question about image that you get from a 8mm fisheye on a full frame

Started 7 months ago | Questions
RoxanneY
Regular MemberPosts: 488Gear list
Like?
question about image that you get from a 8mm fisheye on a full frame
7 months ago

Hi!

So I've recently become obsessed with the coolness of fisheye pics and my hubby says that he'll get me one for my Christmas present, but that I have to tell him exactly which one to get. 

Can someone tell me if my a99 will give me a fully circular image if I choose a Rokinon/Bower 8mm fisheye without a hood?  I've been reading around and someone mentioned that it is "nearly" a circular image which is not what I want.

I'm also considering asking for a 16mm since it's been so highly touted here, but I really would rather have a fully circular image.

Thanks all in advance for your help!

Roxanne

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RoxanneY
Like?
Re: question about image that you get from a 8mm fisheye on a full frame
In reply to RoxanneY, 7 months ago

Also I would love to have a get an F2.8 if possible and see that these are only being made for the E mounts.  Should I consider this using a A to E mount adapter?

Any recommendations on the best or better one to get/do would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Roxanne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
falconsusi
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?

The Sigma 8mm fisheye is reported to give a full circular image on full-frame. Reports say it is not fully circular on cropped cameras.

I don't have a full-frame camera, but I do have a full circular fisheye and a diagonal fisheye for my cropped cameras. You might hear several people who prefer diagonal fisheyes, but I love having the full circular image.

Go for it! The circular fisheye I own is actually an adapter for my Sigma 18-250 that I bought with the filter adapter for under $50. Used at exclusively 18mm it produces full circle images. I use it way more than my Sigma 10mm diagonal fisheye.

-- hide signature --
IanML
Contributing MemberPosts: 982
Like?

RoxanneY wrote:

Also I would love to have a get an F2.8 if possible and see that these are only being made for the E mounts. Should I consider this using a A to E mount adapter?

Your camera is an A-mount. It is not possible to make an adapter for E-mount lenses to be used on A-mount without inclusion of an extra lens system, which is why such an adapter is not available.

The reverse, i.e. an adapter to use A-mount lenses  on E-Mount, is not a problem, and there are plenty to choose from.  You may have been confused by these.

-- hide signature --

Ian

alanlinde
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
In reply to IanML, 7 months ago

Please see this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3580236

Alan

MediaArchivist
Contributing MemberPosts: 868Gear list
Like?
Another thread
In reply to alanlinde, 7 months ago
 MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +15 more
RoxanneY
Like?
In reply to falconsusi, 7 months ago

falconsusi wrote:

The Sigma 8mm fisheye is reported to give a full circular image on full-frame. Reports say it is not fully circular on cropped cameras.

I don't have a full-frame camera, but I do have a full circular fisheye and a diagonal fisheye for my cropped cameras. You might hear several people who prefer diagonal fisheyes, but I love having the full circular image.

Go for it! The circular fisheye I own is actually an adapter for my Sigma 18-250 that I bought with the filter adapter for under $50. Used at exclusively 18mm it produces full circle images. I use it way more than my Sigma 10mm diagonal fisheye.

-- hide signature --

Thanks Falcon!

I don't think we want to spend quite that much on it since it is just for fun.  Can I assume that the Rokinon 8mm would perform much like the Sigma 8mm?

Roxanne

MediaArchivist
Like?
Sigma 8mm?

Sigma no longer makes an 8mm fisheye for the A-mount, do you mean for the E-mount (or 10mm)?

Check out the full list of what's available here, there are plenty of sample photos from many different A-mount cameras:

Dyxum index of fixed focal A-mount lenses

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +15 more
RoxanneY
Like?
In reply to IanML, 7 months ago

IanML wrote:

RoxanneY wrote:

Also I would love to have a get an F2.8 if possible and see that these are only being made for the E mounts. Should I consider this using a A to E mount adapter?

Your camera is an A-mount. It is not possible to make an adapter for E-mount lenses to be used on A-mount without inclusion of an extra lens system, which is why such an adapter is not available.

The reverse, i.e. an adapter to use A-mount lenses on E-Mount, is not a problem, and there are plenty to choose from. You may have been confused by these.

-- hide signature --

Ian

Thanks Ian!

I was confused. 

Roxanne

RoxanneY
Like?
In reply to alanlinde, 7 months ago

alanlinde wrote:

Please see this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3580236

Alan

Thanks Alan!

A picture is worth a thousand words.  The Rokinon 8mm fisheye does not give a fully circular image.  I guess the only way to get one is to cut it out in photoshop. 

Roxanne

RoxanneY
Like?
Re: Sigma 8mm?
In reply to MediaArchivist, 7 months ago

MediaArchivist wrote:

Sigma no longer makes an 8mm fisheye for the A-mount, do you mean for the E-mount (or 10mm)?

Check out the full list of what's available here, there are plenty of sample photos from many different A-mount cameras:

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

Hi MediaArchivist!

I found this:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/8mm-f35-ex-dg-circular-fisheye

Thanks for the Dyxum link!

Roxanne

RoxanneY
Like?
Re: Sigma 8mm?

RoxanneY wrote:

MediaArchivist wrote:

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

Hi MediaArchivist!

I found this:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/8mm-f35-ex-dg-circular-fisheye

Thanks for the Dyxum link!

Roxanne

oops, wrong mount.  guess Rokinon is my only option. 

RussAdams
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?
Advantage of Rokinon/Samyang is it's rectilinear format

RoxanneY wrote:

Can I assume that the Rokinon 8mm would perform much like the Sigma 8mm?

Roxanne

Hi Roxanne:

The Rokinon is a rectilinear fisheye. You will not see as much distortion as with a classic Fisheye.

If you are looking for that really distorted look the Rokinon/Samyang does not quite go there.

The *advantage* of the Rokinon is the ability to adjust (in post processing) the resulting image so it comes out with a 'normal' perspective. So you can get super wide angle shots without the really odd perspective.

Ken Rockwell reviews the lens here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/8mm-f35.htm

It can be used to really good effect. But not that really round ball fisheye.

I truly enjoy my copy. And it's slightly bigger brother the 14mm Samyang.

A77 though, not FF.

Russ

RussAdams's gear list:RussAdams's gear list
Sony SLT-A77
RoxanneY
Like?
Re: Advantage of Rokinon/Samyang is it's rectilinear format
In reply to RussAdams, 7 months ago

RussAdams wrote:

RoxanneY wrote:

Can I assume that the Rokinon 8mm would perform much like the Sigma 8mm?

Roxanne

Hi Roxanne:

The Rokinon is a rectilinear fisheye. You will not see as much distortion as with a classic Fisheye.

If you are looking for that really distorted look the Rokinon/Samyang does not quite go there.

The *advantage* of the Rokinon is the ability to adjust (in post processing) the resulting image so it comes out with a 'normal' perspective. So you can get super wide angle shots without the really odd perspective.

Ken Rockwell reviews the lens here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/8mm-f35.htm

It can be used to really good effect. But not that really round ball fisheye.

I truly enjoy my copy. And it's slightly bigger brother the 14mm Samyang.

A77 though, not FF.

Russ

Thank you Russ!

I guess I'll give it a try.  I think it will be fun enough. 

Roxanne

MediaArchivist
Like?
I think the correct term is stereographic?
In reply to RussAdams, 7 months ago

http://photoropter.berlios.de/phtrdoc/techback_geom.html

Whatever the term, I agree it is a more "even" projection. The edges are not squished as much.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

RoxanneY
Like?
Re: I think the correct term is stereographic?

MediaArchivist wrote:

http://photoropter.berlios.de/phtrdoc/techback_geom.html

Whatever the term, I agree it is a more "even" projection. The edges are not squished as much.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

Ah, so the Peleng is a truer fisheye than the Rokinon.

Thanks MediaArchivist!!!

MikeInOr
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?
Re: I think the correct term is stereographic?

I loved playing with fisheye effects way back when I used to shoot film on my Maxxum 7000. I bought one of those .42x wide angle extension lenses that screws into the filter threads of pretty much any lens.

Originally I put the .42x extension on my 50mm 1.8 which does not cause a fisheye effect. I liked the wide angle capability of this combo so much I bought a 24mm prime lens. Then I decided to put the .42x on the 24mm lens and the combo made a beautiful fisheye effect. When I picked up a 24-70 zoom I put the .42 extension on it and had a bit of a zoomable fisheye. All for about $50 for the .42x extension.

Just a thought on a way to get a really cheap way to get a fisheye lens. Fisheyes are fun to play with but I found I would never use one enough to invest serious money in one.

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony 20mm F2.8 Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +5 more
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,769
Like?

According to this you are out of luck.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?chbLensType=1

All the 8mm full frame fisheye's are out of production. Looks like only Sigma ever made a circular fisheye for full frame A mount cameras.

The 8mm Samyangs are aps-c diagonal fisheye lenses so I assume that would not give a full circle on full frame. Looking at their web site here

http://www.samyang-lens.co.uk/samyang-8mm-f35-fisheye-csii-dh-lens.html

It says:

On Full frame cameras, it produces a vignetted image, which is almost circular with the lens hood detached.

So it is not a true circular fish eye on FF

falconsusi
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
add on lens
In reply to MikeInOr, 7 months ago

This is what I use on my cropped camera. Zeikos 0.18x fish eye adapter .

Roxanne - I noticed you have the a550 and an 18-55 lens. With the adapter above selling for $37 at amazon you could know cheaply if a more expensive fish eye is what you want. Or you could just have cheap fun with this combo. To give you the circular image you will need to be able to keep your lens at 18mm. You will also need a 55 to 58mm step up ring which can be bought for $3 on ebay 55-58 step up ring

Here are a few old examples of me using this adapter on my 18-250 lens

Unedited straight from camera. I love fish eye portraits. Me and my mom on the blue ridge parkway in the rain.

Fairly sharp. Edges not bad. This pic is edited around the edges to not show the lens barrel (see above photo)

Skin sharpening and other stuff. Fun fish eye face! Me

Just to show some distortion

Sort of edited in photoshop. I like lens flare so I kept it in this photo when I edited it to get rid of most of the barrel.

Not bad for a cheap adapter!

You have reminded me of how much fun I have with this lens. I have to get it out again soon.

-- hide signature --
Renato1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,318Gear list
Like?
8mm Peleng Lens

Maybe what you are after is the 8mm true fisheye Peleng lens which is also reviewed at Dyxum
http://www.dyxum.com/columns/articles/lenses/peleng/peleng_8mm_fisheye_review.asp

It is sold all the time on Ebay. Though I wasn't that pleased with the M42 adapter that came with it, and I sand papered it down to make it thinner and the lens closer to the camera. And you have to remember to set the camera to work without a lens attached, since it doesn't recognise that a lens is attached.

Believe it or not I have the Peleng lens and I have the A900, but I cannot really answer your question as I've never tried using the two together. This is mainly because I've been using Nikon fisheye adapters on my point and shoot cameras for the nice circular fisheye images.

Main problem with the lens in APS cameras was that images at the dark edges were never sharp, and there might be some internal refelection there as well. But this was easily fixed by cropping. Just use the ellipse tool in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. It is usually the alternate to the rectangle tool, where pressing the Shift key limits the tool to drawing circles or squares.
Just cut the circular image out (leaving off the edge distortions) and paste it into a prepared blank image of a certain size.

One advantage of having a true fisheye lens is that you can get programs which let you unwrap them into standard photos if you should want to (not that I ever wanted to).

Regards,

Renato

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads