Powershot S110 and Lightroom questions

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
BlueGreenRed
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Powershot S110 and Lightroom questions
9 months ago

So when I view the raw files from this camera in a regular picture viewer the distortion is pretty bad, but when I import to Lightroom all of a sudden they're fixed, without any lens profile correction selected, why is that?

Lightroom makes improvements but I'm not sure which is the best, most accurate (to the native camera jpeg) I should pick?

So which should I pick?

Camera profile: Camera standard or Adobe standard?

Lens profile: no lens correction or S100 lens profile?

Canon PowerShot S110
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FrankieJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,300Gear list
Like?
Re: Powershot S110 and Lightroom questions
In reply to BlueGreenRed, 9 months ago

BlueGreenRed wrote:

So when I view the raw files from this camera in a regular picture viewer the distortion is pretty bad, but when I import to Lightroom all of a sudden they're fixed, without any lens profile correction selected, why is that?

Because it's automatic based on camera exif ID.

Lightroom makes improvements but I'm not sure which is the best, most accurate (to the native camera jpeg) I should pick?

So which should I pick?

camera standard is closer to camera's jpeg engine output, BUT both are an interpretations, neither should be thought of as accurate. get a color checker passport and increase your hands-on involvement in RAW post-production if you want accurate.

Perhaps you can try both and see which you prefer then share your results here with us?

You use the word "should" a lot. I understand wanting to receive some guidance in matters where you are not experienced but there is no Should in photography, it's an art form with few firm rules as to what is right. Try different things and see what feels right to you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
philzucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,058
Like?
Answers - and questions of my own
In reply to BlueGreenRed, 5 months ago

BlueGreenRed wrote:

[...] Lightroom makes improvements but I'm not sure which is the best, most accurate (to the native camera jpeg) I should pick?

So which should I pick?

I'm resurrecting this thread because I've acquired a used S110 myself and now am asking myself about the same questions - and also some others.

First my answer to one of the questions of the OP:

Lens profile: "No lens correction" is the correct answer here, because the S110 has lens correction information embedded in its CR2 files, and those are automatically applied while importing the RAWs into Lightroom 5.4 or ACR 8.4. The latter states this explicitly, BTW.

But now for the IMO more complicated question:

Camera calibration profile: This is the question I'm asking myself. The Adobe profile renders considerably warmer colors (much too warm IMO) than the S110's JPG engine does (I tested this with some shots made with RAW+JPEG mode). The "Camera neutral" profile is a very subdued profile I don't like to have as a starting point for RAW editing - it's much to flat for my taste, and I don't want to correct saturation and dynamics for every single pic.

The "Camera standard" profile comes closest to the in camera JPG rendering, but it still warmer and a bit punchier, especially in the reds. Because of that I tweaked the Primary Reds a bit to my liking, added some sharpening (didn't want to overdo it here, the S110 default JPG sharpening is a bit too much for my taste), and arrived at these new default settings for RAW import into LR 5.4:

• Camera profile: Camera standard with Red Primary corrections as follows: Hue -5, Saturation -14.
  • Sharpening: Amount 50, Masking 20
  • All other parameters at their default values.

I'd like to know your experiences / default values for the import of the S110's CR2's into LR5. Any input would be much appreciated!

Phil

-- hide signature --
philzucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,058
Like?
Re: Answers - and questions of my own
In reply to philzucker, 5 months ago

philzucker wrote:

The "Camera standard" profile comes closest to the in camera JPG rendering, but it still warmer and a bit punchier, especially in the reds. Because of that I tweaked the Primary Reds a bit to my liking, added some sharpening (didn't want to overdo it here, the S110 default JPG sharpening is a bit too much for my taste), and arrived at these new default settings for RAW import into LR 5.4:

• Camera profile: Camera standard with Red Primary corrections as follows: Hue -5, Saturation -14.
  • Sharpening: Amount 50, Masking 20
  • All other parameters at their default values.

I'd like to know your experiences / default values for the import of the S110's CR2's into LR5. Any input would be much appreciated!

Refined that a bit for a more overall pleasing appearance.

Starting point still is the "Camera Standard" camera calibration profile - with these alterations:

• Red Primary: Hue = 0, Saturation = -7
  • Green Primary: Hue = +46, Saturation = 0
  • Blue Primary: Hue = +13, Saturation = 0

Any thoughts?

Phil

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads