My 12-35 arrived

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,049Gear list
Like?
My 12-35 arrived
9 months ago

I used to like the 12-32, and now I could trash it. It's always the same story, the newer and greater shows the shortcomings of the older stuff. So much for walking around with my GM1 and kit 12-32. Oh well.

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,265Gear list
Like?
Re: My 12-35 arrived
In reply to Enir4, 9 months ago

Well then, I will take your 12-32 if you no longer want it!

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,043Gear list
Like?

I used to like the 12-32, and now I could trash it. It's always the same story, the newer and greater shows the shortcomings of the older stuff. So much for walking around with my GM1 and kit 12-32. Oh well.

Enrique

Mmmi...Could you elaborate? Maybe share some comparison samples? The 12-35 has the extra speed, of course, with the attendant ability to keep up the ISO in low light, and the ability to have shallower DOF, but in other respects, in good light,I expect the IQs to be comparable.
Bob

Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,310Gear list
Like?
Don't ditch the 12-32 just yet...

My somewhat similar situation is that I have the Olympus E-M5 and as standard zoom lenses I have the Panasonic 14-42X (pancake zoom lens) and the 12-40 f/2.8. Your post suggests that the 14-42X should be gathering dust. But it does not and in fact the 14-42X is on my camera most of the time because it makes for a very compact setup that I can carry just about everywhere. The 12-40 only comes out for real "shoots" that are planned. Most of the time when I just want to be ready to take a good shot of an unexpected event the 14-42X is on the camera and does an excellent job.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Enir4
Like?
In reply to Chas2, 9 months ago

Chas2 wrote:

Well then, I will take your 12-32 if you no longer want it!

Deal! 700 euros and it's all yours!

Enrique

RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
Enir4
Like?
In reply to Robert Deutsch, 9 months ago

Robert Deutsch wrote:

Enrique

Mmmi...Could you elaborate? Maybe share some comparison samples? The 12-35 has the extra speed, of course, with the attendant ability to keep up the ISO in low light, and the ability to have shallower DOF, but in other respects, in good light,I expect the IQs to be comparable.
Bob

The 12-35 is not only much sharper, it also has more accurate colors and better rendering. They didn't put only bigger glass, but better glass. I will try to post some examples, maybe tomorrow.

Enrique

Enir4
Like?
Re: Don't ditch the 12-32 just yet...
In reply to Paul De Bra, 9 months ago

Paul De Bra wrote:

My somewhat similar situation is that I have the Olympus E-M5 and as standard zoom lenses I have the Panasonic 14-42X (pancake zoom lens) and the 12-40 f/2.8. Your post suggests that the 14-42X should be gathering dust. But it does not and in fact the 14-42X is on my camera most of the time because it makes for a very compact setup that I can carry just about everywhere. The 12-40 only comes out for real "shoots" that are planned. Most of the time when I just want to be ready to take a good shot of an unexpected event the 14-42X is on the camera and does an excellent job.

You have a point. I can take my GM1 with the 12-32 without even noticing it.

Enrique

photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,258Gear list
Like?

The big 12-35 on a GM1? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the GM1?

I would take a GX7 any day if I would like to use a large lens like this one.
To me, the GM1 makes sense with pancakes, like the 14, 20, 12-32 or at most something like the 45 1.8.

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
Enir4
Like?
In reply to photofan1986, 9 months ago

photofan1986 wrote:

The big 12-35 on a GM1? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the GM1?

I would take a GX7 any day if I would like to use a large lens like this one.
To me, the GM1 makes sense with pancakes, like the 14, 20, 12-32 or at most something like the 45 1.8.

I agree. In fact, I have the 12-35 on my GX7.

Enrique

photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,258Gear list
Like?

Ah ok, sorry

Don't know why I assumed you only had the GM1 as a body.

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
targut
Regular MemberPosts: 417Gear list
Like?

Enir4 wrote:

The 12-35 is not only much sharper, it also has more accurate colors and better rendering.

you mean, it has better contrast.

targut's gear list:targut's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung NX2000 Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Enir4
Like?
In reply to targut, 9 months ago

targut wrote:

Enir4 wrote:

The 12-35 is not only much sharper, it also has more accurate colors and better rendering.

you mean, it has better contrast.

As I said, better rendering and resoltution, and more accurate colors. It's non only contrast.

Enrique

Jolly Oly
Contributing MemberPosts: 978Gear list
Like?
I would much appreciate

if you could post some comparison shots @ 12mm f/3.5

No doubts 12-35 is better, but I wonder how much. An ooc jpegs will do, and a link to RAW files would be awesome

-- hide signature --
 Jolly Oly's gear list:Jolly Oly's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Enir4
Like?
Re: I would much appreciate
In reply to Jolly Oly, 9 months ago

Jolly Oly wrote:

if you could post some comparison shots @ 12mm f/3.5

No doubts 12-35 is better, but I wonder how much. An ooc jpegs will do, and a link to RAW files would be awesome

I don't have an FTP site to place raw files. I guess the best I can do is posting here some comparison photos, JPEG's out of camera, maybe crops at 100%, so files are not too big. I will do it tomorrow if it's sunny, otherwise I'll wait because light changes influence too much.

Enrique

Enir4
Like?
In reply to Robert Deutsch, 9 months ago

Robert Deutsch wrote:

Enrique

Bob

And I think you were right and I was wrong. This morning I put the GX7 on tripod, no IS, 2 seconds delay, both lenses at 24mm and f/4.0. Light conditions were not ideal, with low clouds passing rapidly and changing light. Still I think I can say that differences in the center are minimal, a bit bigger in the edges. This afternoon sky was finally clear, but I was out and it was very windy, so I didn't dare to change lenses. I used the 12-32 on the GM1 and the 12-35 on the GX7, both at 24mm and f/4.0. So we are comparing both, cameras and lenses, sorry about that. Even with too many variables, I think it is clear that differences between these two lenses are not at all as big as I thought.

Enrique

12-32 on GM1, 100% center crop, JPEG OOC

12-35 on GX7, 100% center crop, JPEG OOC

Advent1sam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164
Like?

Enir4 wrote:

Robert Deutsch wrote:

Enrique

Bob

And I think you were right and I was wrong. This morning I put the GX7 on tripod, no IS, 2 seconds delay, both lenses at 24mm and f/4.0. Light conditions were not ideal, with low clouds passing rapidly and changing light. Still I think I can say that differences in the center are minimal, a bit bigger in the edges. This afternoon sky was finally clear, but I was out and it was very windy, so I didn't dare to change lenses. I used the 12-32 on the GM1 and the 12-35 on the GX7, both at 24mm and f/4.0. So we are comparing both, cameras and lenses, sorry about that. Even with too many variables, I think it is clear that differences between these two lenses are not at all as big as I thought.

Enrique

Hard to say at that angle

Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,043Gear list
Like?

They look very close--close enough that I could make either one look better than the other by minute adjustments of post-processing parameters (like the Clarity slider if opening the file in Camera Raw in Photoshop CS6).

The GM1/12-32 is about $800, whereas the 12-35 is $1200 by itself, so the 12-32 can be considered a bargain--and much easier to carry.  Still,  if you need f/2.8, there's no substitute for it.  (Well, the Olympus 12-40, but those two are close enough that the Panasonic's IS makes it preferable for those using Panasonic bodies.)

Bob

duartix
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,489Gear list
Like?

Enir4 wrote:

Robert Deutsch wrote:

(...) but in other respects, in good light,I expect the IQs to be comparable.
Bob

Even with too many variables, I think it is clear that differences between these two lenses are not at all as big as I thought.

Well, this is a real shock to me.

I know the 12-35 is weather sealed and has a 1(+)EV advantage, but everywhere else I can't see anything that justifies it's price.
Amazing performance for a kit lens!!!

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Marcello Zini
Contributing MemberPosts: 802Gear list
Like?

Enir4 wrote:

Robert Deutsch wrote:

Enrique

Bob

Enrique

They appear to have the same color rendition which is great. The thing that gets my attention is the different SP which may show, given the same light and the same frame, the different T stop as the bigger and wider aperture glass lets in more light.

Thanks for the test, I will buy the 12-32 when it becomes easily available

-- hide signature --

...slowly building my gallery at
http://picasaweb.google.com/marcellozini
Marcello

Marcello Zini's gear list:Marcello Zini's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Nikon Coolpix 2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +1 more
Enir4
Like?

Two more pictures from this afternoon, GM1 with the 12-32 and GX7 with the 12-35. OOC, no PP at all. Colors are more like the real thing in the photo shot with the 12-35 and GX7.

Enrique

GM1

GX7

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads