Looking for adaptor feedback on Fotodiox Pro Nikon F to E-Mount

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?
Looking for adaptor feedback on Fotodiox Pro Nikon F to E-Mount
10 months ago

I got a Nikon E Series 135mm f2.8 to try on my Sony A7 today. I got the Fotodiox Pro adaptor from Amazon (can't seem to find the Metabones or Novoflex in stock). The pair is working fine, but the adaptor feels slightly loose on the F-mount side and to my surprise the E-mount side plastic (and no tripod mount at all).

Anyone using this adaptor? Does this sound right or is this a bad copy. This is my first real use of an adaptor. Love the lens, not sure about the adaptor.

And since no thread should be lacking in a pet shot, one is provided. Taken about 60 seconds after putting the lens, adaptor, and camera together.

Shot wide open at f2.8, focused via focus peaking.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wingnut1
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for adaptor feedback on Fotodiox Pro Nikon F to E-Mount
In reply to Brian Caslis, 10 months ago

Sorry, don't know much about the potential for any adapter problems, but the detail in this picture at 100% is incredible - the dog's eye is incredibly sharp. Happy to hear more good things about older Nikon lenses on the A7 - think I'll selling my D700!

wingnut1's gear list:wingnut1's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian Caslis
Like?
In reply to wingnut1, 10 months ago

Thanks for the comments. I have to agree that for a $95 lens wide open there isn't much to complain about!

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Fred Briggs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006Gear list
Like?

Looks like the dog has a cataract unless it is just a reflection - has he been showing symptoms of poor vision?

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Brian Caslis
Like?
In reply to Fred Briggs, 10 months ago

Fred Briggs wrote:

Looks like the dog has a cataract unless it is just a reflection - has he been showing symptoms of poor vision?

-- hide signature --

"We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky." Leonard Cohen c1967

Reflection due to the bounced flash.

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
Metabones F - E mount

I have a Metabones unit. While it is finished better - chromed brass mount points on both sides - it isn't without issues:

• E mount side had a loose mount plate allowing both rotational and side to side play (worse).
  • F mount side allows rotational play but no side to side play (good).
  • Adapter allows focus far past infinity (bad)
Brian Caslis
Like?
Re: Metabones F - E mount
In reply to sroute, 10 months ago

sroute wrote:

I have a Metabones unit. While it is finished better - chromed brass mount points on both sides - it isn't without issues:

• E mount side had a loose mount plate allowing both rotational and side to side play (worse).
  • F mount side allows rotational play but no side to side play (good).
  • Adapter allows focus far past infinity (bad)

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

TriniArt2
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?
I have the Fotodiox pro one

I have the Fotodiox Pro adapter Nikon F to E Mount and have no issues at all.

Works perfectly with no play on either side. I originally had a generic adapter which

had light leak so purchased the Fotodiox one.

Used on 5n and 6 and will be trying on my a7r this week.

TriniArt2's gear list:TriniArt2's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
Re: Metabones F - E mount

Another local photographer had some of the above symptoms with his; Metabones is sending a replacement mount plate.

For a "premium" product I'm not terribly impressed. I have a cheap $15 Contax-E mount adapter which fits with zero issues.

wingnut1
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?

Hello Brian, I asked B&H photo about the following Fotodiox adapter (don't know if this is same as yours):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994946-REG/fotodiox_nk_g_nex_p_adapter_for_nikon_g.html/FOPNEXANG?pr_an_type=product&pr_em_id=2815543&pr_feat=ANNO

Here is the question and the answer I received:

Q:"If I purchase a Sony A 7 full frame camera, I will need an adaptor in order to use my Nikon AI and AIS lenses. I have read elsewhere that some of the available adaptors only provide APSC coverage. The product info for this adaptor seems to indicate the latter is the case. Can you confirm that this adaptor is APSC coverage only, and if so, can you point me in the direction of an adaptor that will provide full frame coverage? Thank you very much!"
A:Chuck C from B&H Photo Video said:
"Hello,

Some adapters had baffling in them to control flare. The FotodioX Adapter for Nikon G Lens does not and will work without issue on the new Full Frame Sony A7 & A7r cameras."

wingnut1's gear list:wingnut1's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 +2 more
AlexBakerPhotoz
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fred Briggs, 10 months ago

I just got a Nex-6 to use as my carrying-around-pocket camera and right away ordered a Fotodiox adapter to see if my Nikon lenses would work on the Nex-6. Well, Eureka! All my new and, most especially, my 40+ year old F mount Nikon lenses work just fine with it. Manual focus and aperture adjustments are not an issue for any photographer old enough to have bought these lenses new as long as you can still see thru them

So - I already love the Fotodiox. It is sturdy and seems to be well made of all metal, the fit is smooth and tight and it works very well. I have a a bunch of new Nikon lenses but also a 135 f/2.8, a 50mm f/1.4, a 28mm, and especially a Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 macro with extension tube. that I can move out of the attic now without having to get the new Nikon Df.

as far as I can tell from a few quick shots. I'm delighted with both the Nex-6 and the Fotodiox Adapter. BTW - the adaper I got has a blue ring for apeture control on it but no tripod foot.

Nex-6 with Fotodiox adapter and Vintage Nikkor SC Auto 50mm f/1.4

shot with the Nikkor50/f1.4

shot with the 55 macro, not acrop

shot with the 55 macro, not acrop

-- hide signature --
 AlexBakerPhotoz's gear list:AlexBakerPhotoz's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +15 more
Brian Caslis
Like?
In reply to AlexBakerPhotoz, 10 months ago

That looks like the one I have. Is the e-mount side plastic on your?

Brian Caslis
Like?
In reply to wingnut1, 10 months ago

wingnut1 wrote:

Hello Brian, I asked B&H photo about the following Fotodiox adapter (don't know if this is same as yours):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994946-REG/fotodiox_nk_g_nex_p_adapter_for_nikon_g.html/FOPNEXANG?pr_an_type=product&pr_em_id=2815543&pr_feat=ANNO

Here is the question and the answer I received:

Q:"If I purchase a Sony A 7 full frame camera, I will need an adaptor in order to use my Nikon AI and AIS lenses. I have read elsewhere that some of the available adaptors only provide APSC coverage. The product info for this adaptor seems to indicate the latter is the case. Can you confirm that this adaptor is APSC coverage only, and if so, can you point me in the direction of an adaptor that will provide full frame coverage? Thank you very much!"
A:Chuck C from B&H Photo Video said:
"Hello,

Some adapters had baffling in them to control flare. The FotodioX Adapter for Nikon G Lens does not and will work without issue on the new Full Frame Sony A7 & A7r cameras."

That looks like the one I have but on Amazon it was called the Fototdiox Pro. It works fine with the A7 with full frame coverage (not APS-C).

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,983Gear list
Like?

Brian Caslis wrote:

I got a Nikon E Series 135mm f2.8 to try on my Sony A7 today. I got the Fotodiox Pro adaptor from Amazon (can't seem to find the Metabones or Novoflex in stock). The pair is working fine, but the adaptor feels slightly loose on the F-mount side and to my surprise the E-mount side plastic (and no tripod mount at all).

Anyone using this adaptor? Does this sound right or is this a bad copy. This is my first real use of an adaptor. Love the lens, not sure about the adaptor.

And since no thread should be lacking in a pet shot, one is provided. Taken about 60 seconds after putting the lens, adaptor, and camera together.

I have the previous version of the Fotodiox pro adapter (metal barrel, tripod socket, no frills). Funny enough, I suggested the new changes to the Fotodiox reps (include aperture ring, take out tripod mount since lenses that need it probably have their own, etc.), but I hoped it didn't affect the build quality.

One of the Amazon video reviews shows the guy being able to pretty easily pull the adapter apart. According to the Fotodiox representative's response, the adapter had to have been previously modified for that to happen (subtly suggesting the reviewer might have tampered with the adapter).

In case it was a manufacturer's defect, try making sure the pieces of the adapter are, in fact, held together properly and you can't pull them apart. Would be a shame to drop any of your new (old) lenses on the ground. Had that 135mm f/2.8 Series-E too by the way. Great compact lens!

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
AlexBakerPhotoz
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?

Mine is metal.

-- hide signature --
 AlexBakerPhotoz's gear list:AlexBakerPhotoz's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +15 more
TechStar
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to AlexBakerPhotoz, 5 months ago

Not clear on the Fotodiox Pro adapter for Nikon F lens, and you may be able to help. This lens is listed on Amazon as this: Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial (DE-Clicked), Nikon G and DX type lens to Sony E-Mount NEX Camera. The only Amazon listed Sony E-Mount to Nikon F is a less expensive Fotodiox which doesn't have the blue ring and isn't a Pro version. Is the Nikon G lens base compatible with the Nikon F lens base? I also searched the Amazon customer reviews for the Nikon F and Fi lens for both adapters. The less expensive adapter has a reviewer who uses it with the F, but couldn't find any reviewer of the Pro version using the F lens. I visited Fotodiox's web site, couldn't determine from the description if the Pro works with the F lens as well.

TechStar
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to TechStar, 5 months ago

I just learned from a DPReviewer that fitting the G base means that is compatible with the f-mount lenses that do not have an aperture ring (in addition to all other F-mount lenses). Sorry to trouble you. I'll use the Pro adapter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads