Canon Lens/Camera/flash

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
GPasswaters
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Canon Lens/Camera/flash
8 months ago

I'm trying to figure out what is going to be the best lens, camera, and flash to purchase.  I currently own a Canon 60D with 17-55 2.8 IS USM, 50mm 1.4, and 55-250 IS.  I have been doing mostly senior portraits, engagements, and baby/pregnancy pics.  I have started doing some wedding photos and I'm finding I'm having some issues with low lighting.  Now since I need to get a second camera body anyway I'm trying to figure out what is best.  My options that I have looked at are getting the canon 7D with a with a 430ex ii flash and just using the lenses that I have.  Next would be the 7D with the tamron 17-50 2.8 vc and no flash.  Last option I've considered is just getting another 60D and 2 430ex ii flashes and continue with the lenses I have

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,250Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon Lens/Camera/flash
In reply to GPasswaters, 8 months ago

Why would you get the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 when you already have the Canon 17-55 f2.8? Your best bet might be to get a 600EX flash and a 430EX flash, with a good modifier/reflector or two. You could use a single flash when shooting weddings and add the second flash when setting up in more of studio situation.

BUT, if you're shooting seriously you should really consider buying a second body for backup.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,612Gear list
Like?

GPasswaters wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what is going to be the best lens, camera, and flash to purchase. I currently own a Canon 60D with 17-55 2.8 IS USM, 50mm 1.4, and 55-250 IS. I have been doing mostly senior portraits, engagements, and baby/pregnancy pics. I have started doing some wedding photos and I'm finding I'm having some issues with low lighting. Now since I need to get a second camera body anyway I'm trying to figure out what is best. My options that I have looked at are getting the canon 7D with a with a 430ex ii flash and just using the lenses that I have. Next would be the 7D with the tamron 17-50 2.8 vc and no flash. Last option I've considered is just getting another 60D and 2 430ex ii flashes and continue with the lenses I have

Avoid the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC it uses Tamron's old focus motor, it hunts in low light. The Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS HSM is a better choice.

The 7D isn't going to give you significantly better low light capabilities than your 60D. It has a different control layout than your 60D. Both control layouts work equally well, but, switching back and forth between the two is awkward, and not something you want to have to think about while photographing a once in a lifetime event like a wedding.

The 60D, 70D, and 6D all share a similar control layout.

I would either get another 60D they are very in expensive now, a 70D which will give you about one more usable stop than the 60D, or ideally a 6D which will give you much better image quality, and low light capability.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
GPasswaters
Like?
In reply to Jeff Peterman, 8 months ago

Jeff Peterman wrote:

Why would you get the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 when you already have the Canon 17-55 f2.8? Your best bet might be to get a 600EX flash and a 430EX flash, with a good modifier/reflector or two. You could use a single flash when shooting weddings and add the second flash when setting up in more of studio situation.

BUT, if you're shooting seriously you should really consider buying a second body for backup.

-- hide signature --

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Would the performance I get out of the 7D be worth the extra $400.  The reason I ask is because my father in law(best f-i-l ever) gave me the money to buy a new camera.  Originally I planned on getting the 6D but he didnt give me enough for that-not complaining though. But I have enough to either get the 7D with the 430ex II flash or the 60D with a 600ex-rt and 430 ex II flashes.  I dont want to be short sighted and get the 60D if the 7D is going to be way better just because I would be able to get an extra flash now.

GPasswaters
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, 8 months ago

TTMartin wrote:

GPasswaters wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what is going to be the best lens, camera, and flash to purchase. I currently own a Canon 60D with 17-55 2.8 IS USM, 50mm 1.4, and 55-250 IS. I have been doing mostly senior portraits, engagements, and baby/pregnancy pics. I have started doing some wedding photos and I'm finding I'm having some issues with low lighting. Now since I need to get a second camera body anyway I'm trying to figure out what is best. My options that I have looked at are getting the canon 7D with a with a 430ex ii flash and just using the lenses that I have. Next would be the 7D with the tamron 17-50 2.8 vc and no flash. Last option I've considered is just getting another 60D and 2 430ex ii flashes and continue with the lenses I have

Avoid the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC it uses Tamron's old focus motor, it hunts in low light. The Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS HSM is a better choice.

The 7D isn't going to give you significantly better low light capabilities than your 60D. It has a different control layout than your 60D. Both control layouts work equally well, but, switching back and forth between the two is awkward, and not something you want to have to think about while photographing a once in a lifetime event like a wedding.

I would either get another 60D they are very in expensive now, a 70D which will give you about one more usable stop than the 60D, or ideally a 6D which will give you much better image quality, and low light capability.

thanks, I just wrote a different response/question to another reply asking all the questions you just answered lol.

TTMartin
Like?

GPasswaters wrote:

TTMartin wrote:

GPasswaters wrote:

thanks, I just wrote a different response/question to another reply asking all the questions you just answered lol.

Personally I would skip the 600EX/RT flash and get 3 430EX flashes instead of one of each.

Especially at receptions, you can set up a couple flashes on stands to bounce off the ceiling and trigger them remotely, for more even lighting.

Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Jeff Peterman
Like?

The advantage of the 7D is that it is more rugged and it is very good at focusing/tracking moving subjects. But from what you've said about your shooting, neither one of those matters to you. Why pay for features that won't matter? But consider the 70D if you can - it is better for your type of shooting than either of those other bodies, but not as good as a 6D.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
GPasswaters
Like?

Ok so I should probably lean more towards the 70D because, correct me if I'm wrong, my 17-55 will not work with the 6D because it is a full frame camera and that lens is from the ef-s line.

TTMartin
Like?

GPasswaters wrote:

Ok so I should probably lean more towards the 70D because, correct me if I'm wrong, my 17-55 will not work with the 6D because it is a full frame camera and that lens is from the ef-s line.

That is correct.

The 70D is a great camera, and a big step up from the 60D.

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,997
Like?
double check commander mode.

You'll need a camera body that will send commander flash signals to a 430EX flash.

Make sure the camera is capable.

BAK

Jeff Peterman
Like?
Re: double check commander mode.
In reply to BAK, 8 months ago

True if you want the camera flash to trigger off-camera flash modules. Can the 430EX act as a master unit? If not, the this becomes critical unless a 580EX or 600EX are bought for on-camera use.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

TTMartin
Like?
Re: double check commander mode.

Jeff Peterman wrote:

True if you want the camera flash to trigger off-camera flash modules. Can the 430EX act as a master unit? If not, the this becomes critical unless a 580EX or 600EX are bought for on-camera use.

The 430EX can not act as a master flash, but, the built in flash on the 60D and 70D can.

MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,496Gear list
Like?
You need better flash

Your 60D is perfectly capable, and so are your lenses. But you have no lighting.

I own the 430 EX II flash. It is excellent, but not great. The main deficiency is that it is not as powerful as the 580 or 600. The reason power matters is because, if you do event photography, you will most likely use one flash, on camera, with a diffuser and bounce. This causes the flash to output about 4x more light than a direct-forward flash. While this is no problem for the 430, what happens next is: Recycle time gets very long on the 430, and overheating can occur. The recycling can be a big problem if you're trying to take many consecutive photos. For this reason, your "event" flash should be the 600EX.

For portrait photography, the situation is different: The standard is to use two or three flashes to professionally light a portrait. Of course, these flashes are off-camera: one to the left, one to the right, and one behind the subject. A nice thing about the Canon Speedlight system is that your built-in flash can control the three off-camera flashes. This "optical slave" system works pretty well, but if you don't position the flashes correctly, they may not see the trigger light. It also fires a dim flash from the camera, which you might not want (reflections, etc) But I use this method and it gets the job done. People who haven't used it don't understand how great it is: You can adjust the light output of each flash independently (or in groups) from the camera's menu. This is especially good if you've got the strobes inside a softbox or on an umbrella.

An even better thing is that the 600EX can be controlled via radio instead of light, but this gets expensive: $500 per flash, and $325 for the radio transmitter you attach to the camera. I'm hoping that, soon, Canon adds the radio feature to lower end Speedlights (for the 2nd and 3rd flashes) and build the radio transmitter into a new camera body.

So I'd suggest that you begin with a 600EX-RT and a diffuser, and buy Syl Arena's Speedlighter's Handbook (better yet, take his seminar when he's in town).

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Wm. L.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,145Gear list
Like?
Re: You need better flash
In reply to MarshallG, 8 months ago

MarshallG wrote:

Your 60D is perfectly capable, and so are your lenses. But you have no lighting.

I own the 430 EX II flash. It is excellent, but not great. The main deficiency is that it is not as powerful as the 580 or 600. The reason power matters is because, if you do event photography, you will most likely use one flash, on camera, with a diffuser and bounce. This causes the flash to output about 4x more light than a direct-forward flash. While this is no problem for the 430, what happens next is: Recycle time gets very long on the 430, and overheating can occur. The recycling can be a big problem if you're trying to take many consecutive photos. For this reason, your "event" flash should be the 600EX.

For portrait photography, the situation is different: The standard is to use two or three flashes to professionally light a portrait. Of course, these flashes are off-camera: one to the left, one to the right, and one behind the subject. A nice thing about the Canon Speedlight system is that your built-in flash can control the three off-camera flashes. This "optical slave" system works pretty well, but if you don't position the flashes correctly, they may not see the trigger light. It also fires a dim flash from the camera, which you might not want (reflections, etc) But I use this method and it gets the job done. People who haven't used it don't understand how great it is: You can adjust the light output of each flash independently (or in groups) from the camera's menu. This is especially good if you've got the strobes inside a softbox or on an umbrella.

An even better thing is that the 600EX can be controlled via radio instead of light, but this gets expensive: $500 per flash, and $325 for the radio transmitter you attach to the camera. I'm hoping that, soon, Canon adds the radio feature to lower end Speedlights (for the 2nd and 3rd flashes) and build the radio transmitter into a new camera body.

So I'd suggest that you begin with a 600EX-RT and a diffuser, and buy Syl Arena's Speedlighter's Handbook (better yet, take his seminar when he's in town).

What he said. I have 430 and 580 flash units. Photography is capturing light. Bigger flash is more light which is the answer to problems fairly often.

FYI: My 430 and 580 are both great but the 580 power can show up in ways one might not expect - superior bounce flash performance.

Wm. L.'s gear list:Wm. L.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads