By the Lighthouse - FZ150

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
Picouso
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?
By the Lighthouse - FZ150
Dec 10, 2013

It´s difficult to find a reason to upgrade my good old FZ150.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94848665@N07/

Many photographers think that if they buy a better camera, they will be able to make better photographs.A camera will do nothing for you if there is nothing in your head or in your heart. Arnold Newman

Picouso's gear list:Picouso's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rolandb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,479
Like?
Re: By the Lighthouse - FZ150
In reply to Picouso, Dec 10, 2013

Stunning photo,,,,,,,,,,

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pap38
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,495Gear list
Like?

Interesting image, the sky fills the image nicely. I do have a question though. Nearly the entire image appears to have done in Sepia except for the right corner and I was wondering if that was by choice?

Pap

Pap38's gear list:Pap38's gear list
Olympus E-PL7
MaartenSFS
Contributing MemberPosts: 743
Like?

Agreed. Nice composition.

-- hide signature --

- Cheers, Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,827
Like?

A very nice "painting" rendered from your FZ150 image.

Well done!

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

windmillgolfer
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,510Gear list
Like?

Excellent, atmospheric image, Picouso.

Given the abundance of good light in Northern Spain and your usual subject matter, I doubt you'd gain much by going to the FZ200.

-- hide signature --

Stuart
Also at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselgolfer/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, please upgrade the FZ50

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
wolfd
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?

Beautiful image !!

wolfd's gear list:wolfd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Nikon D7000 +2 more
Picouso
Like?
In reply to Picouso, Dec 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your interest and comments!

I did process the photograph with Lightroom, I always do. I think that I can get more juice out of the RAWs than the JPEGS, it gives me more control over the image.

On the other hand, yes, I did change "a bit" part of the sky. It wasn´t really a change but I put emphasis on the the left side of the sky to get a contrast between the blue sky and the fog approaching in. I think it makes a difference.

Thanks, again

manthasfamily
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,087Gear list
Like?

Picouso, what a lovely image.  Well composed, and I love the artistic treatment.  I'm very partial to light houses since I come from a state that has many.

-- hide signature --

Karen
If it pleases you then to hell what everyone else thinks!

manthasfamily's gear list:manthasfamily's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 +2 more
Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,929
Like?

Very enjoyable scene and good treatment of the image, well done.

Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 4,369Gear list
Like?

That is a beautiful photo Picouso. I seriously doubt any other camera could offer much improvement over that shot. Your composition is excelent. The sky and clouds are very dramatic. Very artfully done.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony a6000 +7 more
Byron Walter
Regular MemberPosts: 334
Like?
In reply to Jerry045, Dec 11, 2013

Jerry045 wrote:

That is a beautiful photo Picouso. I seriously doubt any other camera could offer much improvement over that shot. Your composition is excelent. The sky and clouds are very dramatic. Very artfully done.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

I second all that. These days even modest equipment is good enough to produce fine results as demonstrated in this thread. The image is wonderful.

-- hide signature --

Byron

Picouso
Like?
In reply to Byron Walter, Dec 11, 2013

Thank you so much for all your kind replies!
Indeed I think it is a grat camera I can't think of a situation I couldnt solve with it and Lightroom.
But sometimes I keep thinking I'd be better off with a dslr: better iq, possibilities... Btt then i start to think of all the cost involved I really don't think it will pay. What's your experience? Is the change worthy?
Thank you

Many photographers think that if they buy a better camera, they will be able to make better photographs.A camera will do nothing for you if there is nothing in your head or in your heart. Arnold Newman

ysal
Senior MemberPosts: 7,464Gear list
Like?

Beautiful image, your skill in PP made a world of difference here.

-- hide signature --

yuki

ysal's gear list:ysal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Kevin Coppalotti
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,132Gear list
Like?

Picouso wrote:

Thank you so much for all your kind replies!
Indeed I think it is a grat camera I can't think of a situation I couldnt solve with it and Lightroom.
But sometimes I keep thinking I'd be better off with a dslr: better iq, possibilities... Btt then i start to think of all the cost involved I really don't think it will pay. What's your experience? Is the change worthy?
Thank you

Go straight to DSLR and don't look back. You have vision and talent and should make full use of it.

You have probably already discovered the file quality with the FZ150 is poor for landscapes, and cannot take the brutal processing to extract every last drop of DR.

-- hide signature --
Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 4,369Gear list
Like?

Picouso wrote:

Thank you

Can you get better image quality from a DSLR?  Yes. It will involve greater cost, multiple expensive lenses and you will have a fine camera that weighs a lot more and a big bag to haul all those extra lenses. Is that worth it for perhaps slightly better image quality and better low light capability?

Well that becomes a very personal question and can only be answered by you and what you do with a camera and what you expect out of it.

I personally hauled 40 punds of camera stuff half way around the world many times. Now that I am older, I much prefer the convenience of my little FZ150. It is so much more convenient, and the output quality of my photos suits me very well. But everybody's needs are different, and you must decide what best suits your photography and budget requirements.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony a6000 +7 more
Byron Walter
Regular MemberPosts: 334
Like?
In reply to Kevin Coppalotti, Dec 12, 2013

Kevin Coppalotti wrote:

...Go straight to DSLR and don't look back. You have vision and talent and should make full use of it...

-- hide signature --

Certainly nothing wrong with doing that but I just looked at his gallery and he's doing mighty fine with his present kit. He's got the touch.

-- hide signature --

Byron

djddpr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,338
Like?
In reply to Byron Walter, Dec 12, 2013

Byron Walter,

I too use FZ150 and am always interested in what others do with it.

I have nothing significant to add to the insightful comments already made.  So let it be a case of "ditto from me".  Thanks for sharing.

David Dollevoet

Picouso
Like?
In reply to Picouso, Dec 12, 2013

Thanks for all your comments and appreciation!

Indeed it is a tricky decision to move from a "all around camera" like the FZ150, very convenient for every situation, where taking photographs is a lot of fun since you don´t have to worry about changing lenses. 25-600 mm is a lot to choose from; whereas the DSLR would offer me greater IQ whilst keeping a lot of weight.

I still remember travelling around Egypt and Tunisia with my old film Nikon dslr and a bag full of lenses in the scorching sun. Well that was not comfortable! Indeed the photographs came out amazing but I think back then I would miss the convenience of a FZ camera even if it is a bit worse in terms of IQ (I sometimes miss a bit of extra juice when I pp my pictures)

On the other hand, I´ve found out that what really makes the difference is the processing you give to your images. I´ve seen people (friends and flickr users) who use amazing dslr gears and the photographs won´t match the quality of the equipment; and there are also people who can get amazing results with a compact camera.

Sometimes we rely so much in equipment that we neglect the composition, the creativity and the post processing. My photographs grew up a lot with me since I started to use and learn a bit of Lightroom.

These are some of my best shots with the FZ150 all shot in RAW and with my "touch" of Lightroom. I´ve got many others in my flickr page.Thanks for commenting. I learn a lot from this forum.

Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,628Gear list
Like?
In reply to Picouso, Dec 12, 2013

great shot.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads