G12 moving on to G15,G16,SX50?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
xinxin90
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
G12 moving on to G15,G16,SX50?
7 months ago

Hi guys i am seeking advices from you all.
I have a G12 but is having lens error i think it is already dead. Would like to get a replacement for it. Any suggestion of any models? I was looking at G15(cheaper), G16(newer model), G1X(good?), SX50..
Any words of advice? My g12 has a flip screen which is pretty good for me when i wanna do a group self shot
Thank you! Hope to hear from u all

Florida paddler
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: G12 moving on to G15,G16,SX50?
In reply to xinxin90, 7 months ago

I went from a G12 to the G1x.  The jump in picture quality was quite impressive, but the camera has some big holes in its capabilities.  The largest was in its inability to focus on near objects, especially when performing any zooming at all.  You have to use the macro mode for portrait photography.  While I love the camera and won't part with it easily, I really missed many of the G12 capabilities.

I bought the G15 as soon as I had saved enough to get it.  Picture quality is above the G12 but not quite the level of the G1x.  It does fill in the gaps in the G1x game for macro and close up photography.  The thing I really miss from the G12 is the articulated screen.  Is it a better camera than the G12?  Yes, but it does not handle in as satisfying a manner as the G12.

Frank

Florida paddler's gear list:Florida paddler's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-A1 Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Biff Exploder
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?

I have the SX40 right now, and i've wondered about the same cameras as you, the G15 and G16 seem like a good deal but looking at the reviews i wonder if the quality of the picture justifies the price from my SX40, and then there's the G1x, the quality of the photos even in low light is amazing, but then i also read about the problems with focus at close range.

And then there's the zoom, all of them (except the SX50) have a gigantic lack of zooming ability compared to the SX40, and the problem with a super zoom camera is, when you get used to having all that zoom, it's incredibly hard to turn away from it, there's always the option of carrying the G1X and the SX40 but that's alot of weight to carry around

This is why i'm waiting to see what the SX60 is like, i'm hoping to see the quality of at least a G16 with the bonus of the super zoom.

If not, the SX40 seems to do the job

Biff Exploder's gear list:Biff Exploder's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS +2 more
xinxin90
Like?
In reply to Florida paddler, 7 months ago

I went from a G12 to the G1x.  The jump in picture quality was quite impressive, but the camera has some big holes in its capabilities.  The largest was in its inability to focus on near objects, especially when performing any zooming at all.  You have to use the macro mode for portrait photography.  While I love the camera and won't part with it easily, I really missed many of the G12 capabilities.

I bought the G15 as soon as I had saved enough to get it.  Picture quality is above the G12 but not quite the level of the G1x.  It does fill in the gaps in the G1x game for macro and close up photography.  The thing I really miss from the G12 is the articulated screen.  Is it a better camera than the G12?  Yes, but it does not handle in as satisfying a manner as the G12.

Frank

Yeah i missed using my G12 having thoughts of getting a 2nd hand one but seems not to be worth the money. So might as well get a new camera will be better! Thanks for sharing your experiences! hard to make a choice really.

xinxin90
Like?
In reply to Biff Exploder, 7 months ago

I have the SX40 right now, and i've wondered about the same cameras as you, the G15 and G16 seem like a good deal but looking at the reviews i wonder if the quality of the picture justifies the price from my SX40, and then there's the G1x, the quality of the photos even in low light is amazing, but then i also read about the problems with focus at close range.

And then there's the zoom, all of them (except the SX50) have a gigantic lack of zooming ability compared to the SX40, and the problem with a super zoom camera is, when you get used to having all that zoom, it's incredibly hard to turn away from it, there's always the option of carrying the G1X and the SX40 but that's alot of weight to carry around

This is why i'm waiting to see what the SX60 is like, i'm hoping to see the quality of at least a G16 with the bonus of the super zoom.

Yeah G series zoom factor is lacking! But produces better quality photos as compared to the SX series i guess? dilemma on which to get haha! Continue to save up while deciding!

Lolrogge
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?

Canon USA lists a refurbished G12 for $280.  They come with a one year warranty, so if you wanted to stay with a G12 this may be a way?

Lolrogge's gear list:Lolrogge's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5100
ryanshoots
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?

xinxin90 wrote:

I went from a G12 to the G1x. The jump in picture quality was quite impressive, but the camera has some big holes in its capabilities. The largest was in its inability to focus on near objects, especially when performing any zooming at all. You have to use the macro mode for portrait photography. While I love the camera and won't part with it easily, I really missed many of the G12 capabilities.

I bought the G15 as soon as I had saved enough to get it. Picture quality is above the G12 but not quite the level of the G1x. It does fill in the gaps in the G1x game for macro and close up photography. The thing I really miss from the G12 is the articulated screen. Is it a better camera than the G12? Yes, but it does not handle in as satisfying a manner as the G12.

Frank

Yeah i missed using my G12 having thoughts of getting a 2nd hand one but seems not to be worth the money. So might as well get a new camera will be better! Thanks for sharing your experiences! hard to make a choice really.

Canon refurb G12's are $279. Call Canon and ask about their loyalty program. Basically you'll send in your broken G12 and get another 20% off the $279.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-powershot-digital-cameras/powershot-g12-refurbished

Call the loyalty program at 866-443-8002

They may also have the G15 in the program and you could get a similar 20% off it's price of $404

coody
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?
What else but G15. The G16 is much faster than G15. The others depend on whether you like the zoom
No text.
xinxin90
Like?
In reply to Lolrogge, 7 months ago

Canon USA lists a refurbished G12 for $280.  They come with a one year warranty, so if you wanted to stay with a G12 this may be a way?

However i stay in Singapore and then i need to consider the shipping fees

crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,826Gear list
Like?

xinxin90 wrote:

Yeah G series zoom factor is lacking! But produces better quality photos as compared to the SX series i guess? dilemma on which to get haha! Continue to save up while deciding!

That is trully one of those most asked questions in amateur photography these days. To zoom or not to zoom? Of course, there must be a compromise everytime. I can just bring down your fear of lack of zoom little bit.
Let´s start:

There are camera models, which let you zoom a bit more than nothing. For starter Canon Powershot G15/G16 with 140mm range. Better one is Nikon P7700/7800 with 200mm range, and there is Olympus Stylus1 with 300mm fast f/2,8 lens. Quite good. Cameras with better IQ will often let you crop a bit more, because it retains more detail. You can easily add a 1,3 ratio to the end of focal range, to make it on par with quality of cheaper bridge cameras. You often can buy very usable and high quality teleconverters to add some "lenght" to it. That way, you can get up to 250-350mm alternative-ish focal lenght with non-great-zoom cams, which is pretty usable! You just loose those stellar (stative used) moon shots. That is not much of a pain in my eyes, because you can still do 99% of good photography. Because you won´t make handheld shots above 200mm of focal range anyway. It would tend to be blurry from your shaking hands.

I believe that some will agree with my statement: These days, zoom is used just to shock other people with how zoomed image you were able to get. Nothing more from it. With no zoom, majority of those photographers will have nothing to show, and that´s bad thing. It´s time to move on, and start to deal real photography which has something more to say. So I recommend you to leave your zoom thoughts, not only because of that, but because high quality photos above 300mm range are quite pricey for photographers who really "mean it".

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
xinxin90
Like?
In reply to ryanshoots, 7 months ago

xinxin90 wrote:

I went from a G12 to the G1x. The jump in picture quality was quite impressive, but the camera has some big holes in its capabilities. The largest was in its inability to focus on near objects, especially when performing any zooming at all. You have to use the macro mode for portrait photography. While I love the camera and won't part with it easily, I really missed many of the G12 capabilities.

I bought the G15 as soon as I had saved enough to get it. Picture quality is above the G12 but not quite the level of the G1x. It does fill in the gaps in the G1x game for macro and close up photography. The thing I really miss from the G12 is the articulated screen. Is it a better camera than the G12? Yes, but it does not handle in as satisfying a manner as the G12.

Frank

Canon refurb G12's are $279. Call Canon and ask about their loyalty program. Basically you'll send in your broken G12 and get another 20% off the $279.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-powershot-digital-cameras/powershot-g12-refurbished

Call the loyalty program at 866-443-8002

They may also have the G15 in the program and you could get a similar 20% off it's price of $404

Really i am afraid maybe it does not apply to singapore?

Biff Exploder
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?
In reply to crashpc, 7 months ago

I use the Zoom too much for my wallpapers, specially with the raynox lens

These are just some examples (no raynox shots because i have way too many and i don't want to flood this thread

Both these last shots were taken from the same place as this one.

Biff Exploder's gear list:Biff Exploder's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS +2 more
crashpc
Like?
In reply to Biff Exploder, 7 months ago

You have it, you use it. That´s pretty cool. I´m glad there are people who do. But I strongly believe, that you are not the majority I´m talking about.  And to make it worse, I see some of those pictures a bit (too)flat in my eyes. That´s what long docal lenght usually does. No way around it. Anyway what I wanted to say is, that definite difference between HQ compact cam and SX50 is not truly almost full 1100mm if you go for it. There are longer zoom HQ cams, there are teleconverters, there can be more cropping. It just depends on what does asker want to do.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

xinxin90
Like?

xinxin90 wrote:

That is trully one of those most asked questions in amateur photography these days. To zoom or not to zoom? Of course, there must be a compromise everytime. I can just bring down your fear of lack of zoom little bit.
Let´s start:

There are camera models, which let you zoom a bit more than nothing. For starter Canon Powershot G15/G16 with 140mm range. Better one is Nikon P7700/7800 with 200mm range, and there is Olympus Stylus1 with 300mm fast f/2,8 lens. Quite good. Cameras with better IQ will often let you crop a bit more, because it retains more detail. You can easily add a 1,3 ratio to the end of focal range, to make it on par with quality of cheaper bridge cameras. You often can buy very usable and high quality teleconverters to add some "lenght" to it. That way, you can get up to 250-350mm alternative-ish focal lenght with non-great-zoom cams, which is pretty usable! You just loose those stellar (stative used) moon shots. That is not much of a pain in my eyes, because you can still do 99% of good photography. Because you won´t make handheld shots above 200mm of focal range anyway. It would tend to be blurry from your shaking hands.

I believe that some will agree with my statement: These days, zoom is used just to shock other people with how zoomed image you were able to get. Nothing more from it. With no zoom, majority of those photographers will have nothing to show, and that´s bad thing. It´s time to move on, and start to deal real photography which has something more to say. So I recommend you to leave your zoom thoughts, not only because of that, but because high quality photos above 300mm range are quite pricey for photographers who really "mean it".

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

Hmm thanks for the sharing of knowledge. I think i would most probably be getting G16? The price for g15 and g16 is about SGD100+ difference. So is g16 worth the difference in price? How nice if g16 actually has a flip screen!

filibuster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,705
Like?

How nice if g16 actually has a flip screen!

Not just nice; but for some of us, imperative.

For me, if I discover a new camera on the market does not have a flip screen, then I do not even bother to read the reviews.

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

xinxin90
Like?
In reply to filibuster, 7 months ago

How nice if g16 actually has a flip screen!

Not just nice; but for some of us, imperative.

For me, if I discover a new camera on the market does not have a flip screen, then I do not even bother to read the reviews.

-- hide signature --

Hmm what would you recommend for those w flip screen?

crashpc
Like?

It really depends. While I needed compact cam, I´m happy that G15 does not have flip screen. It´s also one more thing to get broken down.

While G16 is a tad faster, and has more features, I don´t see great improvement (in fact clearly none at all) in IQ and handling. I was in decision between G15 and G16 days ago, and G15 clearly won for price/value ratio. I also managed to get free Sony good quality teleconverter, so I can go past Nikon P7800 with focal range.

I won´t lie about it. I still miss something about this cam. I keep looking for another cams online, but everytime I do, I realize that there is no better product in that price and size range. I came down from DSLR, so that can be the case, but mobility is vital for me. For my cam...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

xinxin90
Like?

It really depends. While I needed compact cam, I´m happy that G15 does not have flip screen. It´s also one more thing to get broken down.

While G16 is a tad faster, and has more features, I don´t see great improvement (in fact clearly none at all) in IQ and handling. I was in decision between G15 and G16 days ago, and G15 clearly won for price/value ratio. I also managed to get free Sony good quality teleconverter, so I can go past Nikon P7800 with focal range.

I won´t lie about it. I still miss something about this cam. I keep looking for another cams online, but everytime I do, I realize that there is no better product in that price and size range. I came down from DSLR, so that can be the case, but mobility is vital for me. For my cam...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

Alright, haha! I am not a dslr so my expectations may not be as high as u haha!

G15 or G16 lol! Good question..

filibuster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,705
Like?

xinxin90 wrote:

The SX50 is on your list and it has a flip screen. Just because it is a superzoom doesn’t mean you HAVE to superzoom. It’s there if you need it.

I’ll qualify what I said about a flip screen being a prime consideration. It’s all about my shooting technique. I can hold my camera rock steady at waist level thanks to the angled lCD and ream off shots at extraordinarily slow shutter speeds without incurring camera shake. And when I say slow, I mean 1/3 to 1 second exposure sort of slow. With this sort of control, it also means I can keep at base ISO, so important with these pin-head sized sensors.

Try doing this with a camera held away from you like a wet diaper, with all that potential pivotal movement of shoulders, elbows and wrist joints.

I've had many 'flip-screen' cameras, but the image stabilisation of the SX50 is out of the ordinary.

Below at 1/3 sec

Below at 1/5 sec

Below at 1/8 sec

Below at ½ sec

Below at 1 sec

-- hide signature --

xinxin90
Like?

xinxin90 wrote:

The SX50 is on your list and it has a flip screen. Just because it is a superzoom doesn’t mean you HAVE to superzoom. It’s there if you need it.

I’ll qualify what I said about a flip screen being a prime consideration. It’s all about my shooting technique. I can hold my camera rock steady at waist level thanks to the angled lCD and ream off shots at extraordinarily slow shutter speeds without incurring camera shake. And when I say slow, I mean 1/3 to 1 second exposure sort of slow. With this sort of control, it also means I can keep at base ISO, so important with these pin-head sized sensors.

Try doing this with a camera held away from you like a wet diaper, with all that potential pivotal movement of shoulders, elbows and wrist joints.

I've had many 'flip-screen' cameras, but the image stabilisation of the SX50 is out of the ordinary.

Below at 1/3 sec

Below at 1/5 sec

Below at 1/8 sec

Below at ½ sec

Below at 1 sec

-- hide signature --

Nice, how's the performance of SX 50 in low light? By any chance is SX 60 going to be out soon? Heard rumors that its coming out in jan 2014. Maybe i should wait, i wanted a new camera in late jan before the lunar Chinese New Year

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads