Need help to fix the damage.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Ricky85
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Need help to fix the damage.
10 months ago

I broke the front coupler ring of my tamron 17-50 but the glass is safe. Now I've to use UV filter always with this lens which is weird to me.

Any good solutions for this?

Thanks - Ricky

Ricky85's gear list:Ricky85's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II
stephang
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?
Re: Need help to fix the damage.
In reply to Ricky85, 10 months ago

You're now using the filter to hold the broken ring in place?

I don't have that lens and don't know how easily it vignettes with filters, and maybe I'm stating the obvious too, but: How about getting the cheapest slim filter you can find and punching out the glas, thus creating a non-filter performing the same task?

Just a thought...

StephanG

stephang's gear list:stephang's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,160Gear list
Like?

Ricky85 wrote:

I broke the front coupler ring of my tamron 17-50 but the glass is safe. Now I've to use UV filter always with this lens which is weird to me.

Well, for money Tamron would probably fix it. They're pretty quick on turnaround.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
MPrince
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045
Like?
In reply to stephang, 10 months ago

stephang wrote:

You're now using the filter to hold the broken ring in place?

I don't have that lens and don't know how easily it vignettes with filters, and maybe I'm stating the obvious too, but: How about getting the cheapest slim filter you can find and punching out the glas, thus creating a non-filter performing the same task?

Just a thought...

StephanG

Or just use a step-up ring.

Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?

Use a good UV filter. I use one with my Tamron 17-50mm without issues.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,699
Like?

Ricky85 wrote:

Thanks - Ricky

The lasting solution would be from Tamron, either a replacement ring or a repair. It doesn't appear to be a major fix, they might be able to provide a quote without sending the lens to them, or the replacement part number & price.

Cheers,
Doug

Ricky85
Like?
In reply to Doug J, 10 months ago

Doug J wrote:

Ricky85 wrote:

Thanks - Ricky

The lasting solution would be from Tamron, either a replacement ring or a repair. It doesn't appear to be a major fix, they might be able to provide a quote without sending the lens to them, or the replacement part number & price.

Cheers,
Doug

The nearest Tamron service center is 160-miles away. I tried to contact them by phone today but I was late and the office was about to close. I'll try them tomorrow.

Thanks

Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II
Ricky85
Like?
Getting the ring very soon!

I had a talk with tamron, the total cost of new ring is $10 which I paid them through bank-wire. Now they will shipping the ring to my address at no extra charge.

Thanks

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,699
Like?
Re: Getting the ring very soon!

Ricky85 wrote:

I had a talk with tamron, the total cost of new ring is $10 which I paid them through bank-wire. Now they will shipping the ring to my address at no extra charge.

Thanks

Well done, good luck replacing the ring

Cheers,
Doug

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads