Sony a7 + LA-EA4 or Sony a99 ?

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
stol2004
Contributing MemberPosts: 536Gear list
Like?
Sony a7 + LA-EA4 or Sony a99 ?
Dec 10, 2013

Hi guys !

As the title say I'm leaning between the sony a7 + LA-EA4 and A99 .

Which one will focus better ( faster and more accurate)?

The reason why I cant choose between these 2 is simple : a7 offers more lenses with adapters ( I own all the Samyang lenses but in Canon mount and this way I could use them. Bought all lenses with a 90% discount deal new and I cant use them because im a sony shooter and I aint gonna switch to Canon for this. )
. On the other hand Sony a99 is a non compromise camera ( IBIS , alpha mount for my alpha lenses ) . I have no ideea how the focus is compared to A99 and I couldn't find any convincing comparisson in internet .
Does any of you have both cameras and could share his experience?

Thank you!

stol2004's gear list:stol2004's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7S Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC
Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,719
Like?
Re: Sony a7 + LA-EA4 or Sony a99 ?
In reply to stol2004, Dec 10, 2013

Hi,

sorry but maybe something escaped my attention but AFAIK none of the 3rd party lenses (except A-mount 3rd part lenses) would mount on the A7 via LA-EA4 so no AF for them.

If you're concerned about AF funcionality for A-mount lenses on the A7 via LA-EA4 then I'd suppose a head-to-head with the A99. The A99 however could be in advantage for other features, no to forget that it provides IBIS. Of course the A7 allows mounting a wealth of lenses - but AFAIK MF only so accuracy and speed is fully depending on the skills of the photographer.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stol2004
Like?
In reply to Michael Fritzen, Dec 10, 2013

Yes I know that only Alpha mount adapt via LAEA4 The possibility to adapt Canon lenses would've been a plus for A7 only.

Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,719
Like?

...what means there's hardly any comparison because such 3rd party lenses can't be used on the A99. So what counts is how important is the use of such lenses for you. And here for certain the A7/A7r open a new dimension in lens usage. When it gets some day that far that AF is on-sensor then only the mechanics/electromechanics are needed to use AF on any AF-capable lens. The final "convergence"

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,581Gear list
Like?

Speaking in aps-c I have the NEX6, LA-EA2 and A77. With the NEX I love that it is so small, that it has the possibility to use manual lenses, and the LA-EA2 gives me very good af-performance with A-mount lenses if I need it. The A77 I take out for wildlife shots with the 70-400 because the IBIS is great and the AF seems faster. alo, when I want this little extra detail due to 24mp. Would I only go for one system, it would absolutely be the NEX, because it is small, very versatile and can be used with ALL kinds of lenses, whereas the A77 is bulky and only useable with ONE kind of lenses.

In your situation, I would definitely go for the A7. Sony seems to focus big time on e-mount and the SLT-solution - apart from really nice AF - takes away light and adds noise.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +18 more
Stflbn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,429Gear list
Like?

Loss of  In Body Stabilization keeps me from considering this kind of move.

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +5 more
Martin Muehlemann
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stflbn, Dec 10, 2013

Stflbn wrote:

Loss of In Body Stabilization keeps me from considering this kind of move.

Honestly, IBIS, IS OS or whatever can help, but it will not replace by no means the monopod or tripod requirement.

I have used my Canon gear quite for along time. The 300L i had, had no IS. the brand new 24-70 II i had, is without IS too and non of the UWA has IS. It was just not relevant. The picture you could do are outstanding anyway.

Lense with no IS

50L
85L
100 F2
132 F2
200L F2
300L USM
The use of the IS in the 100L IS Macro is not usefull either as on Macro you anyway use tripod. For me this agument does not count.

300L USM by hand? No way. Monopod or tripod. This piece is just not handholdable long enough and IS will not fix this.

The only fine lens which IS I really considered extremly usefull was the 70-200 L IS USM II which was steller performer and my most used lens.

The 70-200G will have OSS and as such just a matter of waiting. The 24-70 will have OSS too, which is an advantage for filming. Thats it.

The ZA16-35 F2.8 does not need OSS because the focal length is easy for handhold and for long epxosure you require a tripod anyhow.

Now tell me, where exactly you need IS, OSS or IBIS?

Cheers
Martin

Martin Muehlemann's gear list:Martin Muehlemann's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7S Sony Alpha 7 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +11 more
Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,545Gear list
Like?

stol2004 wrote:

Hi guys !

As the title say I'm leaning between the sony a7 + LA-EA4 and A99 .

Which one will focus better ( faster and more accurate)?

The reason why I cant choose between these 2 is simple : a7 offers more lenses with adapters ( I own all the Samyang lenses but in Canon mount and this way I could use them. Bought all lenses with a 90% discount deal new and I cant use them because im a sony shooter and I aint gonna switch to Canon for this. )
. On the other hand Sony a99 is a non compromise camera ( IBIS , alpha mount for my alpha lenses ) . I have no ideea how the focus is compared to A99 and I couldn't find any convincing comparisson in internet .
Does any of you have both cameras and could share his experience?

Thank you!

What optics do you have?

A7r is a digital back which can use all glass and that is it. If you have invested a lot in alpha glass, A99 is the only option at the moment.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 +59 more
havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782Gear list
Like?

Depends how badly you want to keep your Samyang lenses, and your priorities.

I've read that A-mount lenses focus very fast with the LA-EA4 adapter..  some say even faster than A-mount cameras thanks to a new processor.  But for the sake of argument, let's call focus speed a tie.

The A7 is a better low light performer -- But only WITHOUT the LA-EA4 adapter.  With the adapter, the low light performance probably ties the A99.

The A7 is definitely smaller, if that's a priority for you.  But once you add the adapter and larger lenses, that size advantage becomes less of an issue.

As others have said, your A-mount lenses will not have IBIS on the A7.  And your Samyang lenses are likely to be manual focus only.  IBIS to some degree, can even give low light advantage to the A99.

Comes down to this, if you use the A7 with native lenses, you gain some advantages.  If you use it with adapted A-mount lenses, you largely lose those advantages.  If IBIS is important to you, on your non-native lenses, then I'd go for the A99 without hesitation.

If you are willing to invest in native lenses in the long term, and/or you like shooting with manual focus adapted lenses, then the A7 could be a great choice.

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +2 more
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,971Gear list
Like?

The a99 is a more versatile camera. If I had to pick just one to use all the time it would be the a99.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

ELSELS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,039Gear list
Like?
In reply to cosmonaut, Dec 10, 2013

cosmonaut wrote:

The a99 is a more versatile camera. If I had to pick just one to use all the time it would be the a99.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

-- hide signature --

Camera Equipment, Computer Gear and more

+1 (Gotta "LUV" that Sony a99) -

nk4002r
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?

The A99 focusing is ought to be faster, because the LE-A4 has the SLT-A33/A55 era 3-point autofocus PD sensor in it vs the latest A99's PD sensor system.  So the high priced LE-A4 is even a step back from your A77 !

The A99 is great ergonomics with larger A-mount lenses, comfortable for a full day photography - a workhorse so to say. On the other hand the A7 can be a very small and portable camera with a prime lens.

<off-topic Rant>

Just today I've tested the 3 plastic-fantastic Sony prime lenses on the A7 with the LE-A3 adapter. They all work, although the focusing is slow and the 35mm f1.8 has a little extreme-corner shading.  The 50mm f1.8 appears to perfectly cover the FF circle and so does the 85mm f2.8 - which was always compatible with the A850, A900 and A99.

However, it is disappointing to finally prove Sony's Corporate greed that the 35mm and 50mm cheap primes were DT for marketing reasons only and what a shame that existing customers, who own the A850/A900/A99 super expensive bodies were locked out from using these lenses by a software restriction for marketing reasons...

The Tamron 60mm F2 also appears to work fine in FF giving a very interesting focal length option with autofocus even in the cheap LE-AE3 adapter.

</off-topic Rant>

nk4002r's gear list:nk4002r's gear list
Canon PowerShot Pro1 Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony a6000 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) +14 more
stol2004
Like?
In reply to nk4002r, Dec 11, 2013

nk4002r wrote:

The A99 focusing is ought to be faster, because the LE-A4 has the SLT-A33/A55 era 3-point autofocus PD sensor in it vs the latest A99's PD sensor system. So the high priced LE-A4 is even a step back from your A77 !

The A99 is great ergonomics with larger A-mount lenses, comfortable for a full day photography - a workhorse so to say. On the other hand the A7 can be a very small and portable camera with a prime lens.

<off-topic Rant>

Just today I've tested the 3 plastic-fantastic Sony prime lenses on the A7 with the LE-A3 adapter. They all work, although the focusing is slow and the 35mm f1.8 has a little extreme-corner shading. The 50mm f1.8 appears to perfectly cover the FF circle and so does the 85mm f2.8 - which was always compatible with the A850, A900 and A99.

However, it is disappointing to finally prove Sony's Corporate greed that the 35mm and 50mm cheap primes were DT for marketing reasons only and what a shame that existing customers, who own the A850/A900/A99 super expensive bodies were locked out from using these lenses by a software restriction for marketing reasons...

The Tamron 60mm F2 also appears to work fine in FF giving a very interesting focal length option with autofocus even in the cheap LE-AE3 adapter.

</off-topic Rant>

thank you foryour input!

RichV
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,955Gear list
Like?
In reply to stol2004, Dec 11, 2013

If these haven't been said, I'd suggest:

• shoot your A77 for however long it takes, with SSS off and using the most challenging lenses you'd use on an A7. don't worry about the higher-ISO junk the A77 will deliver, just be clear on what you need to get good images without IBIS.
  • consider selling off the Samyang lenses for a healthy profit (on FF they don't really stack up all that well, but it's up to you: it's always what price: performance ration we're looking for re: our own personal tastes) - this is, of course, if you decide that the A7 won't be good due to lack of IBIS (OTOH if all you'll ever do is shoot on a tripod, there are no worries)
  • If an A7 is available for you to try (and you're still considering it, they should be hitting stores by now), put your longest lens on it and try out the balance - see if it would work for you
  • consider that there's a new Sony FF coming - possibly within 6 months. While the A99 is a good camera, it's overpriced and missing the new processor, a valid FF AF system and a number of other things; if you want an IBIS body I'd just keep practicing technique and composition on the A77 and wait.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

-- hide signature --

Rich

RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 +6 more
stol2004
Like?
In reply to RichV, Dec 11, 2013

thank you Rich. U made a good point and Idecided to wait a little bit more . I will sell the Samyangs cuz Idont have patience wit MF . I will invest in a 70-200 2.8 lens maybe.

Stflbn
Like?
In reply to Martin Muehlemann, Dec 11, 2013

For lowlight handheld things that do not want to use flash for,  and a tripod is not spontaneous enough for.

Things that I want to keep  ISO at 400 or lower on my A77 while still using my existing  A-mount lenses rather than buying E-mount versions or  expensive current new release A-mount versions.

Main lenses I use ongoing for the type of shooting I like to do are  my  Sigma 50 1.4  and  Sigma 50-150 2.8.

Sony Alpha 7 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +5 more
Sam_Oslo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,585Gear list
Like?
In reply to Martin Muehlemann, Dec 11, 2013

Martin Muehlemann wrote:

Now tell me, where exactly you need IS, OSS or IBIS?

If I'm not misunderstanding you, you are dismissing the whole notion about stabilization. In case, you are in conflict with whole industry, because everybody have recognized the need and trying different ways to implemented it by all means, including IS, OSS, IBIS, etc.

You need IS, OSS or IBIS whenever you handheld a long-lens. Not everybody can drag a tripod everywhere. Specially those who want a small/compact camera as A7 is meant to be.

A7 is a nice camera, and mirrorless FF is great and fresh concept, but the lack of IBIS is it's biggest shortcoming. A good IBIS would result in smaller and lighter and definitely cheaper lenses, and that would be much more proper for such a small/compact body.

Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
Stflbn
Like?
In reply to Stflbn, Dec 11, 2013

For Example,  this shot with Sigma 50mm 1.4 at 400 ISO by christmas tree light would not be a 'spontaneous' handheld shot  if I had to use a tripod to have it somewhat steady.

I like the lenses I have.   I do not want to buy new lenses.    I expect Sony to release an A-mount mirror less camera to support their  A-mount fans,   -  or -  release an A7 type E-mount camera with IBIS so that A-mount lenses using the LA-EA4 adapter also have stabilization.

THEN they'll have my attention and likely a purchase replacement for my A77.   As I currently sit I probably will not upgrade to the expected A77 replacement if it's not mirrorless.

(photo's scraped from Facebook due to not having originals here with me,  so detail has been compromised)

lim yau tong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,934Gear list
Like?
I tried shooting the A7R with
In reply to stol2004, Dec 12, 2013

EA4 adapter and it focuses very fast even faster then the A99.

-- hide signature --

yau tong

lim yau tong's gear list:lim yau tong's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 +25 more
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,554
Like?
I vote for A7 (and I own an A99)
In reply to stol2004, Dec 13, 2013

Having owned an A99 for several months, I'd vote for the A7. Actually, I'd go for the A7r for the higher resolution.

So far as I know the A99 has no real focus advantage over the LA-EA4 -- some even say the adapter focuses faster. Both to my mind are somewhat crippled by a small number of focus points clustered too close to the center of the frame, but on the plus side both allow micro adjustment, which I have found helpful (sometimes necessary) on all the Sony and Minolta A-mount lenses I have tried. You will have to decide for yourself how important IBIS is to your work.

The A7 has the advantage of being able to adapt any number of existing lenses now, with the prospect of a state-of-the-art lens kit coming in the next couple of years. To me it seems a better long term investment, as I think Sony will be putting their emphasis on the E mount in the future -- though to be honest none of us know what Sony is thinking.

Finally, and this was not exactly your question, but my experience with the A99 has convinced me that a 24MP sensor is not enough to show the real advantage of full-frame, compared to 20 or 24MP APS sensors. There may be a small advantage for low-light work, which for some use can be critical, but I don't see more and 1 stop at most.

Of course it all comes down to what kind of photography you do and your working style. That old "right tool for the job" thing. In the end, you have think about your personal needs and make your own choice.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads