High ISO RX10 Video of City Council's Public Pooping Debate

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,506Gear list
Like?
High ISO RX10 Video of City Council's Public Pooping Debate
Dec 10, 2013

Finally got a chance to get out tonight and shoot some video, and ended up attending our local city council meeting. Our city has unfortunately been suffering a crisis this past year with human feces appearing around the downtown area, and the matter of what to do about this situation has greatly concerned our local government officials for some time.

During tonight's meeting, a local homeless advocate argued against the city shutting down a downtown homeless camp called "Whoville", by pointing out the fact that local charities had provided portable toilets to the camp, and that the residents of the camp were thus not guilty of contributing to the feces problem. She said that closing the camp would only increase the Poop problem, and not make it better.

I shot this video in 1080/24p AVCHD at full optical zoom ( 200mm equivalent ) in full manual mode, with shutter at 1/50th and the aperture at f/5.6. I specifically used a smaller aperture to force the camera to a higher ISO, which I set at ISO 2500. I wanted to see how footage looked shot at this ISO.

The RX10's Standard profile with only a +1 sharpening adjustment used. Edited in Premiere Pro 6, with only the Highlights/Shadows filter applied, and nothing else. Then exported to H.264 MP4 at 18 Mbps bitrate.

Homeless Advocate Lectures City Council on the Facts of Poop

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?
Re: High ISO RX10 Video of City Council's Public Pooping Debate
In reply to lancespring, Dec 10, 2013

I only get 2 seconds of play time before it just stops.  I believe I have fast internet.

Video is sharp and well detailed. It's hard to tell about the sound because it wasn't set correctly, or an external mic wasn't used.  Two seconds just isn't long enough.

I'm sorry, but that sort of makes it a fail, in spite of the build up for an interesting spectacle.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
azma
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
In reply to Trevor G, Dec 10, 2013

The whole video played fine even sound came out good:-)

azma's gear list:azma's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Canon PowerShot G7 X Samsung NX mini +1 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,348Gear list
Like?
No problem (audio or other) watching it here. The "fail" may be your connection.

Thanks for the demonstration of the RX10's capabilities, Lance.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
lancespring
Like?

You should see a download button below the video.  Click on that, and you will find a more compressed HD version of the file that you could then download to your PC.   Then simply play the video from your local hard drive, instead of across the Internet.

I did not opt to display a 720 res version of the file, as I figured that most people would want to pixel peep it.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
YiannisPP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,621
Like?

Looks quite good, less sharp than at base ISOs of course but still very good.

My only observation is that high ISO usually looks better (less noisy) when it's not really needed, i.e. when the light is not that bad. I have a feeling that if the scene brightness was two stops less and you had to use f2.8, then maybe it would not have looked that clean.

Ken Ross
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?

Looks very good. I'm sure you tripod mounted considering the stability of the image. I've found the OIS to be one of the very few weaknesses of the RX10. It's not quite as robust as other Sonys I've owned.

elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,965Gear list
Like?

It's inspiring to witness someone who cares to make a difference. Thanks for this. Played perfectly for me.

I am impressed by the quality of the sound from your distance, and the lack of background noise. In another thread, someone mentioned you have to be cautious about picking up your own breathing.

Please tell us your impressions/results with the audio of your videos.

I am quite interested in the audio for music in a small club, and if far away like a school play.

Also, for stills, RX10 can give quite nice shallow DOF. How does that work out for videos when zoomed?

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
Bejersey
Forum ProPosts: 11,735
Like?
I agree!!!
In reply to azma, Dec 10, 2013

azma wrote:

The whole video played fine even sound came out good:-)

lancespring
Like?
In reply to YiannisPP, Dec 10, 2013

YiannisPP wrote:

Looks quite good, less sharp than at base ISOs of course but still very good.

My only observation is that high ISO usually looks better (less noisy) when it's not really needed, i.e. when the light is not that bad. I have a feeling that if the scene brightness was two stops less and you had to use f2.8, then maybe it would not have looked that clean.

I was hoping that sharpness would have looked better than this.  I guess my GH3 has spoiled me.

Hopefully last weekend's nighttime Christmas Festival that was cancelled due to the snow storm will be rescheduled for this coming weekend.  That would give me some good low light subjects to video.

lancespring
Like?
In reply to Ken Ross, Dec 10, 2013

Yes, I shoot nearly all of my video on a tripod.  I've only rarely shot handheld, when it is basically impractical to set up a tripod.

lancespring
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, Dec 10, 2013

elliottnewcomb wrote:

It's inspiring to witness someone who cares to make a difference. Thanks for this. Played perfectly for me.

I am impressed by the quality of the sound from your distance, and the lack of background noise. In another thread, someone mentioned you have to be cautious about picking up your own breathing.

Please tell us your impressions/results with the audio of your videos.

I am quite interested in the audio for music in a small club, and if far away like a school play.

I did not use the built-in mics for this video. The camera's mics are mounted on top of the camera, and do pick up sound equally in all directions. I used a Rode VideoMic Pro shotgun mic for this video. It is quite directional, and great for recording speakers and doing interviews:

This shotgun mic would be fine for a school play. For recording music, though, it is generally considered best to use a stereo microphone. Although I have used it to record music a few times, and it has not done that bad. Here is a video I shot of a singer using the Rode on my GH3 the other week. Shot 1080/24p 50 Mbps IPB MOV, shutter 1/40th, f/3.2, ISO 2500:

Bailee Jordan and her Dad perform Frosty the Snowman

Also, for stills, RX10 can give quite nice shallow DOF. How does that work out for videos when zoomed?

You can do the same in video.

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,348Gear list
Like?
Lance, about the sharpness comment, and another question.

lancespring wrote:

I was hoping that sharpness would have looked better than this. I guess my GH3 has spoiled me.

Do you mean that you think the sensor or processing engine of the RX10 is not up to that of the GH3, or that the GH3 just has sharper lenses available?

Also, do you use a Mac or Windows for your editing? I've had trouble with the new AVCHD on my Mavericks Mac (see my thread in the Digital Video forum), but just discovered that they are handled normally by Windows.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
lancespring
Like?
Re: Lance, about the sharpness comment, and another question.
In reply to Corkcampbell, Dec 11, 2013

Corkcampbell wrote:

lancespring wrote:

I was hoping that sharpness would have looked better than this. I guess my GH3 has spoiled me.

Do you mean that you think the sensor or processing engine of the RX10 is not up to that of the GH3, or that the GH3 just has sharper lenses available?

I would not be able to parse this matter out like that.

Also, do you use a Mac or Windows for your editing? I've had trouble with the new AVCHD on my Mavericks Mac (see my thread in the Digital Video forum), but just discovered that they are handled normally by Windows.

I use Windows.  I had a job in 1990-1991 where I had both a Mac and a PC at my desk.  But I have not touched a Mac since then.

elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,965Gear list
Like?
In reply to lancespring, Dec 11, 2013

Thanks, it is good to know about what works on RX10. Anyone know, would this work on rx100m2 also?

Next, in search of a Stereo one that works well.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads