This is what my new system will look like

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
jhutchings
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
This is what my new system will look like
7 months ago

for a camera body Panasonic GM1

For a camera body Panasonic GX7,G6, or Gh3 (narrowing that down now)

Lens 12x32 kit lens from GM1

Lens 20mm 1.7 panasonic Version 2

Lens 14 mm 2.5 panasonic

Lens 45 mm 1.8 Olympus

Lens 60 mm 2.8 Sigma

Lens 14-140 panasonic zoom new verson

Lens 45-175 mm panasonic zoom

I would like another prime don't know which one and maybe the 12-35 mm 2.8 panasonic or 25 mm 1.4 panasonic prime..

For me the main decision is the final body. I figure I really can't go wrong. This is somewhat of a duplicate of an earlier post so please remove mods if you feel you need to. Now my thoughts.

I like primes so the 14,20,45,60 gives me a good start.

I like the zoom lens for functionality and yes there are some crossover here but I am ok with that.

I want something in the 7x14 mm panasonic line so that is still on my list.

So I always know there is something else, so given the fact i did overlap the zooms how about everything else and would I be ok with a G6 body? I really will probably end up with the GH3 and at least one more lens to start so if I had to add one more lens what would be the one. I have all the accessories and so forth so i am ok there. You might ask what type of photography I do, well I a novice who loves to experiment with everything, I just love the art and trying new things. I am not a professional so I really do love this hobby. I took all the input from my earlier post and summerized it into this one. So what body and one more lens should I add to the stable? Again thank you so much for everyones help.

jhutchings's gear list:jhutchings's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +13 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sinkas
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
Re: This is what my new system will look like
In reply to jhutchings, 7 months ago

Too many lenses and too much overlap?? Do you really need the 45 and the 60? At the moment you don't cover the very wide or very long end. Just my thoughts - each to his own.

-- hide signature --

Regards Daryl

sinkas's gear list:sinkas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clengman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297Gear list
Like?

Lens 14 mm 2.5 panasonic

Lens 45 mm 1.8 Olympus

Lens 60 mm 2.8 Sigma

I would like another prime don't know which one and maybe the 12-35 mm 2.8 panasonic or 25 mm 1.4 panasonic prime..

For me the main decision is the final body. I figure I really can't go wrong. This is somewhat of a duplicate of an earlier post so please remove mods if you feel you need to. Now my thoughts.

I like the zoom lens for functionality and yes there are some crossover here but I am ok with that.

So I always know there is something else, so given the fact i did overlap the zooms how about everything else and would I be ok with a G6 body? I really will probably end up with the GH3 and at least one more lens to start so if I had to add one more lens what would be the one. I have all the accessories and so forth so i am ok there. You might ask what type of photography I do, well I a novice who loves to experiment with everything, I just love the art and trying new things. I am not a professional so I really do love this hobby. I took all the input from my earlier post and summerized it into this one. So what body and one more lens should I add to the stable? Again thank you so much for everyones help.

Why stop there? Just buy all the lenses.

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +4 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,573Gear list
Like?
In reply to clengman, 7 months ago

Lens 14 mm 2.5 panasonic

Lens 45 mm 1.8 Olympus

Lens 60 mm 2.8 Sigma

Why stop there? Just buy all the lenses.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,573Gear list
Like?

Since you're getting the GM1, it might make sense to also get the GX7 which is said to have the same sensor.

The 75 is missing from your lens list.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
.Sam.
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,041Gear list
Like?

jhutchings wrote:

Lens 14 mm 2.5 panasonic

Lens 45 mm 1.8 Olympus

Lens 60 mm 2.8 Sigma

• with GM1 kit lens, you don't need the 14/2.5
  • I think the 20/1.7 is a fantastic lens, makes a great low light combo with GM1 for going out at night
  • If you think you'll get 25/1.4, then don't get the 20/1.7
  • Again, if you have fast primes AND GM1 kit, you won't need the 12-35
  • Forget about the 14-140. I have it, and it's a great lens, but I hardly ever use it

Here is my suggestion;

• GM1 + Kit
  • GX7 (maybe GH3)
  • 25/1.4 (or 20/1.7 if you want to go small)
  • Olympus 75/1.8
  • Panny 100-300
  • If you have to have a macro lens, then the Panny 45/2.8 would complement this kit better
  • If you think you'll need wider lenses, then consider Panny 7-14
-- hide signature --

.Sam.
GF1+20+45 Sigma DP2 & Pentax K20D - ist* DS - ZX-5 - LX
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/shadzee/

.Sam.'s gear list:.Sam.'s gear list
Sigma DP2 Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +4 more
leendertcv
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?

Buy now:

- Panasonic GM1 + Panasonic 12-32mm

- Panasonic 20mm f1.7

- m.Zuiko 45mm f1.8

Buy next year:

- Panasonic G7 + 14-140mm II

The Panasonic G6 + 14-140mm II is a very good ergonomic combination.

Hopefully the G7 has the GX7 sensor.

Skip this lenses:

- Panasonic 14mm f2.5 (nothing special and only a half stop faster then 12-32mm... better wait for this lens: Panasonic 15mm f1.7, but that one is very close to the 20mm f1.7 lens)

- Panasonic 45-175mm (you have the 14-140mm II )

- Sigma 60mm f2.8 (not very different then m.Zuiko 45mm f1.8)

leendertcv's gear list:leendertcv's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +2 more
Gravi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?

jhutchings wrote:

great backup camera, just received it and love it. That said, if I know up front I'll take photos in difficult situations, or have something important to caputre, I will still go for my E-M5.

I'd say GX7 for the fact that it adds something all your other listed cameras lack: IS. If you shoot primes, it is sometimes really nice to have IS when you need it.

Nice lens, but if you consider the 25mm 1.4, you can consider skipping on this one if size is not your main concern. The 25 has one big advantage: much faster autofocus speed.

Lens 14 mm 2.5 panasonic

Lens 45 mm 1.8 Olympus

both lovely lenses

Lens 60 mm 2.8 Sigma

there is also a 45-150mm by pana that is much smaller and has nice IQ

I have both. the 12-35 is the one I use the most. For video it is great as it adds IS. But the 25mm gets a fair share of use as well, and I love the results I get with it.

you could consider the 9-18mm Oly lens, nice and wide, small, takes filters and cheaper.

Reading you are just starting out, I'd say build your system gradually. Primes are great, but I found myself using certain focal lengths more than others. If I could choose only one it would be 25mm. Not for the lens, but because I likethe focal length.

As for cameras, start out with the big one (GX7 would be my choice) and add the second one later. Might be you miss something in first camera that you can compensate for in a second body.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

Gravi's gear list:Gravi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,516Gear list
Like?
When??? .....

Let us know when your dream come true.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Deleted010614
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?

All that camera gear isn't going to do anything for you. Its so sad to me when beginners "novice in your words" go crazy buying camera gear for a hobby they love but are new to like photography. All to often it ends up in the closet when IT doesn't take good pictures for YOU.

Unless you are much more experienced than your post makes you sound what you REALLY need to do is buy a good body "any of the ones you mention" and ONE good kit lens. But here is the most important thing you have to do above all else, go take some classes, buy "& read" books, Sign up for a good workshop, shoot till your trigger finger bleeds... Once you learn some foundation then go crazy buying all the toys.

Trust me, I don't mean to sound negative or suck any of the joy out of this really! I love my "toys" as much as the next guy but most of us here have seen this happen over, and over again and I would be lying if I said I didn't do it when I first caught the bug.

Good luck man.

-- hide signature --

GIGO

Dave Bennett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,414
Like?
In reply to Deleted010614, 7 months ago

Just get a couple of zooms to cover the range. Less hassle.

-- hide signature --

Dave
Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Chairman Cwmbran Photographic Society

Sulis2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035
Like?

I am considering something similar. Not because I want to clutter up my house with more camera gear, but because having two small bodies with a few interchangeable lenses makes a lot more sense for me than one bigger body and lots of lenses (or big heavy zooms).

I realise that not everyone will agree, but for most of the situations where I want to shoot (family events, walks, school stuff) I really don't want to be spending a lot of time swapping lenses over. And useful though zooms are, I'd much rather have two good primes than one good zoom.

So the GM1 with the 12-32 zoom plus the GX7 with the Oly 12mm, the Panny 20mm and the Oly 45mm gives me a big range of choices when going out, with different variations on each body.

Look at it this way: that entire collection costs only £350 more than the E-M1 with the 12-40 zoom (and the E-M1 combo weighs more than both the two G bodies with the 12 and 45mm primes on!).

Dianne W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206Gear list
Like?

Wow, that is an agressive lens list.  My husband, aka, CFO would have a stroke.  I already have serious $$ invested in my DSLR kit.  I purchased an Olympus Pen E-PL5 for a small take everywhere camera.  Purchased it with the kit lens, not that impressed with that.  The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is being delivered today and I will be adding the 45mm f/1.8 shortly.  I use the 24-70 f/2.8 on my D800 80% of the time, so I think the two primes along with the kit lens will work well for me for a small everyday kit.

What do you like to photograph? You can easily buy lenses to cover everything, but think about what you will truly use. Maybe get one or two to start, I second others recommendations to take some classes, attend workshops and read.  Search this forum for Guy Pearson, he has some very helpful posts on M43.  He has been a big help to me with this new format.

Best of luck on your new journey, looking forward to seeing some of your work.

-- hide signature --

Dianne

Dianne W's gear list:Dianne W's gear list
Nikon D800 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +3 more
jhutchings
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?

Eric Lawson wrote:

All that camera gear isn't going to do anything for you. Its so sad to me when beginners "novice in your words" go crazy buying camera gear for a hobby they love but are new to like photography. All to often it ends up in the closet when IT doesn't take good pictures for YOU.

Unless you are much more experienced than your post makes you sound what you REALLY need to do is buy a good body "any of the ones you mention" and ONE good kit lens. But here is the most important thing you have to do above all else, go take some classes, buy "& read" books, Sign up for a good workshop, shoot till your trigger finger bleeds... Once you learn some foundation then go crazy buying all the toys.

Trust me, I don't mean to sound negative or suck any of the joy out of this really! I love my "toys" as much as the next guy but most of us here have seen this happen over, and over again and I would be lying if I said I didn't do it when I first caught the bug.

Good luck man.

-- hide signature --

GIGO

That is very sound advise. Let me clarify just a bit. I started out with Canon manual SLR cameras back in the 70's and 80's. I do not consider myself in anyway shape or form in the same league as most of you guys are. I know the basics very well, although I would not consider myself creative, I do know how to properly frame and set speed and f stop. I am coming from a Canon dslr world and really wanted to try a new format. I have shot with most of the same equivalent lens and actually have these on my Canon system. I was ready for something new, a little smaller, and since I do some video, the micro 4/3 world seemed like the way to go. I have tried a friend's setup and really like the feel of the panasonic bodies and lens. I took photography in college when we still actually developed our own black and what film and and used an old Pentax slr. What I don't know in this world is the quality of the lens. So based on the above here is my new revised setup

GM1 with kit lens

20 1.7 mm panasonic lens (already have this one)

14 2.5 mm panasonic lens (found one cheap)

14-140 mm panasonic lens (already have this one)

45 mm olympus prime ( need to buy)

longer telephoto than 45-175 panasonic (have this one but can sell it)

Larger body (GH3, G6, or GX7) I have always used two bodies.

Again all the posts offer sound advise and I welcome all input.

jhutchings's gear list:jhutchings's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +13 more
VinceC
Contributing MemberPosts: 857Gear list
Like?
Can't comment on the bodies...........

As I am using Oly. I now have an E-M5 & E-M1, having tried the Oly PEN E-PL5 and sold it as I found I was unhappy without a viewfinder.  I have the primes you are considering buying - Pana 14 &20 mm, Oly 45mm and find them excellent, great IQ, small and relatively low cost.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
Vince C

VinceC's gear list:VinceC's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +4 more
Deleted010614
Like?

jhutchings wrote:

Eric Lawson wrote:

Good luck man.

-- hide signature --

GIGO

That is very sound advise. Let me clarify just a bit. I started out with Canon manual SLR cameras back in the 70's and 80's. I do not consider myself in anyway shape or form in the same league as most of you guys are. I know the basics very well, although I would not consider myself creative, I do know how to properly frame and set speed and f stop. I am coming from a Canon dslr world and really wanted to try a new format. I have shot with most of the same equivalent lens and actually have these on my Canon system. I was ready for something new, a little smaller, and since I do some video, the micro 4/3 world seemed like the way to go. I have tried a friend's setup and really like the feel of the panasonic bodies and lens. I took photography in college when we still actually developed our own black and what film and and used an old Pentax slr. What I don't know in this world is the quality of the lens. So based on the above here is my new revised setup

GM1 with kit lens

20 1.7 mm panasonic lens (already have this one)

14 2.5 mm panasonic lens (found one cheap)

14-140 mm panasonic lens (already have this one)

45 mm olympus prime ( need to buy)

longer telephoto than 45-175 panasonic (have this one but can sell it)

Larger body (GH3, G6, or GX7) I have always used two bodies.

Again all the posts offer sound advise and I welcome all input.

I'm gonna have to eat a bunch of that proverbial crow here! First let me say that was a very classy response to my post. I must say I was completely mistaken in my assessment of your situation and background. Sorry, didn't get all that past photographic background and dedication out of your original post and those situations I spoke of really are sad to me. Fortunately it was a case of mistaken identity with you. I have a friend with probably 6 or 7 grand in camera and "L" lenses like the 50 & 85 1.2 L's. He cant take a good picture to save his life and STILL blames it on the gear. I quit trying to help him, obviously he doesn't listen anyway.

By the way, what part of the country are you in?

Anything we can do to help with the transition just let us know!

-- hide signature --

GIGO

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?

All good choices. Wide choice of lenses.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,117Gear list
Like?

I don't have many lenses, and have lots of fun figuring out which ones - and which bodies - I want in the future in order to build my own m4/3rds system. There are focal lengths I haven't tried yet. There are also different theories about how to build a list of lenses so lens duplication and unnecessary lenses can be avoided.

One approach is to find out the most comfortable focal length for you, be it 28mm (FF equiv) or 35mm or 40mm or 50mm or whatever, and then buy lenses that are double and half that.

So if you like something a like a 28mm (FF equiv) as the base, get the pancake 14 or new 15mm as the foundation, and then half that (maybe the 7-14mm), and twice that, the 25 or 30mm, the 60mm, something about120mm etc.

If you prefer 35mm (FF) then get the 17.5mm, the 9-18mm, the 75mm, a 150mm and so on.

Jumping for brevity to the a normal (50mm FF equiv) lens, buy the 25mm and a 12mm which is half of that - or be happy with the 12-32mm that comes with the GM1. Doubling the 25mm would be a 50mm (the 45mm maybe), and doubling that would be a 100mm.

That's the theory anyway, and it provides endless fun, planning, and G.A.S.. But it makes some sense too.

Enjoy!

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Deleted010614
Like?

I just got the PanaLieca 25mm F1.4 for my EM1. You might think about that one. I'm completely blown away by it. Really, really amazing lens! Its all good but crazy, crazy sharp!

-- hide signature --

GIGO

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads