Traveling: E-M5 or X-E2. Which would you bring?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
camrnw
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?
Traveling: E-M5 or X-E2. Which would you bring?
8 months ago

I have two kits at home, and am debating which one to bring while traveling:

Olympus OM-D E-M5

• 14mm f/2.5
  • 25mm f/1.4
  • 45mm f/1.8

Fuji X-E2

• Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4

I can definitely see the pros/cons of bringing either. For the Olympus, it's the full range of lens choices, fast AF, and great EVF. It's the camera I trust to get the right shots. For the Fuji, though limited to one (manual) lens, that limitation can in a way be freeing - no need to change lenses. The EVF still doesn't quite compare to the Olympus though, and having to manually focus I will likely miss many shots. There is also one important point: the Fuji makes me want to go out and take pictures, whereas the Olympus feels like a tool.

Which would you pick?

camrnw's gear list:camrnw's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
ANSWER:
Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JdKen
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
Re: Traveling: E-M5 or X-E2. Which would you bring?
In reply to camrnw, 8 months ago

Easy. I'd pick the one that makes me want to take pictures. That overrides everything else for me.

JdKen's gear list:JdKen's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
johnbandry
Contributing MemberPosts: 542Gear list
Like?
Simple

I would sell the Olympus kit, which you clearly don't enjoy using, and buy a decent set of Fuji lenses. Then take the XE2.

-- hide signature --

John Bandry

johnbandry's gear list:johnbandry's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,257Gear list
Like?
Re: Simple
In reply to johnbandry, 8 months ago

johnbandry wrote:

I would sell the Olympus kit, which you clearly don't enjoy using, and buy a decent set of Fuji lenses. Then take the XE2.

-- hide signature --

John Bandry

Absolutely second John's answer. It's a no brainer.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
camrnw
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, 8 months ago

Ha. It's not that simple. The likelihood of me buying an APSC (or FF) camera system is going to be low until they can produce glass that's small enough.

I enjoy using my OMD enough to not sell it.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
MikeyLNG
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?

Very surprised to read the comment about the EM-5 viewfinder being better than the X-E2's. The latter is double the resolution and should have similar, if not not better refresh rate, and I think I remember reading that the magnification is similar too.

MikeyLNG's gear list:MikeyLNG's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
jgoldstein2000
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?

Buy a GM1 and put your 12mm on it and put it in your pocket and take the XE-2 with the 35mm voigtlander.

In all seriousness this is what I will be doing my next trip.

-- hide signature --
kewlguy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534Gear list
Like?

Should have been X-E2 + 18-55. Simple

But looking at what you have - take the Oly.

kewlguy's gear list:kewlguy's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Nikon 1 J1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,432Gear list
Like?

As someone who shoots travel not only for pleasure but also for work, I beg you to ignore some of the advice you have been given thus far. This is not about "my camera is better than yours" type arguments, and I actually think you spelled out the answer for yourself here. Let me explain.

camrnw wrote:

Olympus OM-D E-M5

• 14mm f/2.5
  • 25mm f/1.4
  • 45mm f/1.8

Fuji X-E2

I can definitely see the pros/cons of bringing either. For the Olympus, it's the full range of lens choices, fast AF, and great EVF. It's the camera I trust to get the right shots.

That's it right there. It pretty much ends with that last statement. You HAVE TO trust your equipment. Period. End of story.

The Fuji X-E2 can be a very trustworthy camera, even more so than previous models due to AF improvements and various other advancements, however, learning to trust your gear is best done under low risk circumstances, where "getting the shot" is not all that important to you. Typically, going on vacation or some sort of travel arrangement is an occasion where you want to take in the scenery and shoot with ease, allowing your camera to be an extension of you as much as possible, not something you aren't fully sure of. It doesn't matter what camera or what manufacturer.

For the Fuji, though limited to one (manual) lens, that limitation can in a way be freeing - no need to change lenses.

This is absolutely true, as long as you are comfortable with the combo. That is the beauty of the X100 or X100S if 35mm is your cup of tea. Personally, I shot Paris and Belgium this summer and I only took 2 lenses, a 21mm and a 35mm, all manual focus (Leica body and lenses). That was it, but I was already comfortable with that setup, and trusted it fully. I prefer manual focus, and so on.

The X-E2 is great camera. If you can cozy up to it in time for your trip and you are comfortable, having put the camera and your available lens/lenses through their paces, then great. If you need a little more time, then take that time, and travel with your E-M5. What are you losing really? While I love the handling of Fuji cameras, more so than the E-M5, just look at how well the E-M5 has been received and reviewed. Look at how much success has been had with it. There is no reason to place it on the shelf if it is the system you currently trust the most as you state.

The EVF still doesn't quite compare to the Olympus though, and having to manually focus I will likely miss many shots.

As I said, manual focus is great, and for some of us it is preferred, but reading this statement, I would definitely suggest that your travel time not be the occasion to work this one out.

There is also one important point: the Fuji makes me want to go out and take pictures, whereas the Olympus feels like a tool.

This can be written off as almost irrational, since you either want to take pictures or you don't, but truth be told, I understand this feeling. Certain gear can feel inspiring, and photography is a lot about the journey as much as it is about the results. Just don't spoil the memory of the journey by spending time wrestling with equipment the whole time, and don't frustrate yourself pouring over the results to find out of focus or improperly exposed images. There will always be another trip, and by then your Fuji kit could look different, and your level of trust in it could be much higher.

Which would you pick?

In conclusion, I think the logical thing to do here is to lean on the system you currently trust the most to "get the shot". But, may I also make a suggestion? Mirrorless systems are a beautiful thing for travel because of their size, weight, and the ease of transporting and carrying them. Bring them both. If the X-E2 and manually focus isn't doing it for you, slip it in your bag and pull out the E-M5. Perhaps less demanding situations will arise and you can pull out the Fuji and get some time on it as well.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip and travel safe.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +4 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
jgoldstein2000
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
In reply to TThorne, 8 months ago

TThorne wrote:

As someone who shoots travel not only for pleasure but also for work, I beg you to ignore some of the advice you have been given thus far. This is not about "my camera is better than yours" type arguments, and I actually think you spelled out the answer for yourself here. Let me explain.

camrnw wrote:

Olympus OM-D E-M5

• 14mm f/2.5
  • 25mm f/1.4
  • 45mm f/1.8

Fuji X-E2

I can definitely see the pros/cons of bringing either. For the Olympus, it's the full range of lens choices, fast AF, and great EVF. It's the camera I trust to get the right shots.

That's it right there. It pretty much ends with that last statement. You HAVE TO trust your equipment. Period. End of story.

The Fuji X-E2 can be a very trustworthy camera, even more so than previous models due to AF improvements and various other advancements, however, learning to trust your gear is best done under low risk circumstances, where "getting the shot" is not all that important to you. Typically, going on vacation or some sort of travel arrangement is an occasion where you want to take in the scenery and shoot with ease, allowing your camera to be an extension of you as much as possible, not something you aren't fully sure of. It doesn't matter what camera or what manufacturer.

For the Fuji, though limited to one (manual) lens, that limitation can in a way be freeing - no need to change lenses.

This is absolutely true, as long as you are comfortable with the combo. That is the beauty of the X100 or X100S if 35mm is your cup of tea. Personally, I shot Paris and Belgium this summer and I only took 2 lenses, a 21mm and a 35mm, all manual focus (Leica body and lenses). That was it, but I was already comfortable with that setup, and trusted it fully. I prefer manual focus, and so on.

The X-E2 is great camera. If you can cozy up to it in time for your trip and you are comfortable, having put the camera and your available lens/lenses through their paces, then great. If you need a little more time, then take that time, and travel with your E-M5. What are you losing really? While I love the handling of Fuji cameras, more so than the E-M5, just look at how well the E-M5 has been received and reviewed. Look at how much success has been had with it. There is no reason to place it on the shelf if it is the system you currently trust the most as you state.

The EVF still doesn't quite compare to the Olympus though, and having to manually focus I will likely miss many shots.

As I said, manual focus is great, and for some of us it is preferred, but reading this statement, I would definitely suggest that your travel time not be the occasion to work this one out.

There is also one important point: the Fuji makes me want to go out and take pictures, whereas the Olympus feels like a tool.

This can be written off as almost irrational, since you either want to take pictures or you don't, but truth be told, I understand this feeling. Certain gear can feel inspiring, and photography is a lot about the journey as much as it is about the results. Just don't spoil the memory of the journey by spending time wrestling with equipment the whole time, and don't frustrate yourself pouring over the results to find out of focus or improperly exposed images. There will always be another trip, and by then your Fuji kit could look different, and your level of trust in it could be much higher.

Which would you pick?

In conclusion, I think the logical thing to do here is to lean on the system you currently trust the most to "get the shot". But, may I also make a suggestion? Mirrorless systems are a beautiful thing for travel because of their size, weight, and the ease of transporting and carrying them. Bring them both. If the X-E2 and manually focus isn't doing it for you, slip it in your bag and pull out the E-M5. Perhaps less demanding situations will arise and you can pull out the Fuji and get some time on it as well.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TTHOMe this was a great response.

-- hide signature --
TThorne
Like?
In reply to jgoldstein2000, 8 months ago

Thank you sir. I am passionate when it comes to travel.

-- hide signature --

Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH +4 more
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
In reply to jgoldstein2000, 8 months ago

jgoldstein2000 wrote:

TThorne wrote:

camrnw wrote:

Olympus OM-D E-M5

• 14mm f/2.5
  • 25mm f/1.4
  • 45mm f/1.8

Fuji X-E2

Which would you pick?

-- hide signature --

TTHOMe this was a great response.

You wont find a more down to earth, or more honest poster here than tthorne.  His views are in stark contrast to a lot of the tripe the unsuspecting reader has to wade through.

Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?

TThorne wrote:

Thank you sir. I am passionate when it comes to travel.

I'd say you are equally as passionate about truth and honesty as well sir.

Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 8 months ago

In that lineup? I'd take the Oly. More flexibility. That's a nice small collection of primes. You can switch lenses on the fly. No big deal. Shooting the Fuji with a lens mount adapter and one prime is fine as an adjunct to your main gear, but I wouldn't want to rely on it.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
FrankB2
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?

camrnw wrote:

Ha. It's not that simple. The likelihood of me buying an APSC (or FF) camera system is going to be low until they can produce glass that's small enough.

Pentax did that a while back (made small but very good glass for APS-C) with their DA Limited line of pancake lenses.  However, as with most things, there is a trade-off, in this case a bigger and heavier body, and slower lenses.  I've traveled quite a bit with a Pentax K-5 and the 15/4, 21/3.2, 40/2,8 and 70/2.4. The whole kit will fit easily in a Domke F5-XB.  But, as you can see, the lenses are a lot slower than the more or less comparable Fuji line up.  Very nice lenses though.

As much as I like the Pentax, and I still have the kit, I prefer the Fuji for the lighter weight and faster lenses with a comparable sensor to the K-5.  I do miss the weather sealing and overall robustness of the Pentax at times though, as well as what I think is the best dSLR ergonomics around.

Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,876Gear list
Like?

Bring the gear that is most fun.

Missed a shot, bad luck. You sleep 7 hours a day, that is a missed photo opportunity as well.

Last summer lugged a 7D around Paris 15 hours a day,next year it will be a small little X100

I'll bring the Funi.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
camrnw
Like?
In reply to MikeyLNG, 8 months ago

MikeyLNG wrote:

Very surprised to read the comment about the EM-5 viewfinder being better than the X-E2's. The latter is double the resolution and should have similar, if not not better refresh rate, and I think I remember reading that the magnification is similar too.

On paper the specs might be better, but in reality the difference is pretty stark. The smaller, lower resolution E-M5 viewfinder still beats the X-E2 in refresh rate (and not even with high frame rate mode enabled), which in my opinion, is where it counts the most.

camrnw
Like?
Thanks

Wow, that was a great writeup TThorne. Thank you.

You nailed it. The debate is between the camera I trust, vs. the camera that's fun. If I want to take great pictures, I need the camera I can trust. In fact, I've used the E-M5 the most frequently since it was released last year, whereas I've used my X-E1 and now X-E2 only sporadically over the past 6 months. Though I find the X-E2 more fun to use, I haven't yet gotten accustomed to it to the point where I feel most confident shooting with it, and so it's more of a recreational camera. That trust will come with use, but as you point out - traveling is not the place for that. It's better obtained from a low risk environment where it's okay to waste shots.

So, I think I'll take my E-M5 and save the X-E2 for a later trip!

Thanks!

TThorne
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 8 months ago

Humbling words my friend, thank you. I see giving advice with the same responsibility as doing my job. At the end of the day, my name is on it and I am accountable, if not to someone else then at least to myself, and that will always be important to me.

-- hide signature --

TThorne
Like?
Re: Thanks

camrnw wrote:

Wow, that was a great writeup TThorne. Thank you.

You nailed it. The debate is between the camera I trust, vs. the camera that's fun. If I want to take great pictures, I need the camera I can trust. In fact, I've used the E-M5 the most frequently since it was released last year, whereas I've used my X-E1 and now X-E2 only sporadically over the past 6 months. Though I find the X-E2 more fun to use, I haven't yet gotten accustomed to it to the point where I feel most confident shooting with it, and so it's more of a recreational camera. That trust will come with use, but as you point out - traveling is not the place for that. It's better obtained from a low risk environment where it's okay to waste shots.

So, I think I'll take my E-M5 and save the X-E2 for a later trip!

Thanks!

You made my day by letting me help, so you are very welcome. Would love to see your shots from the trip.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads