Canon S120 Powershot - outstanding

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Anthony Bodcare
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Canon S120 Powershot - outstanding
9 months ago

After having an S95 for years till a friend had an accident with it and then to an S110 which i sold. I finally got my hands on the limited edition S120. I have been very particular about the low light capacity since the S95 CCD was good in this area.

I am proud to say the S120 low light capacity is outstanding. So much so that in some of the dimmest rooms i could swear we used a flash so i kept using it and it blows the S95 i loved away.

i am so glad i went for this little beauty over the RX 100. Amazing little camera with excellent reults. Great series.

Canon PowerShot S110 Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jennyhappy2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,257Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon S120 Powershot - outstanding
In reply to Anthony Bodcare, 9 months ago

Great to hear.  ENJOY!

Anthony Bodcare wrote:

After having an S95 for years till a friend had an accident with it and then to an S110 which i sold. I finally got my hands on the limited edition S120. I have been very particular about the low light capacity since the S95 CCD was good in this area.

I am proud to say the S120 low light capacity is outstanding. So much so that in some of the dimmest rooms i could swear we used a flash so i kept using it and it blows the S95 i loved away.

i am so glad i went for this little beauty over the RX 100. Amazing little camera with excellent reults. Great series.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anthony Bodcare
Like?
In reply to Jennyhappy2, 9 months ago

My only worry is sometimes the low light is too strong. If i wanted a dimmer view not sure what to do there. it seems increedibly sensitive.

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

Great to hear. ENJOY!

Anthony Bodcare wrote:

boogisha
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?

Anthony Bodcare wrote:

My only worry is sometimes the low light is too strong. If i wanted a dimmer view not sure what to do there. it seems increedibly sensitive.

That`s at least easy - either lower ISO value (which will also give you a bit better looking picture), or decrease aperture (raise F number), or speed up shutter speed (lower time value) : )

The result will be that less light will reach your sensor, giving you a picture you want. For a start, you might want to experiment with different values and play a bit, just to get some idea of what`s happening.

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120
Anthony Bodcare
Like?
Re: Canon S120 Powershot - outstanding - powerful low light possibly too strong butvery happy
In reply to boogisha, 9 months ago

Thanks for the tip, ill try that.

boogisha wrote:

Anthony Bodcare wrote:

That`s at least easy - either lower ISO value (which will also give you a bit better looking picture), or decrease aperture (raise F number), or speed up shutter speed (lower time value) : )

The result will be that less light will reach your sensor, giving you a picture you want. For a start, you might want to experiment with different values and play a bit, just to get some idea of what`s happening.

Molsal
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?

I'm just glad that someone is at last happy with the performance of the 120. I love all it's eay to access features,the touch screen with all it's functions particularly touch and hold the right edge of the screen to change the function of the front control ring. The build quality is fantastic, close up work is pretty good, but I take mainly landscape, and woodland pictures ,and the 120 is lacking for this, so I returned mine and bought an Rx100 for less money.

Anthony Bodcare
Like?
In reply to Molsal, 9 months ago

Great... yes i was looking at the RX but i do like the S120 pocketness as well.  all good. happy snappers.

Molsal wrote:

I'm just glad that someone is at last happy with the performance of the 120. I love all it's eay to access features,the touch screen with all it's functions particularly touch and hold the right edge of the screen to change the function of the front control ring. The build quality is fantastic, close up work is pretty good, but I take mainly landscape, and woodland pictures ,and the 120 is lacking for this, so I returned mine and bought an Rx100 for less money.

Molsal
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?

Great... yes i was looking at the RX but i do like the S120 pocketness as well.  all good. happy snappers.

Molsal wrote:

The rx100 is reasonably pocketable, the rx100m2 is not its just too thick and heavy, I've owned both so I can comment, I love wifi capability so I fitted my rx100 with a transcend wifi sd card, problem solved.

John

Jennyhappy2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,257Gear list
Like?

Definitely true on the size difference between the S120 and RX100.  To have a truly pocketable camera, it's the S120 or XQ1.

Anthony Bodcare wrote:

Great... yes i was looking at the RX but i do like the S120 pocketness as well. all good. happy snappers.

Molsal wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads