The LF1 came today

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Dan W
Senior MemberPosts: 2,150Gear list
Like?
The LF1 came today
11 months ago

I like it!  I've had a number of other Panasonic cameras including the FZ18, TZ3, LX3 and ZS7 and I think I'm going to like this one the best. The feature set is very nice, IMO, and the camera is easy to use. I love the size and weight; it practically weighs nothing and fits in a shirt pocket.

As for the viewfinder, it's small and suffers greatly in comparison to the beautiful LCD, but it works and will be useful to me.

Here are a few shots.

Jack Brandt, you know where this is.

The hummingbird was a bit underexposed. My fault, not the camera's.

I thought this was decent for 1600 ISO.

Macro seems good.

Some cameras would have a tough time with this shot. I took this at 200 ISO. I thought the detail was fine; it looked about the same with a shot I took at 400 ISO.

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7000 Sony a6000
Cariboo
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
Re: The LF1 came today
In reply to Dan W, 11 months ago

I got mine a few days ago & have been working through the settings & how best to use it. I appreciate all those that have contributed previously to help me make up my mind. I also ordered the Flipbac grip which I might not have known about other than from this group. I do find the LF1 to be a bit tough to grip out of some pockets, so the Flipbac might help. Almost anything raised could help grab it.
Have you been able to confirm if your LF1 or SD card allows for a full Burst mode of 10, 40 or 60 shots? Mine only displays 2 as an option with a SanDisk Ultra 30 MB/sec SDHD card?

Exposures in various lighting seem to be very good in auto modes. I was out shooting in the snow today & while aperture priority did under expose a little an mostly white scene, it wasn't too bad. Adding +2/3's helped, but I think a bit more would have been better. But with more trees in the shots, the exposures were very good as in the example here.

I like that the EVF has a memory, so it doesn't always default to the LCD view when powering on, but at times of just reviewing, then of course the LCD view isn't ready. Can't have it both ways I guess. The EVF to me is fine & with lots of info displayed that can be changed into 4? views.

It has a few quriks and I'm glad that I bought it on sale as I don't know if the image quality warrants full price. But it is a very nicely featured P&S.

I'm disappointed with the Panorama mode as it keeps telling me to pan faster and it seems to only want to do really long pans as sometimes I press on the shutter button to stop it when I want it to stop and then it gives me an error. I'd rather be able to pick how many images I want stitched vs. continuous panning. Also in low light, having to pan quickly gave me unsharp results. However, in bright conditions it should work better and I also appreciate the vertical sidways panning mode which in effect creates a wider angle view. I hope that I can figure out the panning mode better to deliver higher quality images. The one thing with these engineers is that they have to balance gimmicks with real features and I wonder how often they shoot in lower light conditions when the light is more pleasing vs. high noon. A camera like the LF1 has enough features to be more than for just P&S auto amateurs.

I like the WiFi / Smartphone system as a remote control. It connects easily to my older Android phone. I haven't joined the Lumix club yet and so uploading anything. It is a bit disappointing that the USB connection isn't common. I don't seem to have another cable around that fits, so I may have to buy another from Panasonic just to keep in the vehicle for charging. I do like the in camera charging option for in vehicle charging.

What is also amazing to me is the Image Stabilization. This image of the white tail deer was shot at 1/15 of a second @ 100 ISO, and I had 2 of 4 that were extremely sharp. That I didn't expect.

Whitetail Buck © Cariboo Photoraphy - All Rights Reserved.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,451Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cariboo, 11 months ago

"Image Stabilization"  One of Panasonic's compact camera strong points with the M.E.G.A. OIS for quite some time. New owners, thanks for sharing observations, images and ENJOY.

Dan W
Like?

Have you been able to confirm if your LF1 or SD card allows for a full Burst mode of 10, 40 or 60 shots? Mine only displays 2 as an option with a SanDisk Ultra 30 MB/sec SDHD card?

If you hit the display button, you'll get burst mode options from 2-60, plus a flash burst mode.

The camera is so tiny and light, it kind of feels like a toy, but it's a pretty powerful tool.

DW

Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7000 Sony a6000
Cariboo
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?

Ah, I see now. Hit Display button after Drive Mode button. Now I only get, 2-5-10 plus the flash, so am missing 40 and 60 fps, or am not on the correct mode for those two. Will read the manual again tomorrow. Thanks.

Dan W
Like?

You're welcome. If not the mode, maybe it's your card, as you mentioned.

Jack Brandt217
Forum ProPosts: 11,072
Like?

Dan, I do indeed know that location. You and I have worked it before. I really like what You have done with that little gem of a camera. Makes me lust after it and I am not one to jump at every new one  that comes along. Hope we see some more of your LF1work.

Jack

Dan W
Like?
In reply to Jack Brandt217, 11 months ago

I'll post more photos, Jack but I think you should treat yourself to this camera.

Dan

jpzundel
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?

I am very happy with my LF1.

Two hopefully helpful tips:

- find and then use the Quick menu button ( dual purpose button lower right: delete and QM). Regardless of what the lens ring is assigned to, it controls the function selected by QM when used immediately after using the QM button.

- I added a Flipbac G3 grip, the narrow one, which fits perfectly leaving room for the finger not to touch the around-the-lens-ring.  It is quite useful not only for a better grip, but also to retrieve the LF1 from a pocket.

jpzundel's gear list:jpzundel's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1
Pap38
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,476Gear list
Like?
Re: Dan...

It certainly looks like you are off to a good start with these images! Have fun!

Pap

Pap38's gear list:Pap38's gear list
Olympus E-PL7
Dan W
Like?
Re: Dan...
In reply to Pap38, 11 months ago

Thanks, Pap!

Dan

wolfd
Contributing MemberPosts: 901Gear list
Like?

A nice set Dan. Congrats on your new camera !!

wolfd's gear list:wolfd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Nikon D7000 +2 more
Dan W
Like?
In reply to wolfd, 11 months ago

Thanks. I'm out with the camera now and hopefully will get a few decent shots.

Dan

Dan W
Like?
In reply to jpzundel, 11 months ago

I do like the QM button. I'll have to look into the Flipbac.

Thanks.

Dan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads