How does SL1/18-55 STM photos compare to 7D/17-55 photos??

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,435Gear list
Like?
How does SL1/18-55 STM photos compare to 7D/17-55 photos??
9 months ago

Adorama/ Canon has a heck of a deal on SL1/18-55 and Pixma Pro 100 printer and paper and SD card for $447 after rebates. I'm thinking about gett it for a carry arround and ditch my Pana FZ 150 for a camera to keep in the car and for a walk around. I have the 7D and also 6D but they can get heavy lugging around for the day. Any links or comparsions would be appreciated.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,747Gear list
Like?
Re: How does SL1/18-55 STM photos compare to 7D/17-55 photos??
In reply to KENTGA, 9 months ago

KENTGA wrote:

Adorama/ Canon has a heck of a deal on SL1/18-55 and Pixma Pro 100 printer and paper and SD card for $447 after rebates. I'm thinking about gett it for a carry arround and ditch my Pana FZ 150 for a camera to keep in the car and for a walk around. I have the 7D and also 6D but they can get heavy lugging around for the day. Any links or comparsions would be appreciated.

Kent

The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens has the best image quality of Canon lenses for APS-C cameras. The EF-S 18-55 IS STM has the second best image quality. The well regarded EF-S 15-85 IS comes in a close third.

Sensor wise the SL1 is very close to the 7D, though in my opinion the 7D is a hair better.

I also have a 7D and 6D and picked up an EOS M with the EF-M 22mm f/2 lens, for my compact lightweight camera. Most who have purchased the EOS M have been presently surprise with both its image quality and focus performance.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wm. L.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,145Gear list
Like?
In reply to KENTGA, 9 months ago

I think you have to go to the pixel peeping society for some of your answers.

As far as carry around, I would prefer a compact Panasonic travel zoom, my iPhone, or something waterproof like an Olympus TG-2 or Nikon AW1. Nikon AW1 might be the coolest thing or coolest glimpse of the future for carry around and travel.

Wm. L.'s gear list:Wm. L.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +5 more
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,715Gear list
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, 9 months ago

TTMartin wrote:

KENTGA wrote:

Kent

The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens has the best image quality of Canon lenses for APS-C cameras. The EF-S 18-55 IS STM has the second best image quality. The well regarded EF-S 15-85 IS comes in a close third.

Sensor wise the SL1 is very close to the 7D, though in my opinion the 7D is a hair better.

I also have a 7D and 6D and picked up an EOS M with the EF-M 22mm f/2 lens, for my compact lightweight camera. Most who have purchased the EOS M have been presently surprise with both its image quality and focus performance.

+1.  WRT image quality, I think it would be very hard to distinguish between the 3 lenses named above, shot on either the SL1 or the 7D.  The EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM is a good, sharp lens.  Spend more for the greater range of the 15-85, or the constant big f/2.8 aperture of the 17-55.  Or don't.

The major differences between the SL1 and the 7D are with respect to handling and features, not so much image quality.

IMHO, YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads