one serious and two not so questions

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Alvin R Jelen
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
one serious and two not so questions
7 months ago
  1. What is the difference between 4, 5, and 5+Digic processors?
  2. I'm taking pictures of running horses. What continuous fps is needed to see legs in different positions. For instance left side legs forward and then back. I have cameras that give me the choice of 3, 5, and 6.3 fps. Is 8 necessary? 3 seems to be synchronized with their gate.
  3. What is the minimum shutter speed necessary to freeze flying butterfly wings. I have 4,000 and 8,000 available. Is 4,000 fast enough?
  4. 2 and 3 above are to settle a friendly disagreement.Thanks in advance for any comments.

arj

Alvin R Jelen's gear list:Alvin R Jelen's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 350D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 28-105mm f/4.0-5.6 USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,476Gear list
Like?
Re: one serious and two not so questions
In reply to Alvin R Jelen, 7 months ago

Alvin R Jelen wrote:

1. What is the difference between 4, 5, and 5+Digic processors?

Canon Learning Center: DIGIC Processors Explained

There are several generations of DIGIC units, distinguished by a generational number. The Canon EOS 5D Mark II has a DIGIC 4 processor. The Canon EOS 7D uses dual DIGIC 4 processors (two separate processors, working in parallel), the brand new PowerShot G1 X has a DIGIC 5, and the flagship Canon EOS-1D X comes with dual DIGIC 5+processors, along with a separate DIGIC 4 processor that is dedicated exclusively to the new 100,000 pixel RGB metering system and subject recognition. The new EOS-1D X’s RGB metering system has the same processing power as many entire EOS bodies!

Now, let’s talk about speed. A DIGIC 5 processor is approximately six times faster than DIGIC 4. A DIGIC 5+ is approximately three times faster than DIGIC 5, and 17 times faster than DIGIC 4. In terms of image quality alone, this means the processor can perform more separate calculations, on a pixel-to-pixel basis, immediately after an image is recorded. This translates into more opportunities to evaluate each image and optimize its quality before it’s even written to the memory card.

If you want a feature by feature breakdown you can go the the Canon museum. For example :

The newly developed DIGIC 6 imaging processor, also included in the PowerShot SX280 HS, offers the following improvements over the DIGIC 5.

• Higher picture quality (higher resolution still images and improved noise reduction whether shooting still photos or movies, 60 fps frame rate for smoother, higher-quality movies)
  • Dynamic IS (Compensation for tilt distortion and distortion when shooting movies)
  • MP4 (MPEG-4) recording format in movie mode (full-HD movie frame rate: 60/30 fps)
  • Improved user-interface display screen (higher quality)

2. I'm taking pictures of running horses. What continuous fps is needed to see legs in different positions. For instance left side legs forward and then back. I have cameras that give me the choice of 3, 5, and 6.3 fps. Is 8 necessary? 3 seems to be synchronized with their gate.

Which gait? Canter, gallop, etc?

3. What is the minimum shutter speed necessary to freeze flying butterfly wings. I have 4,000 and 8,000 available. Is 4,000 fast enough?

Yes, 1/4000 is way more than enough.

2 and 3 above are to settle a friendly disagreement.Thanks in advance for any comments.

arj

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads