

*  Ignore me completely!

*  Find a way to try your kit in the bag you are thinking of before buying it.

Note that the Billingham bags need the purchase of an extra shoulder pad for the strap to make them comfortable (the original pads are best).

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Best regards
Vince C

VinceC's gear list:VinceC's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Joel Stern
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, Dec 10, 2013

Dheorl wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

thanks

-- hide signature --

I haven't had experience wih both bags but just as an indication this is roughly what I can carry in my pro: GH3 with 12-35mm attached, 35-100mm laying under that, fisheye and 25mm stacked next to them (could fit a third small lens in here), 2 largish flashguns at the end, gorillapod in a front pocket, filters, triggers and such like in the other pocket and my 13" laptop slid down the back. Basically this bag can swallow a lot.

Thanks Dheorl, the pocket for my iPad is going to be important, thanks

-- hide signature --

Joel Stern
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Dec 10, 2013

Bob Tullis wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

thanks

From my perspective, the Hadley pro is perfect for a minimal OR loaded single body venture. Not too big to take a body w/lens mounted and 1-3 additional lenses, but has the potential to let me pack 6 additional lenses. Or with less lenses pack a mini tripod, pano accessories, a 2nd body w/o lens mounted, and/or snacks. But I was used to carrying a larger Billingham with 2 cameras and extra lenses at the ready, so the Hadley Pro would naturally appear to be a small bag to me. Size can be relative in that regard.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Thanks Bob, size is indeed relative, I will try to go to BH when in NYC this weekend and have a look. No need to bring my cameras as they have it all.... I will travel light with just one lens.

-- hide signature --

Joel Stern
Like?
Re: Not too sure............
In reply to VinceC, Dec 10, 2013

VinceC wrote:

I have an OM-D E-M1, 12-40 and Pana 45-150 in a Hadley Digital bag. I can also squeeze the Oly FL300 flash in the front pocket. It is a very small and neat bag and the camera kit is not squashed.

I also have an E-M5 and several lenses which live in a Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney bag - again very neat (cheaper than Billingham and very light).

I have a Hadley Pro left over from a DSLR outfit, but haven't considered using it for my combined M4/3 kit as I consider it too narrow and deep.

A further possibility is the Billingham L2 - which I used to squeeze a lot of DSLR kit in - my son has it now and I know I will NEVER get it back!

I am an expert at buying bags and then finding my kit doesn't fit, the bag is too uncomfortable etc, etc. Given my expertise at getting it wrong you can either:

* Ignore me completely!

* Find a way to try your kit in the bag you are thinking of before buying it.

Note that the Billingham bags need the purchase of an extra shoulder pad for the strap to make them comfortable (the original pads are best).

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Best regards
Vince C

Thanks Vince, a too deep high bag is a part concern, that is why I will see these, and the L2 while I am at L2 and Digital bag. Thanks

-- hide signature --

janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 623Gear list
Like?

I ordered the Pro and it is going to arrive tomorrow.   I wanted the ipad slot and handle and I think that is the only bag that has both features yet remains relatively narrow.  I also wanted it to be big enough for my extras and I hope to not have to carry two things with me if I don't have pockets.

I worry the Pro will be too big for my needs but I hope when it is less full it might "drape" or conform to my body and feel smaller.  IF not, back to the drawing board!    I wish my local stores carried stock so I could see them in person.

FWIW, I think the add-on bags (Avea, Delta?) only fit certain models.  I don't know if you think you might need expansion or the convenience of another pocket.

What color/fabric did you decided upon?   After much deliberation about dirt (I use all my stuff and don't really baby it), I still elected to go with the original khaki.   I hope I don't regret that!

jan

Another bag I looked at was the Ona Brixton

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,444Gear list
Like?

Joel,

I had both for a while. The pro held more than I was willing to carry - I sold it because there are much cheaper and equally good bags for transporting my gear. For carrying, the Small will more than handle what you're talking about.

Here's a photo of the Small with a GX7 in the middle compartment (with a 12mm lens, so larger than with the 20mm) and lenses on either side. This shows the 7-14 and Oly 75 stacked on one side and the 35-100 on the other. With the kind of smaller lenses you're talking about, 5 or 6 should fit easily, although you'll obviously have to stack them. But that's kind of the deal with the Billingham bags, they're not very thick front to back but they're pretty deep, so stacking comes with the territory. You could easily stick another small lens under the GX7 as well, if you somehow couldn't fit them in the two sides. My Nikon A easily fits in one of the front pockets, as would your GR. Or if you're carrying fewer lenses, you could built a little slot on either end of the main compartment for it. It's not as well protected in the front pocket, but I've never had any problem with it up there - you can add a bit of padding to the front and bottom of the pocket if you're concerned and it'll still fit easily. The pockets are pretty large so leaving one free for batteries, lens pen, SD cards, whatever else, has always been more than adequate for me.

The Pro is a great bag, and if you anticipate really growing your system, you might go for it, but for what you're currently thinking about, you don't need anything that large... I frankly consider the Small too big for a GX7 and a three prime kit, which is one way I like to go out. I'd take a smaller Domke or something for that.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Dec 10, 2013

The iPad is an absolutely perfect fit in the Hadley Small

yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 3,334
Like?

I have the small. I was out last weekend with the EM5, Pana 7-14, Oly 75 and 17mm and I probably could have managed another small prime in the main body. Spare battery, cards, filters in one front pocket. Room also for my wallet, keys and assorted bits and pieces. You could slip an ipad into the gap between the main padded compartment and the fabric bag if you wanted to.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Joel Stern
Like?
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, Dec 10, 2013

janeenadamsmartin wrote:

I ordered the Pro and it is going to arrive tomorrow. I wanted the ipad slot and handle and I think that is the only bag that has both features yet remains relatively narrow. I also wanted it to be big enough for my extras and I hope to not have to carry two things with me if I don't have pockets.

I worry the Pro will be too big for my needs but I hope when it is less full it might "drape" or conform to my body and feel smaller. IF not, back to the drawing board! I wish my local stores carried stock so I could see them in person.

FWIW, I think the add-on bags (Avea, Delta?) only fit certain models. I don't know if you think you might need expansion or the convenience of another pocket.

What color/fabric did you decided upon? After much deliberation about dirt (I use all my stuff and don't really baby it), I still elected to go with the original khaki. I hope I don't regret that!

jan

Another bag I looked at was the Ona Brixton

Jan, since I have an international phone I called Billingham as I was confused by the fabric listings on BH and other sites. Seems the Sage is a bit different material (they really like this one). I will either get the sage or black with dark tan trim if I do get one.

-- hide signature --

Joel Stern
Like?

Ray Sachs wrote:

Joel,

I had both for a while. The pro held more than I was willing to carry - I sold it because there are much cheaper and equally good bags for transporting my gear. For carrying, the Small will more than handle what you're talking about.

Here's a photo of the Small with a GX7 in the middle compartment (with a 12mm lens, so larger than with the 20mm) and lenses on either side. This shows the 7-14 and Oly 75 stacked on one side and the 35-100 on the other. With the kind of smaller lenses you're talking about, 5 or 6 should fit easily, although you'll obviously have to stack them. But that's kind of the deal with the Billingham bags, they're not very thick front to back but they're pretty deep, so stacking comes with the territory. You could easily stick another small lens under the GX7 as well, if you somehow couldn't fit them in the two sides. My Nikon A easily fits in one of the front pockets, as would your GR. Or if you're carrying fewer lenses, you could built a little slot on either end of the main compartment for it. It's not as well protected in the front pocket, but I've never had any problem with it up there - you can add a bit of padding to the front and bottom of the pocket if you're concerned and it'll still fit easily. The pockets are pretty large so leaving one free for batteries, lens pen, SD cards, whatever else, has always been more than adequate for me.

The Pro is a great bag, and if you anticipate really growing your system, you might go for it, but for what you're currently thinking about, you don't need anything that large... I frankly consider the Small too big for a GX7 and a three prime kit, which is one way I like to go out. I'd take a smaller Domke or something for that.

-Ray

Thanks Ray, I do not want to go bigger than I need and stacking is a non issue, I am using the OptiTech USA lens pouches and these protect very well. The one thing that had me scared a bit about the pro was the size. I am supposed to be in NYC this weekend, if so I will go to BH and look at both and see what I think, there are others to consider as well like Think Tank but I think they may be overly deep. I man sure the BH people will have some thoughts, although I know the goal is to sell.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Joel Stern
Like?
In reply to Abrak, Dec 10, 2013

Abrak wrote:

The iPad is an absolutely perfect fit in the Hadley Small

Perfect, thanks

-- hide signature --

Joel Stern
Like?
In reply to yyr, Dec 10, 2013

yyr wrote:

I have the small. I was out last weekend with the EM5, Pana 7-14, Oly 75 and 17mm and I probably could have managed another small prime in the main body. Spare battery, cards, filters in one front pocket. Room also for my wallet, keys and assorted bits and pieces. You could slip an ipad into the gap between the main padded compartment and the fabric bag if you wanted to.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Thanks Yaelle

-- hide signature --

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,444Gear list
Like?

Joel Stern wrote:

I will go to BH and look at both and see what I think, there are others to consider as well like Think Tank but I think they may be overly deep. I man sure the BH people will have some thoughts, although I know the goal is to sell.

First off, I wouldn't worry about B&H giving you the hard sell - they sell so much stuff I think they've taken the attitude that developing loyal customers is far more important than making money on a given sale. I can't believe how well they've treated me over the years and never tried to sell me anything other than by being informative and answering questions.

Second, I've gone back and forth with bags. The Think Tanks offer incredible protection but I find them rather difficult in the field, in terms of getting gear in and out of them on the fly - seems the downside of all of that padding is really having to dig for gear. Domke is GREAT in the field but most of the models offer a good deal less protective padding. The Billingham stuff is pretty good in both respects but doesn't offer as much capacity for the size of the bag, at least as the Domke stuff.

Surprisingly, some of my favorite bags have turned out to be the very inexpensive Tamrac Rally series bags. They're well padded, easily configured, easy to get stuff in and out of on the fly, the straps are appropriately padded (more on the bigger models than the smaller ones), they conform to my body when I carry them, and they're made out of a synthetic fabric, that slides along my back and side without grabbing at shirts or jackets. They're so inexpensive and unassuming that they almost don't belong in this discussion, but they're so under-rated GOOD, at least in my opinion, that I'll toss it out there anyway. I doubt they'll give you the decades of use a Hadley or Domke might, but OTOH, how many of us really use the same bag that long anyway? I always try fancier bags but keep coming back to these lately. So if you're at B&H and checking stuff out, worth a look anyway.

-Ray

Joel Stern
Like?

Ray Sachs wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

I will go to BH and look at both and see what I think, there are others to consider as well like Think Tank but I think they may be overly deep. I man sure the BH people will have some thoughts, although I know the goal is to sell.

First off, I wouldn't worry about B&H giving you the hard sell - they sell so much stuff I think they've taken the attitude that developing loyal customers is far more important than making money on a given sale. I can't believe how well they've treated me over the years and never tried to sell me anything other than by being informative and answering questions.

Second, I've gone back and forth with bags. The Think Tanks offer incredible protection but I find them rather difficult in the field, in terms of getting gear in and out of them on the fly - seems the downside of all of that padding is really having to dig for gear. Domke is GREAT in the field but most of the models offer a good deal less protective padding. The Billingham stuff is pretty good in both respects but doesn't offer as much capacity for the size of the bag, at least as the Domke stuff.

Surprisingly, some of my favorite bags have turned out to be the very inexpensive Tamrac Rally series bags. They're well padded, easily configured, easy to get stuff in and out of on the fly, the straps are appropriately padded (more on the bigger models than the smaller ones), they conform to my body when I carry them, and they're made out of a synthetic fabric, that slides along my back and side without grabbing at shirts or jackets. They're so inexpensive and unassuming that they almost don't belong in this discussion, but they're so under-rated GOOD, at least in my opinion, that I'll toss it out there anyway. I doubt they'll give you the decades of use a Hadley or Domke might, but OTOH, how many of us really use the same bag that long anyway? I always try fancier bags but keep coming back to these lately. So if you're at B&H and checking stuff out, worth a look anyway.

-Ray

Ray, I do love BH, I bought all of my m43 stuff from them. Hard to believe I am keeping the system, I am very pleased for what I do with it.  I will look at the Tamrac when I am there as well. I have a few dollars in BH money coming to me and another gift I have so whatever bag I buy will cost me close to nothing. I had wondered what I would do with the 4% now I know.

Thanks again

-- hide signature --

MikeyLNG
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?

My thing with bags is I'd much rather have one that has some breathing room, than one which only fits my stuff perfectly. I hate to go anywhere without at least a small umbrella, and what if I don't feel like holding a bottle of water, especially when trying to handle a camera at the same time?

I'm wondering how a Hadley Pro would be if you put the insert from the Hadley Small in it. That way you'd have a nice little insert that would fit your camera gear snugly, but you'd also have space underneath to put miscellaneous items, and you don't have to deal with the overly deep spaces of the original Hadley Pro insert.

MikeyLNG's gear list:MikeyLNG's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,486Gear list
Like?

Have the Hadley Small. Fit two bodies with medium sized lenses attached in it, and there is room for a couple of more lenses. I could probably put the GM1 is a front pocket!

I put closeable mess bags in the front pockets that I can close up. I can also pull these bags out and see what is in them.

The Small is lighter than the pro. That is a plus for me.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Zenjitsuman
Regular MemberPosts: 442
Like?
Re: Not too sure............
In reply to VinceC, Dec 10, 2013

I have several of the Billingham bags, I think the Hadley full sized is best if you have a bunch of lenses plus flash.

I just picked up another Billingham bag the 207 which has the Press Top that holds the bag open using carbon fiber stays so you have access to all your gear.

We don't know yet if the bag will hold the following M4/3 14mm, 17mm, 25mm, 45mm, 60mm and EP5. Also, an Eos M with 22mm mounted and Nikon D7100 with Tokina 11-16mm UW zoom mounted.

Not all the lenses will be carried in the bag, but must fit inside for car transport. I use a photo vest

and a cross shoulder speed strap so I can decide what to fill my vest pockets with and leave the bag in the car trunk.

link to pictures of the 207

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/696132-REG/Billingham_506134_54_207_Camera_Bag_Khaki.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads