Canon 6D or Sony A7

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
PeterTX
Contributing MemberPosts: 683Gear list
Like?
Canon 6D or Sony A7
Dec 10, 2013

I know I buy into a system but here is my situation: (post it here instead of the Sony or canon forum to get more unbiased opinions)

I have a 28-135mm Canon Lens that I got with my original rebel.

So either I go with 6D body only or Sony A7with kit lens.

What I like about the sony:

Size and general feel
The ability to do video with AF
Dead pixel removal automatically every month!
Have not been able to compare picture quality with the Canon yet
Ability to customize the camera controls
Ability to use E lenses in crop mode.
Did I mention the size and weight of body and lenses?

What I like about the 6D:

The picture quality
Built in wifi and GPS
Ability to use my 28-135 and the availability of lenses
Battery time
Software that comes with the camera and the remote app for my phone.
Familiarity with the system

The types of pictures I take are:

Family pictures
Travel pictures
Low light, dusk, nightscapes etc pictures
My 8 year old playing soccer
Weather/cloud formations
Flowers/macro pictures

I am going back and oath now with the 6D even being cheaper than the Sony and lots of sales before Christmas.

The Sony is a new area for me, have used Canons and Nikons in the past but only a video camera from Sony.

Any guidance you can give as to which way to go or what I should consider when I try to decide based on your experience with both systems?

PeterTX's gear list:PeterTX's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,213Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 6D or Sony A7
In reply to PeterTX, Dec 10, 2013

I know I buy into a system but here is my situation: (post it here instead of the Sony or canon forum to get more unbiased opinions)

Size and general feel

The picture quality
Built in wifi and GPS
Battery time

Family pictures
Travel pictures
Weather/cloud formations
Flowers/macro pictures

I am going back and oath now with the 6D even being cheaper than the Sony and lots of sales before Christmas.

The Sony is a new area for me, have used Canons and Nikons in the past but only a video camera from Sony.

Any guidance you can give as to which way to go or what I should consider when I try to decide based on your experience with both systems?

The sony might be your best bet.

High portability when you want

Sports shooting when you need (with alpha lens adapter) the sony a mount lineup has the sports lenses you would need and the translucent phase detect autofocus speed you need.

A7 also has wifi and wireless remote for phone

The a7 can adapt to be faster af for sports and nature, but the 6d cannot adapt to be a smaller camera.

Also a7 has the same sensor as the d600, a99

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KCook
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,717Gear list
Like?

Also compare the lens prices.

If you are a JPG shooter, both cameras are overkill.

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2
Fred T
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?

Don't forget the low light capabilities of the 6D (High ISO, low noise), amazing.

And the image quality is marvelous.

PeterTX
Like?
In reply to Fred T, Dec 10, 2013

But isn't low light capability roughly the same, based on imgaing Resource review I looked at.

However my concern would be the AF capabilities compared to 6D based onthe first impression by DPREVIEW.

Or?

Olympus E-M1
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,321Gear list
Like?
I'm a Sony guy, and I say if you have to ask...

...go Canon.  These new cameras from Sony are not for the indecisive, imo.  They are for those who know they want them, exactly why they want them, exactly how they'll use them, and have been waiting (years) for them.  They are far from general purpose cameras.

I'll be getting one after the first of the year, and am very enthusiastic about them (especially the A7r), but I also think lots of people are getting a little gaga about them.  These people are ignoring the limitations, and I don't mean lenses.  They are slow cameras, except iso-wise.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Rokinon T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC +15 more
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,310Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm a Sony guy, and I say if you have to ask...
In reply to tex, Dec 10, 2013

tex wrote:

I'll be getting one after the first of the year, and am very enthusiastic about them

What were your thoughts on the loss of IBIS and stepping out of A-mount ?
To me, they were a deal killer, especially after seeing Sony
creating a third line of glass.

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235
Like?
In reply to PeterTX, Dec 11, 2013

Since you haven't mentioned any specific lenses beyond what you already have, I'm going to make the assumption that budget is a large concern for you. If that is the case, I think you'll benefit from considering the price of each camera system before looking at the price of the bodies.

As far as size is concerned, the sony prime is compact, as is the canon 40mm f2.8. In fact using the canon 40 over your zoom will save you about a pound in carry weight.

tex
tex
Like?
No problem for me and what i do
In reply to Ron Poelman, Dec 11, 2013

I didn't have IBIS until several years ago----have been using cameras since the '60's, seriously since the late '70's.

The whole mount thing is a farce to me, just as with different raw formats. Everything should be one mount, across all brands.  We could make it M mount AFAIC.

Lack of glass?  What lack of glass.  Oh, you mean native mount?  i couldn't care less.  I'll be using at least 6 different makes of lens on the A7r once i get it.  AF?  Almost made me forget how much I prefer MF, until I started using MF again.

As I said, there are some of us who actually know that we want this particular camera.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Rokinon T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC +15 more
PeterTX
Like?
Re: No problem for me and what i do
In reply to tex, Dec 11, 2013

Well, let me clarify I am not intersted in doing MF, Iam an AF kind of guy, although I like low light capabilities.

The lens set up I would be looking at is:

28-135, one low light prime, 40 or 50 mm , one zoom 70-300 or so.

For the Sony it would be the same except the initial zoom that would be the 28-70 kit zoom.

I was planning to get the Sony E elnse 55-210 and use in crop mode but I just read that some of the e-lenses (including this one) dont work properly with the A7 bodies and OSS wouldn't work. That is key for me in a telephoto lens I would not buy one without OSS (or IS in the Canon world).

The two major reasons I look at the Sony A7 are size (key) and the ability to automatically map out bad pixels. Just watched that in real time for a friend who had it and after setting the date one month ahead and turning off and on the camera the dead pixel was gone!

The main drivers for Canon are the lenses I have, the built in GPS and then the low light capability.

The one thing that I miss from both of them is a built in flash. That is something that is nice to have for fill in flash when needed.

Dont know if this gives any more insight to help you guide me which way to go?

Olympus E-M1
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,310Gear list
Like?
Re: No problem for me and what i do
In reply to tex, Dec 11, 2013

tex wrote:

As I said, there are some of us who actually know that we want this particular camera.

Fair call.
My own is that if I want to go the big lens/small body route;
then the recent crash in used NEX prices is worth noting.

Otherwise, a "next size up" Alpha body like the @77,
is still the best way to sling my Minolta glass,
with all the native advantages built in.

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
tex
tex
Like?
And yours is a very smart call /nt
In reply to Ron Poelman, Dec 11, 2013
-- hide signature --

tex
tex
Like?
Now I really think you should go with the Canon...

...except for the size, I think you'll get frustrated with the A7.  Plus, you're already set up with Canon lenses. Canon is the better call for you, imo.

You can switch later---these will not be the last of this type of camera.  Sony has practically bet the farm, but it's looking like a doggone good bet so far, just in terms of interest and sales.  I read somewhere that demand was something like 200% of what they expected.

Who knows, maybe this will finally spur Canon into action on this front.  Then you're really set.

-- hide signature --

Beachcomber Joe
Contributing MemberPosts: 530Gear list
Like?

PeterTX wrote:

But isn't low light capability roughly the same, based on imgaing Resource review I looked at.

However my concern would be the AF capabilities compared to 6D based onthe first impression by DPREVIEW.

Or?

The 6D has better high ISO performance and the ability to focus in much darker environments.

Sony is still playing catch up when it comes to autofocus. Canon, on the other hand, has an autofocus system that is well regarded by professional action photographers. You will note that the A7's frame rate drops to 2.5 fps when it attempts to continuously autofocus while the 6D can maintain 4.5 fps in any shooting mode. A clear indicator of the difference in their abilities to focus quickly AND accurately.

The A7 has more dynamic range than the 6D. If you typically need to underexpose by two or three stops this could be important to you.  And, not to be ignored, is the difference in viewfinders: OVF vs. EVF.

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,646
Like?

Your top two needs are family and travel. You have to really ask yourself if you want to lug a ff Canon and lenses around with you. It might seem like a great idea for image quality, but go pick one up and walk around the store for 10 minutes with a 6d and something like the 24-105 and tell me you want to take that along every time you walk out the door.

Allochka Emiliana
Senior MemberPosts: 1,107
Like?

PeterTX wrote:

Size and general feel

The picture quality

A7 images are amazing...

Built in wifi and GPS

A7 has a built in wifi

You can use any brand of lens if you choose A7

Battery time

Turn off wifi and you can get up to 1000 photos per charge according to one user or just buy a second battery in ebay

A7 has a software to do remote from any smartphones...

and lastly,

non of the Canon sensor rating made the top 20 while Sony and Nikon dominates the top 20...

Family pictures
Travel pictures
Weather/cloud formations
Flowers/macro pictures

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads