Nex6 Vs Nikon 1

Started 8 months ago | Questions
CarlAAsen
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Nex6 Vs Nikon 1
8 months ago

I´m currently using an APS-C system (Sony alpha 700). But i think its to heavy and now i´m going to buy a mirrorless camera to replace it. I like the responsivnes and the handling of the Nikon 1 system, but feel a little bit worried about the image quality. In the other hand the Nex6 seems pretty nice to, but here i feel worried about the autofocus speed, especially with moving objects.

Now i wonder if someone has experience of both the Nikon V1 and the Sony Nex6 and what you think about the differences? How about autofocus and handling? And how good is the optics?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Identity
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
Re: Nex6 Vs Nikon 1
In reply to CarlAAsen, 8 months ago

I have a Nikon V1 and an NEX-F3. I prefer the F3 in most situations, and the NEX-6 will be even better. The sensor is undeniably better. More resolution, dynamic range, color depth, and less noise. At ISO 800-3200, the F3 is much, much better. I find ISO 1600-3200 simply too noisy for my liking on the V1, especially in poor lighting. Skin tones come out very blotchy. ISO 3200 on the F3 is quite useable, especially with some mild noise reduction applied.

In terms of autofocus speed, the V1 is faster in good light. However, I don't find the F3 to be terribly slow, and the NEX-6 should be faster still. I get plenty of good photos of my young daughter who never stops moving for too long I'm also taking advantage of DMF or manual focus mode at times. With magnification and focus peaking, it's not nearly as difficult as I thought to manually focus, and sometimes the results are well worth it. Manual focusing on the Nikon 1 is basically an afterthought (no focus ring for example) and is unuseable for me.

The shutter lag of the F3 is very, very low, and this can be just as important as autofocus speed. I'll often pre-focus and wait for just the right moment, and the lag between pressing the shutter and getting the shot is essentially nil. The V1 is quick as well, but feels just slightly less responsive in this regard.

In low light, neither camera focuses quickly, but I've found the F3 hunts a bit less.

For continuous shooting and focus tracking (in good light only), the V1 wins hands down. It's as good as many high-end DSLRs. I simply don't need this capability very often.

I miss the excellent EVF on the V1, but you won't have that problem with the NEX-6.

The V1 is a bit smaller with lenses included, but is actually heavier. Neither fits in a pocket, but both are easy to carry around. The grip on the F3 is much more comfortable.

I also appreciate the extra DOF control with the APS-C sensor. You get almost no background blur with the V1 kit lens, while the Sony kit lens gives you at least some if you get close to your subjects. Add an F1.8 lens to the NEX, and you get DOF control that's just not possible with the Nikon 1.

In the end, though, it's all about image quality for me and I've been much happier with the photos out of my F3 than my V1. Note that I shoot RAW only. I would not be happy shooting JPEG with my F3. From what I've seen, auto white balance is pretty poor and I'm not generally a big fan of how JPEGs are processed in-camera.

I've essentially stopped using my V1 now that I have the F3, and am considering an NEX-6 or NEX-7 to gain an EVF. I can add one to the F3, but I'd rather put that money towards a better camera body with EVF built-in. Especially at current sale prices, I think the NEX-6 is well worth it, but there are some crazy deals on Nikon 1 cameras as well. Best of luck whichever you choose!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,322Gear list
Like?

As far handling goes, if you don't like the menu diving needed on NEX (mostly those w/o a function button) you're not going to be much happier with the Nikon 1 cams. That may not matter to you, but the UI/ergonomics of the Nikon 1 cameras (along with no AEB) removed them from consideration for me.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,734Gear list
Like?

I´m currently using an APS-C system (Sony alpha 700). But i think its to heavy and now i´m going to buy a mirrorless camera to replace it. I like the responsivnes and the handling of the Nikon 1 system, but feel a little bit worried about the image quality. In the other hand the Nex6 seems pretty nice to, but here i feel worried about the autofocus speed, especially with moving objects.

Now i wonder if someone has experience of both the Nikon V1 and the Sony Nex6 and what you think about the differences? How about autofocus and handling? And how good is the optics?

Thanks!

What are your priorities? I just moved from NEX-3 to NEX-6 and APSc is about as small as I am willing to go for an ILC. And it has to do with something more than getting better IQ and lower noise. Larger sensor will provide a nicer control over DOF.

N1 is supposed to have a faster AF at least in ggood light/larger apertures, but AF speed has been a non issue to me. I much rather prefer good AF with DOF control (I don't really care for AF speed when virtually everything appears to be in reasonable focus).

Ultimately it comes down to your own personal preferences. Going from A700, you are more likely to see NEX-6 as an improvement in IQ whereas N1 would get you a different experience (if you prefer long to wide, as in more zoom less value for wider angles, smaller sensors can do it better).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,734Gear list
Like?
In reply to areichow, 8 months ago

As far handling goes, if you don't like the menu diving needed on NEX (mostly those w/o a function button) you're not going to be much happier with the Nikon 1 cams. That may not matter to you, but the UI/ergonomics of the Nikon 1 cameras (along with no AEB) removed them from consideration for me.

Speaking of menu diving on NEX cameras, I knew NEX-6 was an improvement over NEX-3 (one of its very few weaknesses), I would say NEX-6 UI is pretty good. Practically no need to go into menu much especially with a bit of customization available to the soft key and esp with Fn button customization.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Identity
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 8 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Speaking of menu diving on NEX cameras, I knew NEX-6 was an improvement over NEX-3 (one of its very few weaknesses), I would say NEX-6 UI is pretty good. Practically no need to go into menu much especially with a bit of customization available to the soft key and esp with Fn button customization.

I have to agree here - just being able to customize a few buttons on the NEX makes a big difference. The Nikon 1 doesn't let you customize anything. Having to dive in to the menus to change ISO or focus area can be frustrating when you're trying to capture a quick shot.

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,707Gear list
Like?
In reply to Identity, 8 months ago

I have posted my response in the Nikon 1 forum.

Both great cameras, enjoy whatever you choose!

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,740
Like?

Take a look at this V1 review and also look at the V2 review, particularly the video of BIF (V2 vs FF & DX).

http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-1-v2#more-63777

The V1 IQ is not "as good" as my 5R with the 24mm Zeiss (but then again nothing is). They are great cameras with good lenses (IQ & build). A 1" sensor will not not have the S/N and dynamic range of an APS-C sensor. But I love the V1. Bought one for a planned Safari last year and sold it because we decided not to go to Africa. Last month bought another V1 ($370 + tax from Nikon USA) for my son.

Chances are he will never see it. The V1 with 10-30 & 30-110 is a great every day $ travel package.

-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3 & 5R + Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100

captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,408Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, 8 months ago

Sonyshine wrote:

I have posted my response in the Nikon 1 forum.

Both great cameras, enjoy whatever you choose!

Both great cameras, indeed! The Nikon 1 must be the world's  most under-rated camera system. New V3 model coming soon. The Aptina 1" sensor is quite different and offers capabilities none of the others do. Hybrid PDAF-CDAF is better implemented than on the NEX 5r/6, and faster. Nikon has put some kinds of unknown majiic into the processor design. I can just whip out my 1 J1 model and mash the shutter to grab shots with amazing clarity and color, like none other at times!

I walk about with the J1 and 30-110mm lens (88-300 equivalent) and it fits into the same small pouch as my NEX-5R with 16mm pancake. And oh, excellent quality construction with the N1.The  N1 is better than the older 12 mp m43 cameras for low light but of course won't come close to a NEX.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 721
Like?

CarlAAsen wrote:

Thanks!

if you are shooting kids in lower light the NEX (even the 5R i have) is nowhere near as fast AF wise as a DSLR .. if you are shooting sports etc i wouldnt even consider a NEX (not that you could get an E mount tele lens anyway) but for family shots of kids running around or playing sports the NEX is fine with even the std kit powerzoom (i have a 5R). where you run in to issues is with the lenses where some are slower to AF (eg the 50SEL)

whats more of an issue with the NEX is that unlike its competitors you cannot set a minimum shutter speed and this is compounded by the fact that the logic in the NEX goes down to 1/60 sec before ISO'ing up so indoors without flash you get a lot of motion blur shots.

For me its worse as I use a Nikon 105mmf2.5 manual lens (E-mount tele is non existant), so i need a minimum of around 1/200 sec to avoid blur (no OIS) and with no electronic interface between lens and camera its a real pig to ensure you have the shutter speed high enough without pushing the ISO up too far.

Personally if most of my shots were of kids moving around indoors/outdoors in anything other than bright light then i would look at the Oly PEN5 which has lightning fast AF, great lens choice and a great image stabilisation .. though its micro 4/3 sensor is not as big as the NEX's

if i had my time over again i would seriously look at the PEN5 with something like a 45mmf1.8 for shooting portraits outdoor family sports/indoor plays with a nice defocused background and something like a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens (you can swap around any brand of micro 4/3 lens) for shooting indoors, moving kid shots with a nice defocused background - Oly make great lenses and their QC is in a diff league to Sony which is god awful

Manju69
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?

Hi, i moved from mFT to nikon v1 and now have and love my NEX6.

The main loss for me was shallow depth of field. I really missed it on the V1, sure, you could get it close up but it was impossible to get the separation I wanted. This is due to the sensor size and physics. Also the V1 was quite noisy above 800 and had no customizable buttons, so using it was a faff at times. The NEX beats it on both of these issues. Even so, it took some great shots and the whole 3 lens kit I had was so small and light. If I had the resources to have two systems I might have kpet the 1 system. It has A lot of promises if they keep going with it.

Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 947Gear list
Like?

CarlAAsen wrote:

Thanks!

I briefly tried Nikon 1, while looking for a travel camera to supplement my (then) Canon DSLR. Now have a Nex 6.  (also tried D5300).

The only advantage of Nikon mirrorless was AF speed, which was very good. But the IQ was average, and the IQ in low light was miserable. Performance in low light was bad, period. To me it felt like a very nicely made, fast focusing P&S upgrade. TBH, my 7 year old Sony W5 P&S produced better photos (while it worked).

Nex experience was opposite. Very high IQ, directly comparable with Canon - i.e. Canon has it's own IQ advantages (mainly, beautiful colors, especially skin tones, straight out of camera, nice JPEGs) and Nex has it's own (wide DR, slightly better high ISO output when using RAW), but overall I didn't feel like I was giving up on anything. The AF speed depends on the lens used. In OK light every lens I own performs well. In poor / dim light, SEL50 is very slow focusing and hunts a lot, I wouldn't try to use it in dim light on moving objects. The kit lens and the two Sigma primes are OK and can keep up with things like karate competitions when people are moving but not running too fast. Again, this is in dim light.

I also bought a LA-EA2 adapter to use with my Sigma 12-24 in A-mount. This is basically the focusing unit from Sony A55, and provides A55 like focus speed and tracking ability. So with a reasonably fast A-mount lens and this adapter you will get the same focus speed as with A55. Since you already have A700 and some lenses, this seems like a no brainer.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
captura
Like?
In reply to hyenadog, 8 months ago

hyenadog wrote:

CarlAAsen wrote:

Thanks!

if you are shooting kids in lower light the NEX (even the 5R i have) is nowhere near as fast AF wise as a DSLR .. if you are shooting sports etc i wouldnt even consider a NEX (not that you could get an E mount tele lens anyway) but for family shots of kids running around or playing sports the NEX is fine with even the std kit powerzoom (i have a 5R). where you run in to issues is with the lenses where some are slower to AF (eg the 50SEL)

whats more of an issue with the NEX is that unlike its competitors you cannot set a minimum shutter speed and this is compounded by the fact that the logic in the NEX goes down to 1/60 sec before ISO'ing up so indoors without flash you get a lot of motion blur shots.

For me its worse as I use a Nikon 105mmf2.5 manual lens (E-mount tele is non existant), so i need a minimum of around 1/200 sec to avoid blur (no OIS) and with no electronic interface between lens and camera its a real pig to ensure you have the shutter speed high enough without pushing the ISO up too far.

Personally if most of my shots were of kids moving around indoors/outdoors in anything other than bright light then i would look at the Oly PEN5 which has lightning fast AF, great lens choice and a great image stabilisation .. though its micro 4/3 sensor is not as big as the NEX's

if i had my time over again i would seriously look at the PEN5 with something like a 45mmf1.8 for shooting portraits outdoor family sports/indoor plays with a nice defocused background and something like a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens (you can swap around any brand of micro 4/3 lens) for shooting indoors, moving kid shots with a nice defocused background - Oly make great lenses and their QC is in a diff league to Sony which is god awful

Try Sports Mode on your 5R. It is very fast!

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
captura
Like?
In reply to Manju69, 8 months ago

I have several different cameras Each has it's  strengths and weaknesses. So picking the right one for the job is half the fun. I'm still learning.

Amamba
Like?
In reply to captura, 8 months ago

captura wrote:

hyenadog wrote:

CarlAAsen wrote:

Thanks!

^^^ This. Coming from DSLR I used to diss the "idiot modes" but on Nex, they actually work fairly well, giving quick access to good initial setup plus maintaining Raw. As long as you have the right lenses.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
captura
Like?
In reply to Amamba, 8 months ago

Amamba wrote:

captura wrote:

hyenadog wrote:

CarlAAsen wrote:

Thanks!

^^^ This. Coming from DSLR I used to diss the "idiot modes" but on Nex, they actually work fairly well, giving quick access to good initial setup plus maintaining Raw. As long as you have the right lenses.

It's true. But then you need to know which one of the idiot modes to select to achieve the best results. Just one example...I hear everyone complaining about how slow the new NEX cameras are. But nobody except myself seems to have tried the "Sports Mode" which produces the best very fast results!

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,915Gear list
Like?
In reply to Identity, 8 months ago

Identity wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I have to agree here - just being able to customize a few buttons on the NEX makes a big difference. The Nikon 1 doesn't let you customize anything. Having to dive in to the menus to change ISO or focus area can be frustrating when you're trying to capture a quick shot.

By default on the Nex-6, you can change the ISO with one "button" click (on the back dial) to enter the ISO mode.  One press allows you to adjust EV.  In P mode, there's a dial that controls the shutter and aperture -- all of the basics, easily available.  There's even an AEL button.  And if you really don't feel like going into the normal Nex menus, there's an Fn shortcut menu that you can customize.  And there's always the "quick navi" mode.  And they've re-added a traditional mode selection knob on the top.

So, what menu diving do you have to do on the Nex-6 where the Nikon 1 has all sorts of buttons?

I'd like more customization choices even on the Nex-6, but it's already pretty good.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Amamba
Like?
In reply to captura, 8 months ago

captura wrote:

Amamba wrote:

captura wrote:

hyenadog wrote:

CarlAAsen wrote:

Thanks!

It's true. But then you need to know which one of the idiot modes to select to achieve the best results. Just one example...I hear everyone complaining about how slow the new NEX cameras are. But nobody except myself seems to have tried the "Sports Mode" which produces the best very fast results!

I use Sports every now and then. It works fine if you only have a couple people to track. However I am shooting kids' karate when there may be 5-6 sparring couples moving around and then the multifocus hurts more than it helps, you never know whom it would decide to latch on. Face tracking helps but in karate the face is often obstructed by the blocking hand or helmet.  I am getting the best result by using flexible spot and an external high speed sync flash. Even with a slow aperture kit lens I was able to get very decent freeze motion shots that way. And that dojo is pretty dark.

But when I am unprepared and need a quick shot of a running kid, Sports mode works great.

Amamba
Like?
In reply to GaryW, 8 months ago

GaryW wrote:

Identity wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

I have to agree here - just being able to customize a few buttons on the NEX makes a big difference. The Nikon 1 doesn't let you customize anything. Having to dive in to the menus to change ISO or focus area can be frustrating when you're trying to capture a quick shot.

By default on the Nex-6, you can change the ISO with one "button" click (on the back dial) to enter the ISO mode. One press allows you to adjust EV. In P mode, there's a dial that controls the shutter and aperture -- all of the basics, easily available. There's even an AEL button. And if you really don't feel like going into the normal Nex menus, there's an Fn shortcut menu that you can customize. And there's always the "quick navi" mode. And they've re-added a traditional mode selection knob on the top.

So, what menu diving do you have to do on the Nex-6 where the Nikon 1 has all sorts of buttons?

I'd like more customization choices even on the Nex-6, but it's already pretty good.

-- hide signature --

Gary W

Coming from a Rebel, I feel I didn't lose anything in terms of fast adjustment of most used functions. Especially since I customized some buttons. There's only two gripes. First, no auto ISO in M, you have to set ISO manually, and when switching back from M to A or S it doesn't switch back to Auto ISO. Second, no way to assign FEC to any buttons - interestingly, it could be done on F3, but not on Nex 6. So when using flash I have to be in QuickNav mode if I want to quickly adjust flash output. Not a biggie but something Sony could fix with a very simple firmware change. But overall, it's not bad at all, even coming from a DSLR.

captura
Like?
In reply to Amamba, 8 months ago

Thanks for that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads