Put welfare recipients to work catching pythons in Florida

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
kixigvaq
Senior MemberPosts: 1,108
Like?
Put welfare recipients to work catching pythons in Florida
Dec 10, 2013

What's important in getting on the career ladder is that first real job. Many people go right on welfare and miss out on the critical first step. Because Florida has a problem with Burmese pythons running hogwild in the swamps I say we put welfare people to work catching those giant snakes. This could be the career move than gets them back on track. A giant python is nothing to be afraid of. It might even give you a friendly hug! This is a win-win proposal. Good for the state's native wildlife and good for the welfare animals. They want to work!

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

The Jacal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258Gear list
Like?
Re: Put welfare recipients to work catching pythons in Florida
In reply to kixigvaq, Dec 10, 2013

kixigvaq wrote:

What's important in getting on the career ladder is that first real job. Many people go right on welfare and miss out on the critical first step. Because Florida has a problem with Burmese pythons running hogwild in the swamps I say we put welfare people to work catching those giant snakes. This could be the career move than gets them back on track. A giant python is nothing to be afraid of. It might even give you a friendly hug! This is a win-win proposal. Good for the state's native wildlife and good for the welfare animals. They want to work!

Or just get them to run through minefields ahead of the troops in Afghanistan.

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7467981@N05/
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

The Jacal's gear list:The Jacal's gear list
Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hansa Yindee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,846Gear list
Like?

kixigvaq wrote:

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

Perfect for "On the Job Training".

Once they have some job skills under their belt send

em over here. I could sure use a little  help with all the

King and Siam Cobras around our house !

Take the cowards caught playing "the knock out game"

and see how they stand up to a pi$$ed off King Cobra ! ..;-)~

.. 10 foot King Cobra I took out with my short bamboo walking stick next to our house.

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand
www.flickr.com/photos/af2899/

Hansa Yindee's gear list:Hansa Yindee's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D1X Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
kixigvaq
Like?
Can your dog deal with cobras?
In reply to Hansa Yindee, Dec 10, 2013

How often do you get them around the house?

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

Hansa Yindee
Like?
Re: Can your dog deal with cobras?

kixigvaq wrote:

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

Often !

Cobras use the river we live on as a highway.

1 or 2 a week, sometimes 1 or 2 a month..;-)

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand

Nikon D50 Nikon D1X Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,650
Like?
In reply to The Jacal, Dec 10, 2013

The Jacal wrote:

kixigvaq wrote:

Which should we send, the single mothers or their hungry children?

Aloeignut
Contributing MemberPosts: 676
Like?

Great idea!

Rupert Bottomsworth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,652
Like?

kixigvaq wrote:

Since it's your idea, why don't you show them how it's done.

lol101
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,294Gear list
Like?
In reply to tkbslc, Dec 10, 2013

tkbslc wrote:

The Jacal wrote:

kixigvaq wrote:

First the hungry children of course... the single mothers will follow naturally...

lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 1000D Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
Rupert Bottomsworth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,652
Like?

kixigvaq wrote:

Considering banks, the big corporations and wall street have been the biggest recipients of welfare in recent times, let's get the CEOs and stock traders on to the job!

The Jacal
Like?

tkbslc wrote:

The Jacal wrote:

kixigvaq wrote:

But catching snakes is no problem with you?

-- hide signature --

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." Richard Dawkins.

Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-P2 +17 more
KEVZPHOTOS
Forum ProPosts: 18,670
Like?
In reply to Hansa Yindee, Dec 10, 2013

Hansa Yindee wrote:

kixigvaq wrote:

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

Often !

Seriously, how on Earth can you deal with that?

A 10ft King Cobra is absolutely lethal...I read that it has enough venom to technically kill 20 adults.

What about when you walk outside your house at night, etc?

How can you be sure not to step on one or get bitten?

KEV

-- hide signature --

"No problem can be solved at the level of consciousness which created it" - Albert Einstein

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,650
Like?
In reply to The Jacal, Dec 10, 2013

The Jacal wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

The Jacal wrote:

kixigvaq wrote:

I don't think that I ever implied that it was.

The Jacal
Like?

tkbslc wrote:

The Jacal wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

The Jacal wrote:

kixigvaq wrote:

I don't think that I ever implied that it was.

Well, you didn't jump on the OP for his suggestion.

-- hide signature --

kixigvaq
Like?
When I was in Israel…..
In reply to KEVZPHOTOS, Dec 10, 2013

When I was in Israel I had to deal with at least six different varieties of deadly snakes. The first day the first Hebrew I learned was "Nahash! Lo Tov!" We were picking up bales of straw and under every bale was at least one of the deadly reptiles.

Once I went to take a shower and was just getting in when I noticed a very large, scary looking snake in the stall opposite me. I jumped for the door, attempting to grab my towel on the way out. Missed the towel and was standing outside naked when a kibbutznik walked up. "What's the matter James?" I told him there was a snake in the shower room. He peeked in and made a sound of amazement. "That's a bad one! We don't usually get them around here!" He called the snake man and I eventually got to take my shower.

The king cobra is the most frightening, in my opinion.

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

Hansa Yindee
Like?
In reply to KEVZPHOTOS, Dec 11, 2013

KEVZPHOTOS wrote:

Hansa Yindee wrote:

kixigvaq wrote:

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

Often !

Seriously, how on Earth can you deal with that?

We have many bamboo sticks stationed around the area in case one is encountered.

A 10ft King Cobra is absolutely lethal...I read that it has enough venom to technically kill 20 adults.

At least 20 adults. Largest King Cobra found around our home was 4 plus meters.

It's head was at one end of a building while its tail was at the other end.Building was

just over 4 meters long.

What about when you walk outside your house at night, etc?

Always have a bamboo walking stick in hand tapping the ground, plus a flashlight.

They are very sensitive to vibration and for the most part try to avoid encounters.

How can you be sure not to step on one or get bitten?

There are many other poison snakes here as well.Some are in the trees so keep

looking up and watch where you walk !

KEV

-- hide signature --

"No problem can be solved at the level of consciousness which created it" - Albert Einstein

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand

Hansa Yindee
Like?
Re: When I was in Israel…..
In reply to kixigvaq, Dec 11, 2013

kixigvaq wrote:

When I was in Israel I had to deal with at least six different varieties of deadly snakes. The first day the first Hebrew I learned was "Nahash! Lo Tov!" We were picking up bales of straw and under every bale was at least one of the deadly reptiles.

Once I went to take a shower and was just getting in when I noticed a very large, scary looking snake in the stall opposite me. I jumped for the door, attempting to grab my towel on the way out. Missed the towel and was standing outside naked when a kibbutznik walked up. "What's the matter James?" I told him there was a snake in the shower room. He peeked in and made a sound of amazement. "That's a bad one! We don't usually get them around here!" He called the snake man and I eventually got to take my shower.

I've been in combat, close quarter hand to hand,  blown up and bayoneted .

But there is still nothing that compares to going toe to tail with a King Cobra.

My preferred weapon of choice is a 5 ft bamboo walking stick with a 3 ft stick

for back up. The 3 ft stick has saved my a$$ on more than one encounter.

Not only living on a river, we have lots of bamboo growing here, and the cobras

love bamboo for making nests.

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand

KEVZPHOTOS
Like?
In reply to kixigvaq, Dec 11, 2013

kixigvaq wrote:

When I was in Israel I had to deal with at least six different varieties of deadly snakes. The first day the first Hebrew I learned was "Nahash! Lo Tov!"

Yes, watch out for those serpents

There are about 10 venomous snakes in Israel....with the blunt nosed vipers and asps the most deadly...and aggressive.

However, the Mediterranean basin snakes (or serpents as you like to call them ...are nowhere near as lethal as the snakes in SE Asia and Australia.

There are Egyptian cobras in the southern Negev and Sinai regions too.

However, I can honestly say...that all the time I was in Israel I only saw two snakes whilst working out in the fields...and that's rather surprising, as I worked extensively with irrigation systems, banana plantation irrigation, and did various different jobs with regard to the large harvests...citrus, dates, mangoes, sugar-beets, olives, etc - so spent nearly all my time outdoors.

There are dangerous snakes (of course) but the population numbers must be quite low in this region...because I never saw a single snake...actually within the kibbutz housing/living/garden areas in all those years...nor around the kibbutz swimming pool grounds...which was located on the edge of the village....next to where the agricultural fields began.

Cutting down huge banana bunches is extremely hard work...and the BIG spiders (and rats sometimes) like to crawl up inside the plastic sacks that are placed over the bananas just before picking.

So you cut down a large bunch onto your shoulder-pad to carry it away to the truck...and suddenly SURPRISE...a huge spider or rat comes rushing out of the plastic right next to your neck/head - ho lee crappers, that can indeed startle the calmest of blokes - LOL!!!!

But, I never found a snake in the bunches - weird eh?

Otherwise, I would have sh!t my speedos

KEV

-- hide signature --

KEVZPHOTOS
Like?
In reply to Hansa Yindee, Dec 11, 2013

Hansa Yindee wrote:

kixigvaq wrote:

I've been in combat, close quarter hand to hand, blown up and bayoneted .

But there is still nothing that compares to going toe to tail with a King Cobra.

My preferred weapon of choice is a 5 ft bamboo walking stick with a 3 ft stick

for back up. The 3 ft stick has saved my a$$ on more than one encounter.

Not only living on a river, we have lots of bamboo growing here, and the cobras

love bamboo for making nests.

-- hide signature --

Abyssus abyssum invocat

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand

Now, this may been like a rather trivial (or even irrelevant) question to a man of your "bamboo stick" caliber ....BUT, why on Earth would YOU actually want to live around such dangerous snakes at such close proximity?

How can YOU ever completely relax 100% whilst sitting outside by your house, say in the sun...reading a book or whatever, or walking around the local area, etc.

What if they ever actually come 'inside' your house - ho lee crappers

With those lethal creatures in such close proximity all the time - one must always have to be on the lookout for them...and therefore, kinda on edge, or at least always aware.

I can't imagine living like that.

KEV

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads