Some Real World X-A1 Samples

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Mike Arledge
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
Some Real World X-A1 Samples
8 months ago

For what they are worth. The weather and scenery have been blah, but some shots to share from the 35 and kit lens. First image of the leaf and tree root are in camera jpg and Raw back to back side by side. most of the rest are RAW images not processed in any way in lightroom yet. Final image really surprised me. The IS on the kit lens is superb! So far, I am pleased to use this as a take anywhere cam that can be passed around to other family and still get Fuji quality and colors.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 70D +5 more
vivanchenko
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: Some Real World X-A1 Samples
In reply to Mike Arledge, 8 months ago

Nice. Very natural and balanced colors.

Exactly why I bought my M1 (do not mean to start another "what's better" argument, both cameras are very good). Could not justify a superfast AF which stays 90% of the time at home. One misses a lot of inspiration and nice shots that way. My M1 is always with me. That's the beauty of A1 and M1 - superb IQ in a small and compact package.

Also, I am noticing that AF is very fast and reliable in good lighting conditions and it is absolutely adequate for taking action shots. I am yet to see a poorly lit event. It only becomes a problem when you need to take pictures of fast action in low light conditions. It happens with my kids. Relatively slow action and static scenes in low light is not a problem for A1 and M1 - very fast and reliable. A1 and M1 have good focus tracking. I am not experiencing that prolonged auto-focus hunting so many E1 users complain about.

vivanchenko's gear list:vivanchenko's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SMEllin
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to vivanchenko, 8 months ago

I've been looking into buying the X-A1 and 35 1.4 combo, or the X100S (budget limit covers the former). Nice to see the AF performs well with the 35, as this was a slight concern to me due to the fact I mostly plan to use it to photograph my young daughter and niece.

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind answering.

How well does the X-A1 support heavier lenses?

How good is high ISO performance? I read a review in which the reviewer complained about noise at low ISO.

Thanks.

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,397Gear list
Like?

Mike Arledge wrote:

For what they are worth. The weather and scenery have been blah, but some shots to share from the 35 and kit lens. First image of the leaf and tree root are in camera jpg and Raw back to back side by side. most of the rest are RAW images not processed in any way in lightroom yet. Final image really surprised me. The IS on the kit lens is superb! So far, I am pleased to use this as a take anywhere cam that can be passed around to other family and still get Fuji quality and colors.

Permit me to nitpick a bit.  If they were "RAW images not processed in any way" we wouldn't be able to view them.  More likely, they are JPEGs processed from RAW files with default rendering settings.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Mike Arledge
Like?
In reply to vivanchenko, 8 months ago

vivanchenko wrote:

Nice. Very natural and balanced colors.

Exactly why I bought my M1 (do not mean to start another "what's better" argument, both cameras are very good). Could not justify a superfast AF which stays 90% of the time at home. One misses a lot of inspiration and nice shots that way. My M1 is always with me. That's the beauty of A1 and M1 - superb IQ in a small and compact package.

Also, I am noticing that AF is very fast and reliable in good lighting conditions and it is absolutely adequate for taking action shots. I am yet to see a poorly lit event. It only becomes a problem when you need to take pictures of fast action in low light conditions. It happens with my kids. Relatively slow action and static scenes in low light is not a problem for A1 and M1 - very fast and reliable. A1 and M1 have good focus tracking. I am not experiencing that prolonged auto-focus hunting so many E1 users complain about.

Yes, it is a useful little camera, quicker than my X-Pro1 or the original X100 as far as AF.  Files are not as nice as my original X100 files are, so I am kinda regretting not just going after the M1 (since I already have a good handle on processing X-Trans files).  But I think I just need more time with it to learn how to maximize the sensor output.  I traded in my X-Pro1 for it, and will be replacing the XPRO with an X-E2 soon for serious work.  I got this camera for my wife, since we are expecting in Feb. so she could use my nice collection of lenses and use the LCD to snap photos of our baby

Mike Arledge
Like?
In reply to SMEllin, 8 months ago

SMEllin wrote:

I've been looking into buying the X-A1 and 35 1.4 combo, or the X100S (budget limit covers the former). Nice to see the AF performs well with the 35, as this was a slight concern to me due to the fact I mostly plan to use it to photograph my young daughter and niece.

How good is high ISO performance? I read a review in which the reviewer complained about noise at low ISO.

Thanks.

I have not used anything but the kit lens and the 35 on it right now.  I think I maybe hooked up the 55-200 in store, but did not leave an impression on me.  The lens mount is metal though, and quite sturdy.

I rarely push ISO 1600 in the kind of shooting I do, and it seems quite fine at that.  I don't really pixel peep this camera right now, just use it for high quality snapshots of family, and walking in the woods a bit.  The IS of the kit lens makes higher ISO's not a concern for me, because I shot hand-held 1/8 of a second for that last photo, and looked sharp enough for my liking.

Mike Arledge
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 8 months ago

bowportes wrote:

Mike Arledge wrote:

For what they are worth. The weather and scenery have been blah, but some shots to share from the 35 and kit lens. First image of the leaf and tree root are in camera jpg and Raw back to back side by side. most of the rest are RAW images not processed in any way in lightroom yet. Final image really surprised me. The IS on the kit lens is superb! So far, I am pleased to use this as a take anywhere cam that can be passed around to other family and still get Fuji quality and colors.

Permit me to nitpick a bit. If they were "RAW images not processed in any way" we wouldn't be able to view them. More likely, they are JPEGs processed from RAW files with default rendering settings.

Sure, nitpick away.  Yes, that was poorly worded.  What I meant was that I used lightroom to make the file a jpeg (at default rendering setting) without applying any additional PP to it.  My bad.

SMEllin
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?

Mike Arledge wrote:

SMEllin wrote:

Thanks.

I have not used anything but the kit lens and the 35 on it right now. I think I maybe hooked up the 55-200 in store, but did not leave an impression on me. The lens mount is metal though, and quite sturdy.

I rarely push ISO 1600 in the kind of shooting I do, and it seems quite fine at that. I don't really pixel peep this camera right now, just use it for high quality snapshots of family, and walking in the woods a bit. The IS of the kit lens makes higher ISO's not a concern for me, because I shot hand-held 1/8 of a second for that last photo, and looked sharp enough for my liking.

Thanks, Mike.

jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,134
Like?
In reply to SMEllin, 8 months ago

Been away for awhile....so could  anyone update me on the IQ differences between the M1 and A1 with JPG output only....

Thank you!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads