DSLR without AF

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 927Gear list
Like?
DSLR without AF
Dec 10, 2013

Curious if this is a thing... Shopping for a new camera and they all have AF mode. Don't need or want. I would like to know if anyone else would buy a DSLR without AF?. Wouldn't it be noticeably less expensive without the electronics and such required? Give me a FF SLR that only shoots static subjects!

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 600D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +1 more
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,713Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR without AF
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, Dec 10, 2013

Another addition to the lineup of 'Wouldn't it be cheaper to have a camera without ...

I hope this thread is meant ironically.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,668
Like?

ApertureAcolyte wrote:  Curious if this is a thing... Shopping for a new camera and they all have AF mode. Don't need or want. I would like to know if anyone else would buy a DSLR without AF?. Wouldn't it be noticeably less expensive without the electronics and such required? Give me a FF SLR that only shoots static subjects!

For most DSLRs you can use an M42 screw-fit lens with an adapter and in many cases, that means manual focus only.  Why not use that option?  I only ever use manual everything so whether my camera has AF or Programmes - as long as it has Manual Mode - that's all that matters to me.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Nigel Wilkins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Wouldn't it be noticeably less expensive without the electronics and such required?

Unlikely.  Price is affected more by mass production than the number of parts required.  Hence you can buy a whole car brand new for less then a high end digital back (which also has no AF...in fact, no F at all!

-- hide signature --

nigelwilkinsphotography.com
Everything to do with the art of photography is a guideline. The only rules are generally enforced by the police.

AlphaTikal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,545Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, Dec 10, 2013

Mass production is the keyword. Its not economical to produce a new workflow for every possible setup. And I thinks the user base of an MF only camera would be very low. Just add very little more and buy AF camera and that is a huge step. You can ignore AF, if you really not need it. But I think you can just forget the idea of having a top camera from today and MF only.

Off course MF only would mean simpler, lighter and cheaper cameras and lenses -- in theory.
--
· http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackhole_eater/
· (All photos are creative common licensed. Check them out.)
· English is not my native language.

AlphaTikal's gear list:AlphaTikal's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Sony SLT-A65 +10 more
MJJSevilla
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?

While this is supposed to be ironic and a reference to the thread about video, the two aren´t really comparable. A genuinely manual DSLR would give a totally different experience that some people might prefer as it offers a different approach to photography. The Leica experience suggests that such a thing would be economically beyond the reach of most.....

I think I´d personally prefer a camera that offered direct access to the key photographic functions and pushed everything else into menus.  I never use video except twice a year maybe, but its there on my camera for when I need it, but invisibly without using up buttons and camera space that are better spent on other things (for me).

Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,543Gear list
Like?
Just don't use it, right?

I mnean, how difficult can that be?

Regards, Mike

PS: Sprinkle a couple of through the text if you really want to...

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM +8 more
Pontoneer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,040Gear list
Like?

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Curious if this is a thing... Shopping for a new camera and they all have AF mode. Don't need or want. I would like to know if anyone else would buy a DSLR without AF?. Wouldn't it be noticeably less expensive without the electronics and such required? Give me a FF SLR that only shoots static subjects!

My DSLR bodies have AF capability , but the vast majority of my lenses are SMC-M from my film days .

I never saw the point of AF for still image photography , and never saw any need to upgrade from my two Pentax LX cameras after they started producing AF cameras .

Only when I got my first *istD body did I get my first AF lens ( the kit lens ) ; then I got three more . After a while the novelty wore off , I realised that AF lenses are bigger and heavier than the equivalent MF lenses , so I reverted to using my jewel like SMC Takumar primes . I did subsequently buy an MZ-S film body with AF , only because it turned up in a dealers I use in mint condition and at a very good price ; it too works very nicely with manual lenses , even though it does have fast , reliable and accurate AF .

I don't expect to get a MF body nowadays , but I am happy using my manual focus prime lenses on any new DSLR body .

AF is there for those who like to use it , those who don't , don't have to .

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-01 Pentax *ist D Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +37 more
Pontoneer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,040Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zone8, Dec 10, 2013

Zone8 wrote:

ApertureAcolyte wrote: Curious if this is a thing... Shopping for a new camera and they all have AF mode. Don't need or want. I would like to know if anyone else would buy a DSLR without AF?. Wouldn't it be noticeably less expensive without the electronics and such required? Give me a FF SLR that only shoots static subjects!

For most DSLRs you can use an M42 screw-fit lens with an adapter and in many cases, that means manual focus only. Why not use that option? I only ever use manual everything so whether my camera has AF or Programmes - as long as it has Manual Mode - that's all that matters to me.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Why M42 with an adaptor ?

Most makes will have a native lens mount with manual lenses that can be used . I have a sizeable collection of K mount SMC-M lenses that fit straight onto my bodies without messing about with adaptors .

Most other makes will surely have some useable legacy lenses ?

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-01 Pentax *ist D Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +37 more
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,610Gear list
Like?
That would actually be good for something

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

While I'm fairly sure your post is meant as irony, a DSLR without AF could have a much better viewfinder than current models because you wouldn't be losing light to the AF system. You could have a great viewfinder like an old manual SLR and actually be able to focus manually. So this would be a useful camera to the 7 people who would buy one.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,456
Like?
for the thousadnth time

Custom making a limited production camera for YOUR needs will increase the cost so much no one would buy it - driving to cost up further. Wanna pay $10,000 or more? Why do you think Leica is so expensive?

One product that does everything is cheap, because so many people will buy it. It's about the production quantity, not necessary the features.

Maybe you should team up with the guy who doesn't want video, or the guy who doesn't want AE, or the guy who doesn't want auto-anything.

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 32,306
Like?

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Try a Leica M. Not a SLR but does have interchangeable lenses. Not, however, 'less expensive'.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,502Gear list
Like?
So just don't use AF...

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

It can be turned off, whether the AF motor is built in to the body or the lenses.  I know of no modern interchangeable-lens system that doesn't offer AF.

Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Curious if this is a thing... Shopping for a new camera and they all have AF mode. Don't need or want. I would like to know if anyone else would buy a DSLR without AF?.

Not enough to make it worthwhile. If at all, due to economies of scale.

Wouldn't it be noticeably less expensive without the electronics and such required?

Yup. Probably one of the few features that *would* cause a noticeable difference in per-unit manufacturing costs, unlike the usual software-only culprits (video, scene modes, face detection, etc).

Give me a FF SLR that only shoots static subjects!

Static? you don't know how to use MF properly and are just pulling our leg, do you?

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Canon PowerShot A1200 Samsung TL500 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pontoneer, Dec 10, 2013

Pontoneer wrote:

Why M42 with an adaptor ?

Because they work on all current mounts without image-degrading glass elements.

Most makes will have a native lens mount with manual lenses that can be used .

Well, no, they don't.

I have a sizeable collection of K mount SMC-M lenses that fit straight onto my bodies without messing about with adaptors .

Most other makes will surely have some useable legacy lenses ?

Nope, just Pentax and Nikon. Sony has access to legacy lenses from Minolta as well, but they're all from the AF era -- manual Minolta lenses used a different mount, which not only needs an adapter to fit onto the Alpha line, it even requires a glass element. Same for the Canon FD and Olympus OM mounts and their respective SLR lines. Mirrorless cameras all use newer, unique mounts, so while none requires glass elements for whatever lens you put on it, SLR or rangefinder, you do require an adapter at the very least.

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Canon PowerShot A1200 Samsung TL500 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 32,306
Like?
Another suggestion

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

You won't get a DSLR without AF, if you really want one, your best be it buy a Canon 6D, fit a split image focussing screen and buy some Zeiss or Samyang lenses. Then you'll get the full MF focussing experience. There is an AF module tucked in there, but you won't be using it.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,359Gear list
Like?

The mirror in a Sony SLT is easily removed and is only required for the phase detect auto focus. Then set the switch on the camera to manual focus. Some, if not all SLT's have focus peaking and focus magnification features.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

Gary Waugh's gear list:Gary Waugh's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II
Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,720Gear list
Like?

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Curious if this is a thing... Shopping for a new camera and they all have AF mode. Don't need or want. I would like to know if anyone else would buy a DSLR without AF?. Wouldn't it be noticeably less expensive without the electronics and such required?

Probably not, due to the economy of scale. In Africa, most bicycles are without gears, in order to be cheaper. Yet in Europe the bikes without gears are expensive special products, because few buy them, therefore it is cheaper to include gears as a standard.

Ironically, the riders in Africa, carrying heavy water canisters and riding long distances in hot weather, would need gears far more urgently than many European and Amercian weekend riders, and the sturdy weather- and dirtproof German Rohloff would be the best solution for them, if it were not so damn expensive.

Give me a FF SLR that only shoots static subjects!

So, while this may fnd its users, it would definietly not be cheaper.

I would welcome maunal foccusing aids (split prisms) and depth of field scales on nlenses though....

-- hide signature --
 Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +1 more
Roger Krueger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,762
Like?
Leica Digital Module R

Lets the MF-only R8 and R9 shoot digital. A decade out of date by now though.
The advantage isn't cost, it's the brighter finder you get by not having a semi-transparent mirror passing light to the AF system.
But most if not all of the OVF-better-than-EVF applications I can think of are also AF-better-than-MF. Static subjects can be focused WAY more accurately zooming in on an EVF.

Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,211Gear list
Like?
Custom camera manufacturer
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, Dec 11, 2013

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

You won't be able to find a consumer model with that feature, if only because auto focus can be much more accurate than manual focus, especially with wide aperture lenses.

However, you might want to contact one of these companies, which make custom cameras according to spec:

http://www.lumenera.com

http://www.pixelink.com

Likely you will spend far more for one of these, but it can be just as you want it.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads