Gigs and small clubs photography

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
QuickSilver7
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Gigs and small clubs photography
7 months ago

Hi All

I have a friend that is very much into the rock / metal scene (so much so that he moved from the UK to Helsinki). He loves to take photos of the bands but is finding his Fuji finepix JZ500 quite limiting for the dark enviroments he is in and wants to move into the world of DSLR's. His budget is £500 absolute top, so what are his best options? Second hand K30 + Fast 50?

Thanks

in advance

FujiFilm FinePix JZ500 (FinePix JZ505) Pentax K-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Browntee
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: Gigs and small clubs photography
In reply to QuickSilver7, 7 months ago

Hello

If you are looking at used, i would recommend a pentax with the Sony cmos sensor (kx ,kr, k5, k30, k50, k500) these cameras have great high iso capabilities. I would also think about the k-01. I think it would work great in a dark indoor setting. As for lens... The 50 f1.8 and 35 f2.4 are great inexpensive autofocus lenses but if you were able to get a k30,k50,k500,k-01, the focus peaking setting would allow you to use manual focus lenses very effectively and you can pick up good manual lenses quite cheap. My 2 cents

TB

Browntee's gear list:Browntee's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,835Gear list
Like?

QuickSilver7 wrote:

Hi All

I have a friend that is very much into the rock / metal scene (so much so that he moved from the UK to Helsinki). He loves to take photos of the bands but is finding his Fuji finepix JZ500 quite limiting for the dark enviroments he is in and wants to move into the world of DSLR's. His budget is £500 absolute top, so what are his best options? Second hand K30 + Fast 50?

Thanks

in advance

I would go along with the K30, but having said that, a mint used K5II can be bought for £400 and a K5IIs for around £500.  Plenty of good 50mm f1.7 lenses around too ...  Take a look at some of the v good deals in the classifieds section on the UK P User forum ...

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-01 +11 more
david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 513
Like?
In reply to britcam, 7 months ago

QuickSilver7 wrote:

Hi All

Thanks

in advance

I would go along with the K30, but having said that, a mint used K5II can be bought for £400 and a K5IIs for around £500.  Plenty of good 50mm f1.7 lenses around too ...  Take a look at some of the v good deals in the classifieds section on the UK P User forum ...

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

Use what he has for a bit longer and save for a Fuji x100s, more money up front but I think better in long run.
--
david t
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tittermary/

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,460Gear list
Like?
In reply to britcam, 7 months ago

britcam wrote:

QuickSilver7 wrote:

Hi All

Thanks

in advance

I would go along with the K30, but having said that, a mint used K5II can be bought for £400 and a K5IIs for around £500. Plenty of good 50mm f1.7 lenses around too ... Take a look at some of the v good deals in the classifieds section on the UK P User forum ...

I agree, it's gotta be the K5ii. The K3 is too pricey. The others will be a pain focusing in low light. Since he's upgrading, it's better to wait a little and get something that really works. I'd try to get it with the new nifty-fifty (50/1.8) for AF.

The ultra-quiet shutter and ability to use the camera with the display turned off are nice features not to disturb the performance.

One of the frequent posters here, Dominique Schreckling (tcom), sometimes uses the K5ii rather than his Nikon D4 for the reason stated above.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Mike Hiran
Contributing MemberPosts: 822Gear list
Like?

My experience shooting concerts has been that a zoom has been more capable since if it's crowded, you don't know what kind of distance to the artist you'll be dealing with. One concert I found my most useful lens was the 55-300! Terribly slow aperture, but I knew the Kx could handle high ISO so I went with it. I shot in manual, made sure my shutter speed would be high enough to freeze action, chimped a lot and it worked ok:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55038128@N00/sets/72157624566296278/

Now would my 70-200 f2.8 been sharper? Well yeah, but my arms would have been insanely tired and I'm sure I would have poked someone in the head with that lens.  Besides, with the budget we're talking about, this is a non starter.

So... to the heart of your question. I think lenses are key - with that budget, there are some choices that could make his $$ go further. If he can deal with MF lenses (which does take some practice in low light environs, but I've shot in dark dark rooms MF just fine), then a 50 1.7 (m, a, or f series, even a m42 would be ok), 100 f2.8 would cost maybe $130. Then I'd get the 55-300, probably the DAL series for around $130 used. So that leaves $240 for the body - probably the kx or kr.

If he gets a k30 for say $400 or $330 used, he can get 1 lens. I just think that would be too limiting, especially if it's a prime. Yes he could get great shots, but his positioning in a crowded mosh pit will be difficult. I think the k30 would focus way better than the kx or kr by the way. So if he goes the kx kr route, MF may be needed at times - I know that's what I had to do w/ some of the shots in the set I linked to above.

One thing I've been having trouble with lately is getting my gear in the venue. So now I'm bringing my Q w/ the 02 zoom and 06 zoom - it focuses pretty well, but I'm limited to iso 1600 at best and the colors aren't as good. But this would be under $500...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55038128@N00/sets/72157633939625535/

That's a tight budget and some serious compromises will have to be made...

Mike Hiran's gear list:Mike Hiran's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +22 more
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,135Gear list
Like?

If it were me id be buying the new oly stylus 1 .

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

klimbkat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259Gear list
Like?
In reply to Browntee, 7 months ago

Browntee wrote:

Hello

If you are looking at used, i would recommend a pentax with the Sony cmos sensor (kx ,kr, k5, k30, k50, k500) these cameras have great high iso capabilities. I would also think about the k-01. I think it would work great in a dark indoor setting. As for lens... The 50 f1.8 and 35 f2.4 are great inexpensive autofocus lenses but if you were able to get a k30,k50,k500,k-01, the focus peaking setting would allow you to use manual focus lenses very effectively and you can pick up good manual lenses quite cheap. My 2 cents

TB

Agree with most of this, though the K-01 requires shooting with screen which can sometimes be awkward in clubs & shows (and the modern DSLRs have that option if you wish/can) - a viewfinder is the way to go IMHO.  The priority is a good high ISO chipped camera from the list - a good deal on any of them used is the way to go in order to leave some room for a lens within a $500 budget.  Clubs can be really dark, so good high ISO is key.

Soul Cookin' - Lloyd Jones & Carlton Jackson

. . . in fairness, the K5IIs and DA* 50-135 2.8 is out of budget . . .

david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 513
Like?

QuickSilver7 wrote:

Hi All

Thanks

in advance

had to wait till i got to my laptop for the link:), tell your friend to go here and see what this guys doing, nice setuo and crazy good shooting. This is why I suggest the x100s

http://chrishendersonimages.co.uk/wp/2012/06/14/review-fujifilm-x100-nightlife/

-- hide signature --
MBT74
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
In reply to david tittermary, 7 months ago

K30 works great for live gigs. Grab one 2nd hand and then look at the 35mm and 50mm primes. Set the camera to TAv mode.

infoomatic
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
In reply to klimbkat, 7 months ago

I recommend a K-30 or K5-II (optical viewfinder!) with a 50mm f/1.4 or 1.7 ... imho fast changing light conditions are difficult to work with electronic viewfinder or displays like the k01. and maybe an external flash for bounced light for portraits

infoomatic's gear list:infoomatic's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +5 more
fakuryu
Contributing MemberPosts: 932Gear list
Like?
A Pentax Kr - DA 16-45 f4 - Yongnuo flash with diffuser

http://partyzone.ph/partyzoned-at-prime-upscale-club-november-29-2013-part-1/

Not my pics but a friend of mine who covers these types of events every Wednesday and Friday. Went with him once when he wanted to try my K5II for this type of shooting. He said that the K5II locks focus way faster than his Kr and his K30. He also mentioned that the Kr focuses more accurately than his K30.

So if your friend can, a K5II + DA 16-45 f4

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
QuickSilver7
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Re: A Pentax Kr - DA 16-45 f4 - Yongnuo flash with diffuser
In reply to fakuryu, 7 months ago

Thanks all for your input, some nice photos in those links and lots of options. As ever I'm sure it will come boil down to budget.

Voikkari
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046Gear list
Like?
In reply to infoomatic, 7 months ago

I agree. They seem to be good choices and fas 50mm is a must!

This was taken years ago with my *IstD.

Eve Monsees in Rauma Blues...

-- hide signature --

K5 / K20 / K10D/*IstD
MZ5n/Z70/SF7/MESuper/MX/Spotmatic F
Pentax since Spotmatic F

Voikkari's gear list:Voikkari's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads