Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
Giorgimer
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Nikkor 28-70mm f2.8 Focusing issue
Dec 10, 2013

Dear friends,

I just bought a Nikon D800 DSLR with Lens Nikkor 28-70mm f2.8

Since the beginning I'm experiencing some AF issues. It's normally fast and accurate, but randomly (maybe one time each 10) it seems it can't stop, moving very quickly front and back focus point in a short range, maybe dozen times with no stop.

Did U experience anything similar? Should I carry it to assistance or can I fix it e.g. cleaning contacts?
Thanks for your attention

Best regards

Giorgio

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
point2
Contributing MemberPosts: 641
Like?
Re: Nikkor 28-70mm f2.8 Focusing issue
In reply to Giorgimer, Dec 12, 2013

I am using the AFS 28-70/2.8 on my D800 as well (previously on D700) and have not experienced the AF issues you mentioned.  It is definitely not normal, and I suggest you send it back to Nikon to take a look.

As it is a fairly old lens, I suspect the AFS motor might have developed some problems (this appears to be quite a common issue).  I had to change the motor in my lens a few years ago; but no problems after that.  Although of a previous generation, this lens is still capable of outstanding results on the D800.

Hope this helps.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zenist
Regular MemberPosts: 340
Like?
In reply to Giorgimer, Dec 12, 2013

was your 28-70 brand new or used when you bought it? did you test with the central focus point? how about clean the contact points on both the lens and the camera mount and try again? I have the 28-70 too and it works ok.

Giorgimer
Like?
In reply to point2, Dec 12, 2013

Thanks a lot!

G

Giorgimer
Like?
In reply to Zenist, Dec 12, 2013

It's brand new, I'm only using central AF point actually, I didn't clean it, I'll try, thanka and regards

G

Zvonko
Regular MemberPosts: 341Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zenist, Dec 12, 2013

seems to me that your lens us hunting. Every 10 or so??? Seems like you need to make more accurate workflow.

the lens won't magically capture every single photo without any problems.

Try harder.

Zvonko's gear list:Zvonko's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads