Canon 6D or Nikon D610 Locked

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Canon 6D or Nikon D610
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Canon 6D or Nikon D610
8 months ago

Hello guys! I am new to photography. I am interesting in buying a new FF camera! I am between Canon 6D and Nikon D610. I don't want it for professional use yet. I want to take photos on landscapes, portraits & night (low light) photos most!!! I don't care very much the video mode, but I want fantastic pictures! Which camera do you believe is best for me?

I am open to any questions & suggestions!!! Thank you very much for your time!!!

Canon 6D or Nikon D610's gear list:Canon 6D or Nikon D610's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 838Gear list
Re: Canon 6D or Nikon D610
In reply to Canon 6D or Nikon D610, 8 months ago

The Canon, because Canon is a better system you'll be buying yourself in to. Apart from that it doesn't really matter.

/Neil

Spad16's gear list:Spad16's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
panoviews
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
In reply to Spad16, 8 months ago

6D: WiFi + GPS, autofocus also with -3EV

D610: Better autofocus system

I was one step before switching to Nikon, but I didn't like how Nikon managed the D600 desaster. Also with the latest firmware update they blocked third-party batteries.

If Canon won't innovate my next camera will be another brand with a mirrorless body. The current Sony A7r is not bad, but it still lacks important features.

panoviews's gear list:panoviews's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 838Gear list
In reply to panoviews, 8 months ago

panoviews wrote:

Have you actually tested this?  What actually constitutes a "better autofocus system"  -3EV or more focus points? Personally I THINK the 6D has the better autofocus, but I doubt if many on the Nikon forum will agree with me, and I've never tried a D610.

But I still think they're both good enough.

/Neil

Spad16's gear list:Spad16's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
bgbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932

any of these cameras will do. Both of them have minor advantages and disadvantages.  Honestly, I do not think those advantages or disadvantages are big enough.  I think it comes down to price and your lens selection.

damell
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
In reply to bgbs, 8 months ago

The Canon 6D is certainly your best bet. I've had mine for about 2weeks now. It's just amazing. The wifi capabilities are superb. Autofocus works brilliantly. I've shot weddings and a concert with it, and the results are stellar.

damell's gear list:damell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 576Gear list

Both are great cameras. Both are sufficient for virtually anyone's needs except a sport or war photojournalist. I'll note that Canon's sensor image quality is a generation behind the rest of the pack, and there is no indication of Canon catching up in the foreseeable future. If I was buying into a system now, it would be Nikon due to their relationship with Sony for sensor technology. The sad thing is that Canon seems better in just about everything else, in my opinion, particularly quality control. Lenses are razor close between the brands, depending on what you shoot, but I'd give Canon the edge for their tilt shifts, f/2.8 zooms, and the 85L. However, as more and more cameras are released with better sensors than Canons, a lot of us are starting to feel a bit left behind.

Here is a list of the advantages each camera has. Rather than looking at the total score, check out which features that matter to you are best in which camera. Also, I'd highly recommend trying out both cameras before purchasing. Ergonomics matter. As I said above, both brands have great lenses, but there are a few standouts in each camp. Nikon has a great wide angle zoom and a newer design 50mm prime, while Canon has some fantastic specialty lenses.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-6D-vs-Nikon-D610

Nikon always wins on Snapsort these days because of their better image quality. So, if dynamic range and resolution are your top criteria, Nikon wins. But if other aspects matter, such as high ISO shooting, you might check out the Canon.

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,432
Both

Canon 6D or Nikon D610 wrote:

Hello guys! I am new to photography. I am interesting in buying a new FF camera! I am between Canon 6D and Nikon D610. I don't want it for professional use yet. I want to take photos on landscapes, portraits & night (low light) photos most!!! I don't care very much the video mode, but I want fantastic pictures! Which camera do you believe is best for me?

I am open to any questions & suggestions!!! Thank you very much for your time!!!

For the average FF DSLR user both cameras are excellent. The differences, in many cases, are pretty small and won't be noticed until you get into the hobby more and start taking photos that push the technology. Both systems will serve you very well and both companies will likely be around for some time. Best to read up on each and learn the differences then go to the store and feel/try them both to make the more informed choice. Really can't go wrong with either. Good luck

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list

Well, i held a 6D on my hands this pass weekend and i LOVED it.  All i can tell you is that canon's colors POP, yet the skin tones remain more in tact than nikon's.  I love it.  I can also guarantee you that the white balance on the 6D is way better than the D600 also.  From what i understand, the new D610 has "improved" white balance, but i doubt is better than the canon.

To me that's important.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Selene
New MemberPosts: 17
In reply to mistermejia, 8 months ago

I had the D600 but got frustrated cloning out spots (after about 2500-3000 shots and a couple of cleanings, it seems fine now). Needing a reliable camera right away, I acquired the 6D. Both are outstanding cameras; either one is more than I will ever need.  The D600 provides amazing detail--without the junk on the sensor, the sensor has to be one of the best, so  I would guess that you would find the d610 to be an amazing camera. That being said, it was sometimes a pain in the neck to get the settings right and I sometimes had a hard time focusing certain lenses in low light. When you are buying a camera these days, you are buying into a system. In general, the good Nikon lenses are way more expensive than the good Canon lenses, so most of the lenses I used were not that great on the Nikon (the 24-120--a great lens but one that requires a lot of post-prossessing and the 70-300 kit lens, not too bad, but not as sharp as the Canon lenses I have).

For me, the 6D is almost the perfect camera. i'm small, have small hands and the buttons and adjustments are all where I can modify them easily. Canon has a quick screen button that makes it easy to make quick adjustments on the fly. I have rarely missed a shot since I started using the camera. It focuses well even in low light. But what really makes the camera a gem is the availability of high quality Canon lenses. Right now is an especially good time to buy them as they are being heavily discounted.

I can imagine someone who is bigger might find the 6d a little small, but it is a fabulous camera in every way you want a camera to be fabulous.

I started out as a Nikon shooter as a carryover from film days, but I haven't regretted switching to Canon and doubt I will change back, though I have to say that I continue to be reluctant to sell the D600 and continue to use it from time to time.

I shoot a little bit of everything and find the lens generally makes more difference than the camera--I've gotten good bif with both cameras. I haven't done much other kind of action shooting, though have gotten good shots of surfers and skateboarders with both cameras.

In short, you can't go wrong with either camera, but  they have very different strengths and weaknesses that will make one more desirable than the other.

Hope this helps

Canon 6D or Nikon D610
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
In reply to mistermejia, 8 months ago

I want to thank all of you for your time and your suggestions! I have already read many reviews and tests of these cameras and most of them result the D610 as the best camera - at least in papers!

I need more the opinion of you that you have used or test these cameras! I need your experiences on these models!!! So, please don't reply me by website tests!!!
Please share with me your experiences!!!

Thank you again for your support and wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year!!!

Kind regards!!!

Canon 6D or Nikon D610's gear list:Canon 6D or Nikon D610's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,767Gear list

This is your new acct name, seriously?

Both take fantastic photos. D610 is better on spec but costs $400-500 more in street prices.  And don't forget lens choice that is equally important.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,432
maybe

I want to thank all of you for your time and your suggestions! I have already read many reviews and tests of these cameras and most of them result the D610 as the best camera - at least in papers!

I need more the opinion of you that you have used or test these cameras! I need your experiences on these models!!! So, please don't reply me by website tests!!!
Please share with me your experiences!!!

Thank you again for your support and wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year!!!

Kind regards!!!

Maybe hard to find folks that have actually shot both the D610 (which fixed issues with the D600) and the 6D. Good luck though.

Good info here but you have to read through it. Your question has come up before. Not much has changed.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52588552

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Jimmy K.
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
In reply to Spad16, 8 months ago

To OP: go with 6D, because this is Canon forum

You posted in Nikon forum too. I see that response there talks about DR and ISO. My personal hands-on testing with 6D and D600 (not D610). D600 has more DR; this is pretty much the consensus. 6D is better at high ISO (> 6400); people argue about this, and I prefer the noise in 6D over D600.  The differences are not significant and requires pixel peeping to see.

There are some feature difference between the 2. D610 does have more features, other than 6D having built-in GPS and wifi.  All these differences in image quality and features are really insignificant. If you have a feature that you must have, then you can decide base on that feature.

Spad16 wrote:

panoviews wrote:

Have you actually tested this? What actually constitutes a "better autofocus system" -3EV or more focus points? Personally I THINK the 6D has the better autofocus, but I doubt if many on the Nikon forum will agree with me, and I've never tried a D610.

This is my experience on AF. For single point AF and area AF (not tracking), 6D works better. For me, 99% of time I use single point AF. For my wife, she use Auto mode and Auto Area AF 100% of time. 6D's AF is better for our usage.

For tracking, D600 seems better. I don't use this often. I only had chance to test BIF with D600 once and 6D handful of times. I got more more focused photos with D600. My result with BIF is hit-or-miss and very variable. Result probably affected by AF tracking, D600 higher fps, and lens.

Beserk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,176

I just unboxed my 6d last night. So far I'm impressed but that's not saying much since I used to shoot an old Rebel XTi--almost a decade old now.

I looked at a review of the D600 and it has some great stuff that I wish the 6d had: namely a built in flash and more cross type auto focus points. It seems as though the 6d reigns supreme in low light though, which is what I really want.

Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,295Gear list

I went through the same decision a couple of months ago. I have a fair amount of experience with the 6D now, but I eliminated the D600/610 without even trying one. I don't know if this will help, but here is what I came up with:

The Nikon does have far better specs:

More AF points and more high-quality AF points. The 6D does have a more sensitive center point, but honestly I consider the AF array pretty archaic on the 6D, and this is my biggest complaint about the 6D. I really wish they could have at least used the AF system from the 7D, but I think Canon says they couldn't get the AF sensor to fit without making the 6D larger. More likely, they did not want to steal purchases from the 5D MkIII?

The D610 has more megapixels. The 6D has plenty for what I need.

The dynamic range is wider on the D610. There have been a lot of arguments on the forum about the importance of this, but I doubt you would find many Canon users who would turn down the extra range if Canon had it. I personally don't find it a big deal, for what I do.

No AF-assist light on the 6D! WHAT??? Some people hate them, I like them. If you want AF assist, you have to mount a speedlight. That is when most people would want them, I guess, but I am generally using flash off-camera, so that is no help for me.

The Nikon has a built-in flash. Not something I would use.

The D610 has two card slots. A lot of people feel this is a must-have. I don't.

Probably others. Nikon is very into features, I think. And Canon seems to have purposefully crippled the 6D in a lot of ways to protect sales of other products, such as the 7D and 5D.

Why did I choose the 6D, then? I balanced a lot of other things against the specs.

I like the 6D user interface far better. I have not used the D600/610, but I have owned a D3100, and shot with a D7000 for a week. The D610 is essentially a D7100 with a 35mm sensor. The D7000/7100 is bigger and blockier than the 6D, and I have small hands. The 6D feels much better. The Nikon menus drive me crazy, and I really like the 6D menus. I also like having pretty much all the controls on the right, so I can reach them without having to change my hold on the camera when I am shooting. I *really* like being able to zoom to a present in review on 6D-on the D610, you have to hit the + button until you get there. I think I would shoot myself if I had to live with that. With the 6D, you zoom with a dial, which I find much better. The only thing I don't like about the 6D controls is that there is no white balance button, and you can't re-assign white balance to any of the buttons.

I feel Canon has the better lens selection. For what I do, the Canon system is better.

I like Canon as a company far better than Nikon. I have owned and used a lot of Canon products, including cameras, and had really good experiences. Nikon seems more dismissive of its customers, and more arrogant. The way they handled the D600 sensor fouling issue, and the D800 AF issue really turned me off.

Overall, I agree with what other have said. I love my 6D, but I am sure you can get great images from either system. It really comes down to what features are more important for you, and really, I cannot over-emphasize shooting with any cameras you are considering, if at all possible! I rented the 6D and a couple of lenses for several days before I bought it, so I went into my purchase very well informed. I realize this is not possible for a lot of people.

Hope this helps in some small way!  

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,767Gear list
In reply to Caerolle, 8 months ago

Caerolle wrote:

I went through the same decision a couple of months ago. I have a fair amount of experience with the 6D now, but I eliminated the D600/610 without even trying one. I don't know if this will help, but here is what I came up with:

More AF points and more high-quality AF points. The 6D does have a more sensitive center point, but honestly I consider the AF array pretty archaic on the 6D, and this is my biggest complaint about the 6D. I really wish they could have at least used the AF system from the 7D, but I think Canon says they couldn't get the AF sensor to fit without making the 6D larger. More likely, they did not want to steal purchases from the 5D MkIII?

The dynamic range is wider on the D610. There have been a lot of arguments on the forum about the importance of this, but I doubt you would find many Canon users who would turn down the extra range if Canon had it. I personally don't find it a big deal, for what I do.

No AF-assist light on the 6D! WHAT??? Some people hate them, I like them. If you want AF assist, you have to mount a speedlight. That is when most people would want them, I guess, but I am generally using flash off-camera, so that is no help for me.

Probably others. Nikon is very into features, I think. And Canon seems to have purposefully crippled the 6D in a lot of ways to protect sales of other products, such as the 7D and 5D.

Why did I choose the 6D, then? I balanced a lot of other things against the specs.

I like the 6D user interface far better. I have not used the D600/610, but I have owned a D3100, and shot with a D7000 for a week. The D610 is essentially a D7100 with a 35mm sensor. The D7000/7100 is bigger and blockier than the 6D, and I have small hands. The 6D feels much better. The Nikon menus drive me crazy, and I really like the 6D menus. I also like having pretty much all the controls on the right, so I can reach them without having to change my hold on the camera when I am shooting. I *really* like being able to zoom to a present in review on 6D-on the D610, you have to hit the + button until you get there. I think I would shoot myself if I had to live with that. With the 6D, you zoom with a dial, which I find much better. The only thing I don't like about the 6D controls is that there is no white balance button, and you can't re-assign white balance to any of the buttons.

I feel Canon has the better lens selection. For what I do, the Canon system is better.

I like Canon as a company far better than Nikon. I have owned and used a lot of Canon products, including cameras, and had really good experiences. Nikon seems more dismissive of its customers, and more arrogant. The way they handled the D600 sensor fouling issue, and the D800 AF issue really turned me off.

Overall, I agree with what other have said. I love my 6D, but I am sure you can get great images from either system. It really comes down to what features are more important for you, and really, I cannot over-emphasize shooting with any cameras you are considering, if at all possible! I rented the 6D and a couple of lenses for several days before I bought it, so I went into my purchase very well informed. I realize this is not possible for a lot of people.

Well summarized.  Agree all you said above.

Also another factor is that you can get 6D today $400-500 cheaper which is pretty significant. In addition you can get excellent 24-105L/4.0 IS (constant F/4, ideal range, L build quality and weather sealing) from combo deal while with Nikon you need to buy equivalent 24-120G/4.0 VR separately that is a pretty expensive lens. Nikon kit zoom 24-85G/3.5-5.6 VR, although still very good, is not in the same category.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Paul B Jones
Contributing MemberPosts: 952Gear list
Both Very Good - Go with the Mooch Test

End results are going to be the same for 99% of photographers with either of these cameras.

So ... a valid consideration is what your friends or colleagues shoot with.

If you know some one with a Canon, they can show you around the menus and you can mooch lenses off them.  Get the 6D.

Same goes if your buddies shot Nikon - get the D610.

If you know Canon people and Nikon people - flip a coin.

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 400mm f/4.0 DO IS USM Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM +6 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,983Gear list
Do you shoot more at low or high ISO?

D610's sensor is one of the best for low ISO shooting (DR), while 6D's is excellent at ISOs 3200 and up, and better compared to D610's. You should go toa stire and try them, maybe even rent them, test them side-by-side and see which feels better.

They are both excellent.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list
In reply to qianp2k, 8 months ago

qianp2k wrote:

Caerolle wrote:

Well summarized. Also another factor is that you can get 6D today $400-500 cheaper which is pretty significant. In addition you can get excellent 24-105L/4.0 IS (constant F/4, ideal range, L build quality and weather sealing) from combo deal while with Nikon you need to buy equivalent 24-120G/4.0 VR separately that is a pretty expensive lens. Nikon kit zoom 24-85G VR although still very good, is not in the same category.

+1

It would be also good to mention that canon does have much much better deals, when they do.  if you look around and search for websites that tell you about canon's deal packages, it is pretty impressive what you get.  A camera, lens, memory card, AND a printer!  If you don't need any of these extra items you can easily resell them in craigslist or something and you put EXTRA money in your pocket!  I have never seen nikon give out those packages.  I think the "advantage" is with canon.

On a side note:  Extra added features are nice, and they CAN be used if you do need them, like more AF points, two memory slots, and stuff like that.  But if you DON'T need them, then don't base your purchase on bell and whisles.

I had the D7000 with 39 AF points, NEVER used them.  It had two memory slots, NEVER used them both.  Now i have the fuji S5 pro with only 9 AF points and i LOVE it because they are nicely spread out.

Like others said to the OP, take your time and find out more about each camera, and there is a difference in the straight output of each camera, so figure out what you like and need best

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads