Is EOS M suitable as a second Camera ?!!

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Questions
Masoud Tahami
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Is EOS M suitable as a second Camera ?!!
Dec 10, 2013

Hi.
photography is my Hobby. I have an EOS 60D with several lenses. i like to have my Camera with me anywhere but it's not possible & i know this is a problem fot many of us !!
i want to ask; is EOS M suitable as a second & more available & accessible camera for me ?!!
the most important question is autofocus speed. you think, it will be acceptable for me (in compered with EOS 60D) ?!!
tanQ.

Masoud Tahami's gear list:Masoud Tahami's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 352
Like?
Re: Is EOS M suitable as a second Camera ?!!
In reply to Masoud Tahami, Dec 10, 2013

Masoud Tahami wrote:

the most important question is autofocus speed. you think, it will be acceptable for me (in compered with EOS 60D) ?!!
tanQ.

Of course not.  If you're at all concerned with focus speed, do NOT buy an EOS M.  The EOS M is for people who don't care about focus speed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Masoud Tahami
Like?
In reply to dual12, Dec 10, 2013

i dont concern with AF speed too much than normal use but i dont want the AF speed is so terrible that i would regret of buying this camera !!

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +2 more
roger bourland
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?

My main camera is a 7D, I got the Canon M for a vacation and carry around camera. I took it to Hawaii and I was pleased with it. (note I took my 7D as well) The M isn't for everyone at the price it is going for I think it is a good deal I have it my car all the time, if my car gets stolen or broken into it won't be that much of a loss, if my7D was to be stolen I would be devastated.

roger bourland's gear list:roger bourland's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 352
Like?

Check out YouTube videos. There's a video of a pro photographer comparing the focus speed/accuracy of the EOS M to his Canon DSLR. In one segment, he uses the adapter with one of his DSLR lenses. In the time it took for him to focus on his daughter with the EOS M, she grew up, started a career, got married, had kids, and died:).

Masoud Tahami
Like?
In reply to roger bourland, Dec 10, 2013

tanQ.
i have another question.
you have EOS M. how is eye-fi connection?!! it needs eye-fi card or that is built-in ?!!

Robin Empson
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?

I just purchased it as a second camera to my 5D II - it is exactly what I was looking for - simple, easy to use and great IQ.  I stayed away from this camera due to so many people stating how slowly it focused.  I must say that is nonsense.  It focuses as quickly (if not faster) than my Canon G-12 and is about what I would expect from a camera this size.  At the current prices, I can't see how a person could go wrong with this camera.

Rock and Rollei
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?

Masoud Tahami wrote:

tanQ.
i have another question.
you have EOS M. how is eye-fi connection?!! it needs eye-fi card or that is built-in ?!!

It needs an Eye-fi card.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 450D Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +34 more
Rock and Rollei
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rock and Rollei, Dec 10, 2013

I use mine mainly as a second camera for my 6D - as long as you don't expect to shoot a lot of action with it, it's brilliant.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 450D Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +34 more
Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,617Gear list
Like?

dual12 wrote:

Masoud Tahami wrote:

tanQ.

Of course not. If you're at all concerned with focus speed, do NOT buy an EOS M. The EOS M is for people who don't care about focus speed.

This is absolute nonsense, as anyone who has actually used the M (with updated firmware) can tell you. The focus speed is not as fast as a DSLR, such as the 60D, when used with optical viewfinder, but considerably faster than live view AF on the 60D. The M's AF is also considerably faster than a compact point and shoot, such as the Canon S100. It is perfectly fast enough for anything except fast action. Anyone who thinks otherwise either hasn't used it, is an idiot, or both. The AF is also very accurate. More so than a DSLR.

I use my M as a second camera to my 7D. More accurately, the 7D is now the second camera to my M. This is because I have the M with me all the time. The 7D, even more so than the 60D, is too big to carry with me everywhere I go.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +16 more
Markintosh
Contributing MemberPosts: 987Gear list
Like?

dual12 wrote:

Check out YouTube videos. There's a video of a pro photographer comparing the focus speed/accuracy of the EOS M to his Canon DSLR. In one segment, he uses the adapter with one of his DSLR lenses. In the time it took for him to focus on his daughter with the EOS M, she grew up, started a career, got married, had kids, and died:).

This is the good time to chill and go back to your perfect Fuji/Sony world. If you expected from EOS-M focus like DSLR — I'm sorry for you. Every camera has its optimum usage — EOS-M is not for sport/action shooting, but if you learn how to optimize your technique you may get good result it this area as well.

And com'n — YouTube has enough cute pets videos, stop to watch crap tests of the photo gear.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Markintosh.

Markintosh's gear list:Markintosh's gear list
Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M +4 more
Kaso
Contributing MemberPosts: 821
Like?
Is EOS M suitable as a second Camera? YES.

I throroughly enjoy my EOS M. With the excellent 22mm pancake lens, the M is compact enough to be in my jacket/coat pocket at all times. Don't be put off by negative exaggerations regarding the M's AF capability which, to me, is comparable to my G15's.

If you already have Canon EF/EF-S lenses, the EF-M adapter can be very handy.

Every camera in my collection has its purpose, but I spend more time with the EOS M -- fun to use, and image quality is awesome.

tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,859Gear list
Like?

Masoud Tahami wrote:

i dont concern with AF speed too much than normal use but i dont want the AF speed is so terrible that i would regret of buying this camera !!

How can we answer this?

It focuses pretty slow with the 22mm lens (the 18-55 zoom is faster) but the camera is pretty popular on this forum, so we are not regretting buying it, but you might.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,291Gear list
Like?

Masoud Tahami wrote:

Hi.
photography is my Hobby. I have an EOS 60D with several lenses. i like to have my Camera with me anywhere but it's not possible & i know this is a problem fot many of us !!
i want to ask; is EOS M suitable as a second & more available & accessible camera for me ?!!
tanQ.

I'm not shy to say that there is multitude of options for compact companion to DSLR. Some of them maybe better than EOS M with its 3 lenses line up. However, none of the other offering can provide support for EF/EF-S lenses as M can do via native adapter. And this is where the M could be the most logical choice for the Canon DSLR system user.

Coming from Canon pro DSLR's I don't even try to compare AF speed but for day to day, casual shooting, I embrace M as an perfect Canon DSLR companion. It is about accepting what the camera could and cannot do do for you, keeping in mind the other options at your disposal and choosing the best tool for anticipated situation.

I don't know about the 60D autofocus speed, it should be better than M, I guess, but it does not have the portability of M system if you have that in mind. Right now the prices for remaining first gen EOS M are really low even comparing with good quality P$S, something important to have in perspective.

RF

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +7 more
Maxmolly7
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richard Franiec, Dec 10, 2013

Use your 60D in live-view mode and you will have an idea of what AF-speed you can expect from the M.

Until the 70D came, the 100D/SL1 was the fastest to AF in live-view, the M right after that.

The M moved from 2nd to 1st camera for me after thorough consideration and reality check when I came back from the last summer holidays. I decided to sell my DSLR in favour of the small and light M-system.

-- hide signature --

May THE LIGHT be with you!

Maxmolly7's gear list:Maxmolly7's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC +9 more
Masoud Tahami
Like?

tanQ friends.

I have an other guestion about EOS M too;

what mean that?!! it means that eye-fi technology is built-in or means that an eye-fi card is needed, which one ?!!
(Rock and Rollei)

Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,271Gear list
Like?

Masoud Tahami wrote:

Hi.
tanQ.

Does your subject move or stay still?  If your subject moves, the EOS-M is not for you.  If your subject doesn't move, the EOS-M's AF might be OK.

The key is whether or not you can pick up the EOS-M body with 22 and 17-55 lens for the cheap bundle price of $400.  Add the EF to M adapter for another $100 or so and you are all set to play around with two bodies around your neck or have the option of a slightly smaller kit with the EOS-M.  That's $500 for this setup.

The other thing to consider:  what high end P&S or low-end mirrorless setup can you buy for $500 to $600 instead?  You'd be giving up compatibility with the lens that mount to your 60D if you go that route and again, these options won't be good for fast moving subjects.

The last obvious answer is a SL1 for a second body.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 2,250Gear list
Like?
In reply to Maxmolly7, Dec 10, 2013

Maxmolly7 wrote:

Use your 60D in live-view mode and you will have an idea of what AF-speed you can expect from the M.

I disagree with this. My 60D's live view is basically unusable for anything that moves even a little. The M is FAR superior to the 60D in live view.

The 60D is most similar to the T3i.  The M is most similar to the T4i and T5i.  A big advantage to the T4i/T5i over the T3i is live view focusing.

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
dw123
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
In reply to Marcos Villaroman, Dec 10, 2013

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

Masoud Tahami wrote:

Hi.
tanQ.

Does your subject move or stay still? If your subject moves, the EOS-M is not for you. If your subject doesn't move, the EOS-M's AF might be OK.

Nonsense, it might not AF like PDAF on a DSLR, but it copes with some movement. It might not keep up with a racing car, but it is quite adequate for everyday general use for most photographers.

Michael Eckstein
Senior MemberPosts: 2,120Gear list
Like?
In reply to dw123, Dec 10, 2013

My 7D has become my second camera after I got my EOS M.

Michael Eckstein's gear list:Michael Eckstein's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads