Is EOS M suitable as a second Camera ?!!

Started 9 months ago | Questions
John TF
Contributing MemberPosts: 864
Like?
Re: Is EOS M suitable as a second Camera ?!!
In reply to ShaunW73, 9 months ago

ShaunW73 wrote:

I have a 60D, and bought the M for exactly the same reasons as the OP. I love it as a second, take anywhere camera. The firmware update sorted any af issues, which I never really found that bad anyway.

If you already have a 60d and lenses, then it makes sense to buy the M and the lens adapter.

-- hide signature --

Yep, I suck at typing...

Sorry, I see now that my post was ambiguous. I was responding to the previous post, not the OP, having presented my argument that the M's AF is just fine, especially if you modify your technique a bit for kids.

-- hide signature --

John TF

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
olddog99
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
In reply to Masoud Tahami, 9 months ago

I have reservations about this. I am too used to seeing SLR it's difficult  to deal with something that doesn't work at the same speed and that makes it hard to see anything at times, I.e. Excess daylight on  screen . It's what drove me to NEX because it at least has a finder.  You'll have many more times when your SLR shot would be and over while the M is still hunting. It strikes me as slower in many cases. Compared to the S 90 and S100 which I used as a backup (still occasionally) . The upside is the sensor is good. Fwiw, I've used mine with the 50-255 as a different kind of backup and the results are generally good. On that lens, it will chew through the battery faster, I just carry a spare. No flash?  that doesn't bother me, but you might miss it on occasion.

olddog99's gear list:olddog99's gear list
Voigtlander 50mm F1.1 Nokton Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9-P +21 more
Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,056Gear list
Like?
In reply to olddog99, 9 months ago

olddog99 wrote:

I have reservations about this. I am too used to seeing SLR it's difficult to deal with something that doesn't work at the same speed and that makes it hard to see anything at times, I.e. Excess daylight on screen . It's what drove me to NEX because it at least has a finder. You'll have many more times when your SLR shot would be and over while the M is still hunting. It strikes me as slower in many cases. Compared to the S 90 and S100 which I used as a backup (still occasionally) .

With the 18-55 the M is faster than my S100 at focusing. The 22mm may be a trifle slower in poor light, but the exceptional quality of that lens makes up for it.

The upside is the sensor is good. Fwiw, I've used mine with the 50-255 as a different kind of backup and the results are generally good. On that lens, it will chew through the battery faster, I just carry a spare. No flash? that doesn't bother me, but you might miss it on occasion.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +17 more
peter42y
Senior MemberPosts: 2,146Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alastair Norcross, 7 months ago

Alastair Norcross wrote:

dual12 wrote:

Masoud Tahami wrote:

the most important question is autofocus speed. you think, it will be acceptable for me (in compered with EOS 60D) ?!!
tanQ.

Of course not. If you're at all concerned with focus speed, do NOT buy an EOS M. The EOS M is for people who don't care about focus speed.

This is absolute nonsense, as anyone who has actually used the M (with updated firmware) can tell you. The focus speed is not as fast as a DSLR, such as the 60D, when used with optical viewfinder, but considerably faster than live view AF on the 60D. The M's AF is also considerably faster than a compact point and shoot, such as the Canon S100. It is perfectly fast enough for anything except fast action. Anyone who thinks otherwise either hasn't used it, is an idiot, or both. The AF is also very accurate. More so than a DSLR.

I use my M as a second camera to my 7D. More accurately, the 7D is now the second camera to my M. This is because I have the M with me all the time. The 7D, even more so than the 60D, is too big to carry with me everywhere I go.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Exactly. Focus on the EOS-M is fast.

The camera was much maligned without reason.

look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSbGLFuWRVY

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon ELPH 500 HS Nikon 1 V1 Canon EOS M
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads