And now for the remaining K-3 blur dragon to slay...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,421Gear list
Like?
And now for the remaining K-3 blur dragon to slay...
7 months ago

Has anybody given any thought to the DEFAULT AF mode setting?

"AFA" is PROBABLY NOT what you want your camera set to. Nor is it what your K-5/II/s was set to by default.

IF the computer randomly decides to go into AF-c mode for some reason, you can release the shutter while the camera isn't focused on anything.

Think about this and tell me that it isn't probably what's wrong with the other blurry shots that the high ISO NR isn't responsible for.

If someone has High ISO NR set to off or low and AF set to AF-S and they are still getting randomly unexplained blurry images in the future, I'd really like to hear about it.

These kinds of things are the "learning curve" everyone was talking about.

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.youtube.com/photouniverse
www.edwardthomasart.com
www.pbase.com/edwardthomas

Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-E2 +14 more
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 503
Like?
Re: And now for the remaining K-3 blur dragon to slay...
In reply to Qwntm, 7 months ago

Qwntm wrote:

"AFA" is PROBABLY NOT what you want your camera set to. Nor is it what your K-5/II/s was set to by default.

IF the computer randomly decides to go into AF-c mode for some reason, you can release the shutter while the camera isn't focused on anything.

Think about this and tell me that it isn't probably what's wrong with the other blurry shots that the high ISO NR isn't responsible for.

If someone has High ISO NR set to off or low and AF set to AF-S and they are still getting randomly unexplained blurry images in the future, I'd really like to hear about it.

These kinds of things are the "learning curve" everyone was talking about.

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.edwardthomasart.com

dunno because that was the second thing I turned off after auto nr, auto anything is bad bad bad:)

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gazeomon
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?

Thanks for all the good work You have done. My K3 delivers tack sharp images in RAW almost every time. Couldn't be bothered with jpgs, not even for giggles.

-- hide signature --

Hans

Gazeomon's gear list:Gazeomon's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited HD Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +2 more
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,499
Like?
AFA...

Qwntm wrote:

The above implies that the K-5 II and K-5 IIs also has AFA. They do not have AFA.

Just making sure there is no more confusion than necessary.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,003Gear list
Like?
Re: AFA...
In reply to brandrx, 7 months ago

brandrx wrote:

Qwntm wrote:

The above implies that the K-5 II and K-5 IIs also has AFA. They do not have AFA.

Thanks for the clarification. My K-x had AF-A. It was a disaster, always fighting me for control of quick-shift focus.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,421Gear list
Like?
Re: AFA...
In reply to brandrx, 7 months ago

brandrx wrote:

Qwntm wrote:

Ron

Good point Ron.

I was implying that because we didn't have that auto mode in the K-5/II/s, it couldn't be the default, but best to be clear for sure.

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.edwardthomasart.com

Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-E2 +14 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,519Gear list
Like?

Ed,

When I'm hand holding the cam I generally use AF/C since I might lean in a little after the shot is in the focus I want.  In AF/C most cams will correct for an accidental move.  Hey, it doesn't happen that much.    Maybe I misinterpreted what you're saying?

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
John Cafarella
Contributing MemberPosts: 952
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, 7 months ago

Petroglyph wrote:

Ed,

When I'm hand holding the cam I generally use AF/C since I might lean in a little after the shot is in the focus I want.

It's amazing how differently we use our cameras isn't it?  That totally wouldn't work for me because I often use focus/recompose technique.  I know there are some situations where it's not appropriate and can lead to misfocus, but it suits me best for most of my shooting.

-- hide signature --

John Cafarella
Melbourne, Australia

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,146
Like?

Maybe not for some but i thought that was a no brainer, I never use that mode, its either AF-S or AF-C the AF-A doesn't exist in my usage!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

JimBim
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
In reply to david tittermary, 7 months ago

As I mentioned in another thread  Auto WB under fluorescent light is not working properly either.

JimBim's gear list:JimBim's gear list
Pentax *ist DL Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +2 more
KentG
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,534
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 7 months ago

Most cameras designed for action and sports shooting usually have a menu option in AF-C that gives it 2 distinct modes. One is shutter priority which in this case means the shutter will trip regardless of whether it has focus lock or not.  Two is focus priority in which the shutter will not trip unless it has focus lock. AF-C mode normally runs such that between frames it takes a quick look and tries to adjust focus on the fly based on predictive AF if motion is detected. And why are these 2 modes in here you ask? You would think that option 2 would be the one you would want. But not for a pro making a living with the camera in sports. He would use option 1 most of the time. Getting a slightly blurry shot is preferable to missing the shot altogether. No shot at all means no money while a slightly off focus shot means PP. You can still sell that. Especially in print media where max sharpness may not be needed. The frame rate maxxes out in Option 1 while Option 2 slows down depending on the AF speed of the camera. Really serious pro cameras can be fudged into Option 2 more of the time but it requires experience. Most DSLRs I own have this option in them, even Pentax. For those not as demanding in AF-C then Option 2 is the best bet even if some split moments pass you by waiting for focus lock.

I used to hear people whine on here about not being able to get their camera to fire when trying to shoot sports (Opt 2). A simple matter of deciding what is more important. You just have to put it in Option 1 then keep half pressing the shutter while following the action to keep the focus continually updating till you want to fire away. That way the focus is always at least close. Shooting with as much DOF as you can get away with also helps but some prefer shallow to isolate a single player/car/etc. in focus. Don't use auto-ISO either just set it to the highest you can get away with. Putting all these features in auto modes slow the camera's CPU down with things it does not really need to be calculating.

Kent Gittings

Kerusker
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
dragon to slay... then check this ....

There is a glitch in AF-FA (AF Fine Adjust) on the K-5 and K-5 II which was observed by me long ago and which was detailed by someone else later on (I'll try to find the threads).

On the K-3 you should check the following:

1. Set the AF-FA value for a lens unequal to 0 (zero).
  2. shoot at least one image (Ia)
  3. turn the mode wheel such that the green-mode is passed
  4. shoot some images (Ib,Ic.Id,...)
  5. verify the AF-Adjust value in EXIF of the images

The AF-Adjust value may be 0 (zero) for image Ib and also for Ic,Id,...

That means, the AF-FA may be incorrect for all images Ib, Ic, Id,...

Just to mention this for the slaying 

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,499
Like?
kent...
In reply to KentG, 7 months ago

KentG wrote:

Most cameras designed for action and sports shooting usually have a menu option in AF-C that gives it 2 distinct modes. One is shutter priority which in this case means the shutter will trip regardless of whether it has focus lock or not.  Two is focus priority in which the shutter will not trip unless it has focus lock.

Kent,

With Pentax DSLR cameras:

In AF-C (with focus priority), the shutter will most certaintly trip even if you do not have focus lock. Every Pentax DSLR that I have owned works that way.

In AF-S (with focus priority) the shutter will not trip unless you have focus lock.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Rosember
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539Gear list
Like?

This sounds much more convincing than any theory I have read in the other thread. Good observation. I had left AF-A as soon as I switched on my K-3 for the first time - and I could not reproduce the blur issue. Maybe you have found the explanation finally.

Rosember's gear list:Rosember's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +3 more
Kerusker
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Re: dragon to slay... then check this ....
In reply to Kerusker, 7 months ago

vanyagor has digged into this on the other forum.

See post 'AF Fine Adjustment bug' 07-09-13

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,216
Like?

Qwntm wrote:

I don't have a K-3, and the manual doesn't seem to be on Ricoh's web site.

Can someome please tell me what AFA is?

Thanks,

Joe

remnant4
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 7 months ago

AFA is for "Auto Focus Automatic". In this setting the camera's computer "decides" whether  the camera "needs" AFC or AFS mode.

remnant4's gear list:remnant4's gear list
Pentax K-3 HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,266Gear list
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 7 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

Maybe not for some but i thought that was a no brainer, I never use that mode, its either AF-S or AF-C the AF-A doesn't exist in my usage!

Never heard about AF.A before. Looked in the K-3 manual. It automatically chooses AF.C or AF.S, depending on subject. Eh? Does that work?

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,266Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 7 months ago

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Qwntm wrote:

I don't have a K-3, and the manual doesn't seem to be on Ricoh's web site.

Can someome please tell me what AFA is?

The manual is found here

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/download_manual.html

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
dicks0
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, 7 months ago

Set mine to AF.S and also NR Custom (off till 3200). I seem to be getting good results now.

Having said that, in "Green Mode" the AF.A is set and also NR to Auto. I would recon that many "noobs" getting this camera and using this mode will be unhappy with the pictures. Pentax should make sure that "Green Mode" outputs generic and good quality shots. I've not been able to get good shots with "Green Mode" and would think the camera to be rubbish.

dicks0's gear list:dicks0's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Pentax smc DA 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 ED SDM HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads