what is a hybrid camera?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Allochka Emiliana
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107
Like?
what is a hybrid camera?
8 months ago

Usually, the categories are amateur,  enthusiast, advanced enthusiast, semi pro and professional cameras...

A7/r are called hybrid cameras so can someone explain? A7/r - are they considered pro cameras?

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,318Gear list
Like?
Re: what is a hybrid camera?
In reply to Allochka Emiliana, 8 months ago

I may be mistaken, but I think a "hybrid camera" is a camera does both video and stills.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,707Gear list
Like?

A hybrid camera is a Sony body with a Canon lens on it..... 

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188Gear list
Like?

Usually, the categories are amateur,  enthusiast, advanced enthusiast, semi pro and professional cameras...

A7/r are called hybrid cameras so can someone explain? A7/r - are they considered pro cameras?

If you make the bulk of your income from a camera you are a professional. And if you do that with an a7 or a NEX7, that camera is a professional camera.

I own the D800 and the a7r. Both great for very different types of photography. The a7r is made to much more fragile standards than the D800 is and lacks items such as dual cards that are often quoted as important to professionals.

Despite the fact that I use the a7r professionally, I hesitate to call it professional. It simply isn't made to professional standards. Carpenters know this: you can do a job with any old hammer, but a good hammer will last a lifetime; a bad one will lose its head after a day of work.

Build-wise, the problems I have with the a7r are many; image quality wise, I am mum. Amazing output.
--
<a href="http://ohm-image.net/opinion/photophile/review-sony-a7r-ilce-7r">Review of the Sony ILCE-7r (a7r) from a still life/manual lens user's perspective</a>
<a href="http://ohm-image.net/opinion/photophile/review-canon-ltm-m39-35-2"/>review: Leica M9/X-Pro 1 and Canon 35/2 LTM</a>
<a href="http://ohm-image.net/opinion/photophile/">ohm image - audio photography</a>

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,235Gear list
Like?

Allochka Emiliana wrote:

Usually, the categories are amateur, enthusiast, advanced enthusiast, semi pro and professional cameras...

Honestly, hybrid is a marketing term that is popular due to gas/electric hybrid cars.

hy·bridˈhīˌbrid/noun

1. BIOLOGYthe offspring of two plants or animals of different species or varieties, such as a mule (a hybrid of a donkey and a horse)."a hybrid of wheat and rye"
  2. a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture."the final text is a hybrid of the stage play and the film"

Definition 2 is what we want.

The term hybrid in the case of the A7 could be one of two things. It has a hybrid focus system (mixture of contrast and phase detection), but it is also a hybrid SLR/mirrorless camera. The A7r is just the SLR/mirrorless hybrid.

Again, it happens to be a popular marketing word right now so it is used frequently.  Otherwise I would consider them semi-pro.  The cameras could easily be used for certain pro work.  Honestly, any camera can be used for pro work and that makes it a pro camera.  Those categories are all just marketing terms.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Allochka Emiliana
Like?
In reply to shigzeo ?, 8 months ago

shigzeo ? wrote:

Usually, the categories are amateur, enthusiast, advanced enthusiast, semi pro and professional cameras...

If you make the bulk of your income from a camera you are a professional. And if you do that with an a7 or a NEX7, that camera is a professional camera.

I own the D800 and the a7r. Both great for very different types of photography. The a7r is made to much more fragile standards than the D800 is and lacks items such as dual cards that are often quoted as important to professionals.

Despite the fact that I use the a7r professionally, I hesitate to call it professional. It simply isn't made to professional standards. Carpenters know this: you can do a job with any old hammer, but a good hammer will last a lifetime; a bad one will lose its head after a day of work.

Build-wise, the problems I have with the a7r are many; image quality wise, I am mum. Amazing output.
--
<a href="http://ohm-image.net/opinion/photophile/review-sony-a7r-ilce-7r">Review of the Sony ILCE-7r (a7r) from a still life/manual lens user's perspective</a>
<a href="http://ohm-image.net/opinion/photophile/review-canon-ltm-m39-35-2"/>review: Leica M9/X-Pro 1 and Canon 35/2 LTM</a>
<a href="http://ohm-image.net/opinion/photophile/">ohm image - audio photography</a>

I am not talking about job title. I am talking about the gear...so your answer it is not a pro camera. Let me read the rest of the replies...

Allochka Emiliana
Like?
In reply to viking79, 8 months ago

viking79 wrote:

Allochka Emiliana wrote:

Honestly, hybrid is a marketing term that is popular due to gas/electric hybrid cars.

hy·bridˈhīˌbrid/noun

1. BIOLOGYthe offspring of two plants or animals of different species or varieties, such as a mule (a hybrid of a donkey and a horse)."a hybrid of wheat and rye"
  2. a thing made by combining two different elements; a mixture."the final text is a hybrid of the stage play and the film"

The term hybrid in the case of the A7 could be one of two things. It has a hybrid focus system (mixture of contrast and phase detection), but it is also a hybrid SLR/mirrorless camera. The A7r is just the SLR/mirrorless hybrid.

Again, it happens to be a popular marketing word right now so it is used frequently. Otherwise I would consider them semi-pro. The cameras could easily be used for certain pro work. Honestly, any camera can be used for pro work and that makes it a pro camera. Those categories are all just marketing terms.

Eric

"Honestly, any camera can be used for pro work and that makes it a pro camera." It depends...I keep hearing about this "any camera" but I think it is more about what kind of assignment. You cannot bring a P&S camera to cover a Formula 1 car race.

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,136
Like?

Allochka Emiliana wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Allochka Emiliana wrote:

hy·bridˈhīˌbrid/noun

Again, it happens to be a popular marketing word right now so it is used frequently. Otherwise I would consider them semi-pro. The cameras could easily be used for certain pro work. Honestly, any camera can be used for pro work and that makes it a pro camera. Those categories are all just marketing terms.

Eric

"Honestly, any camera can be used for pro work and that makes it a pro camera." It depends...I keep hearing about this "any camera" but I think it is more about what kind of assignment. You cannot bring a P&S camera to cover a Formula 1 car race.

There are a few ways to define professional. one is like Eric say: A camera used by a professional to do his job. The other way (more marketing like) is that the build of the camera is in a way that it is stronger, has more options aimed at some professional use (like two memorycard slots, better service, bettwer quality lenses etc.)

In the endyou can cover a Formula 1 car race with many P&S cameras, the IQ will be good enough for most uses (like to print in a newpaper, or so) but it takes more skill and more preparation (where to stand, how to focus, the right moment) for the right shot etc.  And no you won't find many P&S at sport events, but some of them would be very capable in the right hands. It is more the photographeer then the camera that makes the shot, remember that.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,235Gear list
Like?

Allochka Emiliana wrote:

You miss my point.  I didn't say any camera can be used for a specific type of work, I said any camera that is used for professional work is by definition a professional camera.  I didn't say you should show up at weddings with a point and shoot, but shooting professional portraits using studio strobes can be done just fine with a Rebel T3 and kit lens.  Not every professional needs a Nikon D4.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,707Gear list
Like?
Hybrid is just another term for mirror-less.

Sony used the term 'hybrid' originally to define their NEX cameras - its their way of saying mirror-less, or ILC or EVIL or whatever you want to call this category.

On their UK page for 'hybrid' cameras they have the various NEX models and class the NEX7 as 'professional' camera.

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/nex-compact-system-camera

Hybrid does not mean anything really - its just a camera that is not a Digital Single Lens Reflex camera nor Fixed Lens Compact camera.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Philip Corlis
Contributing MemberPosts: 814Gear list
Like?

In a way I think most of these sorts of titles have almost outlived their usefulness. Point and Shoot, Mid-range compact, High end fixed lens, Amateur DSLR and Pro DSLR are a few categories that have been around for decades. Hybrid is one of the many names used to describe digital interchangeable lens, mirror-less cameras. Since these cameras don't easily fall into any of the existing categories, they have been called many other things as well including EVIL (electronic viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) cameras.

That's my take anyway.

-- hide signature --

Phil
www.PhilCorlis.com
www.FindingBritain.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads