Mac Mini model # A1347 MC27oll/A

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Elbert Zip Johnson
Contributing MemberPosts: 829
Like?
Mac Mini model # A1347 MC27oll/A
9 months ago

My question is:

I'm running 8GB of ram would I see a difference if I max it out to 16GB?

-- hide signature --

Thanx

Zip

'EVENT PHOTOGRAPHER'
MID WEST
check me out? www.zipsphoto.photoreflect.com

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,016
Like?
Re: Mac Mini model # A1347 MC27oll/A
In reply to Elbert Zip Johnson, 9 months ago

Impossible to know without more information on the resource use of your current setup.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jen Yates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,282
Like?

I'll come back with 'unlikely' unless you're doing something which uses loads of RAM... such as editing documents with loads of layers or stitching massive panoramas.

Don't listen to anyone else, just use activity monitor to check out how much RAM you're actually using.

MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Try this

Elbert Zip Johnson wrote:

My question is:

I'm running 8GB of ram would I see a difference if I max it out to 16GB?

What software are you running? It matters.

I use Dxo Optics Pro 9 and have found that when I do batch processing of editing photos my system is using about 10 GB of memory (I have 16 GB on my rMBP) so if you are using OP 9, then possibly upgrading to 16 GB would make enough difference for you to notice. However if you are using Photoshop and LR, perhaps not. More of an explanation of how you are using your system would help.

My suggestion is for you to download MenuMeters (or something equivalent) to check how much of your system you are using. The software is free and will tell you if you are maxing out your current resources or not. One place you can get it is

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10451/menumeters

golf4food
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jen Yates, 9 months ago

Adding RAM helps if you have a lot of programs open at the same time!  It is an inexpensive way to keep your machine from slowing down, not really speeding up things.  In general, if you need more speed, then you need a new computer!  If your computer is slowing down, then RAM can help.

Another way to speed up a machine these days is to get an SSD!  It really makes a difference!  You can get SSD upgrades from macsales.com, and they have videos to show you how to do it.

You can always get the latest Quad Core Mac Mini with a fusion drive, and then add more ram yourself. You will find that it is worth the investment.

golf4food's gear list:golf4food's gear list
Nikon D610
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to golf4food, 9 months ago

golf4food wrote:

Adding RAM helps if you have a lot of programs open at the same time!

Or you can simply have one app open and be working in such a way that requires a lot of RAM.

It is an inexpensive way to keep your machine from slowing down, not really speeding up things.

If you are low on RAM then your computer will slow down. Adding more RAM will speed it up dramatically in such a case.

Processor speeds and storage speeds are obviously another matter.

In general, if you need more speed, then you need a new computer! If your computer is slowing down, then RAM can help.

Another way to speed up a machine these days is to get an SSD! It really makes a difference! You can get SSD upgrades from macsales.com, and they have videos to show you how to do it.

You can always get the latest Quad Core Mac Mini with a fusion drive, and then add more ram yourself. You will find that it is worth the investment.

-- hide signature --

Have a Merry Christmas

gaussian blur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,610
Like?
In reply to Basalite, 9 months ago

Basalite wrote:

Adding RAM helps if you have a lot of programs open at the same time!

Or you can simply have one app open and be working in such a way that requires a lot of RAM.

Depends on the app. Not all apps require huge amounts of memory. Most don't.

It is an inexpensive way to keep your machine from slowing down, not really speeding up things.

If you are low on RAM then your computer will slow down. Adding more RAM will speed it up dramatically in such a case.

Not necessarily. It depends what it's doing and whether it's thrashing while doing it.

And if it's not low on memory then it won't make a difference.

Processor speeds and storage speeds are obviously another matter.

If either is the bottleneck, then getting a faster processor or faster storage (e.g., SSD) will make a difference, not memory.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads