Been Looking at GH3

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
scottyinfrisco
Regular MemberPosts: 407Gear list
Like?
Been Looking at GH3
9 months ago

But in all seriousness is it still relevant?  I know it is a good camera, but there are good number that take better video and better stills.  It's not that small, and it is still not cheap. G6 is arguably better on a number of fronts. D5200 seems to be as well. Both considerably less price wise.  The GM1 and GX7 both seem better in low light. Am I missing something besides but rate and weather sealing?

-- hide signature --

The best camera is the one you have with you.

scottyinfrisco's gear list:scottyinfrisco's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +14 more
Nikon D5200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
venice
Senior MemberPosts: 1,594Gear list
Like?
Re: Been Looking at GH3
In reply to scottyinfrisco, 9 months ago

Nothing unhacked is a better hybrid camera.

Nothing from Panasonic is as good in low light.

No micro 4/3's has ergonomics as good, in the opinion of many.

The weather sealing really works and lets you shoot in inclement weather.

It's the best micro 4/3's camera in my opinion.

Now it is available for significant discounts which make it an even better value.

-Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256Gear list
Like?
In reply to venice, 9 months ago

venice wrote:

Now it is available for significant discounts which make it an even better value.

-Bill

+1

it is a superb camera and there are no m43 that have a materially better sensor. It's clear if you want to look at a range of tests and samples that the practical differences between the IQ of EM5 EM1 EPL5 EPM2 GX7 and GH3 is less than negligible.

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,950Gear list
Like?
Name one that takes better video.

And then name one that takes better video with interchangeable lenses. And then name one that takes better video with interchangeable lenses with such a broad range of lens choices. And then name one that takes better video with interchangeable lenses with such a broad range of lens choices using .mov for three hours (without the grip).

Obviously, you've already decided to buy a GH3, so why this thread?

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
scottyinfrisco
Like?
Re: Name one that takes better video.
In reply to Corkcampbell, 9 months ago

Corkcampbell wrote:

And then name one that takes better video with interchangeable lenses. And then name one that takes better video with interchangeable lenses with such a broad range of lens choices. And then name one that takes better video with interchangeable lenses with such a broad range of lens choices using .mov for three hours (without the grip).

I actually haven't decided on a GH3 at all.  I'm really trying to find a reason to get one.  Except for the time limit you essentially described the D5200.

-- hide signature --

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,276
Like?

It's not that small, and it is still not cheap.

I just bought a GH3, my first M43 camera, and I'm very pleased with the size.   I have another camera (Sony RX100M2) that fills a "take-everywhere" role, so for me the GH3 doesn't have to be especially small, it just has to be especially capable - particularly as a hybrid video stills/camera.

I'm still waiting on lenses I've ordered, in the meantime I've been using it exclusively with the 20mm f/1.7.   Despite the body size, the camera doesn't seem that large with this lens on.   I think the real size benefit with M43 isn't the bodies, it's the lenses.

I've discovered that I really, really like the ergonomics of this camera.   There are a ton of customizable buttons and two dials to make all my routine adjustments a real snap.  I don't seem to be having any issues accidentally hitting anything I shouldn't, and I really like the fact that I can operate the camera with a pair of fairly thick gloves on.

miketala
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?

You might read the EOSHD review of the GH3 if you are interested in its video capabilities.  The Nikon's only advantage is somewhat better low-light performance.

Richard Weisgrau
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,098
Like?

I don't think you are missing just anything, but you might be  overlooking somethings. The Gh3 and the D5200 are both top-notch cameras. I have been a Pro Nikon user for 48 years. My son teaches photography and also shoots videos on his D5200. One of his D5200 videos in on the Rolling Stone website.

I owned a Lumix G1 and Gh1 just to try them. I was very impressed but they were no substitute for my Nikons. I the fall of this year I bought a G6 and a few lenses. I did not buy a Gh3 because I am evaluating the current state of the Lumix G system in terms of IQ. I am impressed.

In 2011 during hurricane I did a 24 hour news coverage during the peak of the storm. My weather sealed Nikon D700 and my SB900 flash both ended up with water damage. 50 mile per hour wind driven  rain can ever get past the rain sleeve. In the decades before that experience I NEVER lost a camera to environmental conditions. I shot storms, fires, war; was tear gassed, sprayed with water hoses, soaked in excruciating heat and humidity and frozen is an Alaskan blizzard. I'd suggest that you get a good rain sleeve and not worry about weather sealing. Umbrellas and raincoats are better than trying to waterproof yourself -- so it is for a camera too.

I do not know whether a D5200, Gh3 or G6 is best for you, but I do know that the selection of a camera purchase is best NOT made theoretically. It is better to make a realistic assessment based upon how you will use the camera and lenses rather than anticipate extremes that you are unlikely to encounter. How many times this year did go out in a downpour to shoot stills or video?  If you did often then you ought to look past the D5200 to top of the line pro gear and lenses. Remember a lens can also be damages by weather. But, if you are not likely to be shooting in downpours, I'd suggest that you make a decision based upon what environment you will most likely be using the camera in.

No one can really tell what your best choice is. You have to do some analysis to make that choice. One part is the weather you are most probably going to be shooting in, but there are others. I chose a G6 because I dabble in video and shoot mostly stills. otherwise I would have chosen a Gh3. I did not  choose a D5200 because I really want an eye level EVF rather than being limited to a LCD screen for video as in Nikon Live View. I want external mike capability and the G6 has it.

What I am trying to say is that you need to look at what you are likely to do rather than what someday might happen (because it probably will not) when evaluating a camera purchase. There are dozens of good cameras on the market. Which ones do what you need them to do, and which ones do what you want them to do? Never fail to meet your needs, but be prepared to not fulfill all of your wants, unless you are wealthy.

-- hide signature --

Richard Weisgrau
www.drawnwithlight.com
www.show-my-house.com

valenterio
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richard Weisgrau, 9 months ago

I had a GH3 and out of all the cameras I had, including the Canon Mark III,  Nikon D800, Oly EM-1, and Canon 70D, the GH3 had the BEST video quality. My problem with the GH3 was the focusing was hit and miss. I learned to work around it by using "PINPOINT" focus. The photos were stunning but my biggest problem with MFT cameras in general you cannot crop down to more than maybe 25% without losing resolution. Currently, I am using a Canon 70D and it seems to suit my needs. I use the EM-1 on larger projects because of the weight issue. I'm 72 years old and the lighter, the better. I may buy another GH3 primarily for the video quality and backup. It's a great camera.

valenterio's gear list:valenterio's gear list
Canon EOS 70D
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?

scottyinfrisco wrote:

Corkcampbell wrote:

I actually haven't decided on a GH3 at all. I'm really trying to find a reason to get one. Except for the time limit you essentially described the D5200.

-- hide signature --

Can the D5200 change aperture in video mode? I'm actually curious.

Also everything I've seen about the GH3 suggests that other than the 70D and Sony SLT, it's probably the only camera whose C-AF is usable for video.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
scottyinfrisco
Like?
In reply to honeyiscool, 9 months ago

honeyiscool wrote:

Also everything I've seen about the GH3 suggests that other than the 70D and Sony SLT, it's probably the only camera whose C-AF is usable for video.

You can, but you have to leave live view to do it.  I honestly don't know if you have to stop the video to do it, but I would assume that is the case.

-- hide signature --

DouglasG
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
In reply to honeyiscool, 9 months ago

Only with manual lenses.

I owned a D5200 briefly and found it very cheap, the ergonomics are really awful for my taste, the quality of the video is very good not outstanding but very good indeed for a low price camera, in low light is better than the GH3 not by a large margin either, but that´s it.

With the GH3 you get a much better build and weather resistant body, much better buttons and ergonomics, a very robust codec (great for post processing), 1080p at 60fps(The D5300 have it), audio monitoring, histogram(peaking will be nice too), internal WiFi control(D5300 now have it too), and if you own Nikon lenses can use the Speedbooster, also much more lenses to choose from.

-- hide signature --

www.cajitacreativa.com
Sony Nex 5n | Olympus OM-D | Lumix GH3
Canon FD Lenses | Lumix Lenses | Olympus Lenses

DouglasG's gear list:DouglasG's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
tjuster1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481
Like?

venice wrote:

-Bill

If one believes that "the best camera is the one you have with you" (as the OP does) then the GH3 is definitely not the best micro 4/3 camera. It's a behemoth compared to its m43 competition.

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,174Gear list
Like?

GM1 is better in low light. GX7 too based on the GM1 result I guess.

I have come across these to my mind rather simplistic comparisons too often on these fora to bother to answer the supposed questions by OP. Don't like it don't buy it.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Tanngrisnir3
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?

scottyinfrisco wrote:

But in all seriousness is it still relevant? I know it is a good camera, but there are good number that take better video and better stills. It's not that small, and it is still not cheap. G6 is arguably better on a number of fronts. D5200 seems to be as well. Both considerably less price wise. The GM1 and GX7 both seem better in low light. Am I missing something besides but rate and weather sealing?

-- hide signature --

The G6 is better on a number of fronts?
Like which ones?

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,276
Like?
In reply to tjuster1, 9 months ago

tjuster1 wrote:

If one believes that "the best camera is the one you have with you" then the GH3 is definitely not the best micro 4/3 camera. It's a behemoth compared to its m43 competition.

None of the M43 cameras that allow full manual control over video are small enough to "have with me" at all times.   I have a different camera (Sony RX100M2) for that purpose.   The GH3 is for the times when I want a camera with me that has the best stills and video.

scottyinfrisco
Like?
In reply to Tanngrisnir3, 9 months ago

Tanngrisnir3 wrote:

The G6 is better on a number of fronts?
Like which ones?

Moire, aliasing, price, size, focus peaking.

-- hide signature --

Ann Chaikin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,882Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, 9 months ago

My words exactly. Except I have the earlier RX100.

Ann Chaikin's gear list:Ann Chaikin's gear list
Sony RX100 Sigma DP2 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +6 more
yslee1
Regular MemberPosts: 348
Like?
In reply to Richard Weisgrau, 9 months ago

Richard Weisgrau wrote:

No one can really tell what your best choice is. You have to do some analysis to make that choice.

Never fail to meet your needs, but be prepared to not fulfill all of your wants, unless you are wealthy.

This should be copy and pasted for every "What camera should I buy?" question.

tjuster1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, 9 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

tjuster1 wrote:

If one believes that "the best camera is the one you have with you" then the GH3 is definitely not the best micro 4/3 camera. It's a behemoth compared to its m43 competition.

None of the M43 cameras that allow full manual control over video are small enough to "have with me" at all times. I have a different camera (Sony RX100M2) for that purpose. The GH3 is for the times when I want a camera with me that has the best stills and video.

Fine, but then by the definition "the best camera is the one you have with you" the RX100M2 is your best camera. Just logic.

What you're saying is that there are other factors besides being small enough to have with you, and I agree completely. But obviously the OP values small size, or else he wouldn't have used "the best camera is the one you have with you" as his signature line.

My point is, simply, that the GH3 may be a fine camera but it is in no way a small m43 camera. In fact, it's the largest m43 camera, and not by a hair either. If one's guiding principle is "the best camera is the one you have with you" then there's no way the GH3 should be your choice because there are other m43 cameras that you'd be much more likely to carry with you (all the time) because they're much smaller.

Again, not knocking the GH3 . . . . just as a camera to be with you all the time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads