A hump away from greatness

Started Dec 10, 2013 | User reviews
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383
Like?
A hump away from greatness
Dec 10, 2013

OK guys, as you might know I've now had the much hyped A7 (not R, the "modest" 24MP version) for a week. Actually I've had two of them, the first unit showing severe WB issues (extreme amber/green cast in all modes) it's been graciously replaced by Amazon on request (and within 24H, too), bless their customer service !

So I'll give you the dirt, and this review will be done from the point of view of a long time NEX7 lover (whorshipper would be a better term, I just adore this camera), strict jpeg shooter, and portraitist "horseriding mom" (sorry, I hate soccer, lol).

Let me start with the size and build of that thing, because I have severely ambiguous feelings about that. The size is almost perfect. It's an unbearable perfect too. Because it *should* have been just right, but is not. How close it came from perfection makes it an endless cause of frustration for me. I'll get used to it. Hopefully. If you discount the camel hump housing the EVF for a second, it is only ever so slightly larger than the NEX7. Very close, really. It's thicker and grippier and it feels excellent in the hand. The rubbery parts are grippy and the overall handling experience is very secure, and even comforting. Yet... It lacks the full metal, even "cold" tactile feedback of the N7, and its density too. That's what some people mean by writing it feels hollow. Not really so (the XE-1 feels hollow, big time), the A7 just feels light for what it is, and lack the lovely "brick" feeling of the N7. But overall, I give it 4.5 stars for build and handling. The battery door is still not the sturdiest, but the smart and useful SD housing door is surprisingly well made and feels great.
Now, if ONLY Sony would have kept the RF form factor, with the clean, flat top plate of the N7 with flush wheels, I might have kept this camera for 10 years and never looked at anything else. Instead of what, the humongous and ungraceful hump (it's not so high at all, but just crazy deep) makes me anxiously wait for Sony to announce the next APS-C flagship, hoping it goes back to N7 desing, in which case I'll be all too happy to dump the A7 for one. Yeah, the hump and busy top plate (with raised dials as opposed to flush ones) makes me feel *that* bad. So I said it, it came a fraction of nothing to being fabulous, instead of which I hate its top's design with a passion.
Control wise, Sony got many, many things right. The total of 9 external configurable controls is aplenty, you even have to scratch your head at some point to decide what to assign to which, as it's a wealth of controls. However, as always when Sony does something super cool, they didn't do it quite right. There should be yet more menu options accessible to those hard controls. What about Live Display settings ON/OFF to seamlessly switch between true exposure preview, and LCD gain for flash/studio shooters ?
The biggest gripe in operation you'll find across various boards and reports match mine : magnification in playback. On the N7 you just had to press the large center button from the back wheel, then scroll in and out with any of three TriNavi wheels. One thing that sucked is that you could not jump from shot to shot keeping the same magnification (crazy useful feature). The A7 cleverly allows you to, except you now have to press the small, not so accessible and rather uncomfortable C2 button first, then scroll in an out using the slightly firm and too recessed back top wheel. The front wheel brings you from shot to shot with similar magnigication, and the backwheels cardinal points allow you to move within the image. But turning the backwheel also jumps from shot to shot. It would be much better to allow users to configure the large back button to enter magnification (à la N7), then make the thumbwheel scroll in and out, as it is loser and nicer to turn than the top backwheel ! I really hope this can be addressed in a future (but not distant) FW update, as it is a complain I've seen shared by a great number of users.
One other thing every A7 owner will tell you, is how thoroughly useless both user manuals are. Yes, the puny one Sony throws in the box (useful in case you don't know how to insert a battery or connect a lens, duh !) and the more detailed one that you can fetch on the net. Both are total crap.
There really are a bunch of subtelties and even niceties on this camera that you simply will come across by yourself, playing with it. Like I discovered that pressing the large center button in Shoot mode brings (unless you chose to change it) up the AF point options, for quick moving within the frame or even changing the AF box size. Very handy !
The Fn menu is godsend with its 12 (or 6 if that's enough for you) assignable functions. It pretty much denies the need to dig into menu, unless for those useful options that I wish Sony would have made accessible, like APS-C crop (ON, Auto, OFF), Live View Display settings (ON; OFF) and a few others.
A word about the physical exposure compensation wheel. It is ONLY there and useful because 1) Sony wants to make this camera look like an Fuji X Pro or Oly E-M1 (oh yes there is a retro complex going on here) and 2) Auto ISO is available in Manual Mode, and only truly useful if you have a live exposure compensation dial to fine tune it with. But again, I would have been MUCH happier if it'd been flush in the top plate instead of sticking out like a sore thumb, and slightly more dampened, too. I have to say I do believe all dials, knobs, and even LCD assembly, losen with time and use, which is a great thing. Everything is securely slightly stiff out of the box to prevent users moaning about accidental setting chances, which I understand. Personally I'd rather put up with the odd unwanted tweak of a setting and gain buttery operation of dials in the process
Am I a fan of Auto ISO in Manual mode (considering I should full time Manual) ? Well... no. The idea sure is appealing enough. But in real life the -/+3 O.3EV compensation steps are not always enough to go where you want from what exposure the camera has chosen, or for whatever reason the live exposure preview doesn't seem as reliable using this mode as it is in Manual with fixed ISO. Regarding Auto ISO in other modes, it lacks minimum shutter speed setting to be truly useful, so I'd pretty much leave it unused. If the ability to set a minimum SS arised in a future FW, it'll be a great improvement in my view (and come on, Nikon has offered that even on its cheapest models for as long as I can remember).
Now some good news : both the new EVF and larger LCD screen are crazy beautiful and a vast improvement over the N7's. And for manual focusers via Peaking like me (over 80% of my pictures are taken this way), I am blissful to report that this camera makes focus peaking even more useful, and manual focusing even much easier, thanks to those huge and gorgeous screen and EVF. The shutter sound, which has caused a lot of concussion over the web, is rather loud, but very dull, and more like a long and low THUD that drags on for a good hald second. In the dim indoor riding arena I shoot in, it was accompanied by a crazy shutter black out that made the camera stupidly useless (or close). I'll make sure to turn image review off next time I shoot there, which drastically improves things.
I know you probably want to hear about AF performance. In good light it is excellent, and that comes from someone who has bitched and ranted about NEX AF forever, and switched to 80% manual focusing because of it. The A7 focuses almost instantly with AF lenses in good light. In dim light things slow down considerably, but I'd still consider it ahead of any NEX. So that's good news. Is it suited for sports though ? Absolutely not, unless you're using the SLT LA-EA4 adapter with a motor driven lens, which I do, with much success (in my case the magnificent Sigma EX 70-200/2.8 HSM DG Macro II, my favorite AF lens on this planet).
Much has been written about the "mushy" or "lose" shutter release. I'd describe it as bottomless. There is no definite "click" feeling when you depress it halfway, then when you keep on pushing your finger suddenly "falls in", and you've taken the shot. It takes a while getting used to, but in a counter intuitive kind of way it IS sensitive, and therefore subtle in operation, and I do like it. It also means if you have keen control of your index, you can set the camera to Continuous shooting but only take a shot at a time. The shutter release position is unusual but never bothered me at all, and I LOVE the little metal ON/OFF switch around it, that feels crazy sturdy and even luxurious. Very cool. The strap lugs are a non issue for me. The LCD hinge feels a little awkward/cheap out of the box, I suspect it gets much better after some months of tilting in and out.
I cannot end this review without talking about IQ of course, but I want to address WB issues first. All my NEX cameras did a decent job of getting acceptable WB, and as a strict jpeg shooter, you can trust me on how paramountly umportant it is to me. The A7 does a much poorer job of that, I think. The first unit I had showed a crazy amber/green cast in all WB presets, and even in custom readings. It also had some other IQ issues like detail smearing and noise, so obviously a not so good copy. I'm much, much happier with the second one. WB is acceptable. It's not great, but it's dealable with. I've assigned WB to the bottom spot of the thumbheel to be as close in operation a possible to my N7 (where it was set to lower soft key), and tweaking it is fast and easy enough. You now have three separate Custom settings that you can store, which is very handy, but rather poorly implemented in my view, so if you're not careful to select which you can to tweak, you'll end up re-writing the first one over and again.
IQ ? What can I say. Good, solid FF chip. DxO says a bit lagging behind D600 for noise performance and I agree with that totally. Only a marginal difference though, and about two stops better than my N7, which would be about one solid step better than the NEX6. Beware though, this camera is crazy demanding with lenses, and it's not even a resolution thing, as my N7 also has 24mp. I think light hits that larger sensor at a different angle than it does on the APS-C chip, and I see a lot of my older lenses not performing as well as they do on the N7. Flare and haze become and issue with lenses not exhibiting them on APS-C, so keep that in mind. I also find the jpeg output to be slightly softer than the N7, making it noticeably softer than the N6 (which still has the best IQ of all E mount cameras that I've tried, so far, though maybe the cheapo A3000 might top it, but I couldn't say as I never shot it).
Am I saying that the A3000 might have better out of the box IQ than the A7 ?!? No, but I am saying that that FF chip is demanding, and will not do any miracle work on anybody's photographing skills, all the opposite in fact. It's a trickier camera to "get right" than the N7 is, in my view. The best thing about it for me is the humongous, amazing Dynamic Range, it is crazy beautiful (better than the D600's IMO). I loved in on the N7, and I love it even more on this cam. The extra subject isolation given by FF is very sweet to have, and the camera totally displays the "FF goodness" DOF junkies like me are after. No problem here. The 3:2 ratio screen is much better to have than the weird 16:9 of any NEX. Yet handling and operation are not as fluid or seamless due to the Frankenstein design, and more elaborate UI. The N7, which appeared like a complex camera with its smart but subtle TriNavi System, now seems utterly straightforward and basic to me.
So what is my final word on the A7 ? It's a brilliant camera, VERY well priced for what it is (a bargain, actually), and thoroughly ruined (for me) by its overall, SLR like design. It would have been an out of this world machine in RF form factor, and I stand by that. I haven't mentioned the lack of lenses because I workaround that by using my existing E mount optics, legacy glass and the LA-EA4 adapter. I knew about the inexistant and outrageously priced lens line up before buying it and my philososphy about that is : if you can't live with(out) it, then just look elsewhere.
I hope this little review was useful to you. Whether or not I'll be able to live with the Hump in the long run is yet to be seen, but your tolerance about it may vary, so pick one up for yourself, and make your own mind.

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.
http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

Marla2008's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
okay
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
mediocre
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 923Gear list
Like?
Re: A hump away from greatness
In reply to Marla2008, Dec 10, 2013

Great write-up - long but a good read

My N7 will be my only camera for a while yet but keeping an eye on the A7 as a very tempting future proposition. Yet to have it in my hands but looking at pictures of the camera I don't find the (notorious) hump so offensive.

In the meantime, I'll be looking out for what get fixed by firmware updates and hope to see many more photos from your A7 and interesting lens collection!

Thanks

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NEXFULLFRAME
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?

What about Live Display settings ON/OFF to seamlessly switch between true exposure preview, and LCD gain for flash/studio shooters

This. When I go from shooting no-flash to studio/wireless flash I shouldn't need to menu-dive to get to the Live View Display -> setting effect.

Also what happened to the center button for review magnification to check critical focus. So much easier than trying to hit C2. At least make it programmable like zoom

Ralph46
Senior MemberPosts: 1,182Gear list
Like?

Marla,

You have a lot of good points, but I have to agree that the main one about the "hump" is the one that concerns me by far the most. I loved the RF styling of the NEX7 when it came out and could hardly believe that they could fit an almost perfect EVF into that small space available. When the N6 came out with the familiar DSLR-like mode wheel I got it at once and still love it.

The hump was once necessary for housing the original SLR pentaprism (except Oly PenF half-frame). For mirrorless it is basically useless except for housing a good flash (which the A7 apparently doesn't have). So what's the point? Canon and Nikon DSLRs still have the hump because of the mirror and therefore need a pentaprism or pentamirror (horrible little OVF size).

It seems to me that Sony only included it on the A7 because they think most users want a camera looking like a "real" expensive DSLR. I'm glad the N6 doesn't look like this and that it is a design understatement. I'd love this for an A7 as well. Perhaps that is the minority opinion.

And the hump is a nisance because the way I put my cameras in my bags it increases the required depth.

Cheers,

Ralph

Ralph46's gear list:Ralph46's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 14,043Gear list
Like?
Claire: excellent summary - lucid and up to the point, and...

...if you'd allow me to paraphrase:

• few empty line-feeds away from greatness

A bit of white space would greatly improve readability of the whole (if it is available for user reviews on DPR?),

EDIT: and yeah, that horrid hump is a big, big, big mistake; as so is the lack of flush top plate, and... the lack of a built-in flash, the minimal SS in auto-ISO, and very many tiny other things which singly and alone might feel like grain of grit in an intimate situation, but all together lower the final user's satisfaction from just greatness too only good enough

best,

jpr2

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,879Gear list
Like?

The problem with some FF lenses is that APS-C uses the sweet centre of the lens but FF is more demanding of the edges.

The centre hump does change the profile of the camera but it does have one advantage in that it elevates the hot-shoe giving better clearance for external mounted flashes which otherwise tend to cast lens shadows  especially when using longer lenses.

The  frustration that I feel when reading about the A7's is that I know that it will be some time before I get to handle one.

Marla2008
Like?
In reply to Ralph46, Dec 10, 2013

Ralph46 wrote:

Marla,

You have a lot of good points, but I have to agree that the main one about the "hump" is the one that concerns me by far the most. I loved the RF styling of the NEX7 when it came out and could hardly believe that they could fit an almost perfect EVF into that small space available. When the N6 came out with the familiar DSLR-like mode wheel I got it at once and still love it.

The hump was once necessary for housing the original SLR pentaprism (except Oly PenF half-frame). For mirrorless it is basically useless except for housing a good flash (which the A7 apparently doesn't have). So what's the point? Canon and Nikon DSLRs still have the hump because of the mirror and therefore need a pentaprism or pentamirror (horrible little OVF size).

It seems to me that Sony only included it on the A7 because they think most users want a camera looking like a "real" expensive DSLR. I'm glad the N6 doesn't look like this and that it is a design understatement. I'd love this for an A7 as well. Perhaps that is the minority opinion.

And the hump is a nisance because the way I put my cameras in my bags it increases the required depth.

Cheers,

Ralph

Ralph, in Sony's defense, I think they could not possibly fit the newer, bigger, and much improved EVF and the larger screen on such a smallish body without using the hump. Now, all those three elements : big FF chip, huge EVF, improved bigger 3:2 screen, which two would be my choice if they were to fit in a N7 shaped body ?? I'll tell you right away, as much as as I love FF, that I'd happily abandon the larger chip and be happy with an improved APS-C one if I could have the new EVF and new screen in a slightly larger, but still N7 shaped body. They might even be able to re-fit the built in flash on it and I'd be in Heaven

-- hide signature --

Marla2008
Like?
Re: Claire: excellent summary - lucid and up to the point, and...
In reply to jpr2, Dec 10, 2013

jpr2 wrote:

...if you'd allow me to paraphrase:

• few empty line-feeds away from greatness

A bit of white space would greatly improve readability of the whole (if it is available for user reviews on DPR?),

EDIT: and yeah, that horrid hump is a big, big, big mistake; as so is the lack of flush top plate, and... the lack of a built-in flash, the minimal SS in auto-ISO, and very many tiny other things which singly and alone might feel like grain of grit in an intimate situation, but all together lower the final user's satisfaction from just greatness too only good enough

best,

jpr2

I apologize for that !! I copied and pasted my text from another board, and I didn't check its appearance before hitting the Post button !

-- hide signature --

verybiglebowski
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,313Gear list
Like?
Thanks for review,

I have absolutely same feelings about the design. Maybe a bit more radical, as I am considering to cut off that terrible camel hump as you named it.

It reminds me to car tunning using those stupid spoilers that doesn't do nothing except saying "my owner thinks he is a macho, but in reality he is..." thing.

Or let's put it otherway around - it seems that we users are considered to be completely dumb, because we should believe that pentaprism means DSLR and DSLR means "real camera". I would expect a bit more confidence in the users IQ with a camera based on top IQ, where size and form are supposed to be one of the strongest selling arguments.

I wouldn't agree with you on the build quality, though. Unlike the design, build quality IMO is functional but nothing more than that. There is simply a feeling of dealing with cheap product, at least in comparison with NEX7. It starts with the box (remember that elegant NEX 7 original kit box?), with no battery charger included, and ends up with "hollow" feeling, plasticky looking rubber coating for the grip and hard, pre-mounted viewfinder extension. There is very little saying "style and quality" about A7. A7r has just slightly better tactile feeling, due to the magnesium front plate and all-metal dials. On the other hand, I tried recently Nikon Df in the store, and I was shocked with its useless design (fat body), and hollow feeling. It seems that big empty light bodies are becomming a trend in the industry.

Time will tell, but I certainly don't feel that those cameras are build to last, unlike NEX 7, or even all plastic NEX 5N. I hope that I'll be proven wrong at this point. It will also help if Sony announce for how many actuations their shutter (and other mechanical parts used for exposure) were tested.

Finally - zooming in the image using C2 is a real PITA but you can also use that little AF/MF-AEL button to zoom out. It might be held or pressed to change enlarging ratio, which I somehow like a bit more than a back wheel.

Anyway, your findings are very much in line with mine and thank you for writing them down in a nice review.

All the best,

Viktor

-- hide signature --

Don't trust your eyes or mind, they might betray you! Trust only comments posted on the forums, because there is the absolute truth!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/

Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,583Gear list
Like?

Claire, thanks for the effort, a great and interesting read, and I am glad that you decided to keep the (2nd) A7

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +18 more
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,916Gear list
Like?

Thank you for writing and posting such a careful and intelligent review

Thank you also for making it clear what a mistake Sony's change of body styling is for current NEX owners

Marla2008
Like?
Re: Thanks for review,
In reply to verybiglebowski, Dec 10, 2013

verybiglebowski wrote:

Finally - zooming in the image using C2 is a real PITA but you can also use that little AF/MF-AEL button to zoom out. It might be held or pressed to change enlarging ratio, which I somehow like a bit more than a back wheel.

Thanks for that Viktor !! I don't find it much more comfortable than the scrolling out with back wheel, but it's nice to have at least an alternative.

-- hide signature --

vagtanklan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,353Gear list
Like?

I am happy with the design, weight and feel of the A7 - even though it feels much more plasticy in real life than what I had expected, in the grand scheme of things it hardly matters. It's pretty ironic that the NEX-6 both looks, and feels tougher.

But on certain points I do agree with you Marla. Magnification in preview mode is simply infuriatingly useless in it's current guise. Also, I am annoyed by the lack of direct access to focal point selection and a useful AutoISO mode. Using M-mode is a workaround - and a barely usable one at that.

I guess one can tell by these gripes that I have been using Nikon for a while

vagtanklan's gear list:vagtanklan's gear list
Nikon D40 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +8 more
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,204Gear list
Like?
Great review!

Great review! Personal but insightful.

I'd guess that any FF flare/haze issues couldn't be due to any different angles - it's the same e-mount after all - but is possibly due to the sensor size and extra light (total light = exposure x sensor area). Or to look at it another way, the APS-C crop we're used to on NEX provided a slight contrast/flare control benefit (as well as the central "sweet spot" sharpness). I know my FF legacy lenses often exhibit contrast reduction on the NEX with Lens Turbo focal reducer.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

Marla2008
Like?
In reply to vagtanklan, Dec 10, 2013

vagtanklan wrote:

But on certain points I do agree with you Marla. Magnification in preview mode is simply infuriatingly useless in it's current guise. Also, I am annoyed by the lack of direct access to focal point selection and a useful AutoISO mode. Using M-mode is a workaround - and a barely usable one at that.

I guess one can tell by these gripes that I have been using Nikon for a while

In shooting mode, just hit the center button if it's still set to "standard" option, and you'll immediately have access to AF point size, and position, via the thumbwheel. Pretty well implemented I think.

-- hide signature --

KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?

If you take off the hump, you lose the nice EVF....no thanks, I'll keep the hump. I need that EVF.

Thanks for the in-depth review.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Marla2008
Like?
In reply to KwhyChang, Dec 10, 2013

KwhyChang wrote:

If you take off the hump, you lose the nice EVF....no thanks, I'll keep the hump. I need that EVF.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Or, you keep the nice EVF, but you use a smaller sized, APS-C chip, and go back to the N7's "brick" shape. I'll take that anyday over the humped A7 !

-- hide signature --

parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,916Gear list
Like?

Marla2008 wrote:

KwhyChang wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dave

Or, you keep the nice EVF, but you use a smaller sized, APS-C chip, and go back to the N7's "brick" shape. I'll take that anyday over the humped A7 !

Yes, exactly

Back in the day I wanted a Full-Frame camera for A-mount and for Pentax K-mount because those camera systems were *designed* for full-frame and the good wide-angle lenses were all full frame ones, which is why I bought the FF A900 and was/still am pretty happy with it in A-mount

I was excited by the concept of FF E-mount at first because of the thought of using legacy RF lenses with the small NEX bodies at full potential, making a compact and affordable system (FF NEX-7 body with Contax G28, G45 & G90 - cool!), but tests of the wider RF lenses suggest performance wider than 35mm in most cases isn't so good with the current generation of sensors so really we need to look at using the A7 with the FE lenses if we want to get full benefit from it... lenses which do not currently exist (unlike the FF legacy A-mount, Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc systems) and that's where the problems start

Not only are the FE lenses expensive and currently unavailable, but they are also much bigger than the equivalent APS-C lenses... as seemingly are the FF bodies

I wanted NEX for compactness, otherwise I would just get an FF Canon or Nikon body and a good zoom or two from that system and have done. The pentaprism bulge does not make the A7 compact, it means that it has the same horizontal and vertical dimensions as a small APS-C DSLR, and having carried one around with me for some years (a Pentax *ist DS - same height and width as the A7) I know that it is much more annoying sizewise than my NEX-5

The NEX concept just seems to suit APS-C far better than the FF system because of size and cost. Putting an 36MB sensor in a NEX-5 body might work because you still get 14MP at APS-C like on the original NEX-5 and a bunch of different aspect ratios within the circle of confusion, and the possibility to play with FF legacy lenses, but in contrast to the NEX system, that is seemingly not what is offered by Sony in the new FF system

And a DSLR-size body partnered with large, $1000-a-piece lenses is really not a system I want to see NEX changing into

Having said that, I would still get an A7 or similar if somebody made a good, AF-supporting Pentax adaptor, but then it would be dedicated to my Pentax lenses, and only because Pentax do not currently make an FF body (If Pentax made an FF body I would buy that instead). I would not be buying any FE lenses to go with it (I already have the focal lengths and quality I want in Pentax) and I think Sony are not really too interested in that type of sale

Marla2008
Like?
And a note about lenses...
In reply to parallaxproblem, Dec 10, 2013

As a side note, and I'm almost shying away from writing this, here's the dirt about lenses :

I bought the A7 in the main intention to use my fine, cherry picked, and terrific legacy lenses on it "to their full potential", or so I thought. Well, I though wrong ! Sure, they do get their original field of view back, but their IQ is pretty much destroyed in the process. When I first started testing the A7 I was pretty (no, very) underwhelmed by the output. I thought 'Naah, that can't be it", and yet I was using y best, most carefully chosen SLR lenses. Then, out of curiosity for AF speed, I slapped the SEL35 (which is a good, no nonsense lens on NEX but isn't spectacular either) on it and Shabang ! All the sudden the crazy resolution, clarity and sharpness I had hoped to see from the A7 jumped at me.

So here is the very paradoxal situation. This sensor is waayyyyy better with native lenses. Except there are almost none ! And the ones that exist are either very limited in speed, or scandalously expensive, or both ! NOT a good situation, if you ask me. I'm *not* saying no older SLR lens can survive on the A7. Some can. My modest Minolta 50/1.4 MD is absolutely brilliant on it (but still not as good as the lowly SEL35 though, food for thought...). My beloved PEN38 does he job, very well, too. It does lose a smidge of IQ vs. the N7, but not that much. But the one that truly suffers is my super cautiously chosen between several units OM50/1.8. This lens is *bleedingly* sharp, with top ideal contrast, on N7, on A7 it becomes instantly somewhat hazy, and downright soft. Go figure...

-- hide signature --

martindesu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015Gear list
Like?
In reply to KwhyChang, Dec 10, 2013

KwhyChang wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dave

How does my NEX-7 work then

Seriously though, I was annoyed by this design choice... and still am.

-- hide signature --
 martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads