Nikon 1 V1

Started 8 months ago | Questions
CarlAAsen
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Nikon 1 V1
8 months ago

I´m currently using an APS-C system (Sony alpha 700). But i think its to heavy and now i´m going to buy a mirrorless camera to replace it. I like the responsivnes and the handling of the Nikon 1 system, but feel a little bit worried about the image quality. Do you think i´m going to be disappointed from what i´m used to with the bigger senson in an old APS-C camera?

I´m well awered of what sensorsize means to the quallaty in general but i guess a lot of you have made the same change. What do you think?

Then i wonddering if someone has experience of both the Nikon V1 and the Sony Nex6 and what you think about the differences? How about autofocus and handling?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 264
Like?
Re: Nikon 1 V1
In reply to CarlAAsen, 8 months ago

Why don't you just look at sample images?  They're all over the net.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,706Gear list
Like?

I have a Nikon 1 and a Nex7.

I also owned the Sony Nexf3, A55 and A57 and before that various Canon DSLR's.

I thoroughly enjoy my Nikon V1 - no it can't capture the minute detail that the 24mp APSC sensor in the NEX7 can - but unless you are  pixel peeping you probably won't notice either.

Here is a wasp spider taken with my V1 and 10-30 lens:

Here is a similar spider taken with my NEX7:

Here is one taken with the 16mp NEXF3:

Here is an RAF Merlin shot with the V1 and 30-100 lens:

Here is the same aircraft shot with the NEX7 and 55-210 lens:

This is my Nikon V1 set on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekrankis/sets/72157635297569403/

Here is my NEXF3 set on Flickr ( similar sensor to the NEX6)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekrankis/sets/72157632477021771/

Draw your own conclusions but I enjoy both cameras. The NEX cameras have the edge on ultimate IQ. The V1 is faster focusing and is great fun to use with the FT1 adapter and a Nikon 70-300 lens

Either way you will not be disappointed.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Nung
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?

CarlAAsen wrote:

I´m currently using an APS-C system (Sony alpha 700). But i think its to heavy and now i´m going to buy a mirrorless camera to replace it. I like the responsivnes and the handling of the Nikon 1 system, but feel a little bit worried about the image quality. Do you think i´m going to be disappointed from what i´m used to with the bigger senson in an old APS-C camera?

I´m well awered of what sensorsize means to the quallaty in general but i guess a lot of you have made the same change. What do you think?

Then i wonddering if someone has experience of both the Nikon V1 and the Sony Nex6 and what you think about the differences? How about autofocus and handling?

Thanks!

Only you can answer that question. As long as you're not looking for butter smooth pictures, you're ok. N1 captures great detail but a bit grainy/noisy depends how you see it.

The IQ is nothing to brag about, but they are fairly good. And with a bit of pp, they can be really good.

Nung's gear list:Nung's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
One_Oldman_4U
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?

I have the V1 and it is the "most" fun camera I've used in a long time. As mentioned above, if you don't pixel peep, the IQ is fairly good.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52076826

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
-- RiK --
LX7, FZ200, Nikon 1 V1 with 10-100 non PD

One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 +1 more
aChanceEncounter
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?
In reply to One_Oldman_4U, 8 months ago

It is very easy to get wrapped up in pixels, ultimate IQ, etc and for some people that's needed.

When I am with family I find the V1 is great. When I am solo, shooting slower I use my Fuji XP kit. I don't use my D700 at all any more.

I know I have shared this link before of a trip shot entirely with the V1, so apologies it you have seen it before. http://www.achanceencounter.com/westernalberta

-- hide signature --

Paul

Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,736
Like?
See my post on the Sony E mount. I think the V1 is one of the best thought out

See my post on the Sony E mount. I think the V1 is one of the best thought out cameras. It has auto ISO where you can set the top limit. I use 100-400 outdoors and 100-800 indoors. In P mode its easy to change f stop & speed with the little lever. What will really impressed me is the BIF comparison between the V2 and FF & DX Nikons. If you don't need the extra pixels go for the V1.

-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3 & 5R + Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100

vkyr2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?

CarlAAsen wrote:

Thanks!

It depends on your primary usage, so what and under which conditions you mostly shoot images. For example, under good lighting conditions the V1 can make IQ wise nice images too and shoot faster than any other APS-C like cam. Though an APS-C sensor due to size will of course still have it's advantages in overall IQ, so the main difference will be here only the speed, size, weight and portability advantage of a V1.

Note however that for certain scenarios like shooting under dim indoor events, weddings and things like that, a V1 lacks the possible flash power in order to lighten scenes from more distance, which in turn means then higher ISO usage and more grainy resulting IQ shots. So there are possible scenarios where a V1 has some shortcomings you will have to live with and where bigger APS-C based DSLRs etc. still have advantages.

Personally I see the V1 as a good companion to bigger DSLRs and not something that can replace them entirely. So I use it together with a DSLR when on events and the like as second cam.

-- hide signature --

Valentino

nexpirate
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Re: See my post on the Sony E mount. I think the V1 is one of the best thought out
In reply to Jerry R, 8 months ago

In all honesty - how often do you change from matrix, auto ISO, P or A mode etc? I only change some JPEG settings or exposure comp for 75% of shots. The V1 shots are razor sharp with all the lenses. As long as AF is spot on and the lighting and composition right, you'd have to use a magnifying glass to tell apart from a cropped sensor. I love my V1 and for shots on holiday, kids playing rugby and football, wildlife etc - it's perfect. I got bored pixel peeping and prefer hard contrast than great dynamic range. Plus the speed of the AF and general software speed is right up there. The screen and EVF are sublime. I think you'll be happy.

Ex NEX 3/5/5N/6 D40/90/7000 A37 60D XE1 X10 owner here.....

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,746Gear list
Like?

Yes, you could very well be disappointed in the IQ compared to a newer generation bigger sensor.

The V series cameras are an off combo of unique features and disappointing deficiencies.   No flash, so you can't really use it as a point-n-shoot except in good light.  (However, the add-on SB-N5 flash is a little gem and color balance with it is excellent).

The AF is really outstanding, and is a main feature to buy the camera.  However, manual focus, should you want to use it is a disaster.

Performance in good light is good, but it gets grainy fast compared to a modern DSLR.  You can't pull down the highlights much either, though you can at least shoot in RAW.

A unique feature (as far as I know) is the ability to use large DSLR (Nikon AF-S) lenses on it, with the FT-1 adapter, retaining VR (always on) and AF (central point only).   27x crop factor gives the camera capability for shooting wildlife you cannot get anywhere else, and it's both affordable and lightweight.  300F4 AF-S works great on the V1.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?

Carl, to add an important parameter at all what was said: V1 RAW files and DXO Pro9 are in total synergy. Image quality that is obtained almost automatically is amazing.

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
Jerry R
Like?
nexpirate ?
In reply to nexpirate, 8 months ago
-- hide signature --

Hmm1000
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Re: nexpirate ?

I had a NEX 5. The slowness of the AF was a pain. V1 is as fast as a D700 / D300 in my experience -- the ability to track objects better. If you want something to take pictures of things that move, V1 has a huge advantage.

NEX 5 also had a very noisy shutter. Electronic shutters are great, in a lot of ways. (Not sure about NEX 6.)

Also good is having the option of very high frame rates.

In summary; if you want a small dslr -- a camera that is a jack of all trades - V1 etc are great. The compromise is image quality. And that will show on a 27" screen / on a TV etc.

(I don't use video, but there are technical reasons why the V1 video is particularly good.)

Hmm1000's gear list:Hmm1000's gear list
Nikon 1 V2
Hmm1000
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Re: nexpirate ?
In reply to Hmm1000, 8 months ago

ps manual focus with the 32mm 1.2 is good, imo

Hmm1000's gear list:Hmm1000's gear list
Nikon 1 V2
Jerry R
Like?
nexpirate is your reply meant for me, because I think we are saying the same thing?
In reply to nexpirate, 8 months ago

nexpirate is your reply meant for me, because I think we are saying the same thing?

-- hide signature --

nexpirate
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Re: nexpirate is your reply meant for me, because I think we are saying the same thing?

-- hide signature --

I'm not sure why my reply ended up quoting you there. Fat fingers on the iPhone I think!

Sonyshine
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, 8 months ago

Of course if you use Nikon F mount lenses on the FT1 adapter then manual focus works beautifully.

Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
tomhongkong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,414
Like?

Hi

I have used an a700 almost since it was first announced, and decided last year that I would try something smaller. Initially I bought a Fuji x10, then a V1 kit with 10-30 and 30-110 when they were on sale, and have just picked up a Nex 7 with 16-50 PZ (used but very cheap) My current strategy is to carry a mid range zoom camera (x10) and long zoom (V1) so I don't have to change lenses. I have actually not used my a700 for nearly a year!

I guess the answer to your IQ question depends on what you do with your images. The V1 runs the a700 pretty close in IQ, but has less DR (but it's not too bad if you shoot RAW), and of course 10 v 12mp. However I was looking back at some a700 images the other day and was struck that they just looked better..maybe because I usually used better glass

I find the V1 EVF is fine but this is a highly emotive subject!

The V1 excels as a compact package with the tiny 30-110 (nearly 300mm equiv) or if focus tracking is important. I am happy to keep it just for that for sports shooting. There really is no alternative to it if that is what you want. The 150mm 4/3 zooms or 200mm NEX zooms are far too big in comparison.

I am not nearly as happy using it in the 10-30mm range, and probably would prefer the X10 if that was all I used it for. The x10 has nicer handling in many ways and is a 'camera you can love more' (I plan that the NEX7 will take over from the X10 for that mid range purpose, giving far more features, options and IQ)

I would not buy the V1 again if I did not want to take advantage of the 2.7x crop and longer lens

There are lots of areas where you will find the V1 handling limiting, like long start up time, no custom settings, no bracketing. You really need to analyse what features you use on the a700 and ask here how the V1 handles them. I do not find the menu system a problem as I don't change settings that often, and have just got used to the restrictions. (For shooting sport outside I set it to S, 1/1500, iso auto and let it get on with it while I concentrate on the action, and it works just fine)

The V1 scene mode dial is a pain as it gets nudged too easily, but the display in the EVF shows that you have the wrong setting so I can live with it.

For what it is worth, at first impression the NEX7 seems a much more complete camera than either the V1 or X10, and takes over nicely from my a700. It is only the size of the set up with long lenses especially with the adapter to use my 70-300G or 80-200G that puts me off planning to use it all the time. Having instant acess to shooting parameters with the tri dial, a histogram in the viewfinder while I am shooting and real liveview puts it in a totally different class in getting decently exposed shots in difficult conditions. NEX 6 gets pretty close to it, though.

So the current plan is NEX7 with mid range zoom and shortish primes, and V1 with 30-110 and maybe 70-300 when it comes.

When I get round to it I will take a comparison shot using V1 with 18.5mm/1.8 and NEX 7 with sigma 30/2.8 (which I have in my box) I am looking forward to that head to head

I am sure others on this forum will disagree with my views!

good luck with your choice

tom

Sonyshine
Like?
In reply to tomhongkong, 8 months ago

A good summary Tom. I own these two cameras and I think you have got this spot on.

Nung
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?
In reply to tomhongkong, 8 months ago

My V1's start up time couldn't be more than a second. Slow start up? Am I missing something? I have the X10 also, if you're complaining about the V1's start up time, than it must take over a year for the X10 to turn on.

Don't understand your logic of using the X10 over the V1's 10-30mm range. IQ-wise, performance-wise, X10 lacks way behind. The only reason I would ever choose the X10 over the V1 is the look. The X10 is one beautiful camera, apart from that, the V1 wins pretty much everything else.

Not sure what's the point in comparing the V1 with NEX7, it's like comparing a D4 to a D3200 and saying how much better the D4 is........... well, I'd say it better bloody be, it's so much more expensive!

Nung's gear list:Nung's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads