Is EOS M suitable as a second Camera ?!!

Started 10 months ago | Questions
Daniel Lee Taylor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,752
Like?
Re: Is EOS M suitable as a second Camera ?!!
In reply to dw123, 10 months ago

dw123 wrote:

Nonsense, it might not AF like PDAF on a DSLR, but it copes with some movement. It might not keep up with a racing car, but it is quite adequate for everyday general use for most photographers.

Exactly. The AF drama is over played. With single point AF the 18-55mm is actually quick and the 22mm is quite usable.

AF speed does not bug me on my M and my frame of reference is a 7D with USM L lenses. Of course I don't expect my M to track birds or sports, but for what I use it for it's fine.

Shot to shot black out time annoys me much more, but doesn't prevent me from making good use of the M.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
calterg
Regular MemberPosts: 458
Like?
what you need to know, basic info
In reply to Masoud Tahami, 10 months ago

Masoud Tahami wrote:

tanQ friends.

I have an other guestion about EOS M too;

what mean that?!! it means that eye-fi technology is built-in or means that an eye-fi card is needed, which one ?!!
(Rock and Rollei)

I use the toshiba flashair card with my eos m.

1. You need eyefi card

2. Once plugged in and set up, c

onnection Is through Android app.

3.It will only transfer jpegs, raw files will be ignored.

4. You cannot control the cam through the app. It will only do ONE THING, which is transferring jpegs to your smartphone or tablet.

5. The eos m is a great quality camera. The body is made in japan, imagine that.

And it takes great pictures.

vrot01
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?
In reply to dual12, 10 months ago

Check out YouTube videos. There's a video of a pro photographer comparing the focus speed/accuracy of the EOS M to his Canon DSLR. In one segment, he uses the adapter with one of his DSLR lenses. In the time it took for him to focus on his daughter with the EOS M, she grew up, started a career, got married, had kids, and died:).

Ahhh the return of the YouTube expert... The AF of the EOS M is just a touch slower (maybe 150 ms) than my Fuji x-pro1... Basically typical AF speed for mirrorless...

vrot01's gear list:vrot01's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Canon PowerShot S30 Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Canon EOS 5D Mark II +20 more
Markintosh
Contributing MemberPosts: 964Gear list
Like?
In reply to vrot01, 10 months ago

vrot01 wrote:

Check out YouTube videos. There's a video of a pro photographer comparing the focus speed/accuracy of the EOS M to his Canon DSLR. In one segment, he uses the adapter with one of his DSLR lenses. In the time it took for him to focus on his daughter with the EOS M, she grew up, started a career, got married, had kids, and died:).

Ahhh the return of the YouTube expert... The AF of the EOS M is just a touch slower (maybe 150 ms) than my Fuji x-pro1... Basically typical AF speed for mirrorless...

:)) you nailed it!!! YouTube expert, ha-ha!!!!

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Markintosh.

Markintosh's gear list:Markintosh's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +3 more
dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 290
Like?

Then she was reincarnated, lived another full life, and the EOS M still hadn't focused.

Ember42
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?

Masoud Tahami wrote:

Hi.
photography is my Hobby. I have an EOS 60D with several lenses. i like to have my Camera with me anywhere but it's not possible & i know this is a problem fot many of us !!
i want to ask; is EOS M suitable as a second & more available & accessible camera for me ?!!
the most important question is autofocus speed. you think, it will be acceptable for me (in compered with EOS 60D) ?!!
tanQ.

Yes it is.

I have a 60D and an M.  I keep a telephoto on the 60D, or 17-55 f2.8 depending on what i"m doing, and have the M with one of the 11-22, 22 f2.0 or 40 f2.8 depending on what i'm doing.  The telephoto on one and the landscape lens on the other is great for outdoor type stuff.

Ember42's gear list:Ember42's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS M Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +12 more
calterg
Regular MemberPosts: 458
Like?

dual12 wrote:

Then she was reincarnated, lived another full life, and the EOS M still hadn't focused.

Go away, little girl.

drpix
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?

Bu....it, AF speed is sufficient for MOST of "normal" users! Probably not for Sports Illustrated photogs. I use pro gear, both Canon and Leica, and M is a fantastic, light, back-up digicam capable (RAW) of delivering as good results! Stop this AF-speed paranoya please!
Andrzej
http://andrzejponiatowski.zenfolio.com/

drpix's gear list:drpix's gear list
Leica X Vario
drpix
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alastair Norcross, 10 months ago

Alastair Norcross wrote:

dual12 wrote:

Masoud Tahami wrote:

the most important question is autofocus speed. you think, it will be acceptable for me (in compered with EOS 60D) ?!!
tanQ.

Of course not. If you're at all concerned with focus speed, do NOT buy an EOS M. The EOS M is for people who don't care about focus speed.

This is absolute nonsense, as anyone who has actually used the M (with updated firmware) can tell you. The focus speed is not as fast as a DSLR, such as the 60D, when used with optical viewfinder, but considerably faster than live view AF on the 60D. The M's AF is also considerably faster than a compact point and shoot, such as the Canon S100. It is perfectly fast enough for anything except fast action. Anyone who thinks otherwise either hasn't used it, is an idiot, or both. The AF is also very accurate. More so than a DSLR.

I use my M as a second camera to my 7D. More accurately, the 7D is now the second camera to my M. This is because I have the M with me all the time. The 7D, even more so than the 60D, is too big to carry with me everywhere I go.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Absolutely brilliant reply! You´ve nailed it perfectly!

Amen to that!

Andrzej
http://andrzejponiatowski.zenfolio.com/

drpix's gear list:drpix's gear list
Leica X Vario
Paul B Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051Gear list
Like?
High End Point and Shoot

I've always carried a high end point and shoot as a second camera and given that mirrorless cameras like the EOS M are exactly that - high end point and shoots - go for it!

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 400mm f/4.0 DO IS USM +6 more
Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,252Gear list
Like?
In reply to dw123, 10 months ago

dw123 wrote:

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

Does your subject move or stay still? If your subject moves, the EOS-M is not for you. If your subject doesn't move, the EOS-M's AF might be OK.

Nonsense, it might not AF like PDAF on a DSLR, but it copes with some movement. It might not keep up with a racing car, but it is quite adequate for everyday general use for most photographers.

My keeper rate shooting EOS-M on subjects that aren't momentarily stationary isn't good enough that I would recommend buying an EOS-M if shooting moving subjects is a prime goal.  I am not talking continuously tracking a moving target.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +39 more
Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,228Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marcos Villaroman, 10 months ago

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

dw123 wrote:

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

Does your subject move or stay still? If your subject moves, the EOS-M is not for you. If your subject doesn't move, the EOS-M's AF might be OK.

My keeper rate shooting EOS-M on subjects that aren't momentarily stationary isn't good enough that I would recommend buying an EOS-M if shooting moving subjects is a prime goal. I am not talking continuously tracking a moving target.

Do you use servo?

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S45 Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS +17 more
vrot01
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

dw123 wrote:

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

My keeper rate shooting EOS-M on subjects that aren't momentarily stationary isn't good enough that I would recommend buying an EOS-M if shooting moving subjects is a prime goal. I am not talking continuously tracking a moving target.

I'm confused... I've shot moving targets... If the light is good... I crank up the DOF and fire away... Get lots of keepers...  i could see where the much faster shutter speed on a dslr could freeze action better than the m...

vrot01's gear list:vrot01's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Canon PowerShot S30 Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Canon EOS 5D Mark II +20 more
Masoud Tahami
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ember42, 10 months ago

Ember42 wrote:

Masoud Tahami wrote:

Hi.
photography is my Hobby. I have an EOS 60D with several lenses. i like to have my Camera with me anywhere but it's not possible & i know this is a problem fot many of us !!
i want to ask; is EOS M suitable as a second & more available & accessible camera for me ?!!
tanQ.

Yes it is.

I have a 60D and an M. I keep a telephoto on the 60D, or 17-55 f2.8 depending on what i"m doing, and have the M with one of the 11-22, 22 f2.0 or 40 f2.8 depending on what i'm doing. The telephoto on one and the landscape lens on the other is great for outdoor type stuff.

That is exactly what i think about. A telephoto lens for my 60D and a wide lens for EOS M which i want to buy.
tanQ, your note excited me and vouched my wish.

Masoud Tahami's gear list:Masoud Tahami's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS M Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +2 more
John TF
Contributing MemberPosts: 890
Like?

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

No. See:  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52526142

-- hide signature --

John TF

ShaunW73
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
In reply to John TF, 10 months ago

I have a 60D, and bought the M for exactly the same reasons as the OP. I love it as a second, take anywhere camera. The firmware update sorted any af issues, which I never really found that bad anyway.

If you already have a 60d and lenses, then it makes sense to buy the M and the lens adapter.

-- hide signature --

Yep, I suck at typing...

ShaunW73's gear list:ShaunW73's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Rock and Rollei
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?

Masoud Tahami wrote:

tanQ friends.

I have an other guestion about EOS M too;

what mean that?!! it means that eye-fi technology is built-in or means that an eye-fi card is needed, which one ?!!
(Rock and Rollei)

It means a card is needed, but there is inbuilt support for it - that support is fairly linited, in terms of keeping the camera switched on whilst the card is uploading imaged, allowing the WiFi to be switched off and there's an Eye-Fi icon, that's about it, but it does make it a bit easier than working with a camra without such support.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M Pentax Q +34 more
ShaunW73
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rock and Rollei, 10 months ago

to add to the useful info above. I used an Eye-Fi card with my EOS-M and it drains the battery very quickly. I prefer using a normal card and reader becuase of that.

-- hide signature --

Yep, I suck at typing...

ShaunW73's gear list:ShaunW73's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +4 more
Rock and Rollei
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?
In reply to ShaunW73, 10 months ago

ShaunW73 wrote:

to add to the useful info above. I used an Eye-Fi card with my EOS-M and it drains the battery very quickly. I prefer using a normal card and reader becuase of that.

-- hide signature --

Yep, I suck at typing...

Yes, that's true. The battery drain, not your typing!

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M Pentax Q +34 more
SkipJG
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?

The focus speed will not compare well to a DSLR (except for live view in which case the am does well). The M is my primary camera and I am glad it is. As with ALL cameras, time spent with using it will let you learn the workflow needed for taking pictures, whatever the situation. I am continually impressed with what this camera delivers. It is a much better camera than the Internet reviewers (most which don't have it) give it credit. All I want is a few more native M lenses.

Best Regards,

SkipJG's gear list:SkipJG's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads