Quick Test: Canon 70D and Sigma 70-200MM F2.8 (OS) and 2X Teleconverter

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
Mike Arledge
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
Quick Test: Canon 70D and Sigma 70-200MM F2.8 (OS) and 2X Teleconverter
Dec 10, 2013

Have only had this camera and set up for a few weeks. I want to make it a birding kit. After using the 70D in store and seeing what the AF could do, I decided to use it in combo with the Sigma 70-200 and 2X converter for an effective 400mm f5.6 stabilized combo. Pretty happy so far. Processed from the RAW file in lightroom, then used Topaz Clarity for a fur boost. AF and metering were excellent in the hard white of the snow conditions.

I will need to work on my technique. I have never shot with this long of a telephoto before and I know I can improve what I am doing for even better results and maybe graduate down the road to the 400mm 5.6L in a while   But this combo will do quite well for now.

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF1 Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 70D +5 more
Canon EOS 70D Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ekendra
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: Quick Test: Canon 70D and Sigma 70-200MM F2.8 (OS) and 2X Teleconverter
In reply to Mike Arledge, 10 months ago

Mike Arledge wrote:

Have only had this camera and set up for a few weeks. I want to make it a birding kit. After using the 70D in store and seeing what the AF could do, I decided to use it in combo with the Sigma 70-200 and 2X converter for an effective 400mm f5.6 stabilized combo. Pretty happy so far. Processed from the RAW file in lightroom, then used Topaz Clarity for a fur boost. AF and metering were excellent in the hard white of the snow conditions.

I will need to work on my technique. I have never shot with this long of a telephoto before and I know I can improve what I am doing for even better results and maybe graduate down the road to the 400mm 5.6L in a while But this combo will do quite well for now.

Hello!

I have a Canon 70D and a Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6.

I have been considering buying a Kenko 2x teleplux pro 300dgx TC (as its about half the price of a Canon 2x Mk111).

My interest is to photograph birds and I wonder if the choice of TC is OK.

Ekendra (Sri Lanka)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads