G16 Flash 270EX or Sunpak RD2000 or ?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Joe5
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
G16 Flash 270EX or Sunpak RD2000 or ?
7 months ago

I'm thinking of getting a hot shoe flash for the G16 which would also be nice to carry with the 7D.

The Canon 270EX ii was the one shown to me in a store when I bought the G16.

I've used Sunpaks on film cameras in the past and saw the RD2000 in a search.

Both appear to be capable of bounce flash, the Sunpak is more compact but sits closer to the lens when firing head on.

Any opinion on these 2 units or another one to consider.

Thanks,

Joe

Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G16
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Joe5
Like?
Does anyone use an external flash with G15/G16?
In reply to Joe5, 7 months ago

If you do, which one?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
willsmother
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
I have the Canon 270

for my G15 and it works fine

deploylinux
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
Re: G16 Flash 270EX or Sunpak RD2000 or ?

The builtin flash for the G15 was actually quit good speed/quality wise, but it didn't refresh fast enough or send light far enough for rapid photography of important live events. The battery would run out relatively rapidly and one would end up having to wait several seconds between shots after the initial charge buffer of the flash was exhausted.

The 270 solves some of these problems, but has a number of limitations and relatively poor performance for a speedlite - better speedlites are not that expensive. The only reason to get the 270 is for form/size or if you 100% focused on cost.

I'd suggest the 320EX - simply because it is the next step up, is the smallest speedlite bigger than the 270 with a relative full feature set/performance. It does also have an additional constant on led light for video, which might be a mild complement to the video capabilities of the G16.

If you really are sharing speedlites across multiple cameras and want to eventually have a professional set, than the 430EX2 would be the way to go - I just find it too big for the G15. The 320EX is slightly smaller and a little less heavy and thats already pushing the limit of an acceptable weight/size to put on the small G15/G16 form factor.

The real reason to get the 320EX for G15/G16 is due to the noise profile of these cameras - the additional light allows one to keep iso < 320 in most indoor shots while also maintaining a good enough shutter speed for non sports events. Image quality degrades rapidly for the G15/G16 at higher iso's. On the other hand, you have to spend a little more time in post processing handling white balance and light gradient density due to the greater power of your second source of light. You might need to fiddle around for awhile to learn how to tune down the power of the 320EX to exactly what is required.

Joe5
Like?
In reply to deploylinux, 7 months ago

I have the 580EX that I use with my 7D, therefore I am looking for something the size of the 270 EX or smaller. Unless I am going to take a lot of indoor photos, I rarely take the 580 as it adds a lot of weight. I would be inclined to carry a smaller flash. The 580 is too large to use with a G15/16.

Thanks for the responses,

Joe

Geoshale
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?

I have the Quantaray version of the Sunpak. Picked it up for $30 when Ritz Cameras was closing a local store a few years back and it has been used on my 40D. I just picked up a G15, but I haven't used the flash yet. I will be going to a Holiday Party later this week with the flash & the G15. I'll post some pics afterwards...

Tried to post some pics from last years party, but I couldn't figure how to shots in Picasa to view.

Bill in S.G.

Geoshale's gear list:Geoshale's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Geoshale
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
In reply to Geoshale, 7 months ago

Okay, now that I have I figured out how to post pics from Picasa, here are some Sunpak/Quantaray flash pics taken with my 40D.

Bill

(I'm not a photographer, just a picture taker!)

Geoshale's gear list:Geoshale's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Joe5
Like?
In reply to Geoshale, 7 months ago

Lighting looks good for a little flash.

Thanks!

Joe

fenlander
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?

Yes, these look good, but they're taken with the 40D. Have you used the flash on the G15? Does it offer full E-TTL with a G-series camera?

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,620
Like?
"manual" mode

Keep in mind that putting an external flash on a G-series camera will only operate the flash in "manual" mode, i.e. not ETTL (electronic through the lens) so the flash settings will only be "full", half, 1/4, 1/8 power, etc. and cannot be automatically set or controlled by the camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads