FZ70 + a filter?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
bob81
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
FZ70 + a filter?
9 months ago

Hi,  does anyone know for sure if you can put a lens hood or filter on the FZ70 without using the LA8?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bob(Ma.USA)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Castaway
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to bob81, 9 months ago

there is no problem putting a filter or close up lens directly on the lens. The lens hood if it is the same as the FZ200 is designed to fit on the end. The adapter is only required for heavier lenses such a tele extender.

It is safest if anything you attach you do with the camera turned off and the lens retracted.--
Old Sea Dog
Galleries at http://www.pbase.com/oldseadog/galleries

 Castaway's gear list:Castaway's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bob81
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to Castaway, 9 months ago

Thank you, what size filter does it take?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bob(Ma.USA)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,628Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to bob81, 9 months ago

bob81 wrote:

Hi, does anyone know for sure if you can put a lens hood or filter on the FZ70 without using the LA8?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bob(Ma.USA)

55mm filter - no problem (other than potential vignetting at full w/a)

In contrast to the FZ200, the FZ70 lens barrel is totally smooth, and lacks the FZ200's lens hood mounting points.   You could mount a generic 55mm hood such as this one, but I suspect it would vignette at W/A.

Sherm

 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mikec11h
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to bob81, 9 months ago

I have heard from B+H Photo rep in NYC that the adapter is NOT required to use a filter.

 mikec11h's gear list:mikec11h's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 3,887Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to sherman_levine, 9 months ago

You might look into a collapsible rubber lens hood that can screw right on to your filter threads something like this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/70731-REG/General_Brand_NP11052_52mm_Screw_In_Rubber_Lens.html

Of course you would need the 55mm size, but this was just to illustrate.

I use one of these when I am shooting through glass like a window or aquarium. You press the rubber part next to the glass and it blocks out all the annoying reflections.

These have a pretty wide angle and may not vignette at full W/A. Besides, they can collapse out of the way if they do.

Just a suggestion.....

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

 Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill marsh
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to Jerry045, 8 months ago

So a 55mm filter, UV, will fit the front of the lens? and then screw a 55mm rubber hood (that can be folded back for WA, on that for maximum lens protection? Is that all I need to do?

Regards,
Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,628Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to Bill marsh, 8 months ago

Bill marsh wrote:

It looks like my FZ70 can hold a screw-in filter on the front of the lens, but don't know the diameter. Looks like about 50mm (?) Anyone know the size? It can also hold a screw-in hood, which I suppose is about 55mm.

My main goal is protection of the front of the prime lens. Sure, I can use the lens cap, but when carrying the camera on a neck strap and taking mulitple images, I'd like something that would protect against light bumps and accidental smudges.

Two questions.

1. What is the diameter of the front of the lens? I will get a UV and also a polarizer filter.

2. Is the diameter of the front of the lens that does not move, 55mm? I should be able to find a rubber, or a flower hood for it.

I have a flower hood for my Canon SX40 and cut it down until no vignetting. Works great!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bill

Not sure what you're seeing at 50mm. The only threads on mine are 55mm - and you can use them for a filter and/or a screw-in hood.

Sherm

 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill marsh
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to sherman_levine, 8 months ago

sherman_levine wrote:

Bill marsh wrote:

It looks like my FZ70 can hold a screw-in filter on the front of the lens, but don't know the diameter. Looks like about 50mm (?) Anyone know the size? It can also hold a screw-in hood, which I suppose is about 55mm.

My main goal is protection of the front of the prime lens. Sure, I can use the lens cap, but when carrying the camera on a neck strap and taking mulitple images, I'd like something that would protect against light bumps and accidental smudges.

Two questions.

1. What is the diameter of the front of the lens? I will get a UV and also a polarizer filter.

2. Is the diameter of the front of the lens that does not move, 55mm? I should be able to find a rubber, or a flower hood for it.

I have a flower hood for my Canon SX40 and cut it down until no vignetting. Works great!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bill

Not sure what you're seeing at 50mm. The only threads on mine are 55mm - and you can use them for a filter and/or a screw-in hood.

Sherm

Thank you Sherm. I was confused in my above post. I modified it, and now know that I just need to go 55mm.

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,628Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to Bill marsh, 8 months ago

Bill marsh wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

Bill marsh wrote:

It looks like my FZ70 can hold a screw-in filter on the front of the lens, but don't know the diameter. Looks like about 50mm (?) Anyone know the size? It can also hold a screw-in hood, which I suppose is about 55mm.

My main goal is protection of the front of the prime lens. Sure, I can use the lens cap, but when carrying the camera on a neck strap and taking mulitple images, I'd like something that would protect against light bumps and accidental smudges.

Two questions.

1. What is the diameter of the front of the lens? I will get a UV and also a polarizer filter.

2. Is the diameter of the front of the lens that does not move, 55mm? I should be able to find a rubber, or a flower hood for it.

I have a flower hood for my Canon SX40 and cut it down until no vignetting. Works great!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bill

Not sure what you're seeing at 50mm. The only threads on mine are 55mm - and you can use them for a filter and/or a screw-in hood.

Sherm

Thank you Sherm. I was confused in my above post. I modified it, and now know that I just need to go 55mm.

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Bill

Glad to help. Another option you might consider is taking a DMW-LA8 and shortening it so it doesn't vignette at full W/A.  I purchased something similar for my FZ200 and keep half of it on on the camera during walkaround.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3507774

It's short enough that it doesn't vignette, but extends far enough over the lens that it's well-protected when the camera is off.  It's a bit of a waste because it ruins the DMW-LA8 for telextender mounting, but I think it provides more protection than a screw-on flower hood.  I see a Bower version on ebay for about $18

Sherm

 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill marsh
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to sherman_levine, 8 months ago

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281253399423?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

How about using something like this flower hood? I have a similar one on my Canon sx40. It is substantial plastic. I had to cut it down a little due to vignetting, but it works pretty well. Maybe I am missing something? No sarcasm intended.

Regards,

Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,628Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to Bill marsh, 8 months ago

Bill marsh wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281253399423?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

How about using something like this flower hood? I have a similar one on my Canon sx40. It is substantial plastic. I had to cut it down a little due to vignetting, but it works pretty well. Maybe I am missing something? No sarcasm intended.

Regards,

Bill

Bill,

My suggestion mounts to the body, so when the camera's turned off the lens is completely protected. Even if the camera falls, the impact is taken by the body.

The flower hood mounts to the lens.

My data-less feeling is that i'm more likely to do damage to the camera when it's turned off than when it's turned on and in my hands.

Sherm

 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill marsh
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to sherman_levine, 8 months ago

Ah, I understand. My concern is not so much damage to the camera body as to scratching or smudging the surface of the lens when I am actively shooting and then hanging it around my neck. Otherwise the camera is in a good case and well-protected.

But I like your idea very much. I suppose the DMW-L8 screws into the outer barrel of the lens? The fixed part that attaches to the camera body and does not move when the lens moves. Is that correct?

If so, how short does it need to be not to vignette? It would seem it would need to be less than an inch long. Maybe less?

Regards,
Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,628Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ70 + a filter?
In reply to Bill marsh, 8 months ago

Bill marsh wrote:

Ah, I understand. My concern is not so much damage to the camera body as to scratching or smudging the surface of the lens when I am actively shooting and then hanging it around my neck. Otherwise the camera is in a good case and well-protected.

But I like your idea very much. I suppose the DMW-L8 screws into the outer barrel of the lens? The fixed part that attaches to the camera body and does not move when the lens moves. Is that correct?

If so, how short does it need to be not to vignette? It would seem it would need to be less than an inch long. Maybe less?

Regards,
Bill

I tested (more or less) by extending a ruler past the edge of the DMW-LA8 threads on the camera body and testing to see when I could see the ruler at full W/A.

3/4" to 1" looks to be about the right range.

Sherm

 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads