About K3 user manual

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
soheil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,065Gear list
Like?
About K3 user manual
9 months ago

Am I right that it's only about 100 pages? I was looking at K5, Nikon D7100/610 and Canon 7D/5DIII manuals and they're all 200+ manuals. Maybe a more detailed user manual for K3 could solve some problems for users?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil
------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +18 more
Canon EOS 7D Nikon D7100 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,428Gear list
Like?
Re: About K3 user manual
In reply to soheil, 9 months ago

soheil wrote:

Am I right that it's only about 100 pages? I was looking at K5, Nikon D7100/610 and Canon 7D/5DIII manuals and they're all 200+ manuals. Maybe a more detailed user manual for K3 could solve some problems for users?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil

It's approx. 100 - 2up pages written in a font and size I couldn't have read when I was 20 and printed on recycled toilette paper. Other than that, It's superb...

Obviously Ricoh doesn't have quite the press room Pentax/Hoya did. This was a step in the wrong direction. Just sayin'

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.youtube.com/photouniverse
www.edwardthomasart.com
www.pbase.com/edwardthomas

Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-E2 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,336Gear list
Like?
In reply to Qwntm, 9 months ago

Qwntm wrote:

soheil wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil

It's approx. 100 - 2up pages written in a font and size I couldn't have read when I was 20 and printed on recycled toilette paper. Other than that, It's superb...

Obviously Ricoh doesn't have quite the press room Pentax/Hoya did. This was a step in the wrong direction. Just sayin'

The hard copy isn't worth a pinch of you know what. The digital (PDF) is better but then you have the additional difficulty that comes with "flicking" through an on-screen document. Mind you, the hyperlinks are nice. But the manual in either version certainly offers no additional information or explanation. The bare bones is what you get.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Wallace Ross
Senior MemberPosts: 1,902
Like?

On the plus side you can carry it with you, but the camera is pretty intuitive you won't need it for long.

-- hide signature --
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,336Gear list
Like?
K3 user manual - yes carry it with you ....
In reply to Wallace Ross, 9 months ago

Wallace Ross wrote:

On the plus side you can carry it with you, but the camera is pretty intuitive you won't need it for long.

I "carry it with me" as a PDF document in my smartphone. My phone is never far from me.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?

I just spent a couple hours tooling around on the Pentax sections of the Ricoh website again earlier today, and although the manual for the K-3 isn't available for download on the US Ricoh website, it IS available from the Global site (MANY things available from the GLOBAL site are in Japanese, but thankfully THIS is in English). I took a look at the file size and it was MASSIVELY DIFFERENT from the one I downloaded about 6 weeks ago, so I downloaded it again.

The one I downloaded a few hours ago (12-9-13) is 7,963 KB and 112 pages long; the one I downloaded 10-23-13 is 10,382 KB and 114 pages long (both these lengths are according to Adobe Acrobat Reader. In practice, when I printed out the one I downloaded earlier I think it printed out to only about 96 pages.

At any rate, since I initially thought the newer manual was longer, as I believed 112 was more pages (didn't open up the older one for comparison until just now), I decided to do ONE sample search to see if I could find where they may have ADDED some new stuff I KNOW was lacking in the 10-23-13 manual, and they DID. There's a good deal MORE about eye-fi AND Flucard usage in the current manual, the one that's 2,400 KB SMALLER, although there STILL isn't comprehensive information about use of the Flucard. However, in the FIRST manual, the VERY LIMITED info on the Flucard said it would allow transfer and tethering with a "Smartphone," and that was ALL it said. The NEWER manual says it will allow it via either an iPhone OR one running Android OR an iPad or Android TABLET. I've been waiting to see where I go with a tablet or smartphone purchase in large part to see what happens with this Flucard technology.

Of course the Flucard still isn't listed for sale (or even for PRE-SALE). It shows up on an accessory list on the Global site (in Japanese), but since I can't read Japanese, I can't tell what it says, and NOTHING on that page has a link on it. There's NO Flucard listing on the US Pentax Accessories Page yet, period.

Anway, I just thought anyone who wants to keep apprised of the latest developments might want to go to the global Ricoh website and download the NEW-AND-IMPROVED K-3 Owner's Manual. Heck, it might even address some of these blur issues that are driving some folks insane. I don't know; I haven't read it all the way through again, yet.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Conjure
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?

soheil wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil

Ricoh should hire Andrew to write the manual:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52623128

cheers

Anton

SteveTK
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to JeffAHayes, 9 months ago

JeffAHayes wrote:

....... The NEWER manual says it will allow it via either an iPhone OR one running Android OR an iPad or Android TABLET. I've been waiting to see where I go with a tablet or smartphone purchase in large part to see what happens with this Flucard technology.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

Jeff, what was the page number where you found the above? I have just downloaded a 112 page manual from,

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/

and having searched, I can't find any occurrence of the words "android" or "tablet" in that manual.

Can it be that there are now THREE manuals available? The original 114 page one and now, two versions of one that is 112 pages long?

Steve

dicks0
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?

The "booklet" is really a bit embarrassing for such an expensive piece of equipment. Very small print and in the German version some words used are not the same as shown on the menus (example: ISO settings).

As I have found my way thought the menus pretty easily already there is really not much more information in the booklet - but will keep it as a reference. The tip re. the PDF is a good idea as it seems to be updated regularly. And it will fit nicely on my phone too

dicks0's gear list:dicks0's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Pentax smc DA 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 ED SDM HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
soheil
Like?
The most embarrassing part of the manual

is the section on flash photography. Both Canon and Nikon have a very interesting flash menu systems. I hope Ricoh tries to coupe with this rudimentary flash system of Pentax, although most of our routine needs are fulfilled by Pentax flash system.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil

rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,392Gear list
Like?

That's 100 pages that you don't have ... not to read  , you should feel good about that, it makes not reading the manual 50% better!

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
soheil
Like?
In reply to rogerstpierre, 9 months ago

rogerstpierre wrote:

That's 100 pages that you don't have ... not to read , you should feel good about that, it makes not reading the manual 50% better!

-- hide signature --

Roger

It would feel better if I don't have to read a 1000 pages manual  

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil

maxola67
Regular MemberPosts: 111Gear list
Like?

Very strange fact!

My only Russian manual for K5-II has more 400 pages.

But K5-II is simpler than K3 is.

maxola67's gear list:maxola67's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?
In reply to SteveTK, 9 months ago

SteveTK wrote:

JeffAHayes wrote:

....... The NEWER manual says it will allow it via either an iPhone OR one running Android OR an iPad or Android TABLET. I've been waiting to see where I go with a tablet or smartphone purchase in large part to see what happens with this Flucard technology.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

Jeff, what was the page number where you found the above? I have just downloaded a 112 page manual from,

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/

and having searched, I can't find any occurrence of the words "android" or "tablet" in that manual.

Can it be that there are now THREE manuals available? The original 114 page one and now, two versions of one that is 112 pages long?

Steve

My bad, Steve.

It appears I must have been half asleep, or something, when I read the sections relating to the Flucard in the newer version of the manual (still LOTS more info than in the first, 3 MB larger, but same page-count version). I've just gone through it again -- twice, searching for "Flucard" and then reading everything immediately preceding or following the term, and I can't find the words "Android," "iPad" or "Tablet," either. What I DID find is...

"... images can be transferred from the camera to a computer or other device via wireless LAN...."

The further on in the manual it's stated that "A smartphone may be used to operate this camera when a Flucard compatible with this camera is used. Refer to the Flucard manual for details on how to use the card."

And that's pretty much it. Just in case the newer version I downloaded WAS different from the one you downloaded, I downloaded from the link you sent me. But the file sizes are IDENTICAL, so I'm assuming it's the same manual.

At any rate, just the little bit printed in the "second edition" of the manual above is REAMS MORE than was in the first version. There was more info surrounding each of the things I quoted about how to turn features on and off. None of that was in the first manual, either. If I recall correctly, ALL that was in the first manual was the last two sentences I quoted above, in italics.

Sorry for adding to the confusion. At any rate, it appears it will still be MONTHS before we have this "dedicated Flucard," anyway, so I don't think it's an issue until then, unless you're chomping at the bit to buy a new pad or smartphone and want to make sure it will work with the Flucard. Me? I think I'll wait and see.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
Two columns per page in K-3 manual

That should explain it.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

soheil
Like?
Maybe
In reply to Leandros S, 9 months ago

Leandros S wrote:

That should explain it.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

I was reviewing the flash section on K5II and K3 manuals. In K5II it's published from page 162 to 175 and in K3 manual it consists of two columns on page 43 and one in 44, and a column on page 84 and two more on page 86 (uhhh). That totals 6 columns equal to 6 pages, there's still less contents than k5II manual.

However, two column format is mostly compensating for less pages

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads