Is anybody using this? LightZoneproject.org

Started 9 months ago | Questions
igaleian
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?
Is anybody using this? LightZoneproject.org
9 months ago

?Is anybody using this?

look at LightZone an open source alternative to LightRoom http://www.lightzoneproject.org

igaleian's gear list:igaleian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
tree11b
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?
Re: Is anybody using this? LightZoneproject.org
In reply to igaleian, 9 months ago

I don't  use it. In fact, never heard of it before your post. What does it do? Unfortunately the web site does not give much information.

-- hide signature --

Jim

tree11b's gear list:tree11b's gear list
Canon PowerShot A530 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 FastStone Image Viewer
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
igaleian
Like?
In reply to tree11b, 9 months ago

similar to lightroom

Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,299
Like?

Lightzone keeps crashing on my system.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,195Gear list
Like?
Hi, Gary
In reply to Gary Waugh, 9 months ago

Have you contacted us about this?  Did we miss responding?  If so, I'm very sorry  We'd very much like to help.  we'd need details of your system, & etc.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
tex
tex
Like?
Weeeelll, yes and no

Lightroom (LR) is better in these ways that stand out:

• Far more robust DAM. For an all-purpose program LR has few peers.
  • because it's Adobe, there's far more support in every way, including a huge user community, lots of books, Adobe itself, & etc.
  • LR is not some squirrely, utopian, open source project run by a bunch of volunteers who have day jobs, for those of you who hate that sort of thing and prefer to be with a solid, well funded and established corporation that does business the old fashioned way: by making money.
  • LR is quicker to update raw profiles.
  • LR has better color correction tools for precise correction (using Color Checker Passport) for repro, product photography. It is great for this.
  • LR is perhaps easier to use for selective editing of small details through its brush protocols
  • LR accepts plug-ins and external editors (including LightZone)
  • LR is more like other programs and vice versa, so it's familiar
  • Right now, LR appears to have pulled ahead of LIghtZone in highlight recovery. We'll be working on that!
  • LR has lens corrections and LightZone does not---yet! We are working on that now.
  • and more

LightZone (LZ) is better in these ways:

• It's free.
  • It's not Adobe, for all you Adobe-haters out there, or those of you who no longer trust them.
  • It's open source, for those of you who like that.  We are a community, corny as that sounds---but it's true.
  • LZ is different---for those of you who find the standard sort of software operations and UI grating.
  • As above, it is pretty intuitive (which is why there aren't tons of books & etc on it.  Although we have created more than 3 hours of tutorial videos ourselves, and there are probably another 2 hours on YouTube created by others.
  • It's easier to jump right into editing an image with LZ, because you don't have libraries and catalogs to deal with--just the files you already have on your computer.
  • LZ has unique contrast control tools that can do wonders---close to single image HDR
  • LZ does great selective editing throughout the editing process, and its tools for this feel a bit like darkroom dogging and burning.  Effects can be more natural more easily.
  • LZ is great for B&W conversions.
  • LZ has a unique way to schedule/use tools in whatever order you want---and then to rearrange them if you wish
  • LZ's tool all have individual blending modes and 2 tool tabs, which exponentially amplify each tool's power to selectively edit only portions of your image, including just a range of tonalities or colors you select.
  • LZ's tools can be turned on and off at will, making it easy to do both color and B+W versions of an image simultaneously(in the editing session)
  • LZ allows for lots of easy DIY---including your own raw profiles.
  • and more

And you can always use it with LR

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
tex
tex
Like?
mmmm, There's a fair amount of info on the website.../nt
In reply to tree11b, 9 months ago
-- hide signature --

bolador
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
Re: mmmm, There's a fair amount of info on the website.../nt
In reply to tex, 9 months ago

I've used with MI FZ100. Then its development was stoped so I migrated to LR.
it has come from the death as lighzombie project and now it has become opensource...

It is a great piece of software with a really good workflow.. and good presets.
But is very hardware consuming.. you need a very powerful CPU not to suffer some lags specially if you use some noise reduction filter (imagine this with the FZ100)...
and was 32bit only.
Last time I checked it it didn't support FZ200 raw files so I leaved it for god..

I miss it's way of segmenting (masking) the image to apply filters by colour or brightness ...

bolador's gear list:bolador's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D90
igaleian
Like?
Re: Weeeelll, yes and no
In reply to tex, 9 months ago

many thanks for the detailed reply.

Ian