Why not A58?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Ricky85
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Why not A58?
10 months ago

I've A65 waiting for the successor of A77. I'll may choose the newer version or buy A77, depending upon Sony's next step.

My future plan was to keep A77 (or newer) later and sell A65. But now I'm thinking to get A77 later and now a new A58.

I've searched a lot about 58 and the lust of its new jpeg sensor is killing my patience. I know its kind of a down-step for many of us here but for me its an upgraded sensor.

Should I:

1. get A58, sell my A65 and wait for next launch?
  2. get A58 & keep A65 (to barely use some missing features in A58) until next launch?
 Ricky85's gear list:Ricky85's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II
Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,273Gear list
Like?
Re: Why not A58?
In reply to Ricky85, 10 months ago

Ricky85 wrote:

I've A65 waiting for the successor of A77. I'll may choose the newer version or buy A77, depending upon Sony's next step.

My future plan was to keep A77 (or newer) later and sell A65. But now I'm thinking to get A77 later and now a new A58.

I've searched a lot about 58 and the lust of its new jpeg sensor is killing my patience. I know its kind of a down-step for many of us here but for me its an upgraded sensor.

Should I:

2. get A58 & keep A65 (to barely use some missing features in A58) until next launch?

This is just my opinion of course but there is no way I would sell the A65 and get an A58. Too much of a step down. I bought an A77 to go with my A65 and sold my A55 which was my second camera. Quite honestly I don't see any major improvement in the A58 IQ and you sure would be giving up a lot as the A65 is a fairly substantial upgrade. So my opinion. Keep the A65 and get an A77 because the price is steal right now. Any new camera really isn't going to be much better no matter what people think. It never is.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227Gear list
Like?
In reply to tbcass, 10 months ago

tbcass wrote:

new camera really isn't going to be much better no matter what people think. It never is.

yup. when talking ably the same generation of camera, it differences will be marginal at best. features are the differentiating factor.

Vikas Rana
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?

You didn't like your D7000, now you don't like A65 and I'm sure you are not going to like A77 at all. So why not you save your money and keep A65 or if you want you can trade it with my A58 anytime

Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Photostyle
Contributing MemberPosts: 536
Like?

Just like you I am waiting for something new from Sony, and it's a long wait again, I want to replace my A57, I wait for the new A mount mirrorless camera's, that's the only way to go if one want to shoot at low light high ISO, the SLT's are not good enough at that, I hope that it's not to long anymore to wait for new A mount camera's.

Tonkotsu Ramen
Like?
In reply to Photostyle, 10 months ago

Photostyle wrote:

Just like you I am waiting for something new from Sony, and it's a long wait again, I want to replace my A57, I wait for the new A mount mirrorless camera's, that's the only way to go if one want to shoot at low light high ISO, the SLT's are not good enough at that, I hope that it's not to long anymore to wait for new A mount camera's.

what's wrong with the A57?

jonzalez
Like?

I'm also waiting for the next Sony A-mount models hopefully to be released early next year.

But while waiting, there really is no reason to avoid the Sony SLT-A58. It's a fine camera and for the price it's really excellent. There are not perfect cameras and with every model you gain same features and loose some. I needed second body for my A-mount lenses and these web pages helped me to make up my mind with A58. I haven't regretted my purchase.

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.fi/2013/04/my-new-camera-is-pretty-damn-good-not.html

http://www.camerastuffreview.com/sony-camera-review/sony-a58-review

jonzalez's gear list:jonzalez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Sony SLT-A58 Sony a6000 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +4 more
Photostyle
Like?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 10 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Photostyle wrote:

there's nothing wrong with the A57, but just not good enough for low light high ISO picture's, my A580 which is broken was better in that , so SLT has that disadvantage and that's why Sony now is leaving that system and turn to mirrorless A mount in the future.

tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,625Gear list
Like?
In reply to jonzalez, 10 months ago

Its tough to beat the $550 A58 deal (with 55-200 and F20AM flash and $50 giftcard from B&H)

IMO though, since you have the A65, I would stick with that or move to the A77. Amazon warehouse deals has a great deal on an A77 with the 16-50mm.  Probably wont last too long though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005IHAIC0/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1386705332&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+a77&condition=used

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 NEX5R Sony 50mm F1.4 +11 more
Tonkotsu Ramen
Like?

Photostyle wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Photostyle wrote:

there's nothing wrong with the A57, but just not good enough for low light high ISO picture's, my A580 which is broken was better in that , so SLT has that disadvantage and that's why Sony now is leaving that system and turn to mirrorless A mount in the future.

where did Sony announce that?

nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,124Gear list
Like?

Photostyle wrote:

that's why Sony now is leaving that system and turn to mirrorless A mount in the future.

Hold the phone right there... I keep hearing this, can someone tell me how true this is.

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Greg Beetham
Senior MemberPosts: 1,030
Like?

Photostyle wrote:

Sony doesn’t have to invent mirrorless A-mount cameras to get mirrorless, a DSLR is/was already mirrorless, (at the time of exposure).

Greg

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 18,273Gear list
Like?

Photostyle wrote:

Sony now is leaving that system and turn to mirrorless A mount in the future.

Eventually all cameras will be mirrorless except for the very high end but until they figure out how to achieve SLT/DSLR focusing speed on mirrorless we won't be seeing that for a while yet. You apparently haven't figured out yet that AF speed is more important for many if not most users than that small 1/2 stop loss of light that affects only high iso.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Photostyle
Like?
In reply to nandbytes, 10 months ago

nandbytes wrote:

Photostyle wrote:

that's why Sony now is leaving that system and turn to mirrorless A mount in the future.

Hold the phone right there... I keep hearing this, can someone tell me how true this is.

Sony did say that they stop producing SLT models, so what do you think there will be coming with !! SAR announced this a time ago that the next A mount camera in early 2014 will be mirrorless , OK these are rumours, but if Sony say no more SLT systems, then they must come with something else, don't they.

Tonkotsu Ramen
Like?

Photostyle wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

Photostyle wrote:

Sony did say that they stop producing SLT models, so what do you think there will be coming with !! SAR announced this a time ago that the next A mount camera in early 2014 will be mirrorless , OK these are rumours, but if Sony say no more SLT systems, then they must come with something else, don't they.

Link to press release please.

Photostyle
Like?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 10 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Photostyle wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

Photostyle wrote:

Link to press release please.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-still-some-slt-camera-to-come-before-the-full-a-mount-mirrorless-transition/

Meantime: A new source told me that there will be an A-mount version of that camera in January. It will be named “A79″. This is a new source and I rank it SR3 only. But we chatted a lot lately and let’s hope he is right

The A79 specs he gave to me will be the same for the A7 (ILCE-7) and A79 (I have already posted these specs a month ago).

- 32mpix exmor hd chip (new generation)
- 4 gb buffer
- full mirrorless focus, 480 focus points
- evf 4mpix
- 8-14 fps/sec
- Magnesium body

(SR3) Three APS-C and two FF A-mount mirrorless cameras to come in 2014.

A source sent me the new Sony roadmap and it looks like five new A-mount cameras will hit the stores in 2014. I still don’t know yet if some of these cameras will be already announced this year (for preorders only). Anyway, according to my source there will be three APS-C A-mount cameras and two new FF A-mount cameras. The specs of the A79 can be read on yesterday’s post. The three APS-C cameras should be the A59, A69 and A79. I don’t know yet the names of the two new FF cameras.

I have been told all five cameras are a major leap forward in terms of tech advancements. Everything is hugely improved. let’s hope that what sounds good on paper is also good in reality

I am also working on the new NEX-FF and NEX-APS-C roadmap. NEX-5T will definitely come and so the DSLR shaped NEX. I am almost sure the NEX-FF will also arrive this year and maybe the NEX-7 successor too.

nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,124Gear list
Like?

Photostyle wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

Photostyle wrote:

did they? when? could you link to some reference please?

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Vikas Rana
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?

32mp is a disturbed objective c calculation, should be a 36mp, Other points are acceptable but I don't agree with those two without a solid proof

- 4 gb buffer

- full mirrorless focus, 480 focus points

NEX is dead i believe, I saw a video of a sony guy on youtube confirming the same. cannot find the link to show you...

Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Ricky85
Like?
In reply to tbcass, 10 months ago

tbcass wrote:

Ricky85 wrote:

Should I:

This is just my opinion of course but there is no way I would sell the A65 and get an A58. Too much of a step down. I bought an A77 to go with my A65 and sold my A55 which was my second camera. Quite honestly I don't see any major improvement in the A58 IQ and you sure would be giving up a lot as the A65 is a fairly substantial upgrade. So my opinion. Keep the A65 and get an A77 because the price is steal right now. Any new camera really isn't going to be much better no matter what people think. It never is.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

My dilemma was to get A77/A79 later and sell A65, Since A65 and A77 will create redundancy.. I'll sell my A65 for sure. A58 is a different flavor with some new technical toppings like lock-on AF, battery-backup, jpeg processing. May be A79 has all the features and I won't even need A58/A65 later on.

Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II
Ricky85
Like?
In reply to Vikas Rana, 10 months ago

Vikas Rana wrote:

32mp is a disturbed objective c calculation, should be a 36mp

Memory management is pretty easy and available in all the languages, 32mp or approx is fine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads