Recommendations for Wrist Strap for A7R

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
kblaw
Contributing MemberPosts: 599Gear list
Like?
Recommendations for Wrist Strap for A7R
Dec 10, 2013

I just got an A7R and would like to get a wrist strap. I can't use the neck strap due to neck and shoulder problems I have.  I've used NEX-5 series cameras for the last three years without any strap, and have never dropped one.  However, I have less confidence holding the A7R because it's too big to really wrap my hand around it (and, of course, the stakes are higher because it's a lot more expensive).

Any recommendations?  Looking for something fairly unobstrusive.

Terry

kblaw's gear list:kblaw's gear list
Sony RX100 NEX5R NEX5R Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
gordy's
In reply to kblaw, Dec 10, 2013

I use a Gordy's wrist strap om my nex-7. they are custom made just for you after you order them, they are real leather and come in different lengths and styles. I got the long in the lug mount and I love it, but there are lots of other choices in many different color combos and also in a string mount like more conventional wrist straps

just be sure you know they are stiff when new and just like any good leather product they need a little break in to be their best.

here is the site - Gordy's camera straps

and this is my natural strap with black binding on my NEX-7

as a side note Gordy can be a bit slow to respond to e-mail, but his products are first class and he always delivers - -

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kblaw
Like?
Re: gordy's
In reply to edwardaneal, Dec 10, 2013

Thanks.  Will look into it.  I'm leaving on vacation next Thursday morning, so the timing is tight.

david nix
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
Re: Recommendations for Wrist Strap for A7R

Gordy's is the BEST!  I have one for my Nex 7 and one for my A7.  Top quality and reasonably priced.

david nix's gear list:david nix's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +3 more
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,555Gear list
Like?

kblaw wrote:

Thanks. Will look into it. I'm leaving on vacation next Thursday morning, so the timing is tight.

I have 2 Gordy's and love them. One on my NEX 5N and one waiting for my A7R (I bought it for an RX1 and then decided to go with a Canon 6D for now).

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton OnePlus One +2 more
Dunnlang
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?

I use this wrist strap on my NEX-6:

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Wrist-Strap/dp/B00137NMMW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1386645402&sr=8-5&keywords=wrist+strap

I took it on a 2 week trip to Ireland, along with a neck strap and straps attached to my backpack (to keep it off my neck).  The above wrist strap NEVER came off the camera and has not since.  It is comfortable and sturdy.

The NEX-6 is small enough to carry at all times, or quickly stow in the very small camera bag I wear over my shoulder.  On occasion if I need two hands, I can just allow the camera to dangle.

Custom strap clips with OP/Tech Wrist Strap

I got a bag full of backpack clips and attached them to every camera strap and my backpack straps.  The idea was to be able to quickly swap out straps, but I have never taken off the OP/Tech strap.  I haven't even needed to change it to the other side of the camera.

I used an old dress shoe lace on each side, as it was sturdy and thin.

Dunnlang's gear list:Dunnlang's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S8000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
Riebs
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
In reply to david nix, Dec 10, 2013

I use the Cotton Carrier wrist strap on my NEX, A7r and Sigma Merrill cameras. It attaches via the neck strap lug and the tripod mount. Where it attaches to the tripod mount it has an Arca Swiss plate. I like it because I can adjust the tightness to my hand easily, it allows access to the battery compartment, and it is relatively cheap.

Riebs's gear list:Riebs's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,950Gear list
Like?

Sony has a leather wrist strap for the NEX cameras that is excellent.

I bought one from the online Sony Store, and recommend it.

miro3's gear list:miro3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,593
Like?
Have you considered a hand grip instead?

I'm using this hand grip on my DSLR and I'm very happy with it. I removed the Case Logic logo with seam ripper. I use a QR plate with a strap lug, so don't use the included mount, but I can say it is pretty solid. Much better than most of the less expensive grips and even some of the more expensive versions.

This is all man made fabric that I hope to be able to wash. I tried the cheap $3 ebay grips when first starting to use hand grips to be sure I would like it. My plan was to then buy a more expensive leather grip if I did. What I found was that I really wanted to clean the grip after a year's use. As I wouldn't really be able to do this with leather, I decided just to just keep using the pleather $3 ebay grip and just buy a new one when the old one was a little too ripe. I came across this grip a month or so ago and it is a lot nicer than the really cheap grips, and it hopefully can be washed. It also is cheap enough where if it doesn't work out where I can reuse it after washing, it won't be that much of a loss.

I do have a wrist strap that I use, but I find the hand grips much easier to use getting the camera in and out of my camera bags. I mostly carry my camera in a bag when not using it, as I'm always hoping that keeping the camera out of sight will keep me safer, so easier to get in and out is pretty important to me. I mostly use the wrist strap in winter when using heavy gloves.

It sounds like you might my be able to use a shoulder bag, and always having to have the camera in hand is really workable. Have you also looked at maybe using a Capture Pro from Peak Design? The Micro Plate might be the way to go with the A7?

Thank you
Russell

Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,595
Like?

On my RX1, I use a Black Rapid wrist strap that attaches to the tripod socket on the bottom of the camera.  It is very secure and comfortable.

Rob

DUSTY LENS
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,744
Like?

kblaw wrote:

I just got an A7R and would like to get a wrist strap. I can't use the neck strap due to neck and shoulder problems I have. I've used NEX-5 series cameras for the last three years without any strap, and have never dropped one. However, I have less confidence holding the A7R because it's too big to really wrap my hand around it (and, of course, the stakes are higher because it's a lot more expensive).

Any recommendations? Looking for something fairly unobstrusive.

Terry

Crazy Glue .

No not on your hand .

Way back in the 1960's I made my own wrist strap out of a neck strap and a home made 1/4 - 20 stud with a hole drilled for the metal D ring in the outboard end of the stud . Just a little grinding removed the threads on both sides of the hole in the end of the stud .

Oh , I forgot the crazy glue .

Very simple you pull a one or two inch length of the neck strap through the D-ring hold it tight where the end laps back up the strap leeding to your wrist , and you let a few drops of crazy glue saturate the lapped part of the strap . hold it tight while the crazy glue does the bond .

The finished strap never let go and never failed to secure the camera to my wrist . The strap in those days appeared to be braded black nylon . It was also very comfortable and you actually rarely let the camera hang on the strap .

The price was near zero .

Dusty

Forgot one more thing < The stud screws into the trypod thread in the bottom of the camera .

You can easily reverse twist the strap about five turns so that it untwists as you turn the screw to screw it into the tripod soccet of the camera .

kblaw
Like?
In reply to DUSTY LENS, Dec 10, 2013

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Terry

iJer
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?

Terry another one you might check out is the Braidy http://www.barton1972.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_4&products_id=78&language=en

I used it on my Nex 7 and then transferred it to my A7R although I did like the position of the strap

lugs better on the NEX 7.

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,593
Like?
Re: Have you considered a hand grip instead?
In reply to Russell Evans, Dec 10, 2013

Russell Evans wrote:

It sounds like you might my be able to use a shoulder bag, and always having to have the camera in hand is really workable. Have you also looked at maybe using a Capture Pro from Peak Design? The Micro Plate might be the way to go with the A7?

Not sure what happened here, but this is what the above should have said:

"It sounds like you might not be able to use a shoulder bag, and always having to have the camera in hand isn't really workable. Have you looked at also maybe using a Capture Pro, from Peak Design? The Micro Plate might be the way to go with the A7?"

Thank you
Russell

Philip Corlis
Contributing MemberPosts: 822Gear list
Like?

Prostrap.com

-- hide signature --

Phil
www.PhilCorlis.com
www.FindingBritain.com

dazedproductions
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
In reply to Philip Corlis, Dec 10, 2013

I am looking for a wrist strap/grip as we'll but for now have moved the excellent nikon AH-4 across from my D3.  Problem is its probably a bit big for the A7R and the base plate was crap even for dslrs (I always used a proper baseplate ). Would like to see a slightly smaller version and a single strap version just doesn't give the same security.

dazedproductions's gear list:dazedproductions's gear list
Nikon D3 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +12 more
sabesh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401Gear list
Like?
Barton Braidy or Lance wrist strap
In reply to kblaw, Dec 11, 2013

kblaw wrote:

I just got an A7R and would like to get a wrist strap. I can't use the neck strap due to neck and shoulder problems I have. I've used NEX-5 series cameras for the last three years without any strap, and have never dropped one. However, I have less confidence holding the A7R because it's too big to really wrap my hand around it (and, of course, the stakes are higher because it's a lot more expensive).

Any recommendations? Looking for something fairly unobstrusive.

Terry

I have a few Gordy straps, but don't use then anymore (too thin and stiff). I now use these two:

Barton Braidy

Lance wrist strap

-- hide signature --
 sabesh's gear list:sabesh's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7S Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +7 more
Lisa O
Senior MemberPosts: 2,155Gear list
Like?

Sony sells a nice small wrist strap for about $20. I have one on one of my small cameras.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Camera-Wrist-Strap-STP-WS2/dp/B0086YLJKC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1386730984&sr=8-4&keywords=sony+NEX+wrist+strap

-- hide signature --

see about me in my profile for more info
http://500px.com/LisaOsta
http://www.flickr.com/photos/losta

Lisa O's gear list:Lisa O's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7 +32 more
MrGubrz
Contributing MemberPosts: 761Gear list
Like?

i was previously obsessed with finding the perfect wrist strap... until someone on a forum asked if i had tried a gariz finger loop strap.. now.. i am sold on them for everything mirrorless! so nice and small! check them out and see if you could go that minimal

otherwise, my fav wrist strap i found was a sunglass behind the neck strap thingy from REI

i just tore off the silicon grabby ends and then looped it thru one of the side rings of the camera, and tied the other end.  it even had a lil soft slider to keep it snug on my wrist so my hand didnt just fall out of the strap.  plus they come in 2349elventy232985 different colors and styles.  i had also considered buying some parachute cording and making one similarly

MrGubrz's gear list:MrGubrz's gear list
Sony RX1 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +9 more
JimB630
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
Re: Barton Braidy or Lance wrist strap
In reply to sabesh, Dec 11, 2013

I am looking at the Lance strap. One question: are there any signs that the leather is/will wear and rip where the metal ring runs through it to attach to the camera lug?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Jim B in Indiana

JimB630's gear list:JimB630's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Canon EOS 30D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads