Nikon D610 or Canon 6D?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Canon 6D or Nikon D610
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Nikon D610 or Canon 6D?
8 months ago

Hello guys! I am new to photography. I am interesting in buying a new FF camera! I am between Canon 6D and Nikon D610. I don't want it for professional use yet. I want to take photos on landscapes, portraits & night (low light) photos most!!! I don't care very much the video mode, but I want fantastic pictures! Which camera do you believe is best for me?

I am open to any questions & suggestions!!! Thank you very much for your time!!!

Canon 6D or Nikon D610's gear list:Canon 6D or Nikon D610's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SamG10
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D610 or Canon 6D?
In reply to Canon 6D or Nikon D610, 8 months ago

Visit a shop that will allow you to handle and try both.  See which one feels comfortable in your hands and if the buttons feel logically placed for you.  I am not familiar with Canon 6D but owned a D600/610.  It is a fantastic camera And you can't go wrong with it.

SamG10's gear list:SamG10's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D1X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 15,389
Like?
Both are

Canon 6D or Nikon D610 wrote:

Hello guys! I am new to photography. I am interesting in buying a new FF camera! I am between Canon 6D and Nikon D610. I don't want it for professional use yet. I want to take photos on landscapes, portraits & night (low light) photos most!!! I don't care very much the video mode, but I want fantastic pictures! Which camera do you believe is best for me?

I am open to any questions & suggestions!!! Thank you very much for your time!!!

Both are great and no wrong choice really. A little info to get you started

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-6D-vs-Nikon-D610

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

bigconig
Contributing MemberPosts: 640Gear list
Like?
In reply to SamG10, 8 months ago

610 has greater dynamic range and better low light performance. The big thing left to consider is ergonomics and lens selection, these are more of a personal thing.

sensors compared

-- hide signature --
 bigconig's gear list:bigconig's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +10 more
Bamboojled
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?

While both cameras are great, and I am sure you will be happy with either choice...

The D610 has a feature set that closer resembles the Canon 5DIII than it does the 6D.

SIMILAR TO 5DIII

100% viewfinder

6fps

2 card slots

4:2:2 video shooting

3fps continues quite mode

Focus down to F/8 with lenses

More focusing points

Better focus tracking

Features that Stand out over the competitors in Canon

Greater Dynamic Range

More Megapixels

Greater color depth

Built in flash with wireless commander mode

Attachable Wi-Fi adaptor

6D Advantages

Wifi and GPS built in

-3 EV focusing with center point

Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,706Gear list
Like?

I've owned D800 and 5DM3, and currently own D600 and shot with Canon 6D extensively.   D600 is a better spec'ed camera and more intuitive (to me) to use, however I do agree with several posters here that either D600 or 6D would be a great choice for photography.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Selene
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
In reply to Bamboojled, 8 months ago

I responded to you in the Canon forum, but should have added a couple of points. In shooting landscapes and other outdoor scenes and even indoors with available light, the 6D is much better than the D600 in low light in spite of what the specs might suggest.  Inside, I often continue to use the D600 because the popup flash (lacking on the 6D) is just enough to get good indoor shots. The popup flash is not that helpful most of the times outdoors, but it can be useful in some situations. In general, I would agree that the D600/610 is better on landscapes except that the quality of the lens one uses makes a huge difference. The kit lens that comes with the 6d (the 24-205 f4 L) is a really terrific lens compared to the less expensive lenses that typically are offered with the D600 (I found the 24-85 variable ap lens better than the 24-120 f4, though I may have gotten a bad copy of the latter)..

I would say in this forum too that they are both excellent cameras and the differences between them will mean more or less to you than they might to someone else. Is there somewhere you can try them out or rent them? That way you can determine which one best suits your personal style.

kelvin2345
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?

Buy Canon, please.

Reason? Too many people are buying Nikon products and is driving up the price. Oh yes, I am a nikon user.

I also recommend you to buy the canon ASAP. In case you don't know, this kind of Nikon vs Canon question sparks a lot of heated debates. Which is not good since a lot of forum members are emotionally attached to their gears.

-- hide signature --

kleungphoto.blogspot.com

Jim Mohundro
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?

Well, there's a lot of talk about "look and feel" and although thst may not necessarily apply to photographic equipment, for basic illustrative purposes I'll take the liberty of making it so.  Because the look (not of the images but of the camera and lens) is in no way important to me, I can focus, so to speak, on the feel.  When, a few years ago, I made the move to a DSLR from a point and shoot digital canon S45 based partly on my frustration with the seemingly endless delay between shutter press and image capture, I carefully tried out, mostly for ergonomics several Canon and Nikon DSLRs with no prejudice toward one brand over the other.  Eventually, I chose the Nikon, based solely on its ergonomic  "feel" for me, fully realizing that Canon DSLRs might feel more comfortable for others.  Now I have remained a Nikon DSLR user for some years (Ds 80, 200, 300 and 700).  My son early on adopted the Canon DSLR family.  We're still speaking and making digital images.  Try Canon and Nikon with some patience.  Assuming you're an amateur, you really can't go wrong when the differences are really marginal.

-- hide signature --

Jim Mohundro

Jim Mohundro's gear list:Jim Mohundro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D610
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?

You're in the Nikon forum. I don't think there is any bias here, is there?

I suggest going to Canon. We don't need any more amateurs here.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D90 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
mubs14
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

Big noo to d610.. Was so eager to purchase it in the first hand just to realize the oil spots appearing on the snaps after 300 shots.Not much difference to d600 and loss of money again.

clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,132
Like?

Either would be fine for any type of photos really.

I chose the Nikon because it has certain things that I prefer, like some lenses, controls, commander built in flash, etc. etc.

Canon 6D or Nikon D610
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
In reply to wasserball, 8 months ago

If you don't want any amateurs don't reply to me!! The forum is for all! It isn't only for experts! And don't forget that all people started from amateur, you too also!!
So be polite and don't behave like this!

Thank you again everybody for your help. I have already thought about this, that's why I posted my question to both forums, in order to receive Nikon & Canon answers.

Canon 6D or Nikon D610's gear list:Canon 6D or Nikon D610's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,485
Like?
In reply to SamG10, 8 months ago

SamG10 wrote:

Visit a shop that will allow you to handle and try both. See which one feels comfortable in your hands and if the buttons feel logically placed for you. I am not familiar with Canon 6D but owned a D600/610. It is a fantastic camera And you can't go wrong with it.

With respect, and no offence intended, but this is not sound advice. All modern DSLRs handle excellently, not one would be uncomfortable in your hands. Handling generally is one of the less important issue, especially for amature / hobbyists who has little time pressure, but want more performance for their buck. To choose a camera solely on handling is like to choose a car sole on engine noise.

As for "you cannot go wrong with either" advice, it is nicely meaningless. The point of choosing is not to avoid "wrong", but to get a "better choice". indeed there are many difference between the two camera, even more difference between the two systems to warrant proper analysis.

The basic capability of the two cameras are not actually too far apart. Dont underestimate the convenience of wifi. I used 6D, its wifi implementation is truly genius. Nikon want extra 60 bucks for the wifi module that isnt half as good and has to stick out when attached. You could try eye-fi, but you cannot control the camera with it. On the other hand, dont underestimate D610's auto-iso advantage, 6D's implementation is about as bad as Nikon's wifi.

Also important to consider is lenses capability. For mid grade lens selection, Nikon is slightly stronger at below 100mm, Canon is slightly stronger at above 100mm. So if you shoot WUA, or short portrait, or a walk around prime, get Nikon. If you want to shoot macro, or long portrait, or wildlife, go with Canon.

rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,972Gear list
Like?
My exp with Sony sensors

I have used a few cameras in the digital age. The dslrs include the D80 and D7000, and a rented D600. I have to say that the Sony sensors after the D7000's are truly amazing in their ability re both low and high ISO use. There are a few sensors that will beat them at extreme ISO values (12800 or above), but thir overall performance is likely unmtched. At low ISO values, the DR, mostly easily perceived as one brings up exposure in darker areas, is outstanding. Check the test running here by Horshack on the D800, compared to Df and 6D. The difference at base ISO is amazing.

So, it depends a bit on your shooting priorities. If you do it in very dark situations constantly, requiring high SS, then a Df or a 6D would be preferable. If you stay in the more common range of ISO 100-3200, the D610 is the best value available.

Regardong other features, the AF of the D610 is very good for moving subjects that require continuous focusing. Can't say anything about the 6D's system.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?

It is very apparent that you cannot distinguish sarcasm from reality.  The reality is you will not be able to decide on the cameras from the opinions here or the other side.  You will have to do some independent research.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D90 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,874Gear list
Like?

The Nikon people take this position: The D610 has more resolution, better DR and color and generally bests the 6D in most respects important to image quality. You really can't argue the hard data.

The Canon people take this position: The superior resolution, DR and color depth of the Nikon is real, but the Canon is "good enough." You don't really have to break the bank to get a good lens for either and there are some 3rd party lenses that are as good or superior for less money.

Nikon flash system is generally considered the best. Both systems have lens options at all price points that can out-resolve their sensors.

Of course, once Canon has a sensor to best the D610 dynamic range, Canon fans will go back to supporting it's importance.

Yes, it's true that you can't really go wrong with the Canon. It's a very good camera. But the simple truth is that the D610 is a better performing tool overall and in skilled hands can do more. Dynamic range is something you can never have enough of; please ignore inexperienced shooters who say otherwise. Every small difference contributes to the final image, so take nothing for granted.

Happy shooting,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,722Gear list
Like?
The 610, without question

Canon seems to be a step behind regarding sensor innovation, and the 6D shows. The 610 is a better camera by almost every relevant metric.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,904
Like?
Trying a different answer

For the OP: I don't know if you are still reading this thread or whether you'll even get to my reply. If you don't, I likely have wasted my time replying.

Before I even start, we have to discuss a few things, mostly the concept of gradations of differences along the greater and broader spectrum of "good" and "bad". I think too often things get lumped into a category like "the Canon 6D is WAY better in low light" or "the Nikon D610 is WAY better for landscape" and so forth, with the implication that the *magnitude* of this "better" (or "worse") is so great that one would be a bumbling idiot to go one direction or the other and suffer the wrath of all who really "know" photography. The differences between two very nice, similar bodies aren't going to be so drastic in terms of image quality among almost every possible shooting scenario - they're going to be smaller in magnitude. So perhaps we need to define these somewhat first. I would say that if I term a difference as substantial, it's just what it says - and most people of any skill level would obviously see the difference in an 11x14" print. A difference of "moderate" would implay that someone skilled in photography (I don't separate amateur and pro as how much % of ones income one derives from photography is not directly correlated to how much they know about photography, their technical skill at photography, or how good they are as a photographer) would likely see the difference in an 11x14" print, but a beginner might not. A difference of "subtle" or "minor" would likely mean that a skilled photographer would likely see the difference in a larger print, say, 13x19 to 16x20", but the difference wouldn't mean that one print is substantially better than the other, and a beginner or even an intermediate photographer might not see the difference at all.

In terms of image quality, which seems to be the thing most people are concerned with, both are extremely capable cameras. While I personally shoot Nikon and have my reasons for doing so as a photographer with a very high (and picky) skill level, I have colleagues and friends who shoot Canon. None of us think the other is in some way worse than the others based upon the brand name they shoot. Get really good shooters together and the brand of camera never enters the discussion - subject, light, location, and ideas mostly are.

I think we've gotten to the point where most of the latest generation of bodies are more capable than most of the photographers using them - meaning that most people shooting 6D, 5D-iii from Canon or D610 and D800/D800E from Nikon, even if they are pretty good, are not *extracting* every last bit of potential from their bodies. This should then imply that someone who is starting out or is closer to the beginning stage is not going to either, which means that pretty much any of the current modern bodies is going to be quite good and as importantly, be quite good as a body one can "grow into".

From a very advanced photographers point of view, I would offer my view of the two bodies as having differences that grade from subtle to between subtle and moderate, nothing more drastic. The 6D might have a subtle advantage at very high ISO situations like shooting dress recitals and outdoor sports, but even that is a point that could be argued. I'd say that the Nikon D610 has a subtle to greater-than-subtle advantage at the lower ISO in terms of dynamic range and the cleanliness of the shadow zone, which might provide a similarly subtle to slightly greater than subtle advantage for landscape work, but at the same time, it is not a moderate nor substantial difference. I personally would pick a D610 just slightly, but not if the next paragraphs implications were to indicate you were more comfortable with a 6D as we need to talk about user interace/usability.

So for me, it comes down to usability and what YOU feel the most comfortable with. And thus, I think you need to handle both bodies and see how YOU relate to the menu system - the user interface (UI) and controls and the AF (autofocus) system and see what you think. Ultimately the quality of the resulting photograph will often be better - sometimes quite a bit so - if the photographer is more "one with his/her gear" - and reacts to situations he/she sees better. The 6D will grasp initial AF a bit quicker than the Nikons, but perhaps not track movement quite as well. You might prefer the Nikon menus structure, or prefer the Nikon placement of controls. I think THESE aspects, more than the subtle to between subtle and moderate differences in image quality, will be more important to you, and thus, I can't tell you which body to buy. I can tell you that both are extremely capable bodies that you could live with and grow into for a while, with the smaller gradations of image quality differences I mentioned above.

Hope this helps some and I apologize for the length of this reply.

-m

cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, 8 months ago

Count me among the Canon shooters who feels left behind by the superior image quality of the latest generation of Nikon and Sony sensors. I advised the OP in the Canon forum version of this thread that if I were starting out now with no lenses, I'd definitely go with Nikon for its better image quality. If there was a chance of Canon catching up in the near future, I might not take that position, but the fact is that the Sony/Nikon partnership will last until Canon's market position is much weaker, and that could take quite a long time, and there is simply no way that Canon's tiny semiconductor business can compete with Sony's. Of course, even without Sony, the Nikon sensor in the Df and D4 is far superior than anything from Canon. So, yes, many of us in the Canon camp feel left behind, especially as camera after camera is released with better image quality than even the "best" Canon bodies. the OP should go with a future proof camera, not one with a sensor that was state of the art in 2007.

On the other hand, the differences, while real, are not enough to make me sell all of my Canon stuff. In that sense, the sensor is "good enough." But I would never tell a new buyer to invest in Canon at this time, at least not if he cares about image quality. There are other considerations, like lens choice, ergonomics, AF, and quality control, but in my view nothing really matters if the sensor is a stinker.

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads