<<<< Mini-Challenge >>>> #321: "Wow water!"

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
aaanouel
Senior MemberPosts: 5,077Gear list
Like?
<<<< Mini-Challenge >>>> #321: "Wow water!"
9 months ago

The theme of this Mini Challenge is "Wow water!".

Taken by any gear, techniques and tricks: long exposition to high speed shutter, macro, wide to telephoto, post processing software, special effects, filters, etc., up to non processed minimalist images. The limit is your personal skill and your own creativity, everything is valid for achieving WOW! water photos.

The idea is to share our knowledge for others widening their photographic horizons. It could be waterfalls, beaches, rivers, lakes, tubs, glasses, cups, showers (no W.C. please, LOL!), leaks, drops, reflections, refractions, in calm, splashing or vibrating breaking waves, anything directly related with fluid water having a primordial role or as an important complement to the images.

Rather than just show off images, please also tell us about the stories behind the images. Why, where and how they were taken, troubles involved, solutions, post processing applied, etc. and anything you like that adds to what might otherwise be just another photo. The image is there to tell a synthesis of its story and/or to illustrate the best of a real-world water event.

Contest entries are limited to three photos but please feel free to post unlimited numbers of photos noted as "Exhibition". The more photos the better, and in order of always learning and enhancing ourselves, besides cheers and bells, constructive critics and suggestions are, more than welcome, desirables (extra points are given for actively sharing our knowledge with others) and even good taste jokes for adding fun and dynamism to this contest.

Here are a few examples, just for illustrating but not limiting your creativity:

Coming back home to dinner (in camera, sunset scene mode)

Aquarelle on the rocks (Topaz Simplify)

Hot springs nymph (Selective motion blur filter for enhancing long exposition effect)

La Paz waterfalls gardens

Fishing on the rocks

Aquarelle canvas on Morèe (Topaz Simplify and PS6)

Jumping to the water (the wedding)

Surfing C.R.

Water drop on red lily petal

Water is life

Minimalist reflections on the beach (NIK Color Efex 3)

Botos Lagoon at Poas Volcano, C.R.

Cosmic cascade (NIK Color Efex 3)

Low POV duck shot

Reflections on the sand at Espadilla beach

She's my sun!

The Winner Sets up a NEW Mini-Challenge!!!

(Second place takes the baton if the Winner could or would not host the next one)

Enter Exhibition in header if you don't want to be voted on or chosen as the Winner!

Rules (general rules from past competitions):

1) Enter up to three photos from any camera taken at any time. Let us know about equipment, settings and processing if you like. A good title and a little context about what was happening when the image was captured. We’re interested in the story behind the picture, not just the image.

2) 3rd, 2nd, and Winners will be chosen. The winner chooses the next mini challenge theme and selects the next winner and so on. . .

3) Please post your entries by replying to this original post rather than under someone else’s post - and change the subject line to the title(s) of your images or something like that to separate your picture posts from comments that someone may make about your post.

4) As usual, exhibition entries are welcome, if you have interesting images to share beyond your three entries, or should you feel you are not able to host the challenge in the event that you win. Please be sure to clearly state if entries are exhibition only.

5) All entrants should check the results of the challenge and be ready to jump in with the next competition if they are the winner.

6) PLEASE feel free to make as many comments as possible. This adds to the fun and keeps people coming back. Lets make this a record number of entries.

7) The contest starts now and ends on Tuesday, December 17 at 1000 UTC (ie, 2am Pacific time).

8) The Winner Sets up a NEW Mini-Challenge!

-- hide signature --

aaanouel
Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,150Gear list
Like?
Re: <<<< Mini-Challenge >>>> #321: "Wow water!"
In reply to aaanouel, 9 months ago

Wow, definitely raised the bar here!

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,442Gear list
Like?
In reply to Digital Nigel, 9 months ago

yep! some scarily good examples. Will set us all running for cover

-- hide signature --
 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,380Gear list
Like?
"Wow water!"

Wow Indeed. You are superb when around water, in the words of Blake, 'Holy Crap'.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
aaanouel
Like?
That's the idea Nigel!
In reply to Digital Nigel, 9 months ago

Digital Nigel wrote:

Wow, definitely raised the bar here!

✎ ✓✓✓✓✓

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
aaanouel
Like?
Post yours now!
In reply to salla30, 9 months ago

salla30 wrote:

yep! some scarily good examples. Will set us all running for cover

✎ ✓✓✓✓✓

I put few fishes on the window… now go on, catch and show your own off!!!

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

aaanouel
Like?
Roaring motors on water!
In reply to elliottnewcomb, 9 months ago

Speed, shakes and jumps, the wind on the face and the roar of a powerful motor boat...

… that's electrifying! ✎ ✓✓✓✓✓

Txs4SharingElliot

-- hide signature --

aaanouel

busch
Forum ProPosts: 29,580Gear list
Like?
Water wheel (exb)

One of the few fully operational water wheels around our area. It drives a grain mill.

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
busch
Like?
Havasupai Falls (exb)

The Havasupai Falls on the Havasupai Indian reservation.

Taken with Canon film camera and scanned. Havasupai means "people of the blue-green waters" and the canyon they live in is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Note the people swimming which gives an idea of the size.

-- hide signature --

Busch
My Photos

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
Bill Borne
Forum ProPosts: 18,674Gear list
Like?
Re: Havasupai Falls (exb)
In reply to busch, 9 months ago

busch wrote:

The Havasupai Falls on the Havasupai Indian reservation.

Taken with Canon film camera and scanned. Havasupai means "people of the blue-green waters" and the canyon they live in is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Note the people swimming which gives an idea of the size.

-- hide signature --

Busch
My Photos

Beautiful....Is this in the Grand Canyon?

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H200 +3 more
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: Exb from my archives

These are from Ithaca, NY...Located at bottom of Cayuga Lake (One of the "Finger Lakes). There are many gorges here with lots of Waterfalls. Used ND Filters for most photos if not all! And Tripod/Monopod

Treman Park Gorge

Treman Park Gorge Winter (Frozen)

Tripphammer Falls..Located on Cornell Univ. Property

Ludlowville NY on Cayuga Lake

Taughannock Falls

Taughannock Falls

Watkins Glen Gorge, NY

Watkins Glen

Watkins Glen

-- hide signature --
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H200 +3 more
hapster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005Gear list
Like?
Exhibition Images... Many Forms of Water

It's snowing here now, I've caught what ever nasty chest thing my wife has, and I'm sitting here in my office looking through the forum for a bit...

Here are a few exhibition images of water in different forms that I've captured over the last couple of years

Wizard Glass...

Like glass...

Frozen

Ice Dragon

Kurplunk...

Dreary Morning Drip...

Water Colors...

10Min waters...

hapster's gear list:hapster's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: EXB...Just a few more ‹(◕¿◕)›

Town of Sundown, Catskills, NY. A feeder creek into Rondout NYC Drinking Water Reservoir

Rondout Creek Sundown

Rondout Creek

Rondout Creek Sold rights for it and they used on Cover and "Embossed" it

Trout Creek, Catskills NY. A Feeder Creek with many waterfalls feeding Rondout Reservoir (NYC Drinking Water). There are 5 of these Reservoirs all linked by underground tunnels and leading to NYC from the Catskills. Sadly this creek is now "OFF Limits" ever since 911.

Trout Creek

Salt Springs State Park, PA

Salt Springs

Salt Springs

And Lastly a Couple of streams from Vestal, NY

Lonely Drop

Fall in Vestal

A 5 lb Rainbow Trout NY

-- hide signature --
DWMurf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

Wow! What a great topic, great title and great photos from a great photographer who we are very fortunate to have as our new host!

I live near the water and have at least 150,000 or so photos I could post. Let's see, at 150 posts per thread limit that would be 1000 or so threads!

-- hide signature --

David

DWMurf's gear list:DWMurf's gear list
Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Utltimate Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +17 more
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: Hapster
In reply to hapster, 9 months ago

Wow...Great...Love em All

-- hide signature --
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: Well, David.......
In reply to DWMurf, 9 months ago

DWMurf wrote:

Wow! What a great topic, great title and great photos from a great photographer who we are very fortunate to have as our new host!

I live near the water and have at least 150,000 or so photos I could post. Let's see, at 150 posts per thread limit that would be 1000 or so threads!

-- hide signature --

David

You could post a couple????

-- hide signature --
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: "Wow water!"
In reply to elliottnewcomb, 9 months ago

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Wow Indeed. You are superb when around water, in the words of Blake, 'Holy Crap'.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Looks like you had a Fun Time!

-- hide signature --
DWMurf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: Well, David.......
In reply to Bill Borne, 9 months ago

Bill Borne wrote:

DWMurf wrote:

-- hide signature --

David

You could post a couple????

-- hide signature --

LOL! I'm just overwhelmed as I look at the monumental task I have at hand!

-- hide signature --

David

DWMurf's gear list:DWMurf's gear list
Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Utltimate Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +17 more
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: aaanouel

Hot springs nymph (Selective motion blur filter for enhancing long exposition effect)

La Paz waterfalls gardens

Great All, but these are my Favorites

-- hide signature --
busch
Like?

Those example shots are pretty hard to compete with; especially the water nymph! Just one problem with that one; who is looking at the water!

-- hide signature --

Busch
My Photos

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads