HarryPutnam
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?
Umbrella swivels, light stands known to work well with sony equipment
11 months ago

I have:

Camera: Sony A65 (SLT)

2 Flash units: Sony HVL-F58

I'm looking to acquire a couple of light stands, umbrella swivel adaptors and umbrella.  The trick is I need to have them as far before the 20th of this month as I can get and its already the 10th.

The light stands seem to be pretty universal far as working with other equipment but, I haven't bought that kind of stuff before and I notice while googling around, a fair bit of the swivel things say they do not work well with sony equipment.

My two external flashes (sony HVL-F58), so I need whatever it takes in the way of adaptors or what ever to be able to setup both flashes with umbrellas.

I know it's something of a lamer wanting someone else to do the leg work.  But I'm hoping someone here will just know off the top of there heads what to get and where.

Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,414Gear list
Like?
Re: Umbrella swivels, light stands known to work well with sony equipment
In reply to HarryPutnam, 11 months ago

You just need one of these for each stand. The connections don't matter that much it is just making the physical attachment.

http://www.amazon.com/Pixel-TF-323-Alpha-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00F0C1K8E/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1386692104&sr=8-6&keywords=sony+shoe+adapter

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lehill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,326Gear list
Like?

Hi Harry,

What I wound up doing for my swivel is just make sure it could be set up with a 1/4-20 threaded stud on top for the flash. Then I used the little stands that came with the flash (the stand has a threaded hole on the bottom) to mount the flash & stand on the swivel.

Swivels seem to be a generic item that come with several adapters for different circumstances.

Two things I learned:

1. I bought a ISO/iISO adapter with a PC sync connection (something like this ). Even though nothing was connected, my F42AM flash would not work in wireless mode. I'm guessing the flash was waiting for the PC sync to tell it to flash.
  2. The flash head is going to be waaaaayyyyy off the centerline of the umbrella. From what I've read this doesn't seem to be a problem but it just bugs me to no end. When I do this over again I'll find and buy some swivel that puts the flash head nearer the umbrella centerline.
-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II +23 more
Maxxuman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,499
Like?
In reply to lehill, 11 months ago

Most of the adapters available seem to stick up pretty high and have electronics that aren't needed when firing wireless. Something like this or this could be useful but I could only find them in UK stores.

-- hide signature --

Barry

cplunk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,268Gear list
Like?
In reply to Maxxuman, 11 months ago

Maxxuman wrote:

Most of the adapters available seem to stick up pretty high and have electronics that aren't needed when firing wireless. Something like this or this could be useful but I could only find them in UK stores.

-- hide signature --

Barry

That looks like the opposite of what he needs to mount a sony flash on a ISO shoe stand.

Same basic idea though, piece of plastic with no connectors on it, just need to physically hold the stand steady. often times the cold shoe can be removed from the stand's flash / umbrella mount exposing a 1/4 screw that the flash stand Sony ships can be attached.

duprey26
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?

Harry, this is what I have.  It adapts to all kinds of light stands, and has a 1/4-20 threaded adapter for the bottom of the stand that comes with the 58's.  I use this with the off-camera flashes in wireless mode.  You can either bounce with the umbrella, or shoot through if you have a translucent fabric umbrella.  Makes for a very transportable mini studio.  Hope this helps.

duprey26's gear list:duprey26's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +3 more
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,525
Like?
In reply to K E Hoffman, 11 months ago

Actually, I think you want this one to adapt the Sony/Minolta flash to a standard flash shoe, such as often included with swivel mounts:

http://www.amazon.com/Pixel-Converter-TF-324-Adapter-Minolta/dp/B003UREE7K/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2

Or something like this to fit a Sony flash to a 1/4x20 thread (the smaller standard thread for light stand adapters) (You may have gotten one similar with your flash.)

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Stand-F58AM-F56AM-F36AM/dp/B00AACBNZ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386703161&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+flash+stand

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads