Cannot collapse the visual junk on the right

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
Cannot collapse the visual junk on the right
9 months ago

As of today, Monday Dec 9 2013, I see the option to collapse the visual junk on the right hand side is missing.  Is this an error or a permanent chage whereby that visual junk is forced on us.

For the record:  I do NOT want to see that visual junk.  I want to be able to hide it.  In the past we had a collapse arrow at the top of each section.  Today that collapse arrow is missing and all the visual junk is being displayed.

If this is a temporary error, please fix it ASAP.

If this is an intentional change, please change it back so I have the option to hide the visual junk.

Thank  you.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +39 more
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,786Gear list
Like?
re: could not agree with you more
In reply to GodSpeaks, 9 months ago
  • why the new UI needs to be so very ugly? after all this is a PHOTO site, so a minimal modicum of aesthetics should be expected;
  • a very elongated collection of some haphazard info goes down the screen for much longer than there is a main window with messages to the left;
  • instead of quite elegant UI which we got after long, long and rather painful period of endless modifications last time, is gone;
  • the collapsible menus at the right side of the screen just got replaced with some fixed monstrosity of a pseudo-interface;
  • everything runs incredibly slowed-down now,
  • even waiting for ones cursor while editing this message takes ages & ages;
  • the list could go on, and on, and on

WHY we are being tormented yet again??

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,272Gear list
Like?
Also obliterated..

Is the summary view of new images from all albums which used to be visible at the right when in your own album.  This was the spot where I could easily see on the fly if any new images had appeared that were worth viewing fully, so that's the end for anyone viewing your images.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
vrot01
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?
my view moves from flat to threaded randomly since the change (nt)
No text.
 vrot01's gear list:vrot01's gear list
Canon PowerShot S30 Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Canon EOS 5D Mark II +20 more
Simon Joinson
dpreview AdminPosts: 4,421Gear list
Like?
Re: Cannot collapse the visual junk on the right

GodSpeaks wrote:

As of today, Monday Dec 9 2013, I see the option to collapse the visual junk on the right hand side is missing. Is this an error or a permanent chage whereby that visual junk is forced on us.

For the record: I do NOT want to see that visual junk. I want to be able to hide it. In the past we had a collapse arrow at the top of each section. Today that collapse arrow is missing and all the visual junk is being displayed.

If this is a temporary error, please fix it ASAP.

If this is an intentional change, please change it back so I have the option to hide the visual junk.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

Thanks for your feedback - your opinion has been noted and we will of course monitor all feedback to the changes. At the moment we do not intend to offer the option to hide the new simplified sidebar content.

Simon

-- hide signature --

Simon Joinson, Editor-in-chief
dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

Simon Joinson's gear list:Simon Joinson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Simon Joinson
Like?
Re: Also obliterated..
In reply to brianj, 9 months ago

brianj wrote:

Is the summary view of new images from all albums which used to be visible at the right when in your own album. This was the spot where I could easily see on the fly if any new images had appeared that were worth viewing fully, so that's the end for anyone viewing your images.

Brian

we ran extensive analytics on all sidebar content for several months before making the changes, and statistically speaking, no one ever clicked on those new gallery images, and since they were one of the things that slowed the page down most we removed the widget. We have exciting plans for 2014 for galleries and challenges, and will revisit this then.

Simon

-- hide signature --

dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
brianj
Like?
In reply to Simon Joinson, 9 months ago

Simon Joinson wrote:

brianj wrote:

Is the summary view of new images from all albums which used to be visible at the right when in your own album. This was the spot where I could easily see on the fly if any new images had appeared that were worth viewing fully, so that's the end for anyone viewing your images.

Brian

we ran extensive analytics on all sidebar content for several months before making the changes, and statistically speaking, no one ever clicked on those new gallery images, and since they were one of the things that slowed the page down most we removed the widget. We have exciting plans for 2014 for galleries and challenges, and will revisit this then.

Thanks, I will wait and see.

Brian

panos_m
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?
Is it possible at least....

...to change to something darker the light colored background at the RECENT REVIEWS?

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,786Gear list
Like?
re: it is not only the looks, functionality is worse too...
  • ...e.g. the full-dots and half-dots are no more;
  • the list of the topmost DPR's threads was pushed towards the bottom (and the bottom itself has reached all times all times low = several screens down LOW);

jpr2

lester11
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?

Simon Joinson wrote:  we ran extensive analytics on all sidebar content for several months before making the changes, and statistically speaking, no one ever clicked on those new gallery images

Hi Simon

Understood.  But the analytics couldn't tell you that I sit mesmerised and inspired most days as the images move by, in awe at their quality and imagination and asking myself how I could raise my own photographic game.  But no, I never click on a single one...

-- hide signature --

Lester

lester11's gear list:lester11's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +13 more
LarH
Regular MemberPosts: 210Gear list
Like?

Your new sidebar is terrible, this site is getting worse with every improvement you people make.
Getting time to start using the other photography sites around. You people seems to be switching to a tablet and smartphone site anyhow. Digital photography keeps getting more and more neglected.

LarH's gear list:LarH's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +15 more
Simon Joinson
Like?
In reply to lester11, 9 months ago

lester11 wrote:

Simon Joinson wrote: we ran extensive analytics on all sidebar content for several months before making the changes, and statistically speaking, no one ever clicked on those new gallery images

Hi Simon

Understood. But the analytics couldn't tell you that I sit mesmerised and inspired most days as the images move by, in awe at their quality and imagination and asking myself how I could raise my own photographic game. But no, I never click on a single one...

-- hide signature --

Lester

Undersood. But the images were about 40 pixels wide - if you want to browse user images you can actually see, just go to any forum and click on the photos tab (i.e. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1005?filter=photo&view=grid).

we will be upgrading the gallery system next year.

SJ

-- hide signature --

dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

Simon Joinson
Like?
In reply to LarH, 9 months ago

LarH wrote:

Your new sidebar is terrible, this site is getting worse with every improvement you people make.
Getting time to start using the other photography sites around. You people seems to be switching to a tablet and smartphone site anyhow. Digital photography keeps getting more and more neglected.

I  find comments like this intriguing. Since Oct 1 we have published a total of 186 'real' photography/camera articles including 17 camera reviews, 16 standalone galleries / studio sample updates, 114 camera, lens, software or general photography articles and news stories and 22 in-depth articles including 12 camera roundups / group tests covering over 50 cameras. None of these covered tablets or smartphones.

In the same period we published on DPR 40 'cross posts' pointing to content produced on our sister site, Connect, most of which were small news stories about new phones/apps, but which included 5 phone camera reviews. All this content is related to photography and is relevant to at least some of our audience.

In terms of volume of content and number of products covered, 'real' (i.e. non-phone) cameras won about 20:1, so to suggest that we are either 'neglecting digital photography' or 'becoming a tablet and smartphone site' seems somewhat inaccurate.

SJ

-- hide signature --

dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

LarH
Regular MemberPosts: 210Gear list
Like?

Since when did connectr become a sister site? If it is just a sister site, then just put up a link to it and stop all the connect posting on the DPreview site. Its quite obvious that the camera reviews have gone lacking since the smartphone cameras became more important to you people.

BTW, With the new layout we can't even see our subscribed threads anymore. Good job.

LarH's gear list:LarH's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +15 more
Simon Joinson
Like?

LarH wrote:

Since when did connectr become a sister site? If it is just a sister site, then just put up a link to it and stop all the connect posting on the DPreview site. Its quite obvious that the camera reviews have gone lacking since the smartphone cameras became more important to you people.

BTW, With the new layout we can't even see our subscribed threads anymore. Good job.

It may be 'quite obvious that camera reviews have gone lacking', but the facts don't exactly support this.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52182805

I'm not sure we ever had subscribed threads in the sidebar - i'll check.

Simon

-- hide signature --

dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,840Gear list
Like?

Democracy prevails .. or does it ???
It seems that my own response to the request ...(note to the request...) of another poster here , seems to have mysteriously gone missing..   a visual informative reply to a question put to me as to how I had managed to stop showing the extraneous side-bar Widgets which have no interest to me...nor it seems to many others..  do we really HAVE to be forced to view these whether or not indeed we want them.. AND if it detracts from our own individual viewing of what most I suspect really come on here for anyway..to read and discuss with other Members ???

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,212Gear list
Like?

LarH wrote:

I don't know about all the beef regarding coverage of smart phones as the most used photographic tool on not only this site. Maybe we should ask ourselves the question: What is the most popular camera on the planet? Or why we don't see much anything regarding small sensor P@S anymore?

Neglecting the possibly widest (and rapidly growing) segment of photographers would mean lack of service. Why most comprehensive photography dedicated site in the world should do that?

I don't use my smartphone to take the photos and have a little interest in "connect" articles, except, sometimes curiosity. But I'm glad they are available in case if I want to explore the new possibilities.

RF

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
Simon Joinson
Like?
In reply to ericN2, 9 months ago

It seems that my own response to the request ...(note to the request...) of another poster here , seems to have mysteriously gone missing..   a visual informative reply to a question put to me as to how I had managed to stop showing the extraneous side-bar Widgets which have no interest to me...nor it seems to many others..  do we really HAVE to be forced to view these whether or not indeed we want them.. AND if it detracts from our own individual viewing of what most I suspect really come on here for anyway..to read and discuss with other Members ???

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

We deleted your comments because if everyone did what you do and blocked all adverts the site would be closed within weeks.
--
dpreview.com
connect.dpreview.com

brianj
Like?

Simon Joinson wrote:

It seems that my own response to the request ...(note to the request...) of another poster here , seems to have mysteriously gone missing.. a visual informative reply to a question put to me as to how I had managed to stop showing the extraneous side-bar Widgets which have no interest to me...nor it seems to many others.. do we really HAVE to be forced to view these whether or not indeed we want them.. AND if it detracts from our own individual viewing of what most I suspect really come on here for anyway..to read and discuss with other Members ???

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

We deleted your comments because if everyone did what you do and blocked all adverts the site would be closed within weeks.

If only adverts is all we can see then we will all be gone anyway.

Regarding the loss of the gallery summary widget:  This morning I checked the views on some images I placed in the album yesterday, and there have been one view across a number of them, but before the removal of the widget, I could track the views of the ones I would see appear in the widget.  Generally after appearing overnight there would be typically from 30-50 views of the ones that appeared.  This really made it worthwhile by knowing that at least somebody saw an image that I had sweated over,  otherwise the act of photography is rather pointless as a hobby.

I don't understand how the widget could be considered to be little used.

Brian

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,840Gear list
Like?

Simon Joinson wrote:

It seems that my own response to the request ...(note to the request...) of another poster here , seems to have mysteriously gone missing.. a visual informative reply to a question put to me as to how I had managed to stop showing the extraneous side-bar Widgets which have no interest to me...nor it seems to many others.. do we really HAVE to be forced to view these whether or not indeed we want them.. AND if it detracts from our own individual viewing of what most I suspect really come on here for anyway..to read and discuss with other Members ???

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Well.. it's "your" site but I have to express sincere doubts on what you put foirward.  I have had very great pleasure in communicating in many ways with many people on here with what I'd call 'like values'.. and with a serious interest in photography generally. Frankly within my whole working like - and thereafter - being involved in Professional business and direct connection with individual businesses and their finance... if it is indeed as you say about the site closing..then I must say that it speaks very little for the general quality of the site and all concerned with it. Frankly it is not replicated as a Forum in any other such similsr Forum sites I am aware of..not that I know many others,, but Forums are generally speaking for the purpose of verbal (or written in this case) passing of information. Adverts in any Forum are rarely seen n many others who seem to carry on very well.. their Members remain satisfied and I have to ask ..is it really absolutely necessary in the fullest sense to be so reliant on what is shown in side-Widgets..this Forum alone surely gives some impression of what I'm sure very many others equally believe.. the whole page is over-dominated by things that I surmise are rarely used or indeed are clearly not of such interest to many users.
It's "your" site..so I presume you will do as you feel right.. or as you wish.. but I would ask..is it not really asking for little.. to at least see just what sort of numbers do agree with having all these extras to distract.

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads