Df instead of my D800E??

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
profus
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Df instead of my D800E??
9 months ago

Am I crazy? Well, I might be, but honestly I am thinking about it...

1.  found out that I don't really need those huge 36Mpx. processing those huge files can also be somewhat slow if I have several programs opened on my imac ( which I normally do )

2.  I exclusively  use primes ( both old manual AiS and the new Af-G ones )

3.  hmm...for some reason I actually never learned to love d800e as I loved my d700 and felt comfortable with it. it is probably me and not the camera, but...

4. normally shoot portraits ( both in studio and available light ones outside ), street and my kids in all situations. also landscape but not that much

5. do not print ultra huge

6.  a few steps in ISO are welcomed

7.  Df is smaller - I might have it more often with me then I have my D800e?

8. really like the looks of Df

Any thoughts to help me decide? Someone who has both to compare ( and yes I am sort of aware they different cameras for different purposes  )

Tnx / Alex

Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,808Gear list
Like?
Re: Df instead of my D800E??
In reply to profus, 9 months ago

If you have a tool that doesn't fit your needs, I think it would be OK to switch to another tool. However, given the financial considerations of switching expensive tools, you might consider renting a Df so you can try both cameras together and compare them. That will help make your final decision.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
khaledgawdat
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?

As with computers we can buy the highest specs without really needing them. I have the D4 and the d800. I use the d4 in 90% of the time low light or outdoor day time. I never felt the difference with the 36 mpx. I have ordered the Df and for what you do the df makes perfect sense.
K.Gawdat

khaledgawdat's gear list:khaledgawdat's gear list
Sony RX1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon D800 Pentax 645D +52 more
rawrawraw
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

Just traded in d700 for DF and I love it. Made the decision to choose the DF's ISO capability over large MPs and have no regrets. And I got a camera with no video. WHOOPIE.

user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,731Gear list
Like?

#1 I find I no longer use the machine gun approach of my D2H days and spend more time composing.  Yes, it is a little slow, but eventually you will replace your Mac with something faster and the larger files will become less and less of a factor.

#2 The D800 can use those same lenses and focus just like the Df (manually or automatically).  So it is a wash on #2.

#4 would seem to favor the D800 for IQ.  The Df is a little smaller and lighter, but it not like comparing a brick to a pebble.  Played with the Df and my D800 at the store and I left wishing the Df was smaller than it was to help make my decision.

#6 is true, but I would miss the on-board flash.  I use it for those occasions that carrying an external flash is too much of a PITA and even though the Df is a low light brute it can't perform miracles in the dark.

#7 Maybe.  Clearly the newness will do that.

I was considering the Df as a secondcamera to my D800 and sell my D700 to help finance about half of it.  The D700 is a good camera, but the D800 is better, lighter, more dynamic range, and better low light performance than the D700.  Hell, maybe I should sell my D700 ad buy your D800e.

I use the D800 for personal and business use and I find the IQ excellent and for my business use I often find cropping an advantage that I would not get from the D700.

Your mileage may vary, but there is always a very strong urge in life to buy the latest - greatest thing on the block and I am starting to feel that urge may be the most significant thing the Df has to offer for me.  The Df really doesn't hit all my other buttons as well as I would like.  Just make sure that you are not dropping one bone for something that looks better, but may not be everything you had hoped.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Leica M8
Zenist
Regular MemberPosts: 340
Like?

Well. perhaps the DF would suit you better. Sell your D800E and get the DF? Why not? but my concern with the DF is the grip. I'd prefer a DSLR type grip myself. I dig the look the DF too.

Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 736
Like?

sounds like a bit of rationalizing going on here. don't feel bad, i've been doing a bit myself.

the Df is a nice piece of work. i thought enough of it to go to the store and handle on this past weekend. i definitely wouldn't mind having one.

but when i think about what i have -- a D800 -- and what the Df brings to the table, it seems to me that it's a smaller, more stylish body with that supposedly "flagship" sensor. other performance specs are definitely modest, while the price is not.

i could go out today and buy the kit, but i won't. after the D800, i've come to accept that if i can't succeed with what i've got, this hot newcomer isn't going to push me forward. a flashy new toy isn't something that will drive my technique or creativity to another level.

sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,332Gear list
Like?
Sounds to me you have if figured out

Df is a fine camera, based on what you wrote, would be great for you.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
WarrenInOntario
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?

Hey Alex you are probably looking at a grand to make the switch. After you have handled the Df only you can decide if it's worth the difference.

It cost me way more to move from a D300 recently to the Df as I gave the D300 to my son. So far absolutely no regrets. Yes I did seriously miss the weight/handling/balance of the former body for a while but it is so much fun pushing the limits of the Df that it is soon forgotten.

Both great cameras that you have in play and you do provide a convincing list of reasons to consider the switch if it's affordable.

Warren

-- hide signature --
 WarrenInOntario's gear list:WarrenInOntario's gear list
Nikon Df
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191
Like?

Let me translate this.

profus wrote:

I'm looking for assistance in convincing myslef to move forward with another impulse buy.

1. found out that I don't really need those huge 36Mpx. processing those huge files can also be somewhat slow if I have several programs opened on my imac ( which I normally do )

Oh dear, last time I went on a bender I really went crazy. I mean the d800 is great and all but it would cost me $400 to upgrade my computer and well, that's $400 less I could be spending on a newer hotter camera.

2. I exclusively use primes ( both old manual AiS and the new Af-G ones )

I was told primes are good. After blowing my wad on a d800 I only had enough left over for cheap lenses that don't show what my camera can do which is win-win because I don't really know what I'm doing and don't want to feel like I"m the weak link.

3. hmm...for some reason I actually never learned to love d800e as I loved my d700 and felt comfortable with it. it is probably me and not the camera, but...

I can't figure out what the big deal is with the d800. I mean I don't see any increase in resolution and the files are huge!

4. normally shoot portraits ( both in studio and available light ones outside ), street and my kids in all situations. also landscape but not that much

By studio I mean living room, and street shooting means snapshots, pretty cool, eh?

Picasa is awesome.

6. a few steps in ISO are welcomed

wtf this thing goes to 11 (thousand?!)

7. Df is smaller - I might have it more often with me then I have my D800e?

Let's see, the df is 143.5x110x66.5 mm while the d800 is146x123x81.5 mm. That's like a whole half inch smaller in one dimension. That frees up enough space in my bag for one diaper or a pack of gum. Which is awesome. The lame part is I'll need to use the same bag but whatever, it's like a whole half pound lighter.

I really like the look of the df

Any thoughts to help me decide? Someone who has both to compare ( and yes I am sort of aware they different cameras for different purposes )

Tnx / Alex

Go for it!

TDong
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780
Like?

i sold my d800 and got the df.  the df grip is quite small and take time to get use to other than that all the functions are similar.  The df feels solid.  you can feel all the metal vs d800 outside plastic.

if i have only one camera i still think the d800 is the camera i want to keep.

profus
Like?

Tnx guys to all of you for some great inputs.

I guess I'll try to rent it to see how it feels compared to D800

profus
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, 9 months ago

Let me translate this.

I am trying to be clever & funny

But I am not. None of it

Toccata47 wrote:

Let me translate this.

profus wrote:

I'm looking for assistance in convincing myslef to move forward with another impulse buy.

1. found out that I don't really need those huge 36Mpx. processing those huge files can also be somewhat slow if I have several programs opened on my imac ( which I normally do )

Oh dear, last time I went on a bender I really went crazy. I mean the d800 is great and all but it would cost me $400 to upgrade my computer and well, that's $400 less I could be spending on a newer hotter camera.

2. I exclusively use primes ( both old manual AiS and the new Af-G ones )

I was told primes are good. After blowing my wad on a d800 I only had enough left over for cheap lenses that don't show what my camera can do which is win-win because I don't really know what I'm doing and don't want to feel like I"m the weak link.

3. hmm...for some reason I actually never learned to love d800e as I loved my d700 and felt comfortable with it. it is probably me and not the camera, but...

I can't figure out what the big deal is with the d800. I mean I don't see any increase in resolution and the files are huge!

By studio I mean living room, and street shooting means snapshots, pretty cool, eh?

Picasa is awesome.

6. a few steps in ISO are welcomed

wtf this thing goes to 11 (thousand?!)

7. Df is smaller - I might have it more often with me then I have my D800e?

Let's see, the df is 143.5x110x66.5 mm while the d800 is146x123x81.5 mm. That's like a whole half inch smaller in one dimension. That frees up enough space in my bag for one diaper or a pack of gum. Which is awesome. The lame part is I'll need to use the same bag but whatever, it's like a whole half pound lighter.

I really like the look of the df

Any thoughts to help me decide? Someone who has both to compare ( and yes I am sort of aware they different cameras for different purposes )

Tnx / Alex

Go for it!

laddsmith
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?

Your original comments are imo the best of the myriad questions on this, and also point out how smart Nikon was in bringing out the DF.  I completely agree with your comments D700 vs D800E.  Maybe I just shot more with the D700-but somehow I loved the camera, gave it to my wife, and she won't return it-my legal advice is that is really not grounds for divorce.  Anyway another huge benefit of the DF is it is a much "less threatening" looking camera for taking shots of people, street pics, family, etc.  I occaisionally shoot with a Fuji X100-people want to see the camera, look at the image, always ask if it is a film camera, etc.  Taking a picture of someone with the D800E and my 28-70 (Beast) lens certainly in their mind is not a snapshot.

With your considerations, I would rent as others have suggested, but I am betting you go for the DF.  I print large images, and am hoping to bond more with the D800E like I did with the D700.

-- hide signature --

Ladd Smith

larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,322Gear list
Like?

I agree rent one and see how it works for you.  I think your reasoning for buying the df is good.  Believe me the d4 sensor is a winner and will do everything a d800 will except printing wall size prints.

Larry

Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,491Gear list
Like?
Hahahahahaha I will not become an accomplice. you decided

regards

-- hide signature --

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate." (House)

Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,713Gear list
Like?

I bought D800 the moment it came out.   For many of the same considerations that you have I sold it in couple of months use.    Shooting with D600 now.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
tektrader
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?

Yeah, You all think 16 Mpix's is enough.......... Till you start to print big..........

I have been trying to print some of my D7000 files large the last few weeks. Waste of time... The difference compared to the D800 files is HUGE....... Its not a sensor quality issue, its a Pixel size issue.

Plus the DF grip is pretty lousey. My fingers are all scrunched up trying to hold it. You can pry my D800 from my cold dead hands..

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,641Gear list
Like?

The Df actually makes a good companion to the D800 because it does a good job of filling in the gaps.  The only reason why I would favor the Df over the D800 is if I took a lot of images in low light with high ISO.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +51 more
seahawk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,966
Like?

DF is the best Nikon DSLR you can buy. Just the look and feel set it apart from the rest. The only other option is the sony A7R which takes you inot the future technology of mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

hobby aviation photographer

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads